Huay Teung Tao Reservoir Lake

Gladiator

Over the last few years I have regularly enjoyed going out to eat at the lake. Unfortunately the restaurant, that I have used, has recently changed hands and the quality of the food and service has deteriorated. Any one have a favourite restaurant there?

Go towards the old Chiangmai-Lamphun golf club... and head towards the national park areas and lakes over there.

Been once to Huay Teung Tao, great if you have toddlers... but other than that, awful place very grotty.

As a daily swimmer for 10 years, and a weekly visitor the last 15 years, I disagree with your assessment of Huay Teung Tao as a grotty place...It is, and has been kept in good shape by the Military for many years, and accurately reflects the people who visit. A lovely place for a good smelling nap in a beautiful area :o

The very best place ive found nearby, is a national park called An Khan or something similar. (I know there is another national park with a similar name)

About 10 mins outside the super highway, absolutely stunning. Nice restaurant, nature trails, secret river side beaches, and shallow pools to bathe in, as well as faster flowing sections...

shhh....

The very best place ive found nearby, is a national park called An Khan or something similar. (I know there is another national park with a similar name)

About 10 mins outside the super highway, absolutely stunning. Nice restaurant, nature trails, secret river side beaches, and shallow pools to bathe in, as well as faster flowing sections...

shhh....

When you say National Park do you mean 400 baht entry for non-residents?

Edited by Sojourner

Nice lake, and again, no shortage of those. But also note there's no place to just sit/hang and have some food or a drink.

Where's the place 10 minutes outside the superhighway?

Here's some pics to show I have no trouble finding scenic lakes, I have trouble finding scenic lakes with some rafts or restaurants on or near them! :o

Maps.google.com shows you the lakes, but it doesn't show which ones have food & drink opportunities.

post-64232-1227753394_thumb.jpg

post-64232-1227753399_thumb.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There are plenty of nice lakes around, for sure. But rarely will you find any restaurants or boats. But everplace I have been to has tons of places to sit/hang around and enjoy food or drink (that you have brought yourself )

I like Huay Thung Tao because it is convenient to my house, but in the San Kampeng area, there are 5 or 6 nice lakes to hang out at :o

I'm afraid the only restaurant outside of the drive-ins before you pay, is in the 'fishing raft' zone on the West side of the lake. Everything else is dead as far as food goes..

Thanks Ajarn,

I wasn't sure if it was just the one restaurant/kitchen in that complex by the swimming raft - or several.

I'm afraid the only restaurant outside of the drive-ins before you pay, is in the 'fishing raft' zone on the West side of the lake. Everything else is dead as far as food goes..

Thanks Ajarn,

I wasn't sure if it was just the one restaurant/kitchen in that complex by the swimming raft - or several.

Just that one that I'm aware of. You might find some sellers across the lake where the Thai tourists have fun. On a weekend or holiday

Yes, shitty photo of a san k lake, but it was a shitty weather day! - fireworks in the background.

so where are these "nice" lakes in san kampheng?... erm... you have to drive around... giving directions to a spot in the middle of a forest would be pretty difficult.

The place by the super highway..

Its about 30km South of Chiang Mai, and takes about 15 mins to reach by (big) motorbike. Not shown in the photos are pools/stretches where you can swim. Huay Teung Tao is OK, just commercialized, thats all. Family friendly, but... YAWWWNNN. Somewhere i have a photo of me skinny dipping here :o

Ob Khan

ob-khan-national-park_1.jpg

obkhan2.jpg

You may take the routes around the area of the National Park, which are used as borderlines of the National Park, including Highway No. 1269 (Hangdong-Samoeng), Ror.Por.Chor. Road No. 12066 (Samoeng-Borkaew), Ror.Por.Chor. Road No. 12040 (Borkaew-Maehey), Ror.Por.Chor. Road No. 12039 (Maehe-Sobwin), Highway No. 1103 (Sobwin-Sanpatong).

Edited by SomNamNah

Yes, shitty photo of a san k lake, but it was a shitty weather day! - fireworks in the background.

so where are these "nice" lakes in san kampheng?... erm... you have to drive around... giving directions to a spot in the middle of a forest would be pretty difficult.

The place by the super highway..

Its about 30km South of Chiang Mai, and takes about 15 mins to reach by (big) motorbike. Not shown in the photos are pools/stretches where you can swim. Huay Teung Tao is OK, just commercialized, thats all. Family friendly, but... YAWWWNNN. Somewhere i have a photo of me skinny dipping here :o

Ob Khan

ob-khan-national-park_1.jpg

obkhan2.jpg

You may take the routes around the area of the National Park, which are used as borderlines of the National Park, including Highway No. 1269 (Hangdong-Samoeng), Ror.Por.Chor. Road No. 12066 (Samoeng-Borkaew), Ror.Por.Chor. Road No. 12040 (Borkaew-Maehey), Ror.Por.Chor. Road No. 12039 (Maehe-Sobwin), Highway No. 1103 (Sobwin-Sanpatong).

So basically it's no where near the super highway!

erm... not being directionally gifted... its 10 mins from the super. I think the route above goes around it, (hence 'borderlines').

On secnd thoughts, Ob Khan is rubbish, dont go there.. ooo very far, very Mai Soay.. stick to what you know.. :o

Last time i went there, there was a minibus full of students who decided to go swimming in their university blouses. Truly distasteful. I was shocked.

Edited by SomNamNah

Great to find out places to go to other than Huay Teung Tao.

