Visa Question From Confused Newbie

Hi there,

I am travelling to Thailand in March 2009 and hoping to stay for six months. I am 49 years old now and will turn 50 late july 2009 while I am in Thailand,. My nationality is Australian.

I am unsure what visa to apply for and am wondering can I apply for long term visa once I am 50 during my stay in Thailand. Sorry for the questions but I really am very confused about all of this and would appreciate some help.

Thankyou

Cheers

Mark

Hello there.

There are numerous ways you could do this, but given your timeframe, the general answer is YES!

I suggest starting with a double or triple entry tourist visa and using those, 30 days extensions in Thailand, one day visa runs to get 30 day stamps, you can easily stretch this out until July 09 at which time with 21 days left on whatever visa or stamp you have, you can apply for a conversion to an O visa (in Thailand), and then a one year extension based on retirement. You don't have to return to Australia again unless you want to. You do need to consider how you will qualify for the retirement extension, if using the bank account only, it MUST be in a Thai bank account for three months before the application. Have fun.

It is difficult to give you an exact step by step because you have so many options, and depends on your travel plans once you arrive in Thailand. Your best bet is to educate yourself on the use of tourist visas, 30 day stamps, reentry permits etc and then you can apply your knowledge to your own plans.

BTW, another option IF you can find a friendly consulate there is to go for a multiple entry O visa by telling them exactly what you want to do, eventually convert to retirement. They may so no because you aren't 50 yet. With an O visa you do have to do a visa run every 3 months, but you would then avoid the need to CONVERT to an O in Thailand.

BTW, even if you get unlucky and the ONLY visa you can get is a single entry tourist visa, the answer is still yes. One entry tourist visa can be used for a 60 day stay, one in country extension of 30 days allowed, plus you are allowed 90 days in Thailand using visa run 30 day stamps (quick trips out and in), and/or you can get another tourist visa entry or two in Laos or Penang. Remember, you can convert to an O visa in Thailand even on a 30 day stamp if you have 21 days left on it.

One caveat, where will you be living in Thailand? Some offices won't do the conversion to an O in Thailand, and will send you to Bangkok to do it. Also note you can choose to get an O in Penang if you want also if you can show your retirement qualifications there.

Edited by Jingthing

Extension of stay based on retirement requires 800.000 baht on Thai bank for at least 3 months.

You can also apply with letter from your embassy that you have 65.000/month in income.

No 1 or No2, or a combination of the above.

You can apply for extension of stay based on retirement on Jan 1st the same year you turn 50.

char124.gif

You can apply for extension of stay based on retirement on Jan 1st the same year you turn 50.

Wow! Thats a news flash. I had never heard that one before. If true, thats of great interest to a lot of people.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but could one of the board's visa authorities confirm that.

I truly thought you had to have passed your ACTUAL birth date in the year, and ACTUALLY turn 50 to apply for either an O-A visa or extension based on retirement.

I have read reports in the past of 49 year olds being approved because in Thai culture someone 49 is in their 50th year, but soon after that I read even more reports that was not something you could expect to get away with.

Color me skeptical.

Edited by Jingthing

Hello there.

There are numerous ways you could do this, but given your timeframe, the general answer is YES!

I suggest starting with a double or triple entry tourist visa and using those, 30 days extensions in Thailand, one day visa runs to get 30 day stamps, you can easily stretch this out until July 09 at which time with 21 days left on whatever visa or stamp you have, you can apply for a conversion to an O visa (in Thailand), and then a one year extension based on retirement. You don't have to return to Australia again unless you want to. You do need to consider how you will qualify for the retirement extension, if using the bank account only, it MUST be in a Thai bank account for three months before the application. Have fun.

It is difficult to give you an exact step by step because you have so many options, and depends on your travel plans once you arrive in Thailand. Your best bet is to educate yourself on the use of tourist visas, 30 day stamps, reentry permits etc and then you can apply your knowledge to your own plans.

BTW, another option IF you can find a friendly consulate there is to go for a multiple entry O visa by telling them exactly what you want to do, eventually convert to retirement. They may so no because you aren't 50 yet. With an O visa you do have to do a visa run every 3 months, but you would then avoid the need to CONVERT to an O in Thailand.

BTW, even if you get unlucky and the ONLY visa you can get is a single entry tourist visa, the answer is still yes. One entry tourist visa can be used for a 60 day stay, one in country extension of 30 days allowed, plus you are allowed 90 days in Thailand using visa run 30 day stamps (quick trips out and in), and/or you can get another tourist visa entry or two in Laos or Penang. Remember, you can convert to an O visa in Thailand even on a 30 day stamp if you have 21 days left on it.

One caveat, where will you be living in Thailand? Some offices won't do the conversion to an O in Thailand, and will send you to Bangkok to do it. Also note you can choose to get an O in Penang if you want also if you can show your retirement qualifications there.

What an absolutely brilliant and helpful reply. Thankyou so much. I will be living in Surin for most of the 6 months with an initial stay of one month in Pattaya. From your post it would seem I should open up a bank account straight away and ensure I place required funds for O visa in said account soon after.

