Hi to all dedicated readers of my posts,

I'm planning on going to Burma, or Myanmar, for my next Non O visa trip. Has anyone ever been there, and if so, is it as easy and straightforward as Vientiane?

I'm imagining the Thai Embassy would be in Rangoon, or Yangon, as hasn't their capital recently moved?

Also could I get a Burmese visa on arrival at the airport?

Answers would be appreciated, and if I go I promise to share my tales when I get back.

Hi to all dedicated readers of my posts,

I'm planning on going to Burma, or Myanmar, for my next Non O visa trip. Has anyone ever been there, and if so, is it as easy and straightforward as Vientiane?

I'm imagining the Thai Embassy would be in Rangoon, or Yangon, as hasn't their capital recently moved?

Also could I get a Burmese visa on arrival at the airport?

Answers would be appreciated, and if I go I promise to share my tales when I get back.

Going by previous threads on here the most you could probably hope for would be a single entry.

When you visit the Burma Embassy in Bangkok, make sure when you fill in your application info, that you don't mention "Media" in anything to do with you're occupation. They are "frightened" about anything to do with the Media and it means almost surely no Visa!

In case you don't have it here is contact info for embassy in Yangon.

Royal Thai Embassy, Yangon

No.94, Pyay Road, Dagon Township Yangon Union of Myanmar

Tel.(951) 226-721, 226-728, 226-824

Fax.(951) 221-713

E-mail : [email protected]

Visa and Consular Section : Application for Visa/Legalization 09.00-11.30 hrs. Collection of Visa / Legalization 14.00-17.00 hrs.

My experience is around 4 or 5 years old now, but is likely to still be relevant.

You cannot enter Burma by land. A lot of the country is off limits to foreigners which is why most stick to the central area from Mandalay to Yangon. I found Bagan to be the highlight of my trip...can highly recommend the boat from Mandalay to Bagan. btw...white folks and locals are forbidden from travelling in the same boat, so if you make friends with the locals, you'll have trouble going anywhere with them.

You will need a Visa for Burma...this only takes a day or so and can be done with an agent which in my case saved me travelling to Bangkok from Chiang Mai. More than one Visa within a couple of years might be difficult (seen as suspicious), so make the most of your trip this time around.

I entered Burma at Mandalay. Immigration asked a lot of questions, but ultimately it was no great hassle getting through. the airport in Mandalay is however a long was from town and you're at risk of the taxi drivers holding you to ransom. Also, I suspect it's easier if you get in in the morning rather than late...takes the time pressure off.

I approached the Thai Embassy in Yangon for a tourist visa and in the end gave up...just wasn't worth the hassle. Fortunately at that time it just meant an extra border run to Mai Sai. If you're after a non-imm visa, I suspect it's more difficult and also more critical that you get a result. Be prepared for the fact that you might have to head somewhere else for your visa if you don't get a result in Yangon. Make Yangon your plan 'A' by all means, but have a plan 'B'.

The airport in Yangon is serviced by bus...it leaves from one or two blocks south of Sulu Paya if memory serves. Make sure they understand you want the Airport though. They stop at the entrance, but don't go inside. It's a few hundred metres walk into the airport.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Reckon from these replies I'll get my white cheeks to Vientiane. Easy as pie there, apart from the tedious queueing, although call me paranoid if you willl, but can't see Vientiane being easy forever, sooner or later some new crappy law will get enforced to make it even harder for us farangs to stay here.

Hey ho, time for a bottle of sang som I think...

My experience is around 4 or 5 years old now, but is likely to still be relevant.

You cannot enter Burma by land. A lot of the country is off limits to foreigners which is why most stick to the central area from Mandalay to Yangon. I found Bagan to be the highlight of my trip...can highly recommend the boat from Mandalay to Bagan. btw...white folks and locals are forbidden from travelling in the same boat, so if you make friends with the locals, you'll have trouble going anywhere with them.

You will need a Visa for Burma...this only takes a day or so and can be done with an agent which in my case saved me travelling to Bangkok from Chiang Mai. More than one Visa within a couple of years might be difficult (seen as suspicious), so make the most of your trip this time around.

I entered Burma at Mandalay. Immigration asked a lot of questions, but ultimately it was no great hassle getting through. the airport in Mandalay is however a long was from town and you're at risk of the taxi drivers holding you to ransom. Also, I suspect it's easier if you get in in the morning rather than late...takes the time pressure off.

I approached the Thai Embassy in Yangon for a tourist visa and in the end gave up...just wasn't worth the hassle. Fortunately at that time it just meant an extra border run to Mai Sai. If you're after a non-imm visa, I suspect it's more difficult and also more critical that you get a result. Be prepared for the fact that you might have to head somewhere else for your visa if you don't get a result in Yangon. Make Yangon your plan 'A' by all means, but have a plan 'B'.

The airport in Yangon is serviced by bus...it leaves from one or two blocks south of Sulu Paya if memory serves. Make sure they understand you want the Airport though. They stop at the entrance, but don't go inside. It's a few hundred metres walk into the airport.

Hope this helps...