Paradise Beach - Try To Get You To Pay To Swim

phuketrex

3 of us got the "treat like sh1t" treatment at Paradise Beach couple of days ago. We ate first at a table under the trees so they got 600 baht out of us for that. Then we wanted a swim so walked down to a shaded area of the beach at the east end and were changing on some rocks when the "owner" came along and demanded that we pay 100 baht each for a sunbed...but we didn't want beds. He then starts going on about the beach being private and that they clean it every day and we had to pay.

We argue back at him that we've just spent 600baht at his restaurant; we don't want beds and the beach is not private. He says us eating at the restaurant had nothing to do with it as it and the beach are "seperate"...now we were on the beach we had to pay. Then he asks where we'd parked our bikes and we pointed where they were with all the others..."private" he says again and the road to the beach is private property too.

The arguing went on for about 10 minutes, we refused to pay and finally he went off only to be replaced by his wife or partner and we had the same argument again till she went off.

OK I understand they've invested a lot of money putting the road in and building the restaurant but trying to charge people for something they don't want is not doing themselves any favours for future business.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai business school 101.. Money number 1..

Customer service ?? Fair pay for a fair job.. LOL.

In case its not obvious I have just spent my day so far dealing with a computer repair shop (who I often use and thought I had a good relation with) who just lied, smiled, and palmed me off with the 100% knowledge that 1 hour later I would discover thier lie and return.. I personally cant understand how face can be gained by lieing when you are so obviously going to be caught in your lie only minutes later.

It's the Thai mentality of doing business. They think "I've got you here. I'm going to extract as much from you as I can in case you don't come back." They just don't seem to understand the concept of repeat business coming from good customer service.

There's another side to this: the guy who owns Paradise Beach is a local and that land has been in his family for generations. Despite many offers from developers he has refused to sell and wants to keep the land and the cove just as it has always been, natural and available for all people in Phuket, not just a select few whom the developers would no doubt build luxury homes for. So the guys heart and mind is in the right place I reckon.

The reality is that a decent meal at Paradise is going to cost you a lot less than many other places on Phuket that are inhabited by tourists, ditto a sunbed will cost you only half of what it will cost in say Patong. If you think that 200 baht per person for a meal and 100 baht for a sunbed in a setting such as Paradise Beach is a rip off, best you stay away from Phuket because it's too rich for your blood.

There's another side to this: the guy who owns Paradise Beach is a local and that land has been in his family for generations. Despite many offers from developers he has refused to sell and wants to keep the land and the cove just as it has always been, natural and available for all people in Phuket, not just a select few whom the developers would no doubt build luxury homes for. So the guys heart and mind is in the right place I reckon.

The reality is that a decent meal at Paradise is going to cost you a lot less than many other places on Phuket that are inhabited by tourists, ditto a sunbed will cost you only half of what it will cost in say Patong. If you think that 200 baht per person for a meal and 100 baht for a sunbed in a setting such as Paradise Beach is a rip off, best you stay away from Phuket because it's too rich for your blood.

<deleted> the money, its not about money, the guy did not want a sunbed, why pay for something you dont want.

Huggy, follow beach rd in patong (south) and just keep going. you will hit Paradise beach

I thought the King owned all the beaches in Thailand so they cannot be private.

Sure, the beach can't be private, BUT THE ACCESS ROAD CAN BE PRIVATE. So many beaches charge a fee to access the PRIVATE LAND to get onto the beach.

But I have to say that it seems stupid to buy meal and NOT be allowed to use the beach, so long as not using a beach chair. Typical short Thai sightedness.

I have actually driven over to Paradise Beach, parked, and walked the small beach, without being asked to pay anything. Guess I was just lucky.

There's another side to this: the guy who owns Paradise Beach is a local and that land has been in his family for generations.

<deleted> the money, its not about money, the guy did not want a sunbed, why pay for something you dont want.

Huggy, follow beach rd in patong (south) and just keep going. you will hit Paradise beach

Gotcha, is that the beach where you actually have to leave the road and take a dirt track to get to it?

There's another side to this: the guy who owns Paradise Beach is a local and that land has been in his family for generations.

Gotcha, is that the beach where you actually have to leave the road and take a dirt track to get to it?

As you come down the hill. the Merlin hotel is on your left, Paradise beach (as some call it) is on the right 100 metres further down.

geoffphuket

As you come down the hill. the Merlin hotel is on your left, Paradise beach (as some call it) is on the right 100 metres further down.

geoffphuket

Thanks Geoff. Yes I am familiar with that beach and hadn't heard it called such.

You pay for the sunbed because you want to swim and use the beach and the owner owns the access and the surrounding land - if the prices were at rip off levels I might have sympathy but they are far from it and the guys motives are reasonable.

You pay for the sunbed because you want to swim and use the beach and the owner owns the access and the surrounding land - if the prices were at rip off levels I might have sympathy but they are far from it and the guys motives are reasonable.

But if these guys bought some food you would think they could sit on the beach as well. Seems a bit harsh to me, and I would not go there now !!!

Is this Paradise Beach near Merlin Hotel, over the little bridge, past Coral Beach hotel and over the hill and down the road.

large.jpg

Photo taken a few years ago at the end of the road.

Yours truly

Kan Win :o

But if these guys bought some food you would think they could sit on the beach as well. Seems a bit harsh to me, and I would not go there now !!!

If I were to rent an apartment I would not expect to have free use of the apartment owners motorbike and car as well! BTW, Alex, did you ever find the wife's Honda or is it gone for good?

