Hotmail And Msn Problem

Tod

I can't sign in on msn or access hotmail anymore

I tried everything ( desactivate the firewall, troubleshoot, etc...)

I tried to check in the other internet shops around and everything works fine from there, so it must be a problem with my computer.

All the other websites and skype are working... :o

It makes no sense to me.

If anybody can help me or suggest something, that would be greatly appreciated.

Another member has alerted me to the fact that the "Webmail for Hotmail" extension for the Thunderbird email client has recently been "broken" by an update by Microsoft to their Hotmail web sites.

Maybe this is related to your problem.

I need more info about how you access your email before I can help.

Another member has alerted me to the fact that the "Webmail for Hotmail" extension for the Thunderbird email client has recently been "broken" by an update by Microsoft to their Hotmail web sites.

I always use firefox. I can't open the microsoft website as well and also the website of my bank.

What I don't understand is that it works from the internet shop just near my place. They are using the same ISP.

IE7 and Firefox 3 works on my Hotmail account at the moment.

Jetset is right, elaborate more about your problem so we can help.

BTW, try clearing your browser cookies, temp files and browsing history, see if it will work.

I always use firefox. I can't open the microsoft website as well and also the website of my bank.

What I don't understand is that it works from the internet shop just near my place. They are using the same ISP.

This is a long shot. I had an internet banking web site problem months ago. All was OK at the internet shop, but not on my PC. It turned out to be due to a TCP setting called the "MTU value". Have a look at this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Increase-Rou...t&p=1769752

I doubt this is your problem as you can't even get into Microsoft. I now use this link to log in: http://login.live.com/login.srf

Edit: Just noticed daxbr has given the same link for M$ Hotmail/Windows Live.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Thanks for the replies,

Apparently now, when I turn my modem on hotmail, msn and microsoft don't work. If I turn it off and turn it back on, and repair connexion in control panel it works for a few hours and then I have to do it again.

It's fine fine for me, but I really don't understand why... :o

Thanks for the replies,

Apparently now, when I turn my modem on hotmail, msn and microsoft don't work. If I turn it off and turn it back on, and repair connexion in control panel it works for a few hours and then I have to do it again.

It's fine fine for me, but I really don't understand why... :o

Time to try a different modem - borrow one? - or call the ISP if the problem persists. I'd be very interested to know if you find out what the problem is.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to access hotmail for three days now. I have tried IE and Firefox. Here are the messages I am getting:

Firefox says

Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

-----------------------------------------

I E says

The webpage cannot be found HTTP 400

Most likely causes:

There might be a typing error in the address.

If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

------------------------------------------

http://login.live.com/login.srf?id=2 says

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Reference #7.142d613a.1227773374.0

-------------------------------------------

http://login.live.com/login.srf says

Bad Request (Invalid Verb)

CAN ANYONE HELP..PLEASE?

Remove all your updates. I had this problem a few days ago. It's in some update from Microsoft the problem.

Well, maybe remove those from the last week!

Having said that, I'm running XP SP3 with all updates applied and both of the links in ianh68's post worked for me on Firefox 2.

Thanks guys. I tried access to hotmail at the local internet cafe last night, no problem. I uninstalled from my PC a recent update regarding Outlook but balked at uninstalling security updates. So far no success. BTW I think I am on Firefox 3.

Another thought. The updates I removed were dated 14 Nov but I am sure there were some more recent ones, just before the problem, but not in the list. Any ideas?

This is what I would do, in order:

1. Maybe one of your recent updates didn't get applied properly, so try going to Windows Update (run Internet Explorer, Tools, Windows Update) and get it to check what needs updating, and let it do it.

2. If that doesn't fix it, do you have System Restore enabled? If so, try restoring back a few weeks (to a date when you think Hotmail was working), but - first - make a note of what programs you've installed recently so you can re-install them again.

[if you can't remember what programs you've recently installed, try sorting your "Program Files" folder by date, and note all the folders created recently.]

If Hotmail starts working again, got to Windows Update and apply the updates one at a time, and after each is installed, try Hotmail again.

Then install any programs that need installing, again one at a time, and check Hotmail each time.

3. If you haven't got System Restore running, try un-installing the recent programs you've installed.

4. If nothing works, I would revert to a previous system image, but I don't think you do that! :o (I do it every week.)