For One Planning To Become An Expat

phetaroi

By the end of this month I will be putting my house in Virginia on the market in preparation for applying for a retirement visa for Thailand. I've been vacationing in Thailand more years than not since 1985, often for 2 months at a time, often staying in a flat (rather than a hotel). I know it's the right choice for me, and yes, I know not everything in Thailand/Bangkok is not wonderful. My question is not about whether or not it's a good thing to do.

My question is -- what nitty gritty things should I be thinking about as I prepare for the move. Advice about things like the practicality of banking, shipping basic personal property, and so forth -- those are the kinds of things I'm wondering if I have enough information...or where to find that information. In other words -- time for me to do more out of the box thinking to develop a checklist of things to do in preparation for the move. You're the experts. Help! What did some of you experience in this phase of the move? Incidentally, to make things smoother, I have decided to go through Siam Legal, which often advertises on this website.

Thanks!

It's a pretty broad field of information you're asking about--indeed as broad as Thai Visa itself. Which leads me to my suggestion: If I were in your shoes, I'd first peruse the main topics on the TV forum. Then I'd utilize the "search" feature in Thai Visa, using key words for various topics (shipping property, banking, etc. ).

There is a huge wealth of information on this forum spanning several years. There are posters, both foreign and Thais, with considerable expertise and experience here who have helped me innumerable times with everything under the sun. Sure, you get your odd-ball posters and those who blow smoke, but that's generally pretty easy to sift through.

Invest an hour or two a day in the forum, reading as much as you can, and I daresay it will be some of the best preparation you'll get for your big move.

Good luck and welcome to LOS, :o

TT

One piece of advice - Rent rent rent :o

Amen amen amen!

If I had bought, it would have taken me longer than a lifetime to realize an advantage over my 2,500 baht monthly rental of a new, spacious apartment. (1,000 Baht deposit, no long-term contract.). Started out 3,000 Baht/month but landlord reduced it as a reward for my long-term stay. Good security and freedom from major maintenance hassles provides the most care-free life I've enjoyed in decades. :D

While you are in US, think about the money mechanics in your future in Thailand. For example, are you going to need to wire in money from a US bank account? Well, you best check your bank (if it is still in business) to establish an in-person wiring agreement BEFORE you go. In many banks, if you fail to do this, you will have to fly back to the US to establish a wire. You will also have to think about whether you are going to maintain a faux USA identity or not for banking purposes. Some bank/credit cards/brokerage houses may cut you loose if you give them a Thai address. I also suggest getting a Vonage device (assuming you will get a DSL line in Thailand) to maintain a stable US phone number. Maybe not all of these concerns apply to you, but you had better think about them BEFORE YOU GO.

Some other issues:

if you have the time and your passport only has a few years on it, time to freshen your passport in the US, then you have 10 years not to worry about that

consider whether and how you intend to divorce yourself from Virginia state tax. Keeping a valid driver's license/banking mailing address in Virgina may or may not make Virginia see you as still having a tax obligation (this varies by state)

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks to both JimsKnight and Toptuan for their input about renting instead of buying. You have confirmed my sense of that wisdom. Having been around Thailand a bit, I know that brink and mortar can go down hill surprisingly fast, you never know the real quality of the construction, and upkeep is anybody's guess. Not to mention that, although my sense is that it rarely happens, you never really know if your yearly visas will be reapproved.

Thanks again!

THank you Jingthing...solid advice and things to think about. I am setting up an appointment with a CPA who has a number of expat clients (not necessarily Thailand), and I will include your thoughts in things to think about! You are so right...no desire to fly back here to straighten out money matters!!!

You are all being wonderfully helpful!

Some things to think about regarding your home-country credit cards:

1. Most credit card companies will cancel your card if it is not used for some time (maybe one year ?). Try to ascertain the rules on this, so you can use it enough to ensure that it is not cancelled.

2. Some credit card issuers will not send a new credit card to an address outside of the home country. If this is the case, you will need to provide a US address, where a reliable person will be able to receive your new credit card, at the time your current one will expire. And if you do this, you will need to ensure that the person there promptly advises you of the amount owing each month. You need to think about what will happen when that person is on vacation etc. I don't think that you can provide the credit card company with one address to receive your monthly bill, and another to receive your new credit card.

Of course, be careful how, you phrase your questions to the credit card company - you don't want to say anything which may cause your credit card issuers to cancel your cards, or put a warning mark next to your name,merely because you have made an enquiry.

3. Bring your American cheque book with you, so you can easily pay whatever bills you will still be incurring back home, without having to pay bank charges and exchange charges each time.

4. Do not rely on the internet for paying bills. This is an undeveloped country with shaky technology. And it is full of unethical people, both Thai and foreign. Any assurance that the internet is secure is worth nothing.

Re: Driver's Licence

If you do decide to maintain your US Driver's Licence, is it soon to expire ? If yes, you may want to delay your departure until after you have renewed it. Then you will not be faced with a choice between either letting it lapse, or an expensive flight back there to present your face in the licensing office to be photographed. The licensing office may have a website where you can find out how much flexibility you have in terms of renewing it on the actual date of expiry.

When making telephone enquiries, be aware that the person on the other end may have call display. It can be hard to say you are calling on behalf of someone else, while she is looking at your home phone number on her telephone screen.

Here's my two cents based on 10 years in Asia:

US Address – There are many companies that provide mail forwarding services from a US address (do a Google search). Some provide an address that does not appear to be a postal box which gets past the unwillingness of some credit card companies to send to PO box. Most of these are in states that have no income tax, such as Florida, Texas, and Nevada. They will allow you to review the mail you receive via a web page and request forwarding for mail you want and throw away the junk mail.

