The "bangkok Lung Infection"

girlx

indeed. :o also, would an air purifier in my house help? i spend most of my time at home since i work there. do those things work and are they expensive?

Good question. never got a definitive answer from someone who actually uses one.

A good substitute is a bucket of water placed in the line of a fan, or a boiling pan of water or similar. I open the top of my kettle (boiling pot).

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly I am glad to hear there is another sufferer, it seems since moving here I have had more days of cold like symptoms than those feeling well. Head migrates to throat and onto my chest and stays there, blocking my sinuses. I have bought a Netti pot, that works well I think, I also took advise that cleaning your ears helps to fight infections. taking 200mg of vitamin C a day. STILL the Bangkok Syndrome persists, will be following the thread

Oz

GirlX

I know exactly how you are feeling,I get this every year about this time and like clockwork I woke up with it this morning..

The only thing that works for me now is sadly anti biotics,I have tried each year to not take them, but it just hangs on longer..

Nick

I agree - I get this annually and always ends up as a persistent dry throat infection which will only go away (and quickly) with antibiotics. I usually go to a pharnacy for this but you have to be sure which ones give good advice otherwise the stuff they give u is useless. If it happens every month then maybe the poster should use a different antibiotic each time if possible.

Get yourself checked out for TB.... or at least that is what I would do.

eep!

living away from the great roads and not on them (Rama 4, Pahonyothin, Petchburi, Rachapralop come to mind)

yep i live on one of those great roads...

Then move for sure !!!! look all else is immaterial and any advice won't work.

most likely its the pollution or a chronic problem but in case nobody mentioned it, these symptoms can also be caused by an untreated STD. If you rule out other issues and the problem persists, go have a checkup for those too (urine tests).

( I like rare solutions- but its most likely not an STD problem )

(bored)

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had more than a cold in Bangkok, and even then only once a year or less.

Yes you are, what do you suggest we say hip hip hooray as we cough and choke ourselves silly !!!

Colds are caused by virus, it's an entirely different process that causes an allergy.

What a horrid posting.!!!

Should i intend to use the air/con in a hotel or guest house i clean the filter , you will be amazed at just how filthy most of them are , preventative maintainance is not A Thai high-point .Yes , Heppa air filters work fine , had to use them for my daughters alergies to pollen

Far and away from BKK now , best cure at no cost .

Should i intend to use the air/con in a hotel or guest house i clean the filter , you will be amazed at just how filthy most of them are , preventative maintainance is not A Thai high-point .Yes , Heppa air filters work fine , had to use them for my daughters alergies to pollen

Far and away from BKK now , best cure at no cost .

Sadly, this probably is the best advice anyone can give: if it's not the smog, it's the heat, it's the aircon, it's the cooking fumes, it's the chemicals in the malls.

It might sound pedantic but is allergy the right phrase to be using, after all unlike pollen for instance chemicals and pollution are not harmless.

On Sunday I went out for an hour. Came back and had an awful nasal attack quite incapacitated, worse pain than after being hit on the nose. Next day sure enough Bangkok Post had reported high figure of 100 microns where I live. There's no arguing with it. Just plain dirty air.

• 9 months later...