Ten dead, Schools Close As Flooding Rages In Southern Provinces

george

Five die, schools close as flooding rages in southern provinces

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT: -- Five people have died in flash flooding in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, according to the provincial response disaster service, with the floods forcing many schools to close and thousands of schoolchildren to stay home.

Disaster prevention and mitigation officials report at least Bt210 million in damages in the province, with more than 150,000 residents affected. Almost the entire province has been flooded for several days, while torrential forest runoffs have hit two more districts in Surat Thani.

Fifty schools are temporarily closed in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Local residents in the provincial seat moved their most prized--and portable--possessions to higher ground and many government offices have closed in the face of metre-deep floodwaters.

About 20 oceanfront fishing community homes in Pak Phanang and Hua Sai districts were struck by waves as large as three metres high. Strong winds and high waves capsized a fishing boat at a pier in Sichon district.

In Surat Thani, six districts--Chaiya, Tha Chang, Khirirat Nikhom, Kanchanadit and Donsak--were declared disaster zones due to flash floods.

Forest run-off destroyed a number of homes in Wipawadee district, but rescue workers were unable to access them as roadways are submerged or washed away.

Khiri Ratthanikhom, Tha Chang, and Chaiya districts were hit by flash flooding Thursday night following flooding in Don Sak and Kanchanadit and many roads in the provincial seat are flooded. Some areas are under three metres of water, but no causalities have been reported.

Wind, heavy rain and rough seas mean that ferry boats and fisheries have been on alert in provincial waters.

The Meteorological Department on Thursday issued the fifth warning of severe weather from a strong northeast monsoon over the lower south of Thailand, causing torrential rain and heavy downpour over the areas.

Residents on Thailand's east coast, including Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Patthani, Yala and Narathiwat should beware of flash flood and forest run-off during the next three days. All ships should proceed with caution and small boats should keep ashore.

-- TNA 2008-11-21

since approx. 04:00 am this morning we ha some very heavy downpours here on samui, by about 11:00 am it started to clear still heavy dark cloud cover southwest (Nakhon si Thammarat Province)!

sat image:

Weather Forecast From 12:00 - 12:00

Fairly widespread thundershowers and heavy to very heavy rain in various places of Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat. Minimum temperature 23 °C. Maximum temperature 30 °C. Northeasterly winds 20-40 km/hr. Wave height 2-3 meters.

Issued Date Nov 21, 2008

7-day Forecast Nov 21, 2008 - Nov 27, 2008

Scattered to fairly widespread thundershowers throughout of the period. Isolated heavy to very heavy rain in the lower portion from Surat Thani southward. During 23-25 Nov, increasing rain in the lower portion. Northeasterly wind 20-40 km./hr. Wave height 2-3 meters.

Source:

Windguru Link:

Edited by Samuian

Very sad.

I know that natural disasters are often difficult to predict (or control or influence the outcomes) but I just think that Thailand has had more than it's fair share over recent times.

NOT ANYWHERE NEAR AS BASD AS BURMA COPPED IT OR VIETNAM .IN THAILAND THEY CARRY ON WHEN IT FLOODS BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE -MORE TRUE ON KOHSAMUI THE ROADS/DRAINS HAVE BEEN BUILT BY MONKEYS WITH NO IDEA OF PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN DEALING WITH HEAVY DOWNPOURS.FUNNY THAT WHEN THEY LIFE HERE ALL THEIR LIFE AND STILL BUILD NEW ROADS THAT DONT WORK ...

.......edited... ON KOHSAMUI THE ROADS/DRAINS HAVE BEEN BUILT BY MONKEYS WITH NO IDEA OF PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN DEALING WITH HEAVY DOWNPOURS.FUNNY THAT WHEN THEY LIFE HERE ALL THEIR LIFE AND STILL BUILD NEW ROADS THAT DONT WORK ...

It's a result of they widespread Corruption, "They", those who build these roads, are not less human then you are! (sorry)

Plus there is a learning factor, this year there is much less (so far) flooding, saw many drainage channels cleaned...but here is the problem of way too many "off runs" from uncovered roads, clogging up the drainage channels in a matter of hours... in private hands and the Thai way of handling things.. so ... but I am just back from London... ehem....there might not be any flooding as the downpours are way not as much as they are in the tropics, but the pavements...boardwalks who where those "monkeys" who build them? :o

Edited by Samuian

[ THE ROADS/DRAINS HAVE BEEN BUILT BY MONKEYS WITH NO IDEA OF PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN DEALING WITH HEAVY DOWNPOURS.FUNNY THAT WHEN THEY LIFE HERE ALL THEIR LIFE AND STILL BUILD NEW ROADS THAT DONT WORK ...

