Planning To Live In Thailand

Sa Wa Di Krub,

I have a few question regarding the procedure to live in Thailand. :o

I am a 23 years old Singaporean guy, currently working as a technician (air landing system) in the Singapore Changi Airport and studying a part-time Bachelor degree in Electronic and Electrical Engingeering in a Singapore university (Nangyang Technological University).

Planning to marry and live with my thai girl-friend, whom have a house in Bangkok under her name, in another 4 or 5 years after i finish my studies. I met my girl-friend in Singapore when she was working there.

Is my degree recognized in most of the thai companies?

How much this the pay range like if i work as an Engineer?

How many months or years of allowance should i go to apply for the thai PR?

What should i bring to the immigration and what are the requirements to get the thai PR?

Must i have savings in any bank in Thailand?

Can i marry my girl-friend before i apply for the PR or after?

Must i drop my Singapore citizenship after i have my Thai citizenship or i can have a dual citizenship?

Can my parents from Singapore come to Thailand and also live with me?

I hope you all can help answer my queries.

Khorb Khun Krub (Thank You).

Alvin

Your field is very much in demand I believe but do not know the salary range - it will be above average - but Thai language would be highly desirable for the best choice.

You can marry at any time. But PR will require at least three years of living in Thailand with one year extensions of stay (working or married and paying tax).

If you stay on the basis of supporting your wife you will need money in the bank here and you should have in any case.

Thailand has no problem with dual citizenship but do not know about Singapore - at any rate that is in the distant future and after PR.

Do not believe there is any provision for your parents but if over 50 they could apply for retirement long stay visa with 800k baht in bank account here.

Sa Wa Di Krub dr_Pat_Pong. :o

Ok. I need to know that is there any minimum range of cash i need to have in the bank in order to convert to PR.

What if i go there and cannot find a job, can i still get a certain visa to prolong my stay in Thailand?

Can i marry my girlfriend and get a PR or i must live at Thailand for 3 years?

Sa Wa Di Krub dr_Pat_Pong.  :o

Ok. I need to know that is there any minimum range of cash i need to have in the bank in order to convert to PR.

What if i go there and cannot find a job, can i still get a certain visa to prolong my stay in Thailand?

Can i marry my girlfriend and get a PR or i must live at Thailand for 3 years?

Marrying a Thai does not of itself qualify you for PR. You will need 400,000 baht in a bank in Thailand to qualify for one year extensions. Your parents can only live in Thailand based on their own retirement application.

Ok. :o

Tks dr_Pat_Pong for the information.

But I c this information on the thaivias.com:

Documents required when applying for a residence permit to support a family (wife and children) who are Thai citizens

Application form (TM.9) Personal information sheet. Health certificate from a hospital (issued within the previous 3 months). Certification that the applicant has no criminal record in his or her overseas domicile. This must be certified officially, e.g. by the applicant's Embassy in Bangkok. Official marriage and birth certificates (see certification requirement in No. 4 above) Copy of identity card and house registration of wife and/or children. Letter certifying place of employment. Copy of work permit. Copy of annual personal income tax forms with receipts for the previous 3 years. Copy of each months personal income tax forms (por ngor dor 1) with receipts from January of year of application until the month before applying (only for applicant earning salary). Company registration certificate or juristic person certificate. Copy of value added tax (VAT) registration of the company. List of company shareholders (only for applicant, who is a shareholder). Company balance sheet and income tax with receipt (por ngor dor 50) for the previous 1 year (with the exeption of a state agency or state enterprise). Map of residence and place of work. Copy of passport (must show a total of 3 year's travel history to Thailand.

REMARKS:

Copies of documents must be certified by applicant. Documents in foreign languages must be translated into Thai language (specifying name and residence of translator). Submission of false documents or the provision of false statements are criminal offenses. The applicant must apply in person as the Immigration Bureau will require a set of fingerprints for the purpose of checking for criminal record.

Qualifications of an applicant:

1. An applicant must have received permission for yearly stays in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa for at least of three years prior to the submission of an application for permanent residency. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not appy. You must have 3 un-broken yearly extensions in order to qualify.

2. An applicant must be holding a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting an application.

Documents required

The list of required documents depends on the category under which the application is made.

Fees:

Application for a residence permit

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book)

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) for a foreigner married to a Thai, the spouse of a resident, and any of their children who have not reached the status of a Thai juristic person (i.e., unmarried children aged below 20 years)

The Thai Immigration Bureau has recently (october 2003) announced quotas for all expatriates applying for residence permits at 100 persons per nationality. All foreigners may qualify to apply for a residence permit if he/she

1. Holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a Non-Immigrant visa and the individual has been permitted to stay in Thailand for at least 3 consecutive years on a 1-year visa extension basis up to the application submission date.