Do really like Huay Teung Tao though. Convenient for a short visit. I actually think its a nice place to take a picnic along to. Just lay out a mat near the water and set it up. That way you can eat what you want to. At dusk its beautiful if you take along a lantern. Daytime you can lie down and get one of the ladies to come over to massage you. Last time i went along my bf, his kids and I played a board game on a quiet grassy area near the water, during which he had a massage. Kept thinking to myself where else in the world could you do something like that!

Ob Khan's alright but can get pretty crowded when hot and the little restaurant has pretty rough grub - go straight on at the Canal Road/Samoeng Road junction (south of town) and head along that single-lane road (canal on the right) for about 5kms. The sign for the gorge is on the right... no entrance fee but need to sign in at the gate after something like another 5kms. Can get there by bike (big or small, plastic pig or scrambler), mountain bike or car. Huay Tung Tao's also alright, especially if you have visitors, but food very up n down... normally go to the place past that noisy central bit with all the pedalos. Food is crap now though. There is a really nice spot about 60kms north of town but can't say too much :o

erm... not being directionally gifted... its 10 mins from the super. I think the route above goes around it, (hence 'borderlines').

On secnd thoughts, Ob Khan is rubbish, dont go there.. ooo very far, very Mai Soay.. stick to what you know.. :o

Last time i went there, there was a minibus full of students who decided to go swimming in their university blouses. Truly distasteful. I was shocked.

You must have a very fast bike :D I reckon it's near on an hour from the super - Anyway! It's a good spot..

• 2 weeks later...
so where are these "nice" lakes in san kampheng?

Here is a map. Enjoy yourself :o

Here are some directons to Huai Lan resevoir in San Kampeng. First take the 1317 hiway out towards the hot springs. Then at the edge of town about 15 kilos out on the hiway, hiwayright.jpgturn right onto 1137 to Ban Thi. follow this road for 4 kilometers until you get to here,lakeright.jpg where you turn right onto a cobblestone street. lakerighthere.jpgFollow the street out for about 3-4 kilos before you get to the lake. It is a good swimming lake, good for fishing too lakefront.jpg

Over the last few years I have regularly enjoyed going out to eat at the lake. Unfortunately the restaurant, that I have used, has recently changed hands and the quality of the food and service has deteriorated. Any one have a favourite restaurant there?

Hi

My tiny family and i love this lake. No idea what has generated the crude criticisms. However, we have never found really good food around the lake, and the small places on the left just before the pay booth are (apart from the mass breeding mozzies) most unfriendly.

Now we take a picnic for lunch, the kids love paddling, then going back down the hill we stop for a main Thai meal at Rabiang Fan, the ONLY restaurant on the left just before Irrigation Canal Rd. Great food, low prices, friendly people. Shame about the toilets!

Hi

My tiny family and i love this lake. No idea what has generated the crude criticisms. However, we have never found really good food around the lake, and the small places on the left just before the pay booth are (apart from the mass breeding mozzies) most unfriendly.

Now we take a picnic for lunch, the kids love paddling, then going back down the hill we stop for a main Thai meal at Rabiang Fan, the ONLY restaurant on the left just before Irrigation Canal Rd. Great food, low prices, friendly people. Shame about the toilets!

Yes! Same for me. I had been visiting there since the day when the entry charge is just 10 baht per person! That is about 8-9yrs ago!

According to my friend that has relatives setting shop there, each small resturant tender each year to operate a resturant there.

So, you may find that the food at certain resturant do not taste the same after one year!

I had been moving around few resturants during the past few years.

The resturant I choose to have a panic with my friends need to be quiet and lesser crowd. Of course I like to have good food too...but not usually the case. So, it really depends on our 'Luck' if we choose a resturant and the food turned out to be not as tasty as expected!

My 'favorite' resturant is ( very difficult to describe) still the one nearer to the changing rooms/toilets. There is this big bamboo tree growing in the center of the sitting area. The food quality is not consistant.

I do not like those on the left hand side of the Lake when we drove in towards the T junction. This is nearer to the Big Buddha and also Kuan Yin statues side.

Those resturants there charge you 10 baht extra for each person if we choose to sit on those raft-like kind and floating sitting area.

Hi

Thanks Flatout,

I share your thoughts about the lake and am surprised at some of the comments.

As a by-the-way, I went back to the lake last weekend and returned to the restaurant by the swimming area. Not quite sure what is happening but the previous owners are back and the food was quite good

Hi

Thanks Flatout,

I share your thoughts about the lake and am surprised at some of the comments.

As a by-the-way, I went back to the lake last weekend and returned to the restaurant by the swimming area. Not quite sure what is happening but the previous owners are back and the food was quite good

Yes, I think the lake has some different users that are unable to enjoy anything there. But, that also leaves the area free of them and their noise, leaving the relaxing to us :o

thanks for the directions....i will be looking for a place to relax some and do some fishing when i retire next year . i will be living in sanpatong

so where are these "nice" lakes in san kampheng?

Here is a map. Enjoy yourself :o

Here are some directons to Huai Lan resevoir in San Kampeng. First take the 1317 hiway out towards the hot springs. Then at the edge of town about 15 kilos out on the hiway, hiwayright.jpgturn right onto 1137 to Ban Thi. follow this road for 4 kilometers until you get to here,lakeright.jpg where you turn right onto a cobblestone street. lakerighthere.jpgFollow the street out for about 3-4 kilos before you get to the lake. It is a good swimming lake, good for fishing too lakefront.jpg

I always enjoyed my visits to Huay Teung Tao when I lived in Chiang Mai, can't really get my head around some of the negative responses.

The coolest place I went to and stayed over night at though was the Mae Ngat reservoir at the Sri Lanna national park. I think it was about an hour or so north of Chiang Mai.

http://www.thainewsland.com/?l=en&a=283321

post-61198-1229015575_thumb.jpg

Edited by thecatman