Onward Tickets

After a year in Taiwan I'll finally be returning to the glorious Land O' Smiles next month. I could apply for a tourist visa while here in Taiwan. However, it's a real hassle to make the trip to Taipei and hang around for a day or two waiting for it. Plus, since I'll only be in Thailand for a few months this time I figured the border runs will suffice.

I want to do some traveling in the far south of Thailand since I've not yet been further south than Phuket. I'm thinking Hatyai, Songkla etc, so when my 30 days are up I'll just hop across the Malaysian border. I'll be entering Thailand with a return ticket to Taiwan, but I doubt I'll use it. Does anyone know if they're still asking for a return ticket when crossing the overland border in the far south?

Thanks in advance for any info.

According to the law, yes you need the ticket; however not everybody is asking for it.

In my case, it was only once I have been asked if I have a return ticket and that was immediately after implementing the 90/180 days policy; furthermore I have noticed that all the signs used to be posted at Arnyapratet crossing border regarding the return ticket has been removed completely. But for cautious, it is better to have one, and if you are crossing to the south, then a train ticket will be sufficient enough, and you will only loose 20% of its value in case you return it back, just remember to buy it from where you will be refunding it because if you buy it in Malaysia, then you cannot refund it in Thailand and vice versa.

Bishop

After a year in Taiwan I'll finally be returning to the glorious Land O' Smiles next month. I could apply for a tourist visa while here in Taiwan. However, it's a real hassle to make the trip to Taipei and hang around for a day or two waiting for it. Plus, since I'll only be in Thailand for a few months this time I figured the border runs will suffice.

I want to do some traveling in the far south of Thailand since I've not yet been further south than Phuket. I'm thinking Hatyai, Songkla etc, so when my 30 days are up I'll just hop across the Malaysian border. I'll be entering Thailand with a return ticket to Taiwan, but I doubt I'll use it. Does anyone know if they're still asking for a return ticket when crossing the overland border in the far south?

Thanks in advance for any info.

No reports of immigration asking for onward tickets that I recall. Don't forget the 90 days in 6 months rule.

You might be able to mail in an application for a visa. Link to website for Trade office follows.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1157.php?depid=195

If you don't get a visa in Taiwan since you plan visiting the south you could get a visa in Kota Bharu Malaysia instead of making border runs.

Thanks for the tips. I'm glad to hear the onward ticket rule seems to have been forgotten. I'll look into mailing my passport for a Thai visa; I was a little concerned about trusting my passport to the Taiwanese postal service, but it would be nice to have a visa.

Whilst border crossings seem to have forgotten about the requirement the airlines most definately have not. Expect to have trouble boarding if you don't have an onward ticket or a visa :o

Not always. I few back from Singapore last week and nobody was interested in a return ticket - plus I bought the 1 way ticket at the airport (Air Asia). My non-O visa expired last month so I am currently on a 30 day visa exemption.

Whilst border crossings seem to have forgotten about the requirement the airlines most definately have not. Expect to have trouble boarding if you don't have an onward ticket or a visa :o

Sure, I kind of expected that. I will have a return ticket to Taiwan, since for some crazy reason the round trip ticket is substantially cheaper than the one way ticket. Strange, eh?

I've never been asked for a return/onward ticket when arriving from Malaysia, Cambodia or the Philippines by air.

At the Ban Laem/Cambodia border they require to see a ticket or you must purchase a 200 baht transportation ticket there.

At the Ban Laem/Cambodia border they require to see a ticket or you must purchase a 200 baht transportation ticket there.

:o Are they still doing that? What a scam!

They were still doing it in October when I did my last visa run.