Questions On Investing/buying Thai Stocks/mutual Fund ?

Anyone has experience doing this ?

Can a foreigner buy thai stocks ? Can you open an account online ? or must you do it in person.

Once you have an account, can you trade online or do you have to go through your broker ?

And how do you pay taxes on gains, if any. what rate ?

I'm interested in investing/buying some thai stocks (listed on Thailand's Stock Exchange). Would appreciate any information anyone can provide. Thanks.

Edited by Aswin

Can a foreigner buy thai stocks ? Can you open an account online ? or must you do it in person.

Once you have an account, can you trade online or do you have to go through your broker ?

I'm interested in investing/buying some thai stocks (listed on Thailand's Stock Exchange). Would appreciate any information anyone can provide. Thanks.

Wow, that is a big question. I would ask both my Thai laywers and compare answers.. Here is what I know. Remember that as a farang you are bared from doing busness in lots of areas and that means holding stock in some areas. I think I remember banking, communication and certain kinds of manufacturing. Now what makes this even more interesting as I'm allowed to have an Amity corp that give me more options that folks from say the EU... BTW, has the EU gotton their thingo for Amity corps done. Doubt it as the Kingdom still wollows in constitutinal issues let alone Treaties, which is what the Amituy thingo is an Amity Treaty!

Would I get involved in the SET, Why.. it is atleast as volatile if not more than the market based in ones home nation and we have better brokers at home. The set is a minor player in the world economy and Thailand will likely allow the baht to fall against the USD since the US is the MAJOR importer of good from Thailand. Subsitance economics ala the OTOP marketing thought (One Tambon One Product) has proved to get more goods into the hands of tourists and not as true mass exports. Trinket marketing v high value/volume cash flow!

Lets not mess about here as to rambutan and lychee either. Good question and I'm sure more can add stuff! That was my Song Satang (not Satang Song non counters in Thai)

Wow, that is a big question. I would ask both my Thai laywers and compare answers.. Here is what I know. Remember that as a farang you are bared from doing busness in lots of areas and that means holding stock in some areas. I think I remember banking, communication and certain kinds of manufacturing. Now what makes this even more interesting as I'm allowed to have an Amity corp that give me more options that folks from say the EU... BTW, has the EU gotton their thingo for Amity corps done. Doubt it as the Kingdom still wollows in constitutinal issues let alone Treaties, which is what the Amituy thingo is an Amity Treaty!

Would I get involved in the SET, Why.. it is atleast as volatile if not more than the market based in ones home nation and we have better brokers at home. The set is a minor player in the world economy and Thailand will likely allow the baht to fall against the USD since the US is the MAJOR importer of good from Thailand. Subsitance economics ala the OTOP marketing thought (One Tambon One Product) has proved to get more goods into the hands of tourists and not as true mass exports. Trinket marketing v high value/volume cash flow!

Wow, wow... let's try to put it straight...

-exports : USA is not a MAJOR importer of thai goods. It's an important one... among other... USA = 11,6 % of the total thai exports in september.

-agriculture is merely 12 % of total thai exports... To say that thai exports = OTOP is simply not true.

(source bank of thailand)

Now... stocks.

What are you talking about ? Doing business ? Amity Treaty ? Any foreign individual can buy SET stocks, via a brooker. You don't need to create a company....

How to open account, FAQ, taxes :

http://www.phatradirect.com/phatra/StaticP...nAnAccount.html

http://www.tiscoetrade.com/Tisco/faq.jsp?txtBrokerId=002

I have an account with sicco securites:

-You can have with cash account deposited on your broker or ATS (automatic transfer sistem) from your bank account

-Commission are very low (.25% operating with the broker and .16 with the internet)

-No capital gain in Thailand

check these:

www.ssec-online.co.th

www.seamico.co.th

Aswin

All of the questions you have asked have been asked many, many times before in this forum. Hence I would suggest you invest some time in scrolling back through previous threads and also doing key word searches (see link above and to the right). If you search on "thread titles only" this usually speeds up the process. You are bound to find some very helpful info. By the way, depending on your personal circumstances, you may well be able to invest in thai shares offshore and without opening an account with a thai broker.

cheers

CB

It would be quicker and easier just to burn your money.

A good free site to look at is Kim Eng Securities. Search for kelive in google.

Short selling is allowed. Only a few brokers offer this service...i believe Kim Eng is one of them.

No ETF's available as far as i am aware.

www.thailandjunkie.blogspot.com

For an ETF listed on the Thai SET you could checkt for

ThaiDEX SET50 ETF on the SET website (SET= Stock Exchange of Thailand)

But please check the trading volume and bid/ask spread. Also read the prospectus, if there is a market maker to ensure trading.

SET started a different ETF a few years ago, which basically had no trading volume, so you got a huge bid/ask spread.

If you have a brokerage account in the US, you could also consider the ISHARES Thai ETF:

iShares MSCI Thailand Investable Market Index Fund

Regarding buying shares in Thai companies:

There are basically three types of shares:

Local Shares: Only available to Thai

Foreign Shares: Available to Foreigners

Depending on the business foreigners can only hold a certain percentage in SET listed companies. If this percentage is reached no more foreign shares are available.

But in this case you can still buy a NVDR:

NVDRs: Non voting depository receipt. This is what you get, if you try to buy local shares via a broker. You get dividends (if the underlying company pays dividends) and can buy and sell them as if you buy local shares, but have no voting rights

For details, go to the Homepage of the SET and search for NVDR.

Be careful when investing, Emerging markets in general and Thailand in particular (due to the current political situation) are very volatile. Only put money in the market you can afford to lose!