Double Pricing

mrmazinkle

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, as stated before, I would be willing to help finance an effort to challenge the practice in the court system -- if the bleaters ever decide they want to do something besides bleat.

I pretty much agree with you on all this. The bleaters as you call them have wider issues here i think. My point being that nowheres perfect and this is quite simply an example of an unsavory practice that takes place here. Don't let it get you down, just don't use these people. I'm sure most Thais would be quite happy too if we did'nt use these people and spent our money with honest Thais.

Enough already. The fact that some people can occasionally skirt the policy by masquerading as Thais does not make it racist, either in rule, intent, or spirit.

Got it now?

What I got is that, to your own discredit, you've merely missed the point again, which is not that some people skirt the policy. It's that the Thai institutions allow them to skirt the policy precisely because they apply the policy on a racial basis. If they didn't apply it racially, then nobody could skirt the policy. Farangs are never allowed to skirt the policy--because of their race. They must always present proof of residency, if they have it, to be charged the Thai price. Asians, though foreign and non-resident, don't have to present proof of anything to be charged the Thai price (if they keep their mouths shut)--and that is because they are Asians.

You would be correct if a non-resident farang occasionally skirted the policy by masquerading as a Thai. But that just never, ever happens. Why? Think hard about it.

It's not the main issue, but I'll observe that proof of residency doesn't work at all anyway for a farang. Present your proof, even of Thai citizenship, to a Phuket or Pattaya songtaew driver. Doesn't mean a thing, you'll never get the Thai price. But, as above, an Asian will.

Yawn. More blather about farangs with Thai ID's not getting Thai price from someone who doesn't know s#it from shinola.

Would they catch more sneakers by making everyone present ID? Sure. Does that mean they should do it? Ip to them, but I think it's going a bit overboard, and they obviously think so themselves.

So, is it the policy you dislike, or that some people are able to sneak and you aren't? We've already established that the number of places who won't admit a Thai resident upon showing a license, work permit, or credit card can be counted on one hand, so what do you continue to bleat about, exactly?

Yawn. More blather about farangs with Thai ID's not getting Thai price from someone who doesn't know s#it from shinola.

By this sore loser acknowledgement we know that, underneath, you know you've lost a point. Sorry, pal.

Would they catch more sneakers by making everyone present ID? Sure. Does that mean they should do it? Ip to them, but I think it's going a bit overboard, and they obviously think so themselves.

Of course they think so, as they aren't the objects of any racial discrimination. A majority typically doesn't see the real OR PERCEIVED discrimination against a minority or understand how that minority feels. You can ask black people in the USA about this point.

But most farangs (except the Thai wannabes and apologists for all things Thai) don't think it's going overboard--I don't--and it would certainly end all the numerous and recurring complaints of racial discrimination and ill feelings. In the USA, if you want the "senior discount" from the regular price, you present your ID. Here, if you want your Thai discount, you should present your Thai ID or resident ID even if you look Thai. Otherwise, you're charged the "regular" price. And at each venue, a sign would state the policy clearly in Thai and in English (no games):

Admission: B200; Thai citizen or resident ID holder (must show ID): B100.

Makes perfectly good sense and would be beneficial in a number of ways, which I can't mention here, not wishing to confuse you further.

So, is it the policy you dislike,

Duh. Here it is for the THIRD time: I--WE--don't like the racist application of the policy (when in fact it IS a policy). Please write that down 10 times and try hard each time to grasp its profound subtlety.

By this sore loser acknowledgement we know that, underneath, you know you've lost a point. Sorry, pal.

How do you figure? The guy is saying that farangs with Thai ID have to pay Thai price anyway because Thais are basically racist.

Well...here's a farang with Thai ID that is saying he is full of sh*t. He made a presumption based on zero knowledge or experience, and was wrong. So who lost that point again, pal?

Anyway, this whole argument reminds me of high school. I used to hang with a group with a couple Asian kids in it. When we all got to be 17 or so, the older looking ones of us (who just happened to be white and black) used to be able to sneak into clubs when the drinking age was 18. We looked old for our age, and just strode by the doorman when he was busy with someone else, looking confident.

My Asian friends were carded every time, because they looked younger for their age.

