Gm Food, The Results Of Testing.

AlexLah

Hi all,

I am not sure if all of you are aware of this, but would like to let you know as it is my duty as a responsible person.

You might have heard of Monsanto maybe not.

Thing is they provide farmers with Geneticaly modified seeds.

They tell they provide farmers with seeds that are resistant against all kind of disseases.

So they claim when using their seeds there is no need anymore to use anti pesticides.

My question is: Are there farmers in Thailand that use these seeds?

And is any of it in the Thai food chain?

Read the following: http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFre...Study/index.cfm

GM Please post your replies in the Off Topic thread.

I am asking a simple question as a non native English speaker and all you do is just post nonsense.

If you have nothing to add, then please refrain from posting. ore do it in the off topic thread, OK?

This is a serious question that I have.

Please stay on topic, OK?

Alex

Edited by AlexLah

Alex, yes, a good post indeed, although i think a lot of GM seeds have been banned in Thailand, im sure some unscurpolous suppiers still import/smuggle them over the thai borders,

It of course is an issue that should be addressed in more detail, although another concern is the over-use of pesticides/herbicides/fertilisers ect, The thai philosphy of more is better is worrying to say the least, many small rivers {klongs} have been poisened by rain/irrigation run-off, resulting in less fish, borehole water is full of the wrong nutrients, rain is better.

Im not sure if Japan still has a ban on Thai rice because of its chem content? but next time you posters buy a good looking banana or a juicy papaya, dragon fruit,ect ect ect just think of the chemicals it contains.

Rgds, Lickey.

Hi all,

I am not sure if all of you are aware of this, but would like to let you know as it is my duty as a responsible person.

You might have heard of Monsanto maybe not.

Thing is they provide farmers with Geneticaly modified seeds.

They tell they provide farmers with seeds that are resistant against all kind of disseases.

So they claim when using their seeds there is no need anymore to use anti pesticides.

My question is: Are there farmers in Thailand that use these seeds?

And is any of it in the Thai food chain?

Read the following: http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFre...Study/index.cfm

Yes - I do, in fact I am one of a number of corn/maize growers in Thailand whose who has worked with a major international crop seed producer on policy to test so-called geneticaly modified corn/maize seed in Thailand - so I know a bit about the subject.

To answer your question: Monsanto has never claimed that their seed will mean the end of pesticide or herbice use. The only 2 things Monsato has offered in the way of gentically modified maize seed to Thailand, are 2 types known as BT and Roundup Ready cultivars.

BT is bollworm resistant and RoundUp Ready is resistant to certain type of herbicide called RounsUp - enabling farmers to spray herbicide and not damage the maize plant.

Those are the 2 products Monsanto has lobbied for permission to conduct fields trials with in Thailand - to date unsuccessfully.

Both the above products are used on a huge scale in the USA, and are well established seed products - with no risks to human on consumption of the seed.

However - there are some very serious issues associated with the use of GM seed - and they are issues far more important than questions associated with the applicantion of herbicide and safe consumption.

Read on.........

There are some very credible arguments both sides of this argument. One of the arguments that the against lobby highlighted in their campaign for many years was the potential risk that g/modified food posed to humans. That argument, as time goes on, has shown its self probably to be the one argument that carries little to no evidence in support of. I think it fair to say, that on the basis of the evidence to date, humans face little helath risk consuming g/modified maize - and by that I mean g/modified to cope with climatic and pest conditions. What other "modifications" that may be done in the future? well, we will have to wait and see (no-one knows), but as matters current stand g/modified maize has shown its self to be quite safe.

But there are other arguments: I care little for the "tampering with God" type arguments because by and large fauna and flora does in any even "modify" its self over time to cope with conditions - its called evolution, and at its core genetic level those natural changes are not much different from what scientists are doing in the lab - allbeit they cause it to occur in a fratcion of the time it would otherwise take to happen naturaly.

