Kayaking The Canals Of Bangkok

2long

The title says it all, really.

I live near a khlong but wouldn't want to get too serious.

Exploring away from the river itself would be fun and exercise.

Ideally a 2ndhand kayak is what i'm after.

What are the dangers and the differences between saltwater and freshwater kayaks?

What are the dangers and the differences between saltwater and freshwater kayaks?

Sounds like fun!, but besides the kayak you should get one of these

post-70157-1227782510_thumb.jpg

Make sure you put all your earthly affairs in order in case a water taxi runs you over and carry a loaded gun to shoot anything with more than two eyes swimming in the water.

=)

Sounds like fun!, but besides the kayak you should get one of these

post-70157-1227782510_thumb.jpg

Make sure you put all your earthly affairs in order in case a water taxi runs you over and carry a loaded gun to shoot anything with more than two eyes swimming in the water.

=)

:o:D

You must be kidding. There is some nasty dumping going on in those khlongs!

For info on kayaks ... look at rei.com (they do not sell in Thailand but they explain all about kayaks) Ideally if you want to kayak on relatively flat water you want any kayak that does not require a bib. (goes for any kayaking unless you know how to roll)

As I agree with the other posters I cannot believe that you would actually consider getting into one of these canals...... I mean if I were to drop my car keys in one I would probably opt to buy a new car.. :o (Or perhaps persuade a Thai youngster to hop in and retrieve them for 20 baht.) You cannot be serious about hoping in a kayak and touring these nasty water channels within BKK. What do you do in your spare time, see how much exhaust you can suck in from the tuktuks?

Where you would chose the first two I would (and have) the third....

post-46350-1227788239_thumb.jpg

post-46350-1227788251_thumb.jpg

post-46350-1227788390_thumb.jpg

Edited by dingdongrb

There's an outdoor shop on Lad Phrao, going out past the big 'C' towards Bangkapi. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that I saw some kayaks outside there.

As for kayaking up the khlongs, the passenger boats stop at Khlong saen saep close to where I live in Bangkapi and you can get access to the water there. It is called Wat Sibunreuang terminal and the boats moor there at night - next to NIDA. The traffic is almost non-existant on this waterway after this point and I believe that it goes all the way to Cambodia - or at least used to. It certainly goes some distance as far as the eye can see from the 20th floor of my condo. I assume it's less polluted too as there are lots of plants floating about.

A few miles or so past Bangkapi you'll probably be in a more rural area anyway.

It sounds a bold and interseting undertaking. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks guys, esp frogz.

I'm not daft enough to want to do anything in the shitty man-made canals in town. I actually live just into Nonthaburi and there are plenty of places round here that can only be seen from the quiet waterways. There's even an access point about 400 yards from my house.

Most kayaks are for the sea, but I don't know how they'd fare in fresh (ha ha.. canal) water.

I have taken water samples for Fecal coliform and Fecal Strep bacterial analyses in about 40 khlongs throughout Bangkok. They ranged from the most disgusting fetid putrid water (Khlong chan in Bangkapi) to some nice quiet ones off Khlong Phasi Charoen....................EVERY ONE of them came back off scale (which means MPN >100,000 /ml) or in laymens terms more than 100,000 bacterial in a milliliter of water (for you yanks a milliliter of water is about 3 drops). The lab manager accused me of sending raw sewage; boy was she pissed at me (no pun intended).

The water in the khlongs are actually tidal and influenced by the Chao Phrya river so they flow back and forth; even in the quiet waterways. Hope you have your shots

Thanks guys, esp frogz.

I'm not daft enough to want to do anything in the shitty man-made canals in town. I actually live just into Nonthaburi and there are plenty of places round here that can only be seen from the quiet waterways. There's even an access point about 400 yards from my house.

Most kayaks are for the sea, but I don't know how they'd fare in fresh (ha ha.. canal) water.

