Thaksin And Potjaman Divorce In Hong Kong

george

THAKSINLAND... here we come.... :o

According to Sakda, many Puea Thai Party MPs expected Mrs Yinglak Shinawatra [Thaksin's sister] to lead their Party and she would become the first Thai female Prime Minister. :D:D He believed the Shinawatra family is ready to administer the country, especially Thaksin’s brother Payap. :D:D

:( Do people want politicians or models? :D

You made my day. You always have excellent observations / statements.

or brother Payap Shinawatra...

payapshinawatra.jpg

or son Panthongtae Shinawatra...

1185264.jpg

Hard to tell which of these two scions looks more addled!

I'll go with Yingluck, she looks like she has at least preserved a brain in her head.

If we can just get the agin witch queens away from her she might not be tooooooo bad.

Edited by animatic

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin and Pojaman fled to London on August 11 after receiving court permission to travel to Beijing to attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.

Ok, it's been said before, but it still burns my bisquit that the court gave them both permission to split town - with all the legal storms howling around them. Perhaps it's the same court that acquitted PM Thaksin (by a split decision) - when it was very clear at the beginning of his first term that he was illegally hiding assets (chauffeur, maid, etc.).

If either of those actions had been different, then Thaksin would have been bumped from office before he became emboldened to enact so much damage to Thailand or, with the 'permission to exit the country' issue, he and Pojaman would at least be currently under house arrest. Granted, all branches of government have made mistakes in the ad nauseum saga of Thaksin, but the judiciary deserves special notice for dropping the ball - big time.

if he was just trying to separate the assets - why make such a fuss and announce it to the whole world?

Looks like Missis Pokemon and her clan decided to dump him - he's a pain the ass for everyone in the family

I mean - she doesn't want to live in Bahamas or Bermudas, she wants to be part of the society, not some "red shirt revolutionary"

On one hand she might be fed up with all this running and fighting and naming names and what not.

On the other hand they have significant assets to save, all in her name. I suppose the courta can't seize her assets if she is not guilty in upcoming cases.

I would think that the dissolution was for financial purposes, however, if the Thai government has a fraudulent conveyance remedy against one transfering funds to avoid seizure, the dissolution may not achieve its purpose. However I am certain they thought this through. There appears to be a financially bases for every move by the Thaksins. He has elevated the concept of blame to an unimaginable level.

On one hand she might be fed up with all this running and fighting and naming names and what not.

On the other hand they have significant assets to save, all in her name. I suppose the courta can't seize her assets if she is not guilty in upcoming cases.

I would think that the dissolution was for financial purposes, however, if the Thai government has a fraudulent conveyance remedy against one transfering funds to avoid seizure, the dissolution may not achieve its purpose. However I am certain they thought this through. There appears to be a financially bases for every move by the Thaksins. He has elevated the concept of blame to an unimaginable level.

Well maybe yes and maybe no.

If the money in question was 'the fruit of illegal enterprises' WHILE they were together,

then it is NOT hers to begin with. And as such is not protected, except by another layer of legal wrangling.

Since they hadn't thought through too well the maneuvers that SHE was convicted of,

and ignored the legal niceties of what HE was convicted of, there is room ro believe

they are not properly accepting legal advice at this time either.

It could just come down to they are pissed off at each other for screwing up so bad TOGETHER.

He thinks she can take the lion's share, because she will never get it anyway.

And she thinking she will get a man with face left attached, if she has enough bankroll.

If it was for financial reasons only, he would have done it quietly, without all the MPs present there. Why announce it in public? To gain some spotlight?

Well, today is not the best day - everybody who is anybody in this country was at Sanam Luang.

Where do you think Mrs Pokemon wants to be?

The National Anti-Corruption Commission revealed last year that Thaksin officially declared assets worth 614.39 million baht when he took office, while Khunying Potjaman had 8.48 billion baht.

Thaksin blamed a group of "privileged elites" including retired army generals, said the source.