Where I do think one of the big risk lies is the effect g/modified crops may turn out to have on the utilisation of avalible land resources. Take South America now - Argentina and Brazil are the worlds largest producers of g/modified soya - which is used abudantly in processed foodtsuffs all over the world (to include Thailand). While the food stuffs themselves have been demonstrated to be quite safe, the ecology of the enviroments in which they are been grown have been turned up side down - with vast swathes of what was prime/virgin wood & dense tropical forest been stripped out. Huge areas - single fields measuring 2 000 - 5 000 acres in some cases, and farms measuring 10's of thousands of acres in size.

This, in my humble opinion is the risk we face with the rise in the cultivation of g/modified crops.

In so far as Thailand is concerned a bit of history about maize production is in order here - namely, that Thailand was for many years a net exporter of maize. It is now a gross importer - despite rather good improvements in year on year yields. And herein lies a major problem.

While the argurments for baning the use of herbicides and pesticides are very strong (there is massive abuse in the use of both these chemical compounds in Thailand), the reality of the matter is that the population of South East Asia is exploding, and like it or not - those populations are going to have to be fed.

The choices are several, amongst which is the development of food stuffs that yield more per unit area (per rai) than traditional crop cultivars did, the development of crops that are more resistant to weeds and the development of crops that are more resistant to pests. As far as maize is concerned the primary progress lies in the development of "RoundUp". "Roundup" is a "treatment" that can be applied to any type of maize/corn seed. In short it enables farmers to use herbicides on fields of corn - the maize plant been immune from the effects of the the herbicide. the result: substantial reduction in cultivation costs and a higher yield on maturation.

So above we have a pro and con for the use of g/modified crops - but above all this there is a much larger problem looming, and its s problem that the international community is going to have to deal with pretty smartly.

It's the control of food production i.e. seed producers developing seed types that, while indeed are immune to pests and herbicides become patented and protected intellectual property of the seed suppliers. Such seed stock will give yields hereto only dream't of, but which will only be avalible to those who can afford them.

On the same line, such seeds which are genetically modified so that the mature plants, which yield seed on maturity for harvesting (such as maize), can also be g/modified so that the seeds are sterile. The consequences: like it or not farmers will be forced into buying seed from certainly suppliers.

These 2 issues (corporate control of resistant seed stock and seed stock that yields only sterile seed on maturation), potentialy allows patent/intellectual property holders to control food production and the cost of its production. Much like the patent control that was exercised over AIDS drugs for many years. The control of food production can threaten whole nations, it can be used as a tool for political/foreign policy ..... and I can think of a dozen other potential threats such control of over food production poses.

In summary: while those for and against argue the health & enviromental pro's and cons of geneticaly modified seed, the real risk & threat is been missed: it is the lack of international legislation and agreement regards intellectual property policy and how and what IP holders and governments will, and will not be allowed to do as far as food production is concerned. The first thing that comes to mind is the potential usage of g/modified sterile seed stock as a foreign policy tool - a hypothetical example: a USA government law forbidding the distribution of g/modified maize seed to say Pakistan because it hasn't done enough to irridicate Al Queda from the tribal regions, or the withholding of seed from Burma while the current regime is in place..... each country will no doubt have a bunch of reasons it can think of. but the point is: while the development of geneticaly modified maize (as it does with other crop types - to include rice), moves forward at a rapid pace, much as has happened with the internet over the years, the international community has failed to appreciate all the issues. In so far as g/modified seed goes it is the potential control such seed will give companies like Monsanto and Cargill over international food production - and the risks the world could potentialy face unless all get together and agree (amongst many other things) that genetics and food will and cannot be used as a political tool.

..... and finally: has/is RoundUp Ready maize been cultivated in Thailand illegally?

Yes it has - I know for a fact it has been cultivated on a small scale in the North East on an on & off basis for a number of years, from seed smuggled back from the USA in baggage packed as popcorn seed.

Edited by Maizefarmer

Please stay on topic, OK?