I have already made contact with local Thai embassy and need to see them to apply for visa within 3 months of my departure date. So at this time I will ask re Double/triple entry tourist visa and of course the possibility of multiple entry O visa. What an absolute bonus that would be if I could get O visa here instead of applying in Thailand. Knowing my luck that will most likely not happen but I sure will try.

Am I likely to be able to apply for extensions in Surin and if not where is the closest place I would need to go?

Also I am unsure of how to apply for visa using the income option. If you could please explain this it would be most helpful.

Thankyou once again for help and if you could help with other 2 questions that would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

You are welcome.

You should maybe post in the Isaan forum for info on the local office to Surin.

Any office will be able to do a retirement EXTENSION. Reports are not all offices will be able to do a conversion of a tourist or stamp to an O. If your local office cannot, you will have to find another way to get an O, in Oz, in Bangkok, Penang or Vientiane, Laos. If using the income qualification you need a letter from the Oz embassy in Bangkok and you need to find out what documentation they require to give that letter. For Americans, they take our word, but I think most embassies require some proof of the income. The income needs to be 65K baht per month minimum, if short of that, you can compensate using the COMBO method, as long as the total of pension and bank account tops 800K per annum, bank account seasoning for 3 months usually not required if using the combo method. The income letter often needs to be obtained annually from your Bangkok embassy. For the first time, contact your local Thai immigration office to find out how recent the letter needs to be, usually it doesn't have to be spanking new.

You are welcome.

You should maybe post in the Isaan forum for info on the local office to Surin.

Any office will be able to do a retirement EXTENSION. Reports are not all offices will be able to do a conversion of a tourist or stamp to an O. If your local office cannot, you will have to find another way to get an O, in Oz, in Bangkok, Penang or Vientiane, Laos. If using the income qualification you need a letter from the Oz embassy in Bangkok and you need to find out what documentation they require to give that letter. For Americans, they take our word, but I think most embassies require some proof of the income. The income needs to be 65K baht per month minimum, if short of that, you can compensate using the COMBO method, as long as the total of pension and bank account tops 800K per annum, bank account seasoning for 3 months usually not required if using the combo method. The income letter often needs to be obtained annually from your Bangkok embassy. For the first time, contact your local Thai immigration office to find out how recent the letter needs to be, usually it doesn't have to be spanking new.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Mark

Wow! Thats a news flash. I had never heard that one before. If true, thats of great interest to a lot of people.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but could one of the board's visa authorities confirm that.

I truly thought you had to have passed your ACTUAL birth date in the year, and ACTUALLY turn 50 to apply for either an O-A visa or extension based on retirement.

I have read reports in the past of 49 year olds being approved because in Thai culture someone 49 is in their 50th year, but soon after that I read even more reports that was not something you could expect to get away with.

Color me skeptical.

When my friend that has been living in the kingdom 14 years applied for extension of stay based on retirement the officer asked him:

Why didn't you come in January? (born in December)

This was in Koh Samui immigration.

Hope someone else can verify this from other immigrations.

This would be very interesting for many expats.

excited001.gif

Made new thread about this.

edit: more info...

Edited by PoorSucker

"I will be living in Surin for most of the 6 months with an initial stay of one month in Pattaya"

ahhhh, well, you wont be going surin then, either that or you wont be staying in pattaya for a month!!!

good luck, tic waterfall, and dont worry youll be fine.

chris

When my friend that has been living in the kingdom 14 years applied for extension of stay based on retirement the officer asked him:

Why didn't you come in January? (born in December)

This was in Koh Samui immigration.

One officer's interpretation, but NOT a general rule for Farangs as far as I know.

Please post here if you also get this advice from Immigration.

Hi there,

I am travelling to Thailand in March 2009 and hoping to stay for six months. I am 49 years old now and will turn 50 late july 2009 while I am in Thailand,. My nationality is Australian.

I am unsure what visa to apply for and am wondering can I apply for long term visa once I am 50 during my stay in Thailand. Sorry for the questions but I really am very confused about all of this and would appreciate some help.

Thankyou

Cheers

Mark

My dear friend,

the best way to stay in Thailand is:::

Go to:

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Royal Thai Consulate General

Suite 301, 566 St Kilda Road

Melbourne Vic 3004

Tel (03) 9533-9100 Fax (03) 9533-9200

E-mail : [email protected]

Business Hours: Mon, Tue, Wed, and Fri, 10.00 am-2.00 pm.

Extension of stay based on retirement requires 800.000 baht on Thai bank for at least 3 months.

You can also apply with letter from your embassy that you have 65.000/month in income.

char124.gif

I thought I read in the BKK post a while ago that they lowered the requiered monthly income to 40,000 a month, but I wouldn't bet my right hand on that one.

char124.gif

I thought I read in the BKK post a while ago that they lowered the requiered monthly income to 40,000 a month, but I wouldn't bet my right hand on that one.

Good thing you don't bet or you would be typing left handed. 40,000 baht is for "Extensions of Stay" based on marriage. Retirement requirements are as stated.