Is this Paradise Beach near Merlin Hotel, over the little bridge, past Coral Beach hotel and over the hill and down the road.

large.jpg

Yours truly

Kan Win :D

dam_n, now everyone's going to want to go there. Best I can say is the picture is a fake and Paradise doesn't look a bit like that, really. :o

If I were to rent an apartment I would not expect to have free use of the apartment owners motorbike and car as well! BTW, Alex, did you ever find the wife's Honda or is it gone for good?

That's not a very fair analagy. If you buy a meal at a restaurant you are usually allowed to take in the view. And anyway it's good business sense. Not that most Thais know a lick about that.

Bike gone for good, but I'm still looking for it.

large.jpg

dam_n, now everyone's going to want to go there. Best I can say is the picture is a fake and Paradise doesn't look a bit like that, really. :o

Are you telling me that me photo is a fake or this beach is, :D if so witch beach is it then :("chiang mai" as I have it on me web-page as 1 Patong Beach as you Kan see Patong from there. Wood like to correct the name of this lonely beach :D

I post this photo, In memory of "Joerg Meierhans" (Rest in Peace) who had a little restaurant there many a year ago. :D

Yours truly

large.jpg

Yours truly

Kan Win :o

I would say (??) that this photo is Emerald Beach, just north of Paradise beach i.e. before going over the steep hill.

large.jpg

Are you telling me that me photo is a fake or this beach is, :D if so witch beach is it then :("chiang mai" as I have it on me web-page as 1 Patong Beach as you Kan see Patong from there. Wood like to correct the name of this lonely beach :D

I post this photo, In memory of "Joerg Meierhans" (Rest in Peace) who had a little restaurant there many a year ago. :D

Yours truly

It's a lovely setting but it's surely not Paradise Beach - not to worry, it's a lovely beach and view so I think probably best you leave things as they are.

I would say (??) that this photo is Emerald Beach, just north of Paradise beach i.e. before going over the steep hill.

Thank you "LivinginKata", and "chiang mai". :o shall re-name me photo to " Emerald Beach".

Yours truly

geoffphuket

WRONG...that is TriTrang beach in front of the Merlin and in the pic above.

Paradise Beach you go past TriTrang, up the hill and then about another 1.5kms over the hill and down the other side. There is a tarmac/concrete road all the way to it now completed earlier this year.

WRONG...that is TriTrang beach in front of the Merlin and in the pic above.

Paradise Beach you go past TriTrang, up the hill and then about another 1.5kms over the hill and down the other side. There is a tarmac/concrete road all the way to it now completed earlier this year.

No, that photo is not TriTrang Beach... now way, as looking over the TriTrang sand you look away from Patong. Emerald Beach is on the other side of the road from the Merlin, looking over to Patong.

THIS is Paradise Beach>>>

S6300320-1.jpg

The day I took this photo all I did was park the bike near the restaurant and walk onto the beach...took a few photos then walked round the east end to the 2 little completely deserted beaches round the corner. Back to the bike a couple of hours later and rode off.

OK I understand the guy owns the land the road comes over and where the restaurant is but he can't own the beach itself which is what he tries to tell people. By the way the food is very mediocre.

It's like the exclusive Amanpuri Resort between Surin Beach and Bang Tao claiming they have a private beach which is Pansea when in fact they share the beachfront with The Chedi Resort and The Chedi allows access to the beach over their property.

No, that photo is not TriTrang Beach... now way, as looking over the TriTrang sand you look away from Patong. Emerald Beach is on the other side of the road from the Merlin, looking over to Patong.

You're giving me a headache now.

...............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,............................................. .....

...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................

......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................

..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\... ..................................

................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................

................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................

.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................

...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................

.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................

.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................

.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.......................... ...

...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,........... .........

...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............

.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,

.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........

..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........

......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........

........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

Emerald Beach in front of the Merlin in Thai is "Hat Tra Tri"...also known as Tri Trang and has the Tri Trang Resort at the east end of it.

http://www.tritrangbeachresort.com/

But he doesn't own the beach he only owns the access.So if you turn up at the beach by boat what can he do about that.Still try to charge you no doubt.

The little beach by Kata view point is the same you drive down a steep road and when you get there the guy wants to charge you.I wish he had put a sign at the top as it's xxxxxx of a drive back up the hill

S6300320-1.jpg

The day I took this photo all I did was park the bike near the restaurant and walk onto the beach...took a few photos then walked round the east end to the 2 little completely deserted beaches round the corner. Back to the bike a couple of hours later and rode off.

OK I understand the guy owns the land the road comes over and where the restaurant is but he can't own the beach itself which is what he tries to tell people. By the way the food is very mediocre.

It's like the exclusive Amanpuri Resort between Surin Beach and Bang Tao claiming they have a private beach which is Pansea when in fact they share the beachfront with The Chedi Resort and The Chedi allows access to the beach over their property.

I agree that is Paradise Beach.

S6300320-1.jpg

You're giving me a headache now.

...............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,............................................. .....

...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................

......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................

..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\... ..................................

................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................

................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................

.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................

...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................

.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................

.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................

.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.......................... ...

...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,........... .........

...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............

.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,

.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........

..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........

......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........

........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

Emerald Beach in front of the Merlin in Thai is "Hat Tra Tri"...also known as Tri Trang and has the Tri Trang Resort at the east end of it.

http://www.tritrangbeachresort.com/

So, Kwai did you knot post the beach photo in the first place OP, since you gave me and a few others your headache with your post :D

:o