As the link in your original post was about the effects of GM corn on mice, I think my reply was on topic.

Yes you were CM, but if you would like to have a bit of a deeper look at that criminal organisation called Monsanto I bet your perception of reality will be a bit different.

Have a look at this if you have time try to look at all 10 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMleWZXhi6s

And Maizefarmer,

Thanks for for your excellent reply, I am now digging a bit deeper into this issue and I am really astonished to find out what is really going on.

As you said you are aware of the illegal use of GM seeds in Thailand, that is really scary.

And I am not only talking about health related issues of using that stuff.

This is no conspiracy, it is happening right in front of your eyes bust most people refuse to look at it.

:o

Gary,

There are many more reasons why GM food should not be allowed, not only health.

I dunno if you have looked the docu about Monsanto on the YT link I provided.

And it's not only seeds they manipulate, they also have been busy with growth hormones for animals, remember the Dioxine scandals?

PCB's, Agent Orange and a lot of other dodgy practices, like releasing GM modified fish in the waters ilegally.

There is gonna be financial troubles for farmers that use the seeds and whatevver else they try to introduce.

But my guess is that it is already too late, look here:

http://www.monsanto.com/who_we_are/locations/thailand.asp

And actively recruiting

http://th.jobsdb.com/TH/EN/V6/JS/JobSearch...hailand+Ltd.%22

But there might be just a litlle bit of hope, look here:

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=14894

It seems the guys who did the coup had some other interest as well, apart from stating they wanted the best for the country.

Anyway as Maizefarmer also pointed out that it can be used as an economic tool by this company.

Imagine Thailand as the nr1 exporter of rice depending on Monsanto for their seeds and then Monsanto says, well you know we will not sell you anymore because, bla bla bla.

What do you think the impact on the economy would be?

The same with this supposed banking crisis, it is utter bull, all orchestrated by people psychopaths that do not even deserve the air they polute breath, disgusting.

Imagine controlling money and the supply of it as a powerfull tool, and compare that with controlling the supply of food.

Which has more power?

Edited by AlexLah

I think both of you do not fully understand that the herbicide that you need to purchase from Monsanto is a very TOXIC chemical.

You should step in your helicopter and try to see the bigger picture of this scam.

I think both of you do not fully understand that the herbicide that you need to purchase from Monsanto is a very TOXIC chemical.

You should step in your helicopter and try to see the bigger picture of this scam.

Had the pleasure of sitting next to a Monsanto VP years ago.

A remark of his I will not forget,"What's a few ospreys more or less?"

Aspartame is also not nice.

Had the pleasure of sitting next to a Monsanto VP years ago.

A remark of his I will not forget,"What's a few ospreys more or less?"

Here another quote:

Monsanto's former head of Internet PR also had a favourite quote that he'd tell to PR audiences, which was about the Internet being a weapon. He said, 'Think of the Internet as a weapon on the table. Either you pick it up or your opponent does - but somebody's going to get killed.'

These kind of people show similair brainpatters as serial killers, no remorse or feelings of guilt at all.

And a lot of them you can find at high management positions throughout the cooperate world.

At my former company I had in my private class the new CEO for some training.

I knew he was responsible for one of the biggest cover up's in Dutch history, namely signing a law that allowed big chemical companies to dump their highly toxic chemical waste in the groundwater by injecting that waste in wood to make it more outside durable.

That guy was later made the new CEO of the company that benefitted for millions of Euro's by him signing that law.

Well I made his day very very unpleasant I can tell you that.

Anyway here are some other sites with good info:

http://www.gmwatch.eu/

http://www.mindfully.org/GE/2006/India-Bio...eers21dec06.htm

For Thailand and the current status on the use of GM seeds, food, I am doing some more research and will keep this updated from time to time.

For those with kids and saying they do not care about GM food is really frightening.

Do you really understand what you are saying when scientific evidence is there that it will affect the health of those that consume this type of food?

Do you understand the possible effect on world food supply on the long term?