Banking – Keep a US bank account and do your banking via the internet. Ignore the post about third world country internet service. I have been internet banking for 10 years all over Asia and have never had a problem, Agree you should keep a check book for your US bank account just in case. A US ATM card is a handy way to get to cash, though not necessarily the most cost efficient. As said, be sure you have set up a wire transfer protocol with your bank. Most US bank branches are unfamiliar with SWIFT transfer so it takes finding the right person to get this set up. My bank has me send a fax which is confirmed with an e-mail from an agreed e-mail address.

Credit Cards – Keep an active US credit that you can access and pay via the internet. Use it when occasionally in Thailand or on the internet, but be careful as credit card fraud is a world wide problem. Only use at reputable businesses, and monitor your account at least every other day to be sure you are not getting hit with charges if someone some how gets your number. Be prepared that the card may be frozen sometimes when you use it overseas, this is for your protection and a simple call will open it up. Can happen with ATM card as well. Depends on how paranoid your bank is.

Drivers License (and state residency) – This is problematic. I have not tried to get a drivers license based on my US address (with a forwarding service). I use a license that has my son’s address in an income tax state. When I renewed the first time several years ago, they claimed back taxes against me saying I was a resident. After about a year my CPA got them to agree I was not a resident and have since renewed again. Will wait till next year to see if they go after taxes again, but I have letter from State Revenue Dept saying I am not a resident.

US Phone Number – Get a VOIP service such as Vonage. Be sure they allow the location of the device to be different then the mailing address as some services get tied up in 911 issues and will discontinue service if the IP address is out of the US. You can pay for this with US credit card over the internet.

Personal Belongings – Do not plan to take much. US electronics do not work in Thailand (220v 50hz) so plan on buying all new. Unless you have a work permit, you will have to pay duty or an agent arranged “service charge” when you bring your belongings in.

Visa – Probably a good idea to have someone help with the paperwork and accompany you to immigration when getting the visa extension. Shouldn’t cost much and will save you a lot of headaches.

Good luck and remember to keep an open mind and not rush to judgements based on your western perceptions.

TH

Edited by thaihome

By the end of this month I will be putting my house in Virginia on the market in preparation for applying for a retirement visa for Thailand. ......

#1. Turn in your Virginia drivers license as soon as you can. That is the only way to break the chain to the Virginia Department of Revenue. They will hunt you down like a wild dog to get their pound of flesh. And will keep at it until you can prove that you are no longer a Virginia resident. Remember you will have to pay the "personal property tax" if you still own your "personal property" on Jan 1. ( and yes, they issue warrants to get it) :o

#2. Establish residency in an income tax free state. :D

Since TV does not like us posting URL's, PM me and I will turn you on to a company in Nevada that will handle your mail AND RESIDENCY requirements.

LSM

It is true that some states are more aggressive than others in trying to keep you a tax resident. LM seems to have info about Virginia specifically. However, my impression in general is that yes it is preferable to have a faux residence in a non-tax state, but failing that if you are able to do a divorce (one way, file one last state tax return that is a PART YEAR return showing you have moved) you might not have any problems unless and until you move BACK to that specific state.

The most important thing you can do is don't calculate your money needs on current exchange rates and don't forget to factor in inflation over your expected life.

When I moved to Thailand the rate was 44 baht to the US dollar but dropped to a low around 30 baht to the dollar. As you can imagine a number of expats were hit hard by this fact.

Lucky for me I did my move planning using a rate of 20 baht to the dollar so my life style has been unaffected thus far.

Edited by ballbreaker

It is true that some states are more aggressive than others in trying to keep you a tax resident. LM seems to have info about Virginia specifically. However, my impression in general is that yes it is preferable to have a faux residence in a non-tax state, but failing that if you are able to do a divorce (one way, file one last state tax return that is a PART YEAR return showing you have moved) you might not have any problems unless and until you move BACK to that specific state.

Jingthing is correct, and one can only expect states to become more aggressive as the federal coffers dry up. Virginia MAY send you a form that states that if you move to a tax free state and return to Virginia you are liable for state income taxes for the entire time you were gone. Their logic is that you moved to avoid taxes and the only way to disprove this is to show taxes paid to another state or jurisdiction. :D

Virginia is this way because of the huge number of federal employees living in Northern Virginia who may eventually serve overseas. They do this via the drivers license, since you must have a VA license to register a car in Virginia. They are the only state that I know of that matches their drivers license list with their state withholding forms on the 31st of December, since SSAN are required for a VA license. :o

A few years ago, while expatting it in another country, I read a long tale of woe by some guy who had moved everything he owned there, only to get repeatedly stabbed in the back at every turn. After about two years of getting fvcked over, he gave up and shipped everything, himself included, back to the U.S.

TRAVEL LIGHT. Putting your belongings in long-term storage is cheap compared to shipping them halfway around the planet. Give it a year or two to get settled in before you fully commit yourself.

This is especially true when, as you note, the visa rules keep changing and you might not be able to stay forever after all.

BTW, I don't know whether Thailand has cheap aspirin/ibuprofin in bulk. Where I was stuck, it was about US$2 for a ten-pack, versus about half that for a bottle of 250 back home. Bring a couple of bottles with you, especially if you use either regularly for blood-thinning (aspirin) or anti-inflammatories (ibuprofin).