Trade/vocational Schools In Cm?

Dustoff

It is becoming increasingly obvious that my Thai stepson will likely not be able to qualify for a University education but I very much wish to provide an education for him that will serve him well in the future.

I attended a vocational, or what we call a 'trade school' in America and am wondering if something similar is available in Thailand, specifically in Chiang Mai.

Aptitude testing is strongly desired as, over more than seven years, I have been unable to encourage an interest in education or discover an aptitude in him beyond computer games and soccer. He is twelve years old and will be ready to attend junior high in the next school year.

We have had him tested at a couple of high quality schools here in CM and, in spite of five years in a decent private school, he simply does not meet their standards. I am afraid that a standard high school education will not prepare him for an occupation much above carrying buckets of wet concrete at construction sites but I cannot in all conscience allow that to happen.

Please post your thoughts either here or PM me - any input would be greatly appreciated.

My thanks in advance.

Ken/Dustoff

I know it might sound impertinent but have you asked him what he'd like to do? Carrying buckets of wet concrete might be the very thing he's always dreamed of.

Umm, impertinent indeed and I almost want to respond with, "Geez, I never thought of that :o" but, my wife and I being very much into education and alternatives, the answer is a definitive yes.

I seriously doubt that carrying buckets of concrete is any boy's dream but I mentioned that because I have frequently walked with him past construction sites, and other places where low-paid, menial labor is going on, and asked him if this is the kind of life he would like to lead. His response? "I don't care."

I am not one to push my ideals on anyone else but his Mom and I certainly DO care about his future and would simply like to find an alternative beyond grinding servitude. Call me idealistic but I make no apologies for wanting the best possible future for my family..

Thanks for your response.

There are many vocational schools here in CM. It is not easy but if you can get him to a time limit of daily computer games it will surely help. Not more than about an hour a day. He will need to do that to get through vocational school.

Sorry to say, but vocational schools in Thailand are ...well ... the antechambers of low paid jobs. Ask him what kind of salary he would like to get when he's older, then show him the jobs classified in the BKK Post...

Here in Thailand, without AT LEAST a BA, the maximum you can expect is THB 5-6'000/month ... :D

We have had him tested at a couple of high quality schools here in CM and, in spite of five years in a decent private school, he simply does not meet their standards.

In many "high quality" :o schools, THEIR standards is simply the size of YOUR bank account... Sad but true. So it doesn't mean that the boy is a dummy. Maybe some private lessons might help him ?

My advice is don't give up on the university education thing. Is only 12 and he might realize soon that he must move his ass, no matter in which school he studies. Even kids from normal Government schools can get to the university.

The there is university AND university :

1) CMU ----> Only the best students with the best grades

1) PAYAP or others ----> Papa and mama pay $$$$$

In his case, the second option might be considered in the future.

Good luck

Here in Thailand, without AT LEAST a BA, the maximum you can expect is THB 5-6'000/month ... :o

Sathip2008 is wrong on several points.

Pay for tradesmen is often double the above figures and can be much more for a guy that can bid his jobs and manage work for himself and a couple of helpers.

Payap is now actually better academically than CMU in more than a few majors.

Here in Thailand, without AT LEAST a BA, the maximum you can expect is THB 5-6'000/month ... :o

Sathip2008 is wrong on several points.

Pay for tradesmen is often double the above figures and can be much more for a guy that can bid his jobs and manage work for himself and a couple of helpers.

Payap is now actually better academically than CMU in more than a few majors.

Payap may be better academiacally (more budget to invest in facilities) but to get into CMU you need to pass an entrance examination which is very stressful for 12 grade students. So only smart kids usually go to CMU

and on to the question:

Your stepson is 12 years old so he still has 3-4 more years to decide but first he must complete grade 9 (or Mor 3) before getting into vocational school. After finishing vocational school, he can be mechanic/ electrician or working in computer field. The popular one in the city is "Srithana" near Kad Suan Kaew. Another one is "Lanna Poly Technic" near Lanna hospital. May I recommend another option: join the army....

The English program at CMU has been shameful for very long time.

Unless something has changed there, it is really more of a refresher course for the kids who have studied English at private language academies and know it all already. Students who haven't been so lucky, and actually have to learn the information for the first time, often struggle to keep up with the quick pace of the ones who are just reviewing what they already know.

If the rest of the courses are run anything like the English Department, it does not deserve its good reputation.

He's 12 years old. Let him be a kid for a while and he will find his own way. So long as you and your wife model good behavior for him, he'll be able to make good choices when he's a bit older. There are many vocational schools in Chiang Mai, including Lanna Polytechnic, RIT, and Sarapat Chang.