Where I do think one of the big risk lies is the effect g/modified crops may turn out to have on the utilisation of avalible land resources. Take South America now - Argentina and Brazil are the worlds largest producers of g/modified soya - which is used abudantly in processed foodtsuffs all over the world (to include Thailand). While the food stuffs themselves have been demonstrated to be quite safe, the ecology of the enviroments in which they are been grown have been turned up side down - with vast swathes of what was prime/virgin wood & dense tropical forest been stripped out. Huge areas - single fields measuring 2 000 - 5 000 acres in some cases, and farms measuring 10's of thousands of acres in size.

Great info, maizefarmer!

Regarding land resources, wouldn't the greater yield of food from utilizing GM crops mean that fewer acres of land are needed to feed the same population?

Let's say there is a greater yield, what do you think will happen with the prices?

If more of things are available it will lower the price of goods.

So farmers have to harvest more crops to be able to pay of ther debts provided by these same companies.

Don't you see it?

I view GM food the same way I view vaccines. When I was a kid, There were MANY people who were crippled by polio. Today there are people who don't believe in vaccines and blame them for many problems. Yes, it may be true that some children have allergies to these life saving vaccines but the fact is that people are living much longer now than years ago. Someone must be doing something right. Young adults today still have all their teeth because of fluoride that was added to the drinking water yet there are people who make claims that fluoride is very dangerous. There are health food fanatics who stay on strict diets. Does it help them? Maybe it does but I believe in all things in moderation. I believe that diets, in particular the low carbohydrate diets seriously upset the balance of nature. Other than people with a chemical imbalance the only way to lose weight is to build up you arms so that you can push yourself away from the table.

Let's say there is a greater yield, what do you think will happen with the prices?

Greater yields are a very good thing- it means global demand for a crop can be met using less arable land. The remaining land can be used for other crops or non-agricultural purposes.

Ultimately the core driver of the problem is population growth. The world can't sustain growth forever, even if we cut down every forest.

'between eating GM food and those sprayed with chemicals, I'll take GM food'--or you can live in Thailand where you probably get the benefit of both GM and then spraying them on top of it!

I think the thing that we need to be aware of, is that we are living in a very over populated world with limited available space. We are probably near some major environmental catastrophes that could seriously change the equation. If it takes GM food to get us through the difficult time, I am for it.

its all about money and monsato are up there with the pharmacuetical companies who dont give a toss what their products do to you.Monsato persauded the indian govt. to donate farming land to experiment with gm crops and its been an unmitigated disaster.

You cant trust anyone these days to do the right thing by others,these include governments,financial institutions,agri business,the whole planet is sick including the people that run it and there ae n't many of them which is scary.

apologies but am having a monday rant!

Greater yields are a very good thing- it means global demand for a crop can be met using less arable land. The remaining land can be used for other crops or non-agricultural purposes.

Ultimately the core driver of the problem is population growth. The world can't sustain growth forever, even if we cut down every forest.

am not sure the problem is population growth.I think there is enough land but its not being used correctly.For instance due to so called global warming that cause droughts in some areas and floods in others,de-forestation,the use of land to grow crops,not to feed people but to create fuel,the over use of land by big agri combine business(land is meant to lay fallow for one year after harvest so nutrients in the soil can be replenished),the growing of crops that need huge amounts of water to grow are planted in countries that have low rainfall.Civil wars that destroy the land and take away farmers to soldiers etc. etc.

Looks to me like the people citing this study as a reason to ban GM seeds did not actually read it or even the conclusion. Nowhere does it claim to be definitive study with unambiguous findings of the multi generational impacts of eating GM corn as 30% of your diet. As usual, people with agendas have seized upon it to further their own non-scientific based beliefs they are trying to force on others.