2. Has personal qualifications that meet one or more of the following categories:

1) Investment category (minumum 3 - 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)

2) Working/ Business category

3) Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: He/she must have relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already possesses a residence permit as the

followings:

- A legal husband or wife

- A legal father or mother

- A child who is under 20 years of age up to the submission date of application and must be single

4) Expert / academics category

5) Other categories

Am i wrong to say that i cannot apply for the PR using the reason of just marrying my girl-friend?

Edited by duck

Ok. :o

Tks dr_Pat_Pong for the information.

But I c this information on the thaivias.com:

Documents required when applying for a residence permit to support a family (wife and children) who are Thai citizens

Application form (TM.9) Personal information sheet. Health certificate from a hospital (issued within the previous 3 months). Certification that the applicant has no criminal record in his or her overseas domicile. This must be certified officially, e.g. by the applicant's Embassy in Bangkok. Official marriage and birth certificates (see certification requirement in No. 4 above) Copy of identity card and house registration of wife and/or children. Letter certifying place of employment. Copy of work permit. Copy of annual personal income tax forms with receipts for the previous 3 years. Copy of each months personal income tax forms (por ngor dor 1) with receipts from January of year of application until the month before applying (only for applicant earning salary). Company registration certificate or juristic person certificate. Copy of value added tax (VAT) registration of the company. List of company shareholders (only for applicant, who is a shareholder). Company balance sheet and income tax with receipt (por ngor dor 50) for the previous 1 year (with the exeption of a state agency or state enterprise). Map of residence and place of work. Copy of passport (must show a total of 3 year's travel history to Thailand.

REMARKS:

Copies of documents must be certified by applicant. Documents in foreign languages must be translated into Thai language (specifying name and residence of translator). Submission of false documents or the provision of false statements are criminal offenses. The applicant must apply in person as the Immigration Bureau will require a set of fingerprints for the purpose of checking for criminal record.

Qualifications of an applicant:

1. An applicant must have received permission for yearly stays in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa for at least of three years prior to the submission of an application for permanent residency. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not appy. You must have 3 un-broken yearly extensions in order to qualify.

2. An applicant must be holding a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting an application.

Documents required

The list of required documents depends on the category under which the application is made.

Fees:

Application for a residence permit 

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) 

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) for a foreigner married to a Thai, the spouse of a resident, and any of their children who have not reached the status of a Thai juristic person (i.e., unmarried children aged below 20 years) 

The Thai Immigration Bureau has recently (october 2003) announced quotas for all expatriates applying for residence permits at 100 persons per nationality. All foreigners may qualify to apply for a residence permit if he/she

1. Holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a Non-Immigrant visa and the individual has been permitted to stay in Thailand for at least 3 consecutive years on a 1-year visa extension basis up to the application submission date.

2. Has personal qualifications that meet one or more of the following categories:

1) Investment category (minumum 3 - 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)

2) Working/ Business category

3) Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: He/she must have relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already possesses a residence permit as the

followings:

- A legal husband or wife

- A legal father or mother

- A child who is under 20 years of age up to the submission date of application and must be single

4) Expert / academics category

5) Other categories

Am i wrong to say that i cannot apply for the PR using the reason of just marrying my girl-friend?

Sorry about it ... but you are wrong

• 6 months later...

Hi Duck,

Well, I have the same situation with you. Just that I had done my marriage few months back. However, I pretty sure you can't have dual citizenship but your kids can :o . Anyway, hope to finished my thesis in a couple of months and that go to Thailand and start hunting for jobs.

Cheers

Hi Duck,

However, I pretty sure you can't have dual citizenship but your kids can :o .

Cheers

If you stay in Thailand long enough, and once you have aquired PR, then you should theortically be able to get Thai nationality. However it is not granted very readily and very few foreigners ever become 'naturalised' as Thai unless they have lived here for many many years.

As for not being able to have dual citizenship, having Thai dual citizenship is perfectly acceptable from the Thai perspective, whether they are a child or adult.

Unfortunately for you, Singapore does not allow dual nationality, so upon aquiring a Thai passport you will need to reliquish your singaporena nationality. However if for example you have Australian/NZ/UK/US nationality, you would be able to keep that nationaity upon aquisition of Thai nationality.

If you ever had children, they would be entitled to Thai/Singaporean nationality but Singapore would make them choose a nationaily upon turning 18.

If you ever had children, they would be entitled to Thai/Singaporean nationality but Singapore would make them choose a nationaily upon turning 18.

Hi samran,

You're right about S'pore will make them choose a nationality upon 18. If the kid gender is male, he has to choose cause they are required to do full time national service (2 and half year) by law. However, if is female, I think it might be a grey area as there is no law YET for national service. So my best guess is she can have dual nationality.

Cheers :o

Hi Duck,

Why the urgency for PR? Why not get over here and see how you like living and possibly working here first. Once you're married you can keep applying for extensions every 12 months, providing you have the 400k in the bank or an income to match it.