I thought they maybe worth 20 times that amount now

Thaksin blamed a group of "privileged elites" including retired army generals, said the source.

yeah right on, those two scheming, devious men on his left here, will make sure he never returns

post-7932-1226741951_thumb.jpg

Well, I guess it's just as well that Thailand has such "scheming, devious" men. The best punishment for Mr Thaksin is to be banished for life.

However that's unlikely to happen, but it's gratifying to learn that he indeed does have enemies in high places.

well that maybe your opinion which counts for less than zero in Thai society, certainly million of voters who have elected him into power have a totally different take on things. But then following your logic you must admit, if you're intellectually honest (yeah I know those two qualities are totally unknown concept to PAD criminals and their clueless aficionados, but just for argument sake) that those responsible for the military coup must too be punished to prison or if they escape the country, people in high places must make sure they never come back. One cannot criticise a politician for being corrupt and all the while condoning others who staged a military coup and illegally changed the constitution, no unless you want to retain credibility and intellectual honesty.

Thaksin and Pojaman fled to London on August 11 after receiving court permission to travel to Beijing to attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.

Ok, it's been said before, but it still burns my bisquit that the court gave them both permission to split town - with all the legal storms howling around them. Perhaps it's the same court that acquitted PM Thaksin (by a split decision) - when it was very clear at the beginning of his first term that he was illegally hiding assets (chauffeur, maid, etc.).

If either of those actions had been different, then Thaksin would have been bumped from office before he became emboldened to enact so much damage to Thailand or, with the 'permission to exit the country' issue, he and Pojaman would at least be currently under house arrest. Granted, all branches of government have made mistakes in the ad nauseum saga of Thaksin, but the judiciary deserves special notice for dropping the ball - big time.

my first reaction to the news was /still is..... certainly a deal had been brokered. there are those that oppose him who would find it in their better interest to have Thaksin out of the country, rather than here. (more possibilities for him to stir up emotions in people while hes in the country...in particular if jailed).

who those groups/group might be....is for each of you to interpret and analyse :o

It's more common than one would think for Thai businessmen to be "officially" divorced from their wives.

I personally know five directors, all on the board of the same listed company who got divorced "on paper" before their IPO. :o

It is probably one way to safeguard family assets held in the wife's name.

And that is why almost all Directors and Officers Liability insurance policies add an extension of coverage for spouses and same sex partners. If you are a Director or an Officer of a company (as per your corporate bylaws) check the policy.

If it was for financial reasons only, he would have done it quietly, without all the MPs present there. Why announce it in public? To gain some spotlight?

No chance of doing it quietly , someone in the registration office will find out and then it would one of those rumors that has everyones attention for a day or two until confirmed.

By making a big announcement to the MPs it connects him to them , and by doing it on this weekend takes the news away from the front pages.

I know many people will probably not agree with me, but I don’t think Thaksin has been such an evil man. I don’t believe that Thaksin was any more corrupt than many other Thai ‘officials’, or indeed many other government officials of other countries.

I think Thaksin was probably the most advanced, proactive and forward thinking PM Thailand ever had. I argue that removing him from his post was a politically motivated act.

I’m not saying I’m a fan of the PPP and its current leadership. I’m just saying that I think Thaksin was the best leader at that time.

Thailand’s ‘Elite’ has made a profound mistake by ousting Thaksin in the way it did in the 2006 coup: It has created a very angry man with many followers. Now this ’angry man’ has become a powerful, invisible enemy with many resources to his disposal.

Now Thaksin can address thousands of followers by phone and stir up even more turmoil within the country.

I think now the best policy for Thai politics may be just to not talk about Thaksin any more. After some time people may just forget him. But I’m afraid that this will probably not happen that way…

It's more common than one would think for Thai businessmen to be "officially" divorced from their wives.

I personally know five directors, all on the board of the same listed company who got divorced "on paper" before their IPO. :o

It is probably one way to safeguard family assets held in the wife's name.

