What Would You Buy?

FarangFatal

OK, for the first time in about 25 years I won't be drving a Benz....Mai Pen Rai.

Made in Thailand, within reason cost not an issue Fortuner etc OK! Would love to get another Benz as some are made in Thailand but out of BKK the roads are, well not autoban like etc.

What would you buy and can you give me a web site???????

I bought a Honda jazz dealer service abysmal wont mention the dealer but rhymes with "hummit" (as in top of a mountain) wrote letter to Japan Honda telling them Thai deaers were rubbish and that there "contact us" e mail did not work, got letter back from Japan to the UK apologising got Thailand Honda wanting to come round with service manager for Thailand Honda to apologise. Heard nothing form "hummit" Honda!!

I wouldnt buy Honda again I dont think its Honda per se but just Honda Thailand and this is what I told Honda Japan. The car is fine no faults the dealer was the problem.

I bought a Honda jazz dealer service abysmal wont mention the dealer but rhymes with "hummit" (as in top of a mountain) wrote letter to Japan Honda telling them Thai deaers were rubbish and that there "contact us" e mail did not work, got letter back from Japan to the UK apologising got Thailand Honda wanting to come round with service manager for Thailand Honda to apologise. Heard nothing form "hummit" Honda!!

I wouldnt buy Honda again I dont think its Honda per se but just Honda Thailand and this is what I told Honda Japan. The car is fine no faults the dealer was the problem.

Honda Jazz is my pick. Or anything Japanese (except shoes).

There could be 50,000 Japanese in Thailand overseeing their production lines.

A car would be by JP standards.

Living and working in Japan, I came to know how meticulous and detail focused they are. Could be frustrating at times, but absence of that brought the "Big 3" of Detroit down to their knees.

Would not bother with Fortuner. Crap interior, crap ride, crap brakes, (rear brakes are drum brakes for fok sake!!), crap engine, crap quality, crap wear 'n' tear. Just crap.

Buy a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.

These are no problems for roads outside of Bangkok.

Driving Benz for 25 years and coming down to a Fortuner is one heck of a long fall...What happend you got hitched with a Thai?

Would not bother with Fortuner. Crap interior, crap ride, crap brakes, (rear brakes are drum brakes for fok sake!!), crap engine, crap quality, crap wear 'n' tear. Just crap.

Driving Benz for 25 years and coming down to a Fortuner is one heck of a long fall...What happend you got hitched with a Thai?

If you want reasonable space, flexibility and quality try the BMW X3, gas or diesel. Pricey but fantasic

If you want reasonable space, flexibility and quality try the BMW X3, gas or diesel. Pricey but fantasic

Agree about the BMW X3 and would also recommend the Lexus RX300.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mt wife a Isuzu D max 4door diesel utility.

It has acceptable performance,brakes and stability.

Reliability.Service backup.

Ok its not a Benz

My benz has better performance and slightly better dynamics. Much worse reliability lower trade in value.

Fully crap service backup.

Even after my wife pimped up the Dmax I am laughing all the way to the bank.

Fortuner crap engine??? Yeah right..
Little knowledge is dangerous isnt it :o . as far as im concerned toyota have never made a bad vehicle as such,you may not like it, but bad ?,. i dont think so, even mercedes and bmw cant get near toyota reliability,superior money for inferior product i think its called,.

Interesting - the best selling vehicle here in OZ is the Toyota Hilux - made in Thailand. We love them and they hold their value, unlike Ford or Jeep that drop faster than a stone.
What we are up against here in thailand are a load of snobs that know nothing about cars and want to impress people as knowledgable as them, they would rather push a merc than drive a jap car,. reminds me of the sort that wear t shirts " id rather push my harley than ride a rice burner " ,. most do end up pushing, oh how i laugh :o

"Buy a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.",and dont forget your pipe and slippers ! :o

Obviously Travelmate has absolutely no idea at all, whatsoever. The current D4D Diesel engine in the Toyota Fortuner & Hilux Vigo is first class, obviously Travelmate should stick with his 1980 model Cressida. Also a fully optioned Camry or Accord is going to cost a fair bit more than the fully optioned Fortuner. Also for 2009 model the Fortuner is reported to have improved its braking system but I am sure that is the vehicle that Travelmate tested before he released his comprehensive Fortuner report. :o

Obviously Travelmate has absolutely no idea at all, whatsoever. The current D4D Diesel engine in the Toyota Fortuner & Hilux Vigo is first class, obviously Travelmate should stick with his 1980 model Cressida. Also a fully optioned Camry or Accord is going to cost a fair bit more than the fully optioned Fortuner. Also for 2009 model the Fortuner is reported to have improved its braking system but I am sure that is the vehicle that Travelmate tested before he released his comprehensive Fortuner report. :o

Did you ever see how thinny and small is a chassis frame of a fortuner? I prefer my 1975 Toyota Crown. It have a much stonger chassis,

My last car in the UK was a Mercedes Coupe and I now have a Fortuna .... and I don't feel too short-changed at all. It's better suited to Thai roads than the Mercedes and it's a nice, solid, roomy, well built and surprisingly quiet car.

I'd also looked at the Camry and the Accord and was impressed with both - depends on if you want an SUV or a saloon really. I'd originally looked at Benz and BMW, but the extra cost is not justifiable in my books when the Camry/Fortuna/CRV and Accord are so good.

There will be people in the UK considering the Accord against a C-Class in the same price bracket, so why pay more?

Edited by Familyonthemove

OK, for the first time in about 25 years I won't be drving a Benz....Mai Pen Rai.

Made in Thailand, within reason cost not an issue Fortuner etc OK! Would love to get another Benz as some are made in Thailand but out of BKK the roads are, well not autoban like etc.

What would you buy and can you give me a web site???????

Don't know where you've been driving but I've never had a problem with the roads anywhere in Thailand, even off tarmac in a Toyota Corrolla.

My last car in the UK was a Mercedes Coupe and I now have a Fortuna .... and I don't feel too short-changed at all. It's better suited to Thai roads than the Mercedes and it's a nice, solid, roomy, well built and surprisingly quiet car.

I'd also looked at the Camry and the Accord and was impressed with both - depends on if you want an SUV or a saloon really. I'd originally looked at Benz and BMW, but the extra cost is not justifiable in my books when the Camry/Fortuna/CRV and Accord are so good.

There will be people in the UK considering the Accord against a C-Class in the same price bracket, so why pay more?

The hire one I had was quiet but it handled like a pick-up.

With having the same chassis, steering and engine as the Vigo I guess it's just a pick up with a fancy carry boy body on.

The hire one I had was quiet but it handled like a pick-up.

With having the same chassis, steering and engine as the Vigo I guess it's just a pick up with a fancy carry boy body on.

You are right that it has the same basic chassis, engine, steering as a Vigo, and also the Innova .... but it has coil springs at the rear unlike the pick-up and this improves the ride .... a bit. But it also means that it's as tough as a Toyota pick-up, and that must count for something? I hired a CRV and an Accord before choosing the Fortuna, and I reckon the latest spec Fortuna has the bettter ride over anything except perfectly flat roads.