He's 12 years old. Let him be a kid for a while and he will find his own way. So long as you and your wife model good behavior for him, he'll be able to make good choices when he's a bit older. There are many vocational schools in Chiang Mai, including Lanna Polytechnic, RIT, and Sarapat Chang.

i would encourage his english skills, he , having a ferang step dad, probably speaks english already. If he is not too shy around ferang, and gets some trade skills he will do well. General Building is a good grounding. There is a huge market here for Thais to act as middle men for ferang wanting work done around the house, and its very hard to get anyone half decent. Good luck to the lad.

Your stepson sounds just like my son, who is now 15. I don't usually like giving advice to anyone, but here are some words of advice anyway.. His computer playing can very easily become an addiction, if it isn't already. You will know the signs. You must start dealing with and controlling that right now or it can very easily become uncontrollable in the not too distant future. You are going to have to be very careful in how you do it. As with everything else about raising kids, you're going to have to figure out how to deal with it in your and your wife's own way. Too bad they didn't come with instructions. I don't believe that just letting him be a kid and he will grow out of it is going to work. Just look at all of the motorcycles triple parked in front of all of the internet game stores and that should give you an indication of things to come. Don't worry about getting him into a trade school right now. That can come in M.4. Right now just try to get him into the best school that will accept him, and if worse comes to worse there are schools that will have to take him. Keep on top of what he is doing, don't give up prodding him [gently, or with a cattle prod if necessary] to study and do his homework, and continuously look for any signs that would indicate what subjects may interest him. I highly agree with the last poster about developing his English skills.

Good luck. You're going to need it.

Dustoff; 12 is young for the kids to know what they want to do (in most cases), If you can get him to indicate a interest in a trade of some kind, working on computer, building, electrial, plumbing, or whatever. You might consider letting him help a local who does this type of work over the school holidays (even as a gofer) I have been aquainted with several teenagers who fit your stepsons description, one ended up doing auto engine repair (tech school) another, auto body repair (learned on the job), plumbing (learned on the job) bricklayer (job learned) etc. Its not hopeless and some students are not college material, even though parents may hate to admit it. If and when you find that thing that gets his interest try to get him the chance to see if that is what he really would like to do. Its too bad Thailand does not seem to have the avenue for these kids to get a recongized skill and put it to use. Auto body shops seem to do good here as there is no lack of potential customers and its not a high investment business to get into. Good luck and with you and the wife gently pushing and sugesting he may be the next auto paint franchiser, or whatever, in Thailand.

Excellent posts and thank you SO much higgy88, drfang, slapout, JoshCM, Puwa, et al..

Our son is now living mostly in Chaiyaphum with my wife's family where he is attending a Catholic private school, his grades are actually on the rise over the past few months and he is seemingly burning out on his own with video game cafes. It is looking like he will be attending a private school here in CM as of next May, a school my wife is checking out even as I write. I don't know the name of the school but will post it later for opinions.

I didn't realize that vocational schools came into play until later in his education and appreciate all of your input. We will indeed push hard for a good education in English, even if he has to have private tutors on the weekends which we have done before. I think it will help if we speak only English in our home since my wife has an extensive vocabulary in English and reads/writes it very well indeed. My Thai, on the other hand, sucks..

Tough choices ahead and a strong consideration is that, even if something happens to me in the meantime, the U.S. Government Veterans Admin will provide for tuition/living expenses if he can qualify for Payap University which is a real plus.

I love the ThaiVisa forums! So many good ideas presented on this thread, many of which I have already considered and instituted but there are others like having him volunteer work in areas that seem to match his interests/aptitudes are pure genius.

Okay, I JUST got a call from a very excited wife and the school is Vachiralai which sounds to be East of Hang Dong toward Sarapi in a bit of a country setting; anybody heard of it?

It takes a family to raise a stressed step-father, eh? :o

• 4 weeks later...

My guess, neither knowing you or your stepson, is that maybe that attitude comes from his assumption that you will ultimately 'save' him because you are a farang. It is easy for kids to feel this way, and I have had to deal with this issue a few times myself. If it is true, better to acknowledge it to youself first, and if it is not true, deal with him with Reality.

I hadn't read this thread before, and I must say I am greatly impressed with practical and thoughtful general advice that characterizes almost all contributions.

I very much hope that more direct experience with various schools comes to light. I regret that I have none to offer, but I do believe that there are a number of opportunities that do not demand a university education (which is an option too early to discard for a 12 year-old), which may or may not be great shakes. There are a lot of clerks in town with university degrees. But, say, what about an English-speaking owner-operator of a van for hire? So, if I were to underscore one skill your son can develop it is to speak (especially), read and write English. And he is in a perfect place to do that! He's got you and his mother!

Edited by Mapguy