And that is why almost all Directors and Officers Liability insurance policies add an extension of coverage for spouses and same sex partners. If you are a Director or an Officer of a company (as per your corporate bylaws) check the policy.

tootcharit one of the first thai words my wife taught me most government agencies are corrupt the person that signed the divorce papers probably got a nice little money hand shake I think

Fugitive Thaksin heads for Dubai after divorce from 'very close' wife

Thailand's ousted Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, and his wife of 32 years have divorced as the fugitive former leader's woes deepen. Thaksin, 59, and Pojaman, 51, split in Hong Kong on Friday, signing the papers at the Thai Consulate.

Thaksin's Spokesman, Phongthep Thepkanjana, confirmed the break-up yesterday after it was reported that Thaksin told a group of stunned MPs from the ruling People Power Party during a dinner in Hong Kong.

The couple, who fled to London in August to escape corruption charges, had their British visas withdrawn a week ago as they visited China, leaving them searching for a new home.

The Home Office signalled the decision to revoke their visas in an email message to airlines, though no reason was given. Foreign Secretary David Miliband confirmed Thaksin was no longer welcome because of his conviction and two-year jail term over a land deal made by his wife.

The cause of their divorce was not immediately clear, but observers believe the two remain close and the split may have been motivated by an attempt to protect their assets. A source close to the couple described the move as a 'divorce on paper' for practical reasons. 'Thaksin and his wife remain very close and they are even closer since their problems began in Thailand,' he said.

Last year the National Anti-Corruption Commission revealed that Thaksin declared assets of £11.2m while in office, while Pojaman had £154.2m.

After the coup of 2006 that toppled Thaksin, the couple went into exile, living mainly in London. He bought Manchester City football club, but had to sell the team when his financial troubles grew.

A member of the People Power Party said Thaksin was heading for Dubai, which does not have an extradition treaty with Thailand.

- Guardian (UK) / 2008-11-16

Fugitive Thaksin heads for Dubai after divorce from 'very close' wife

Thailand's ousted Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, and his wife of 32 years have divorced as the fugitive former leader's woes deepen. Thaksin, 59, and Pojaman, 51, split in Hong Kong on Friday, signing the papers at the Thai Consulate.

Thaksin's Spokesman, Phongthep Thepkanjana, confirmed the break-up yesterday after it was reported that Thaksin told a group of stunned MPs from the ruling People Power Party during a dinner in Hong Kong.

The couple, who fled to London in August to escape corruption charges, had their British visas withdrawn a week ago as they visited China, leaving them searching for a new home.

If I wanted to read old news from a newspaper, I would. I fail to see the reason behind this Post. The meaning of your moniker of SirijaiJohn can be Sorry John and I agree wholeheartedly. You are about the sorriest John I have ever encountered. John also has another meaning in some circles. Hmmmm????/

The Home Office signalled the decision to revoke their visas in an email message to airlines, though no reason was given. Foreign Secretary David Miliband confirmed Thaksin was no longer welcome because of his conviction and two-year jail term over a land deal made by his wife.

The cause of their divorce was not immediately clear, but observers believe the two remain close and the split may have been motivated by an attempt to protect their assets. A source close to the couple described the move as a 'divorce on paper' for practical reasons. 'Thaksin and his wife remain very close and they are even closer since their problems began in Thailand,' he said.

Last year the National Anti-Corruption Commission revealed that Thaksin declared assets of £11.2m while in office, while Pojaman had £154.2m.

After the coup of 2006 that toppled Thaksin, the couple went into exile, living mainly in London. He bought Manchester City football club, but had to sell the team when his financial troubles grew.

A member of the People Power Party said Thaksin was heading for Dubai, which does not have an extradition treaty with Thailand.

