Changing My Thai Wife's Surname After Marriage

Hi,

I am getting married in January to a Thai in Bangkok, once we are married she will need to change her name legally so that her passport can be changed, then in turn apply for her UK Visa.

My question is can her name be changed in Bangkok whilst we are there or will she have to return home and change it at her local office where she is registred?

Also is there anywhere else we can get her name changed on the passport apart form Bangkok, Surrathani is our nearest city?

Hi,

I am getting married in January to a Thai in Bangkok, once we are married she will need to change her name legally so that her passport can be changed, then in turn apply for her UK Visa.

My question is can her name be changed in Bangkok whilst we are there or will she have to return home and change it at her local office where she is registred?

Also is there anywhere else we can get her name changed on the passport apart form Bangkok, Surrathani is our nearest city?

She needs to change her name on her ID card first and that has to be done at the local Amphur where she is registered on her tabien baan. She doesn't have to change her name first though, she

can apply for her visa in her maiden name if that's whats in her passport then just use her married name when she gets to the UK.

Not sure where she has to go to change her name in her passport.

Wife has her Thai passport in her own name and UK PP in my surname...No Problems.

She has her own property/houses,condos and land registered in her T name and its easier when buying/selling.

I also recon it makes makes travelling in LOS hassle free and less confusion as well....but as they say up 2 u :o

When you get married in January, you will need to do it at any Amphur, in order to get the paperwork done.

One of the questions that you will be asked is if you wife wishes to take your surname.

If so they will do all of the paperwork and and your Marriage papers will show that.

You can then get your wifes ID card re issued at that Amphur at the same time.

You then take your wifes passport to the passport office with the marriage paperwork and new ID card, and they will organise a new passport for her.

Good luck with it all.

At some point I thought you had to process the paperwork thru the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. I believe you need this paperwork prior to obtaining new ID Card and Passport. I may be wrong, but that's what my wife had to do - maybe because we didn't get married in Thailand.

Just wanted to bring up the point in case previous posted missed this step.

At almost every step with various paperwork it was far more convenient that my wife has NOT changed her name.

Even buying a property - in 2 names, if she had changed hers even the developer would have asked for marriage certificate.

At Oz Embassy, when we applied for baby's citizenship and 1 month later, for Oz passport, the officer said "had she changed we would have to ask you for translation of your marriage certificate".

The land she owns remains hers, change name or not. So, with her name unchanged, for dealings in Thai she is 100% Thai with no confusion and guessing if Mrs. Watchara Smith has bigger funds now than before her marriage.

Now, only her ID card will have to be changed to show "Mrs.".

Wife has her Thai passport in her own name and UK PP in my surname...No Problems.

She has her own property/houses,condos and land registered in her T name and its easier when buying/selling.

I also recon it makes makes travelling in LOS hassle free and less confusion as well....but as they say up 2 u :o

No need for name change but entering the UK it is advisable to give her a copy of the marriage certificate and return ticket with the the reason for the visit.

and if you can make sure she goes through immigration first so that you can be available in case of any problms

When you get married in January, you will need to do it at any Amphur, in order to get the paperwork done.

One of the questions that you will be asked is if you wife wishes to take your surname.

If so they will do all of the paperwork and and your Marriage papers will show that.

You can then get your wifes ID card re issued at that Amphur at the same time.

You then take your wifes passport to the passport office with the marriage paperwork and new ID card, and they will organise a new passport for her.

Good luck with it all.

Agree with all above from Aussietraveller but changing her surname will not require a new passport. They just make a notation in her current passport that her surname name has changed.

Went to the local amphur office to change the tabian baan and at the same time change my wife's surname. The amphur office issued a certificate to the effect that her surname had changed and the surname was changed in the tabian baan book as well.

The change of ID card can be done afterwards at any amphur office based on the marriage certificate and the change of surname certificate.

Next step will be her passport and that should only be a registration in her passport that her surname had changed.

Interesting read - shows everybody's experiences are the best teacher. My wife is Thai in Thailand and Aussie in Australia. If she wanders into amphur to do land transaction, even a whiff of a farang in the background 'brings out the brown baggers'. <deleted>? Sorry, Aussie slang for how bribes were given to Queenslander coppers (= police) back in the good old days, in a brown paper bag. So if you want to avoid an amphur official 'squeezing' for a contributuion to his/her retirement fund, suggest dont change name and dont go to the amphur with her....