Oh for God's sake! Can we not even have a report of death in tragic circumstances due to the weather without resorting to negative comments of Thai people.

<br />
Very sad.<br /><br />I know that natural disasters are often difficult to predict (or control or influence the outcomes) but I just think that Thailand has had more than it's fair share over recent times.
<br /><br /><br /><br />NOT ANYWHERE NEAR AS BASD AS BURMA COPPED IT OR VIETNAM .IN THAILAND THEY CARRY ON WHEN IT FLOODS BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE -MORE TRUE ON KOHSAMUI THE ROADS/DRAINS HAVE BEEN BUILT BY MONKEYS WITH NO IDEA OF PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN DEALING WITH HEAVY DOWNPOURS.FUNNY THAT WHEN THEY LIFE HERE ALL THEIR LIFE AND STILL BUILD NEW ROADS THAT DONT WORK ...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? If you don't like it here in Koh Samui, move. Get used to it. This is Thailand,

<br />
Very sad.<br /><br />I know that natural disasters are often difficult to predict (or control or influence the outcomes) but I just think that Thailand has had more than it's fair share over recent times.
<br /><br /><br /><br />NOT ANYWHERE NEAR AS BASD AS BURMA COPPED IT OR VIETNAM .IN THAILAND THEY CARRY ON WHEN IT FLOODS BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE -MORE TRUE ON KOHSAMUI THE ROADS/DRAINS HAVE BEEN BUILT BY MONKEYS WITH NO IDEA OF PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN DEALING WITH HEAVY DOWNPOURS.FUNNY THAT WHEN THEY LIFE HERE ALL THEIR LIFE AND STILL BUILD NEW ROADS THAT DONT WORK ...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? If you don't like it here in Koh Samui, move. Get used to it. This is Thailand,

Never mind as you say this is Thailand and we get the same sort of corruption all over the globe even in the United Nations and leaders of governments which are not third world so put up with it or buy a small boat by the way their is also a storm warning cheers guys have a nice rainy weekend me to I live in Trang Drzzzzzzllle

:D

Hi, OK so jus a wee quesion here! :o Why do a lot of people get distraced from the main subject of a disaster hitting a country, be it Thailand or anywhee else in the world!

It all seemed to start ok, someone was reporting the facts that there is a lot of flooding and even more hardships being experienced by the people effected by this heavy rain and winds!

So I feel that we should all be concerned with people surviving this onslaught by nature, and leave the finger pointing of inadequate infrasructure at the appropriate people :D

Just a thought, I thoughts and hopes are with those effected by this!

Thanks for listening, Have a good day

ms

Just had a nice torrential downpoar, but fortunately pretty short.

But enough to wipe the satalite TV and internet out for a spell.

I have been through nearly 4 years of Samui floodings.

It IS improving a lot. Not right yet,

but as the Tesseban does things people counter act it in another way.

Aye mate, we discuss it because it's most in mind now and most likely to get a hearing too.

When the weathers sunny who worries about flood control.

We need to make the changes start happening now when it's in our faces.

The Samui roads have WAY more traffic than the road beds were designed for.

During the Thaksin years, he refused road repair moneys EXCEPT when it was declared

an actual emergency and Farangs Tourists were screaming to get off the island...

The south didn't vote for him, no services....

Much of the drains put in HAVE greatly improved the situation, but not everywhere.

Some places the problem is neighbors have built up to protect themselves,

rather than HELP drain it off past their land, so it finds another way to go.

The powers that be have yet to be given enough say to INSIST citizens land

MUST be used to abet natural water run off rather than block it.

They haven't figured who to evict or emminent domain to drain the Chaweng lake

enough to keep up, so it just floods the area big time. Lamdin market being the biggest loser,

of the moment. But mostly 'little people' so the authorities don't move so fast.

Most ALL the problems are man made, and solvable

with a will to FORCE people to act properly.

Maybe this year with City status and the new mayor...

My biggest complaint is road layout.

If the truck wheels went left and right of a raod seam they would tear it up less.

Right now the center line and left seam are RIGHT on the biggest vehicles tires,

so they take a serious beating faster. And twice as fast in rainy season.

Then the left seam becomes a serious road hazard for motorcycles.

If they put one strip dead center, then one left and one right,

less tire to seam contact and less road maintainance costs and safer.

And less getting a tire caught in a seam under a puddle

and being thrown into oncoming traffic unexpectedly.