- Guardian (UK) / 2008-11-16

Despite being his "Personal Spokesman", banned-from-politics TRT executive Ponthep seems shockingly out of touch with his employer over the past several weeks.... :o

but anyway, as for motivation for the divorce.......follow the money

Thaksin divorces for 'economic' reasons

Pongthep Thepkanchana, the Personal Spokesman for former PM Thaksin, yesterday confirmed that Thaksin had divorced his wife Potjaman in Hong Kong. Pongthep said he had verified the report with reliable sources, who said Thaksin and his wife had signed the divorce papers. "I didn't ask him [Thaksin] directly as it is a personal matter. But I asked [about the divorce] from a credible source who confirmed the divorce had happened. "I didn't ask about the reasons behind the divorce, though," he said. He said the end of their 32-year marriage would have no impact on the cases against them and it would not change their status in the lawsuits they were facing. Their assets would be shared based on their agreements, he added. The divorce, which was finalised on Friday at the Thai consulate in Hong Kong, came less than a month after the Supreme Court sentenced Thaksin to two years in jail for conflict of interest in the Ratchadaphisek land case. A source close to Thaksin said the divorce would help his wife's attempts to fight the tax evasion case, in which she was sentenced to three years in jail by the Criminal Court. The end of their marriage would hamper her travel plans and her ability to sign legal documents. Their children, who have returned to Thailand from London, have not shown any signs of sadness since their parents divorced. The divorce has been labelled technical and politically motivated. Former spokesman for the dissolved Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC) Sak Korsaengruang said the divorce would be good for her. "The divorce helps boost the image of Potjaman. She repeatedly said she didn't want her husband to get involved in politics. If she returns to fight the legal case, the political pressure which she earlier faced might be reduced," he said. The divorce would have no impact on the corruption cases involving Thaksin and a civil lawsuit seeking the confiscation of 76 Billion Baht of their assets. The case, which is pending in the Civil Court, is to claim their assets, most of which were

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/161108_News/16Nov2008_news06.php

Does it mean that a rich Thai lady is now available for marriage ??? Where can one apply ?

Have you taken a good look at her?

:o who cares ?? She is loaded , very very loaded, and that could make the "package" more attractive ! And just to make it clear, I am not in queue :D ....but some might consider :D

"If Thaksin was a member of this forum , most of you lot would be banned for flaming by now"

...and MC2 wouldn't that be a misguided assault on free-speech

It amazes me how important money is to Thai's, but you can guarantee this divorce is all about holding on to as much as possible. Doesn't Buddhism preach not to want material things in life, and be happy and content with the natural beauty around you, isn't greed to the route of all evil? So why are these so called Buddhists so hel_l-bent on obtaining as much material wealth as possible??

There is a mistake in the 1st report, Taksin neither had 600mil TB nor 600bil TB, I think the reporter mis-counted the zeros (there's enough of them - so easy mistake) Taksin's wealth upon taking office (as I read in the past) was 60bil baht, it still seems to go un-noticed (and perfectly acceptable to some) that his wealth grew to 260bil during his 5 yrs in office, aren't those 2 figures alone enough to make 99% of the population detest everything he stands for. The other 1% I left for the greedy cling-ons that also got wealthy off his dirty deallings.

If you're a Taksin supporter, why don't you wake up and smell the coffee brewing 60billion - 260billion (maybe it'll work if you say it slowly)

So I don't hear from anybody calling for the firing of the The Hong Kong consulate and their staff.

Wonder why.

He probably appointed them.

His bro in law is the one who would fire them.

Then there would be the ticklish issue of

moving him to the airport and off to here.

No doubt his guards would want a say in it...

Yes they are not exactly guilt free in this one.

But what can we do?

The staff would do what the Consul says.

I am sure he picked a friendly consulate of course.

To the above, post, obviously they are not good budhists,

by the selfless, non-seeking of material gain criteria....

Edited by animatic

"If Thaksin was a member of this forum , most of you lot would be banned for flaming by now"

I think you'll find that MC2 is simply following the example that was set by his hero, in trying to gag those who speak against him.

I think you'll find that MC2 is simply following the example that was set by his hero, in trying to gag those who speak against him.

Nonsense. If some people want to spend the rest of their waking hours hounding a man and his children then it is their life and time to waste away unproductively so , up to them.

Nonsense. If some people want to spend the rest of their waking hours hounding a man and his children then it is their life and time to waste away unproductively so , up to them.

It's what we call pursuing justice, something which obviously means little to you. Allowing criminals to get off scot-free seems to be more your calling. You consider that to be a productive use of time?