Was it because the doorman was racist who like blacks and white but hated Asians? I say no -- he was just doing his job and challenging anyone who looked under the drinking age -- but a bleater might say yes.

Was there any nudge-nudge-wink-wink policy that underage white guys could get in while underage Asians couldn't? I say no -- it just happened that more white guys look older than their age than Asians. But a bleater might say that the doorman was a Nazi-sympathizing racist.

Would the policy have been better more fairly carried out had the doorman carded every single person who wanted to get into the club, whether they were 17 or 87? Yeah, I guess so -- but that would have probably been impractical and more effort than the guy wanted to put in.

Every now and then, one of the Asian kids would bleat about "racism". And we'd be like, dude, you look like you're twelve! You're basically mad that the rest of us can sneak in and you can't -- not because you're Asian, but because you still look like a kid.

That doesn't make the 18 drinking age racist, or the doorman racist.

But if it will help your fragile ego to believe that you are the victim of racism, then continue to bleat on.

Great example of the garbage one has to wade through to get to the few nuggets of useful information on this forum.

For the record, I never said there was no double pricing in Thailand (there is lots) and never defended it (I think it is abhorrent, at least when practiced by private businesses).

It's the terming it as "racist" that is dead wrong: the policy is based on nationality, not race in any way, shape, or form.

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you.

Quite right. It has nothing to do with racism.

What it is though is disgraceful and those that do practise double pricing should be ashamed of themselves. IMHO decent people just don't do this. Theres a very simple way to get around this one though.......just don't buy anything from these establishments and then one day the penny might drop. Either way, one should'nt tarnish everyone as the same, because its far from the case. The people at the places i buy my food etc would'nt dream of charging me more than a Thai.

I fully agree with the above.

The local Village Barber I use here has a price list on display, only one. I, and everyone, pay as per this price list.

Wouldn't it be nice if all establishments had such a list on display. Of course that will never ever happen.

How do you figure? The guy is saying that farangs with Thai ID have to pay Thai price anyway because Thais are basically racist.

Well...here's a farang with Thai ID that is saying he is full of sh*t. He made a presumption based on zero knowledge or experience, and was wrong. So who lost that point again, pal?

Anyway, this whole argument reminds me of high school. I used to hang with a group with a couple Asian kids in it. When we all got to be 17 or so, the older looking ones of us (who just happened to be white and black) used to be able to sneak into clubs when the drinking age was 18. We looked old for our age, and just strode by the doorman when he was busy with someone else, looking confident.

My Asian friends were carded every time, because they looked younger for their age.

Was it because the doorman was racist who like blacks and white but hated Asians? I say no -- he was just doing his job and challenging anyone who looked under the drinking age -- but a bleater might say yes.

Was there any nudge-nudge-wink-wink policy that underage white guys could get in while underage Asians couldn't? I say no -- it just happened that more white guys look older than their age than Asians. But a bleater might say that the doorman was a Nazi-sympathizing racist.

Would the policy have been better more fairly carried out had the doorman carded every single person who wanted to get into the club, whether they were 17 or 87? Yeah, I guess so -- but that would have probably been impractical and more effort than the guy wanted to put in.

Every now and then, one of the Asian kids would bleat about "racism". And we'd be like, dude, you look like you're twelve! You're basically mad that the rest of us can sneak in and you can't -- not because you're Asian, but because you still look like a kid.

But if it will help your fragile ego to believe that you are the victim of racism, then continue to bleat on.

Pretty good example, Richard. But alas, they still won't get it.

The Grand Palace is a place of worship and the most sacred place for the Thai people. You can't charge them an admission; this one doesn't bother me.

I might be missing something. A place of worship and sacred for Thai people or Thai and Buddhists

The Grand Palace is a place of worship and the most sacred place for the Thai people. You can't charge them an admission; this one doesn't bother me.

I might be missing something. A place of worship and sacred for Thai people or Thai and Buddhists

It is a place of special pilgrimage for the Thai people...not for any other nationality -- similar to Shwedagon in Yangon, which is free for Burmese nationals to enter but not for anyone else (including Thais and Buddhists from other countries).

Of course, you can show up at the gate of the Grand Palace and scream and scream and holler that you're a Buddhist and want to get in free to pray...and see how far that gets you. I would love to be there.