Seen that horror to many times lately.

So far no one has died here this year, but some were lost a few years back.

Sad about Surat Thani and Nakkon too.

Edited by animatic

I took a passing interest in the new drains put in on Pattaya Klang a couple of years ago. Where did the rubble go? Down the drain of course making the entire operation pointless. I have no reason to suspect the practice is widespread.

New drains were put in on the estate where I live a year ago. The sewer runs under the middle of the road so that the drains are situate at the top of the road camber. Doh!

I have trouble in dismissing the notion that from a civil engineering point of view candidates for Darwin awards are running the show.

[ THE ROADS/DRAINS HAVE BEEN BUILT BY MONKEYS WITH NO IDEA OF PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN DEALING WITH HEAVY DOWNPOURS.FUNNY THAT WHEN THEY LIFE HERE ALL THEIR LIFE AND STILL BUILD NEW ROADS THAT DONT WORK ...

Oh for God's sake! Can we not even have a report of death in tragic circumstances due to the weather without resorting to negative comments of Thai people.

I agree

Two missing, houses buried by flash floods in south

By The Nation

Published on November 22, 2008

In the face of serious flooding, the Surat Thani provincial authority has declared six districts in the southern province as "disasterhit" areas - Chaiya, Tha Chang, Vibhavadi, Khiri Rat Nikhom, Kanchanadit and Don Sak.

In the face of serious flooding, the Surat Thani provincial authority has declared six districts in the southern province as "disasterhit" areas - Chaiya, Tha Chang, Vibhavadi, Khiri Rat Nikhom, Kanchanadit and Don Sak.

" A flash flood last night caused damage and landslides," said Vibhavadi district chief Prasert Jitmung yesterday. Two people are missing, he said, and five houses were still buried under piles of earth and mud.

"Rescue workers cannot reach the area to offer help because the floodwater current is too strong," Prasert said. "At the worsthit spots, the water is over three metres deep."

In Khiri Rat Nikhom district, 300 people have been evacuated from their homes and floodwaters have risen to nearly four metres .

Many roads in Surat Thani are impassable because of rising floodwater.

In the neighbouring province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, floods have swamped many areas and 50 local schools have suspended classes indefinitely. There are over 150,000 flood victims in Nakhon Si Thammarat alone.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department warned people in 10 southern provinces to brace for more flash flooding. Aside from Surat Thani and Nakhon Si Thammarat, provinces on the flood warning list are Chumphon, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, Trang and Satun.

Thanks SBK, good to know. Though of course not good...

It's just been raining like mad the last hour or more, but finally stopped.

No doubt the way to Chaweng is pretty deep now.

These rains are seeming greater than even a few years ago....

Oops spoker to soon It just started raining madly again.

And I have a 50k drive to do now.

Edited by animatic

Flash floods hit southern provinces; two drowned, infant missing

SURAT THANI, Nov 22 (TNA) -- Rescue officials are still searching for a one-year-old boy who has been missing after water runoff hit the southern province of Surat Thani, drowning at least two persons and injured two others.

More than 300 villagers' homes and several roads in Surat Thani's Wipawadi district were damaged while two persons drowned and another two injured on Friday, district officer Prasert Chitmung commented, after inspecting damage.

Damage was estimated at not less than Bt100 million initially, said Mr. Prasert, adding that losses could have been lowered had the disaster warning system not been out of order.

As heavy rains continued in the province, Mr. Prasert had ordered the local population to evacuate risk-prone areas, and to repair roads in the villages.

Mudslides in a village of Wipawadi district had affected about 150 houses as owners were unable to contact with the outside world. The victims, including a pregnant woman and 16 children, were trapped while rescue officials were on their way by foot to rescue them. It is expected that they would reach the site Saturday night.

Meanwhile, Phatthalung governor Suthep Komolpamorn, had ordered Disaster Mitigation and Prevention officials in the province, as wellas district officers, to be on alert for water runoff and mudslides from the Bunthad mountain range following heavy rains in the past few days.

People living in two districts in Phatthalung have been advised to stay away from the mountain following recent mudslides. (TNA)

General News : Last Update : 16:20:44 22 November 2008 (GMT+7:00)

Troops called out as floods hit South

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on November 23, 2008

At least seven dead as waters surge across stricken region

As downpour-triggered floods ravaged the South yesterday, the Fourth Army Region set up 17 disaster-relief centres covering 14 provinces.

Regional commander Lt-General Pichet Visaijon said extra officers had been brought in to evacuate victims and clear blocked roads.

