Bangkok Threatens Noisy Nightclubs With Closure

george

BMA threatens nightclubs with closure

BANGKOK: -- Nightclubs in Bangkok which fail to comply with requests by the local authority to reduce their noise level could find themselves up against legislation passed by the military regime of the 1970s, Bangkok City Clerk Khun Ying Natthanon Thavisin warned yesterday.

The owners of 1,700 entertainment venues in Bangkok have been invited for a meeting with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and the Metropolitan Police on Saturday when they will be asked to cooperate with the local authorities in ensuring that noise levels are kept below 90 decibels.

Khun Ying Nathanon said that while the BMA and police would give nightclub owners five days to make adjustments, entertainment venues which failed to act within the stipulated time would face fines.

Repeat violators would be immediately shut down under legislation passed by the Revolutionary Council, the military regime of the 1970s.

However, the Bangkok city clerk admitted that officials might turn a blind eye to noise levels under a 110 decibel limit, as this would remain within the legal limit.

The city administration's move comes after His Majesty the King expressed concern, in his recent birthday speech, for the health of young people visiting entertainment venues, where high noise levels can cause premature hearing problems.

Khun Ying Nathanon expressed confidence that the BMA's request would be complied with by 90 percent of nightspot owners.

--TNA 2004-12-11

I have read this morning in the Nation about the implementation of this policy (the powers that be have forbidden me to reproduce it here). I do wish that there was as much zeal in clamping down on diesel pollution, from trucks and factories.

Repeat violators would be immediately shut down under legislation passed by the Revolutionary Council, the military regime of the 1970s.

However, the Bangkok city clerk admitted that officials might turn a blind eye to noise levels under a 110 decibel limit, as this would remain within the legal limit.

I don't have a real problem going after flagrant noise polluters but this proposed method by the powers-that-be ties in neatly with the thread on "obsolete laws".

Govt to slap controls on noisy nightclubs 

However, he conceded that current legislation could not force nightclubs to reduce their decibel levels, saying that nightclubs would initially merely be given requests to cooperate with the authorities.

-- TNA 2004-12-07

This is old news

all bark and no bite..............

A (Thai) bar owner I know in Bangkok was called to a police meeting, with a load more bar owners from the same area, and they were told this news, so they are trying to implement it.

Of course, it'll turn into another one of those half-arsed policies easily sorted out with a few backhanders in the long run.

Passed by this morning in a pub in Bangkok to say happy birthday to the owner.

Party was a little bit loud and people were dancing early morning.

For sure the men in brown came, sitting outside of the pub, 'just to make sure nobody will complain...'

Yeah, they got their beers. :o

That's btw, one more thing I like in the LoS, don't take everything so serious.