I could recommend a few places were you're triple-priced or more, and you only get half of what the Thai's get. It's because they hope you'll turn around and go home. Especially if you have a British accent.

My dentist has a sign (in Thai) clearly outlining the difference in prices for locals and farang. We had a discussion about it once, and I got nowhere. However, as she's about the best dentist I've ever had, I continue to get all my work done there.

more fool you

you do have a story for everything to back up your Thai-ness .

Some people are just happier thinking they are a victim all the time, I guess.

No I don't think so.

It is more that some people want to be something they are not even if it means going into denial ,hence your Thai-ness

Its up to thais to decide if temples and national parks should be free to its people-i have no issue with that.

3rd party attractions the practice dual pricing won't get a baht out of me. Who really wants to see wax figures or some fish in a tank at a shopping mall anyway. Do your homework before you go and you won't arrive there disappointed.

Its up to thais to decide if temples and national parks should be free to its people-i have no issue with that.

3rd party attractions the practice dual pricing won't get a baht out of me. Who really wants to see wax figures or some fish in a tank at a shopping mall anyway. Do your homework before you go and you won't arrive there disappointed.

Im not often in total agreement with James but this time i am. Ill have to go see a doc for a checkup something is seriously wrong here. :D

Im not often in total agreement with James but this time i am. Ill have to go see a doc for a checkup something is seriously wrong here. :D

Its called conditioning rob. As a dog owner I would have expected you to know this. Just refer to me as the tv whisperer-with a big mouth. ;)

Edited by bkkjames

Its called conditioning rob. As a dog owner I would have expected you to know this. Just refer to me as the tv whisperer-with a big mouth. ;)

You should come over here and help me train my stuborn dog. :D He seems to fear my wife but knows i wont harm him whatever he does. Im too much of a nice guy.

My dentist has a sign (in Thai) clearly outlining the difference in prices for locals and farang. We had a discussion about it once, and I got nowhere. However, as she's about the best dentist I've ever had, I continue to get all my work done there.

more fool you

Yes, an absolute fool. :lol: Especially as Thailand dentistry is generally excellent, yet he still gives his money to a crook!

Pretty good example, Richard. But alas, they still won't get it.

Neither will you

Your post appeared immediately after my post, so I assumed you were talking about me. I'm saying the policy is applied in a racist fashion and it is. You can't refute that point. All you do is just try to trivialize it.

<snip>

This example, while interesting, reflects a much different situation and isn't appropriate, relevant, or instructive. I would agree BTW that the Asian guys had some basis for a discrimination complaint because the whitey doorman couldn't read Asian ages by their appearance. If the doorman were Asian, then he could.

If this were a significant economic issue that might lead to legal action, then the club would voluntarily give the doorman a course in "sensitivity training" that would end the complaints.

Having to show my ID whereas non-Thai, non-resident (or resident) Asians who look like Thais do not and receive the Thai discount even though non-resident clearly is a racist application of the policy. You may trivialize the event and the amount of money involved, but the fact isn't altered; and most of us object to it on principle, not because it is any big hardship. And I've shown you how those objections can be handled to end them entirely as in civilized countries (the "senior discount").

Not to object is to offer what a famous writer called the consent of the victim. I'm not going to offer that consent--not because of what you term "fragile ego," but out of personal integrity and dignity. Lacking such qualities, you can, sheep-like, if you wish.

Nor am I personally ever victimized by that particular little racist action--and so I don't claim that I am a victim--because I never patronize any establishment with any form of dual pricing that I'm aware of. I boycott them as do many other members here. Not only do I dislike the policy itself in any private business, but I intensely dislike how it is applied, anywhere here, as I've stated.

Edited by JSixpack

• 3 weeks later...

Great example of the garbage one has to wade through to get to the few nuggets of useful information on this forum.

For the record, I never said there was no double pricing in Thailand (there is lots) and never defended it (I think it is abhorrent, at least when practiced by private businesses).

It's the terming it as "racist" that is dead wrong: the policy is based on nationality, not race in any way, shape, or form.

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you.

Wrong ! Anything based on the color of your skin is Racist, any way you twist it around or try to explain it, It's Racist !