Nakhon Si Thammarat declared 17 out of 23 districts emergency areas after floods caused damage worth more than Bt210 million.

Provincial governor Panu Uthairat said 159,700 residents were affected, with seven deaths and more than 200,000 rai of farmland, shrimp farms and fish ponds damaged along with other infrastructure.

The Rajaprajanugroh Foundation will deliver 2,000 relief bags in Muang and Tha Sala districts today.

Surat Thani province declared Vibhavadi, Khiri Ratthanikhom, Tha Chang, Kanchanadit, Phunphin, Chaiya and Don Sak districts disaster zones with 50-70 centimetres of flood water in low-lying areas and many country roads impassable. Tha Chang woman Uem Phudjaem, 94, slipped from her house ladder into floodwater and drowned yesterday.

Soldiers with heavy machinery were dispatched to clear an impassable seven-kilometre road to hardest-hit Tambon Takuk Nue for trucks to deliver food and drinking water.

The Rajaprajanugroh Foundation delivered 500 relief bags to Vibhavadi and another 500 to Khiri Ratthanikhom. Following Thursday night's flash flood in Vibhavadi, which damaged six homes in Modkhan village, local resident Navee Saeju said no deaths or injuries had occurred because many people had gone to a funeral at Bang Mor Pavillion, some two kilometres away.

In Songkhla, downpours flooded homes in Muang district's Koh Yor intersection area to 50cm, and the old Songkhla-Hat Yai Road was impassable for small vehicles. The flood caused a four-kilometre traffic jam.

Heavy rain since Friday night flooded Muang Songkhla's Khao Roop Chang Market, forcing many vendors to sell their goods beside the Songkhla-Na Thavee Road on higher ground.

With three-metre-high waves eating away parts of Chalathat Beach Road on the Laem Samila peninsula, Nakhon Songkhla Municipality mayor Uthit Chuchuay instructed officials to sandbag the coast and had pumps installed around the city to drain water into Songkhla Lake.

The Southern (East Coast) Meteorological Centre forecast rainfall nearly all over the region and heavy downpours in some places. Residents in endangered areas of Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phattalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat were told to brace for flash floods and forest floods in 1-2 days.

In Trang, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation officials rushed to inspect water sources after the province was hit by heavy rainfall and the meteorological office warned of forest floods and landslides in areas along the Ban That mountains in Trang, Phattalung and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

They found most reservoirs could take more water and the Trang and Palian rivers were 2-3 metres below their banks, but caution was advised.

That to me comes across a tad callous

Ditto

It has been raining VERY hard all morning today so far.

Nasty thunder boomers showers.

Electricity is out and I am on extra large UPS for internet till it fades out.

Not a good sign, must be getting worse in Surat Thani

Putting out these warnings is a most appropriate public service.

Edited by animatic

That to me comes across a tad callous

Ditto

It has been raining VERY hard all morning today so far.

Nasty thunder boomers showers.

Electricity is out and I am on extra large UPS for internet till it fades out.

Not a good sign, must be getting worse in Surat Thani

Putting out these warnings is a most appropriate public service.

I second that, here in Chaweng same, thunder, lightning and strong gusts and as of predictions it's going to get worse by the 27th!

it's easing now (10:36 am) but the hills towards southwest (lamai) are covered in heavy dark clouds....

Heavy rain expected in South

The Meteorological Department suggested on Sunday (November 23) rather strong northeast monsoon over the South and the Gulf of Thailand will weaken. Decreasing in rainfall are expected over the areas while wave height one to two metres is likely over the Gulf.

Besides, the surge of rather intense high pressure system from China will extend its ridge to cover the South China Sea and the eastern portion of Thailand during November 25-28.

Showers and cooler with morning fog are likely in the first time and drop in temperature to become cool generally with windy. High wave 2-3 metres occur in the Gulf during November 25-28, all ship should proceed with caution again.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 24 November 2008

Victims of 4 southern provinces' floods relieved

The Department of Prevention and Mitigation has provided assistance for victims of recent flash floods in four southern provinces.

Department of Prevention and Mitigation reported today (November 24) the recent floods’ situation in the southern region which have been hit by heavy rains which caused flash floods in four southern provinces, including Narathiwat, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, amd Phatthalung.

20 districts and 417 villages were affected hurting 35,069 local people, 14,063 households with three dead and one lost person. However, the situation has resumed normalcy. The department has coordinated with the provinces' departments of prevention and mitigation to provide relief for the areas’ victims.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 24 November 2008