No need for name change but entering the UK it is advisable to give her a copy of the marriage certificate and return ticket with the the reason for the visit.

and if you can make sure she goes through immigration first so that you can be available in case of any problms

There's no need to separate to go through immigration at a UK airport, you can both go through either channel together so just pick the one with the shortest queue.

There's no need to separate to go through immigration at a UK airport, you can both go through either channel together so just pick the one with the shortest queue.
Not necessarily. If it is her first entry then they will probably not let her through the UK/EU channel. Even if a subsequent entry then she may not be allowed through, especially if she only has a visit visa. According to an IO working in T3 it is up to the IO's discretion, even if the non UK/EU citizen has ILR.

However, a British citizen may accompany a non UK/EU citizen through that channel.

every time i fly back into birmingham airport the non uk/eu queue is normally much much shorter and i just go through that one. equally now when i go to thailand i go through the thai passport control when i am with my wife. I had read that i could and when arriving at the airport we asked an official and tehy said it was possibly because we were family. I then told my friend about it and he told one of his friends. when this guy tried it they wouldnt stamp his passport even though he was with his thai wife and a kid.

I'm planning to get married next year too so this is a very relevant topic. Am I right in thinking that the bare minimum changes would be to change miss to mrs on ID card, keeping the maiden name? Does this also apply to the tabien baan?

Not necessarily. If it is her first entry then they will probably not let her through the UK/EU channel. Even if a subsequent entry then she may not be allowed through, especially if she only has a visit visa. According to an IO working in T3 it is up to the IO's discretion, even if the non UK/EU citizen has ILR.

However, a British citizen may accompany a non UK/EU citizen through that channel.

As we live in Thailand my wife has always had a visit visa and we have gone through both channels without any problems and when I first asked if we could go through together ( because the first time when we went through different channels the non EU channel was held up for about an hour and I didn't have a clue what was happening and nobody would tell me) I was told by an immigration officer that we could go together through either channel (at Manchester airport).

*****So if you want to avoid an amphur official 'squeezing' for a contributuion to his/her retirement fund, suggest dont change name and dont go to the amphur with her***** Quote from Greenone.

Sadly this is true re not joining you're Thai Wife for many transactions in many places. Even more sad is that this will never change!

• 1 month later...
I wanted to understand how a name change affects the purchase of property. If a house or condo is purchased, wouldn't having the same last name be beneficial. Not only is it clear who owns the property, but also that the property is jointly owned through marriage.

A foreigner can't "purely" own land, even through marriage. When you purchase property together or register a marriage, the foreigner has to sign some kind of document stating that they understand they have no claim to land ownership. I'm not sure about a house or structure on the land...somehow a foreigner can own that part...but not the land.

My wife was a little perplexed and thought I didn't want her to take my American surname but has recognized the wise-ness of keeping her Thai surname over the past 8 years of our marriage. Personally, I would like her to have my last name but I truly think that not changing your wife's surname is far more beneficial and far more hassle free living over the long run.

Regards,

Martian

I'm not sure of the hassle you are talking about Rin. My Mrs took on my surname and it's never been a problem, whether buying land or entering the country.

A foreigner can't "purely" own land, even through marriage. When you purchase property together or register a marriage, the foreigner has to sign some kind of document stating that they understand they have no claim to land ownership.

I signed the same when we bought some land. However, in the event of the wife dying, the ownership transfers to the husband but if he is Farang he HAS to sell it within a time period (1 year i think). I don't know what hassle this would cause if you had seperate surnames but it's something to think about.

I'm not sure about a house or structure on the land...somehow a foreigner can own that part...but not the land.

One way is for the Mrs to buy the land and then the husband leases it off her for something like a 30 year lease plus 30 year option. The husband then builds the house on it. All legal, she can't kick him off in the unfortunate event of a split up. If she wants to sell it, the buyer will buy it with a tenant sat there for upto 60 years, so it's not that valuable.

My wife had no choice when we got married because it was before the court ruling. But she would of done it any.

She has never had any problems because of having my name.

If somebody was to try and get tea money from her because she has a farang last name she is so strong willed she woudl very quickly let them know that it won't work with her.

She has zero tolerance for double pricing. I have suffered from it many times having to walk a ways to find a taxi that would use the meter or a tuk tuk that gave the correct price.

One problem you may run up against if she does not change her name is if you apply to get an extension based upon marriage at immigration. They could consider her not taking your last name to mean that the marriage does not meet the requirement mentioned in the following line of the police order that covers extentions.

"(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto;"