TH

5. Conclusion

Feeding mice with diets containing the transgenic corn NK603 x MON810 in different

models of multi-generation studies indicated that the RACB trial design

was sensitive and could therefore be better suited compared to the MGS model

for the evaluation of reproductive traits. Reproductive traits were not statistically

different over 4 generations in the MGS, but in differences between the groups

became obvious in the 3rd and 4th litters of the RACB.

RNA microarrays and q-RT-PCR indicated differences between the groups. The

findings were weak and need confirmation. However, a dietary impact on gene

expression cannot be excluded. The high intra group variance could be due to

different sensitivity of genotypes within the outbred mouse strain OF1 used in

this study. For further investigation an RACB including several inbred strains

could be useful. Some data obtained from the assessment of selected traits in

organs by electron microscopy indicate a diet-host interaction that should be further

evaluated.

The trial indicates that dietary interactions with the host organism have to be

further evaluated. Regarding the sensitivity of the topic, studies are needed to

extend the database using standardized feeding trials with clear endpoints such

as reproductive performance and a backup by genomic, proteomic and metabolomic

traits.

Summarising the study, the maize with the stacked event NK603 x MON810 affected

the reproduction of mice in the RACB trial. Whether similar findings could

be expected for other animals, needs to be evaluated in studies including reproductive

traits. Future studies are necessary to determine the impact of normal

and transgenic dietary ingredients on the organism.

Yes you were CM, but if you would like to have a bit of a deeper look at that criminal organisation called Monsanto I bet your perception of reality will be a bit different.

Get a grip slick. With this comment you just lost all credibility.

Give us your 10 point plan for feeding the world's hungry.

Re: Brasil. They are very proud of being self sufficient in Ethanol - Despite how many miles of virgin rain forest they chop down each year.

Alex I thought your intent was anti-globalization anti-McDonalds & I was right.

Please please flame me.

All this from the guy that brought us those big TV hits. "My buddy got shot on Thonglor" and "The World will End on September 10th".

When I looked up the meaning of conspiracy in the Thai Dictionary, I expected to see Alex's photo, but instead there was a crop circle that spelled "Alex Was Here"

:D

All this from the guy that brought us those big TV hits. "My buddy got shot on Thonglor" and "The World will End on September 10th".

When I looked up the meaning of conspiracy in the Thai Dictionary, I expected to see Alex's photo, but instead there was a crop circle that spelled "Alex Was Here"

:o:D:D

:o:D:D

BTW Alex, that Spirit House you have outside your house in not for the birds. And that noise you hear coming from behind you as you walk .... is only your shadow. :D

I know all about Round-up. there is a reason it is the most popular herbicide, it's fantastic. Claiming that a herbicide is toxic is like complaining that fire is hot. It wouldn't be much good if it wasn't. The question is, to what or to whom it is toxic, and how long it is toxic. Round-up has been around for decades and is neutralized by soil contact. It is toxic too green plants when in direct contact at the right dilution. And although I have no doubt that Monsanto is a criminally negligent multinational, I beleive the GM science is integral to the future of humanity and potentially our best bet to feed the hungry and utilize marginal lands instead of rainforests.

Resisting GM science at this stage would be like resisting the use of soap after the discovery of bacteria.

I am gonna post here some quotes and snips that I found on the net.

An insect pest that is supposed to be killed by a type of genetically modified cotton crop with

an in-built toxin gene has developed resistance and is beginning to spread in parts of the United States,

a scientific study has found.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/...ops-779794.html

Quote Pris Charles:

He called cultivating the modified crops "a global moral question" and "a wrong turning on the

route to feeding the world". He associated the technology with "commerce without morality" and "science without humanity".

Gordon Brown:

Gordon Brown is calling on the European Union to relax its rules on importing genetically modified animal feed in a

further sign of the Government's willingness to embrace the controversial technology. Mr Brown believes GM crops are

vital to the attempt to cut spiralling food prices.

His proposal comes the day after The Independent revealed that the Environment minister, Phil Woolas,

has held private talks with the biotechnology industry about relaxing Britain's policy on the use of GM crops.

