Property Prices At The Moment

hi can anyone tell me how is the prices of property going at the moment in thailand ? prices are dropping every where in europe and elsewhere now due to recession, is thailand the same ,im thinking about buying but would it be better to wait to 2009 and see will prices go down further,,im just talking about nice sized houses nothing too exclusive,im no millionaire......any info would be great thanks....

Barry, it depends where in Thailand you want to buy a house. In some areas property prices hardly ever go down even in tough economic times. Phuket is the best example, everyone thought Tsunami would ruin islands economy but never happened.

hi can anyone tell me how is the prices of property going at the moment in thailand ? prices are dropping every where in europe and elsewhere now due to recession, is thailand the same ,im thinking about buying but would it be better to wait to 2009 and see will prices go down further,,im just talking about nice sized houses nothing too exclusive,im no millionaire......any info would be great thanks....

Since you are new here, do you understand that foreigners in Thailand can not own the land under the house?

Most of people on this forum have houses in their Thai wife's name, some have through company ownership (complicated and not very secure), some do tricks like 30 years lease back from their Thai wife.

Many (like me) bought a condo, that is ok in own name, no land involved

Since you are new here, do you understand that foreigners in Thailand can not own the land under the house?

Most of people on this forum have houses in their Thai wife's name, some have through company ownership (complicated and not very secure), some do tricks like 30 years lease back from their Thai wife.

Many (like me) bought a condo, that is ok in own name, no land involved

thanks for advice,im new to forum but not new to every other aspect ,i just havent moved there full time yet ,no panic on me for a while ,just wondering what the situation is like now ,id like sattahip area ,,,im goin back in 10 weeks for month and i will take good look around,,,,cheers

The rules don't apply here. Buy to live and don't borrow to invest and you will be fine, your better off picking up housing that has bottomed out in UK, USA and OZ for bigger returns later

yes thanks zorro ,im buying to keep and not borrowing , im not going to be renting it ,im doing it for investment for my family to have it ,

All the " nae sayers" on this forum will bombard your mind with the usual, rent dont buy, if u cant spell it dont sign it, blah de blah de blah!.

Now there is a well known fact that at the beginning of this week, a document was submitted to parliment regarding changes ownership methods of Thai property, a 90 day consultation period exists, so from start of Nov, Start of Feb should see a result.

But i guess ther will be an influx of " members" or whatever, that "....if u have not seen the telly this week!

Does not matter what i put here, nae sayers will always put different.

So in answer to your opening question, the very simple answer is buy now before new legislation forces an increase by means of easier ownership and nothing else!!

Edited by LennyW

All the " nae sayers" on this forum will bombard your mind with the usual, rent dont buy, if u cant spell it dont sign it, blah de blah de blah!.

Now there is a well known fact that at the beginning of this week, a document was submitted to parliment regarding changes ownership methods of Thai property, a 90 day consultation period exists, so from start of Nov, Start of Feb should see a result. ( what result ? :o )

But i guess ther will be an influx of " members" or whatever, that "....if u have not seen the telly this week!

So in answer to your opening question, the very simple answer is buy now before new legislation forces an increase by means of easier ownership and nothing else!!

Lenny why is it with you it ALWAYS buy now buy now ........! unbelievable...........talk about bias !

There is no reason for anyone to act quickly.................why ? because

NO ONE knows what else is coming regarding the financial crisis and IMO there is worse

to come........................in the first quarter of 2009 and even if there isnt

a crash here in LOS equally there will no rampaging increases in values...........why not rent and take your time

until the recovery is clearly visible which wont be next year :D

Edited by midas

Now there is a well known fact that at the beginning of this week, a document was submitted to parliment regarding changes ownership methods of Thai property, a 90 day consultation period exists, so from start of Nov, Start of Feb should see a result.

Why is with you it ALWAYS buy now buy now ........! unbelievable...........

NO ONE knows what else is coming regarding the financial crisis and even if there isnt

a crash here equally there will no rampaging increases in values...........yes rent and take your time

and dont take notice of the estate agents on this thread :o

Just to put you out of your misery Midas, i am not a real estate agent, in any shape or form, i promise you that, i take it you know what i am reffering to above, since you have chosen to highlight it??, if so your comments are rather off, dont you think???

Why is with you it ALWAYS buy now buy now ........! unbelievable...........

NO ONE knows what else is coming regarding the financial crisis and even if there isnt

a crash here equally there will no rampaging increases in values...........yes rent and take your time

and dont take notice of the estate agents on this thread :D

Just to put you out of your misery Midas, i am not a real estate agent, in any shape or form, i promise you that, i take it you know what i am reffering to above, since you have chosen to highlight it??, if so your comments are rather off, dont you think???

Let me guess, you're not an economist either? :o

Edited by OlRedEyes

You certainly appear to have a vested interest of some kind because all your postings are so heavily biased

regarding buying real estate and this current posting way your telling the person there is an

urgent need to him to buy now is total rubbish! Blind Freddie could tell you the opposite is true and

its only now that the warnings are starting to appear about the Thai economy itself -so the real crisis

hasn't even started here yet -but it will

Now there is a well known fact that at the beginning of this week, a document was submitted to parliment regarding changes ownership methods of Thai property, a 90 day consultation period exists, so from start of Nov, Start of Feb should see a result. ( what result ? :o )

Lenny why is it with you it ALWAYS buy now buy now ........! unbelievable...........talk about bias !