I also live in Nonthaburi near Bangyai ( surprise ) and can vouch that the klongs are very clean and safe around here. Living here you can see why they used to call it the Venice of the East. A canal runs right through our village and there is a jetty landing available which gets fair usage. In the nearbye canals there are still old ladies paddling around selling Gooay Deeo Rua for 10 Baht. I have often thought along the same lines as 2long but have not got around to doing anything yet. The kayak idea would certainly give you more speed but never seen one for sale. Either a plastic Thai style one or an inflatable with a small engine might be possible. Let us know how you get on and good luck with it

Don't let others put you off, thousands of Thais still lead the old life on the clean canals in the distant suburbs. If you want a quick sampler take an air con bus to Sai Noi ( end of the line ) and visit the " floating market ". The market itself is on the canal bank now but you can hire a paddlo and go up and down the canal a few hundred yards with your girlfriend :o . I was up there today but once again did not take to the water.

Edited by Bangyai

[ Ideally a 2ndhand kayak is what i'm after. ]

Ive seen blue plastic long boats for sale, same material as the ice boxs, look farily cheap in the plastic shops along the main roads aroun Choburi and today at Bangna. the canals 80km to the East are much cleaner and quite senic in the back-blocks,

not a bad idea to spend a bit of time touring about in a boat [tours anyone?] :o

....and you'll end up very ill if you capsize
I recall reading a long detailed report of a lady that suffered very bad dysentery, she said that the only possible route of infection was during a water taxi trip, the wind was blowing hard and she reaclls a slight splash of water on her upper lip, she thinks she reacted before thinking and cleared it with her tongue.

Risks. Firstly any cuts on your hands, then hand to mouth/eye cross contamination.... etc.

If, and it is an IF, I do this, the kayak in question will probably be a Feelfree Nomad (unless I find owt else at a decent price).

I am NOT planning on racing around, capsizing, drinking the water etc. I just want to paddle at slow to medium speeds in Nonthaburi's waterways for fun. I'm guessing that it shouldn't be too difficult to get in and out of the thing without getting (very) wet. The waterways in question have just about zero traffic on them and are home to plenty of fish.

I'd be grateful about which kayaks are good and no good for this kind of thing. Speed is not at all important, just comfortable stability without having a two-oared dinghy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have taken water samples for Fecal coliform and Fecal Strep bacterial analyses in about 40 khlongs throughout Bangkok. They ranged from the most disgusting fetid putrid water (Khlong chan in Bangkapi) to some nice quiet ones off Khlong Phasi Charoen....................EVERY ONE of them came back off scale (which means MPN >100,000 /ml) or in laymens terms more than 100,000 bacterial in a milliliter of water (for you yanks a milliliter of water is about 3 drops). The lab manager accused me of sending raw sewage; boy was she pissed at me (no pun intended).

The water in the khlongs are actually tidal and influenced by the Chao Phrya river so they flow back and forth; even in the quiet waterways. Hope you have your shots

hi candoman89, have u got any idea how clean the bangpakong river is, especially around the bangpakong area, i imagine it wouldnt me too good but just curious. Also do you have any reccommendations for the cleanest/most prestine waters here. i plan on doing some kayaking soon once get my kayak.

thanks mate

I, too, live just out of Nonthaburi-at the Bang Sue end. Hubby and I have just started exploring the canals around here.We just use one of the family's flat bottomed fibreglass boats to paddle around in.As it stays in the water don't even need a launching place just a couple of steps on the canal wall to climb down into the boat. Reminds my husband of when he was young and he and all his family used to swim in the canals we paddle. Obviously alot of posters here on TV don't live in the rural atmosphere we are lucky enough to have nearby.

I, too, live just out of Nonthaburi-at the Bang Sue end. Hubby and I have just started exploring the canals around here.We just use one of the family's flat bottomed fibreglass boats to paddle around in.As it stays in the water don't even need a launching place just a couple of steps on the canal wall to climb down into the boat. Reminds my husband of when he was young and he and all his family used to swim in the canals we paddle. Obviously alot of posters here on TV don't live in the rural atmosphere we are lucky enough to have nearby.

Here where i live (Nonthaburi / Ban yai) i even see them selling canoe's and kajacks. I am sure you can do some boating here with those things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...