So where is all the talk about the food crisis now? I have not seeen any reporting on it as compared to beginning of this year.

Snip:

But doesn't this also produce bigger yields, which would be vital at a time of global food shortages?

Unfortunately not. In fact, GM crops can even produce smaller yields. There is plenty of evidence,

for example an April 2006 report from the United States Department of Agriculture stating that "currently

available GM crops do not increase the yield potential of a hybrid variety. In fact, yield may even decrease

if the varieties used to carry the herbicide- tolerant or insect-resistant genes are not the highest yielding cultivars".

Sipperdesnip:

The argument against allowing genetically modified crops to be grown commercially in Britain can be summed up in two words: green concrete.

It means a landscape in which fields have a crop growing in them but nothing else. No wild plants or flowers of any sort, no butterflies

or moths, no smaller insects on which birds and their chicks can feed, and so no birds. Green concrete means a countryside that still may

be called the countryside, and may still appear green, but apart from the crop, it will be entirely sterile and lifeless.

Snip:

Last week the biggest study of its kind ever conducted - the International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology for Development -

concluded that GM was not the answer to world hunger

The study – carried out over the past three years at the University of Kansas in the US grain belt – has found that GM soya produces

about 10 per cent less food than its conventional equivalent, contradicting assertions by advocates of the technology that it increases yields.

Quote:

Dr Irina Ermakova, of the Russian Academy of Science, calls the GM potatoes "dangerous" for rats, adding:

"On this evidence, they cannot be used in the nourishment of people".

What the experiment found

Russian scientists added flour made from a GM soya to the diet of female rats two weeks before mating them,

and continued feeding it to them during pregnancy, birth and nursing. Others were give non-GM soya or none at all.

Six times as many of the offspring of those fed the modified soya were severely underweight compared to those born to

the rats given normal diets. Within three weeks, 55.6 per cent of the young of the mothers given the modified soya died,

against 9 per cent of the offspring of those fed the conventional soya.

There is no such thing as conspiracy?

Ministers are trying to scrap an international agreement banning the world's most controversial genetic modification

of crops, grimly nicknamed "terminator technology", a move which threatens to increase hunger in the Third World.

Ministers are drawing up plans for genetically-modified crops to be grown in secret and more secure locations to

prevent trials being wrecked by saboteurs.

Judges have ordered the publication of a secret study which has raised fears that eating GM food may harm human health

The company denies environmentalists' accusations that it is appealing to try to keep the study secret

while European ministers decide next month whether to allow the corn to be sold for human consumption.

If ministers cannot agree, the EC has made clear it will wave it through anyway, using a loophole in European law.

There is a lot more info but I am looking for multiple spources that can confirm the same ore similair.

Oh, and I don't like to flame Dotcom. :D

I have not included all links as I know most people will not read the wole story's anyway.

Anyway now it is proven that those GM crops do not have higher yields that fairy tale is solved then.

Actually when the spokesperson of Monsanto was confronted with the results of the lower yield of GM crops he answered: I am surprised you found out.

And what has this guy to do with it?

post-21826-1226932534_thumb.jpg

More to come!

Edited by AlexLah

Bump!

Those of you that do not care about GM food, please provide links that prove GM food is safe.

Bumping this thread.

I've come late to this discussion and am pleasantly surprised by the number of pro-GM posters, as I have been pro science-based agriculture and GM for many years.

Firstly, Alex - you seem to have some kind of fixation about Monsanto. If you need some info on the safety of GM food why not just do a Google search on 'GM food safe'. here is one link:

http://www.food.gov.uk/gmdebate/aboutgm/gm...=GM%20Microsite

I might also ask you to provide a science-based link on how organic food is deemed safe. Is it by default? ie. because the plants have not been treated with 'synthetic chemicals' - is that enough to assume they are safe, or even safer than conventionally grown crops or GM crops? If so, then I can argue against that. At least GM foods are tested and/or carefully assessed for their safety for consumption.