NO ONE knows what else is coming regarding the financial crisis and IMO there is worse

to come........................in the first quarter of 2009 and even if there isnt

a crash here in LOS equally there will no rampaging increases in values...........why not rent and take your time

thanks midas i agree with you ,the full recession hasent hit eu

rope yet either ,id say around march/april we will be in the thick of it, thats why i posted the thread ,i thought to my self that i would be better to wait until well in 2009 before i make a move,thailand cant be any different to anywhere else regarding this economic downturn,,you couldnt give away houses at the moment here in ireland.ive seen houses drop from 1.4 million euro in dublin to 730.000 euro now.an half acre site in the country was getting up to 120.000 euro ,i bet by next june 50.000 will buy it.imagine paying 120 thousand euro before you lay a block-madness...

I hope prices aren't going down on Bangkok houses. I just found a 4.3mb house. Unfortunately I don't see that my house value will increase anytime soon, but I don't see that the price will fall either. People can't get mortages here as easy as they could in America/Europe, so Thais can generally afford their payments on homes I think.

thanks midas i agree with you ,the full recession hasent hit eu

rope yet either ,id say around march/april we will be in the thick of it, thats why i posted the thread ,i thought to my self that i would be better to wait until well in 2009 before i make a move,thailand cant be any different to anywhere else regarding this economic downturn,,you couldnt give away houses at the moment here in ireland.ive seen houses drop from 1.4 million euro in dublin to 730.000 euro now.an half acre site in the country was getting up to 120.000 euro ,i bet by next june 50.000 will buy it.imagine paying 120 thousand euro before you lay a block-madness...

Are we talking new or second hand market? I doubt the new pricing will drop however second hand is a different story

I hope prices aren't going down on Bangkok houses. I just found a 4.3mb house. Unfortunately I don't see that my house value will increase anytime soon, but I don't see that the price will fall either. People can't get mortages here as easy as they could in America/Europe, so Thais can generally afford their payments on homes I think.

this is how I interpret things also. But who wants to put money into an asset right now with so much uncertainty

without much chance of capital gain and where you risk having a very illiquid asset?

Are we talking new or second hand market? I doubt the new pricing will drop however second hand is a different story

Actually zorro I'll be even more optimistic than that and say maybe things for new and old could just be ' flat '

for quite some time-not very exciting

Edited by midas

That hardly understandable (if it complies with any western expectations at all) property market in Thai - they (Thais) could be drawing it from Japan's menthality. Like the cars in the West - as soon you drive it out of a sales yard, it loses considerable in her value.

This property has been abandoned, 30 years old, worthless, sitting dormant for 5 years now. Somebody is looking for a developer to find some interest in demolishing it and erecting a new building.

Same style properties would be still inhabited in Thai. But, do they bring that extra value as in the west?

Don't tell me about building management and maintenance. Japanese are perfect at that - while it lasts and until the building gets to it's end of life.

abandoned.jpg

Start of Feb see a result :o:D :D in three months??? No way. :D :D :(

If there is the slightest chance that the laws might be changed to make it easier for foreigners to buy land here then you can forget it. Never happens, any proposal always get thrown out on the grounds that Thailand is for the Thais.

:D:P:burp: Not in the business are we?

A lifetime of experience has shown me that the "buy now before it is too late" offer ALWAYS leads to a hurried purchase which is regretted later.

Actually zorro I'll be even more optimistic than that and say maybe things for new and old could just be ' flat '

for quite some time-not very exciting

Midas what I really meant was second had COULD be a different story but we all know the rules don't seem to apply here so the market price for both may even increase, you know the mentality right? Not selling so jack the price :o

Start of Feb see a result :o:D:D in three months??? No way. :D:D:(

If there is the slightest chance that the laws might be changed to make it easier for foreigners to buy land here then you can forget it. Never happens, any proposal always get thrown out on the grounds that Thailand is for the Thais.

A lifetime of experience has shown me that the "buy now before it is too late" offer ALWAYS leads to a hurried purchase which is regretted later.

I can understand say, British people in Britain going on about the market. 'When to buy, is it going to crash', but for foreigners buying in Thailand, well, it's like not really buying. You don't own it. I've got land, houses etc, but the wife's got the freehold and I have 30+30 year lease.

You don't invest in Thailand. You spend money there and enjoy doing it. But it can hardly be called investment.

Condo's are not a long term investment surely?

Start of Feb see a result :o:D:D in three months??? No way. :D:D:(

Happened before for condos, 100% foreign ownership was allowed, this was for a period after the 97 crash, so as with anything else in Thailand, anything is possible :P

Happened before for condos, 100% foreign ownership was allowed, this was for a period after the 97 crash, so as with anything else in Thailand, anything is possible :D

Erm...............bit of a difference to now though when banks around the world are not lending

money any more so HOW can there be a any meaningful increases :o

Curious Lenny are you a developer or a builder? :o

Edited by BEENTHEREDONETHAT

Curious Lenny are you a developer or a builder? :o

FROM Asia Pacific News

Property developers like Raimon Land are naturally concerned about what lies ahead. But they said their prime locations in Bangkok and beyond will help them.

Said Nigel Cornick, CEO of Raimon Land: "We are thinking we will probably be in for a tough period along with other Asian countries. To some extent, we're seeing it with the banking sector and credit controls being stricter."

Political instability is another concern. The Thai stock market has lost half of its value since anti-government protests began over five months ago. Violent clashes between protesters and police in early October left two dead and hundreds injured.Industry watchers said the worldwide credit crunch is the main factor dragging down the sector.