Is The End Game Fast Approaching?

ThaiPauly

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually my country sends military planes to evacuate French and European Union residents. For free. :o

[/quote

a free trip to the UK. great i have not been there for 30 years. i hope it is a return flight?. i do not think it will get anywhere like that.

If you ARE a retired expat living on (modest) foreign funds, then if anything this is a good thing. Throws Thailand back years, prolonging 'cheap third world banana' status.

(I'm not in that category, I actually need Thailand to develop and prosper which by the way is also something I want Thai people to enjoy, however I wanted to point this out.)

It's rather funny (if it wasn't so sad) that a couple months ago on this very forum you often had topics going "Thailand is getting expensive, there's more and more rules, the bars are closing at midnight, screw this, I'm leaving." So... I fear in the end it remains a personal choice of where you want to live, i.e. where you feel the most happy with your quality of life vs expenses.

I think you've hit on a core truth here, Winnie.

Well....things are not looking as rosy through the glasses we were wearing when we first moved to CM. :D

Weather we like it or not we are trapped in a UDD stronghold...death on the streets...and things can only get worse ...no sign of things improving.

So what will you guys do if it all goes tits up here and we find ourselves in the middle of a civil war?

Do you have an exit stratagy?

Ermmmmm.............. trapped how exactly? :o

As others have said, jai yen, jai yen........ this too will pass.

91 benzene yesterday, 19 baht per liter. Pensions giving me 5.8% COLA raise next month. Building a little house in the suburbs. Already lived in a banana republic, Nicaragua. And the poorest state in Mexico, Chiapas. I have begun ignoring Plan B, even though the dollar is at an all time high against the Mexican peso.

Time to go eat beef in the beef capital of SouthEastAsia...

Usually my country sends military planes to evacuate French and European Union residents. For free. :D

Usually my country sends in military planes to bomb the chit out of anything that moves, and rarely thinks about any collateral damage.... :o

I guess a free ride for me to h3ll...... :D

I was in Bangkok in 92 during the May unrest when thousands were killed. This ain't nothing! :D

That's nothing. I was in Rotterdam in 1974 when Spurs and Feynoord fans rioted. They closed all the city centre bars then - that really was serious.

I was at Riverfront Coliseum in 1979 when 11 people had died just trying to get in to see a Who concert.... :o

I share the frustration of many TV members as we watch the Thai political situation lurch from surreal to uber-stupid. And now it comes to us here in Chiang Mai. If someone was to hire a mercenary force to come in to Thailand to wreak havoc on this country, they couldn't do a better job than (some of) the Thais are doing themselves right now. And of course part of the frustration comes from the fact that we as farang can do nothing but watch and wait.

So on that sombre note, how about some music?

Well....things are not looking as rosy through the glasses we were wearing when we first moved to CM. :o

Weather we like it or not we are trapped in a UDD stronghold...death on the streets...and things can only get worse ...no sign of things improving.

So what will you guys do if it all goes tits up here and we find ourselves in the middle of a civil war?

Bloody hel_l TP, I didn't have you down as a sensationalist.

JxP

I am not a sensasionalist at all.

All I was asking was if anybody had made contigency plans "In Case" things worsen.

Anybody that knows me knows that am not the sort of person who would just cut and run.

But most of us have loved ones that we care for that we would not want to see harmed or get caught up in violence.

Yes, its unlikely to get to the civil war stage, but can anyone say with absolute certainty that it won't? :D

Whats wrong with having a "Plan B" ?

It seems that quite a few posters have one

I now understand where you are coming from, I think it was the "death on the streets . . . run for the hills" tone that I read into your post that dictated my choice of words, maybe "sensationalist" was a little harsh.

As a relative newbie (or lightweight to use Blinky's parlance) who arrived at the turn of this century and not the turn of the last one I'd be inclined to pay attention to the voices of experience presented by the likes of SabaiJai and BB. I have loved ones, a family, I think of ourselves as settled in the kingdom and so I'm not sure that an exit strategy is required rather an adjustment to the mindset.

Many of us have chosen to make Thailand our home and I think it's not a question of "where next?" more of a "what next?".

Seriously though TP, this is the very last time that I go away and leave you in charge.

Keep us updated on current events.

JxP

Next couple of days should be interesting. As my husband says: time to stock up on Mama noodles .

Maybe it will be similar to the last coup when the guy at the public loos at Chang Puak bus station tried to charge all the soldiers 1bt each to use the loo. That was until their sergeant major went in and asked if if he was sure if he really wanted to collect a fee. :o

guy at the public loos at Chang Puak bus station tried to charge all the soldiers 1bt each to use the loo. That was until their sergeant major went in and asked if if he was sure if he really wanted to collect a fee

HAHA classic!!

Well, what with the financial tsunami heading here, the high season scuppered, and the coming 'power vacuum' ... Im increasingly drawn towards Malaysia. It was fun while it lasted. Apparently Malaysia has FANTASTIC visas.

Having said that, Maybe just a relocation up north to Phayao/Chiang Rai would be a safe distance from the coming struggles, especially if the seat of power moves up here bit by bit.

Edited by SomNamNah

Should there be an exodus of terrified farangs from Chiang Mai I can offer small rooms in a very quiet and isolated village a safe 180kms from the city.

Rates will be directly proportional to the amount of terror exhibited by the refugees and families will have to share.

Should there be an exodus of terrified farangs from Chiang Mai I'll be happy to buy someone's deeply discounted condo. I'm worried about the situation in Thailand, but I don't expect the country to blow up.

Edited by heybruce

guy at the public loos at Chang Puak bus station tried to charge all the soldiers 1bt each to use the loo. That was until their sergeant major went in and asked if if he was sure if he really wanted to collect a fee

HAHA classic!!

Well, what with the financial tsunami heading here, the high season scuppered, and the coming 'power vacuum' ... Im increasingly drawn towards Malaysia. It was fun while it lasted. Apparently Malaysia has FANTASTIC visas.

Having said that, Maybe just a relocation up north to Phayao/Chiang Rai would be a safe distance from the coming struggles, especially if the seat of power moves up here bit by bit.

Malaysia is good if you buy property under the "Second Home" program but tighter than Thailand for tourist visa's etc.

I don't think Thailand is headed for any real strife because there just aren't any deep divisions like sunni and shiite's. In Thailand its like 95% buddhist and no real deep opposition and discontent. Sure the Thai's will figure out a way to scare away tourists and investors but in the end Thai's are too lazy and devoted to the Monarchy to tear the country apart.

Still lots of good deals to be had in the next few years due to a whopper a recession coming.

I would agree with Blinky Bill as he says in posts No16

‘………but in my opinion there are too many softcock new-era low budget retirees/expats in Thailand these days ready to run at the slightest sign of civil disturbance. ‘

and as UG says in post No 18

‘I was in Bangkok in 92 during the May unrest when thousands were killed. This ain't nothing! ‘

I was there also and it was very violent with many killed.

g

Should there be an exodus of terrified farangs from Chiang Mai I can offer small rooms in a very quiet and isolated village a safe 180kms from the city.

Rates will be directly proportional to the amount of terror exhibited by the refugees and families will have to share.

Should there be an exodus of terrified farangs from Chiang Mai I'll be happy to buy someone's deeply discounted condo. I'm worried about the situation in Thailand, but I don't expect the country to blow up.

I'm willing to snap up any bargains that you miss :o

‘………but in my opinion there are too many softcock new-era low budget retirees/expats in Thailand these days ready to run at the slightest sign of civil disturbance. ‘

Its not myself i am worried about, its the extended friends and family. Without the wherewithal to help them all im tempted to leave em to it, im no use to them if im unhappy in CM. Mmmm Phayao is calling me.... its gonna break my heart when the jobs run out, although i do employ three of the family full time... and i will be leaving my modest investments behind. Its only money. softcock? nah, i grew up till 11 years old in a shared house with up to 7 lodgers. Thais have it better than a lot of farang! - The thai extended family network is marvelous. I hope they dont learn too much from farang here.

slightest sign of civil disturbance
Londonners have had 25 years non-stop now of bomb threats. We have learnt that there really aint nowhere to run to... just got to hope your lucky tattoos can stop shrapnel! Edited by SomNamNah

Looking down the Topics in this forum I don't see a great deal of concern about this matter.

How about carrying on as normal, if you see something dodgy, try, head down, mouth shut, timely retreat.

Actually, among 60,000,000 I don't think they will even notice us

I applied for more than 10 jobs in the USA which I am over qualified for but quite content with the pay, I also got my baby her American passport and my wife her visa so... we will simply lock up the house ship out the valuables and leave until things cool off or get back to business as usual.

Well....things are not looking as rosy through the glasses we were wearing when we first moved to CM. :o

"Civil War" I don't think that it's gonna come quite to that TP (but I have been wrong before, "not often mind you, and not for a while now")

I suggest that you sit tight.

Look on the bright side. You can tell the grand children (if you survive) what it was like to be in the middle of it all as it unfolded.

Exit strategy? I don't need no stinking exit strategy!

Seriously tho, since the very first terrifying day of the PAD demonstrations in BKK, da wife and I have made sure we have enough petrol in the car to get us to the nearest border crossing into Myanmar should we feel the need for safety and security. :o

Seriously tho, since the very first terrifying day of the PAD demonstrations in BKK, da wife and I have made sure we have enough petrol in the car to get us to the nearest border crossing into Myanmar should we feel the need for safety and security. :o

Safety and security? In Burma? PLEASE! Choose Luang Prabang or Kunming or as far east as Bridlington, but not THAT that particular cesspool of ineptly run tragedy and horror!

No! (PM me, we've met!).

Safety and security? In Burma? PLEASE! Choose Luang Prabang or Kunming or as far east as Bridlington, but not THAT that particular cesspool of ineptly run tragedy and horror!

No! (PM me, we've met!).

Pssst . . . Flatout, I think Dustoff may be one of the few around here with a sense of humour still intact . . . .

JxP

No! (PM me, we've met!).

Pssst . . . Flatout, I think Dustoff may be one of the few around here with a sense of humour still intact . . . .

JxP

''

Yep!!