Thai He Said Authorities Might Consider Using The U Ta Pao Air Force Base

Basil B

Saw some big planes flying over my place yesterday evening. They must have been on their way to U Ta Pao.

Just wonder how safe this whole mess is for air traffick. Is it fair to say that all this planes circling around low on fuel with an “occupied” control tower and frantically rerouting pilots is not the safest environment to operate in?

Any professional comments on this are most welcome.

Just read this:

AP News

Can U-Tapio handle more than 3 or 4 commercial flights a day?

Just how long before PAD shut down U-Tapio?

BB

U Tapao

Terminal Capacity 150 Arrival and 150 Departure passengers

Hour of Operation H24

Parking Bay 23 Boeing 747s

More here

Been there several times.

1 boeing 747 definitely fills the place to capacity, enough so to keep the AC's from keeping up!

As well they don't have the ground handling crews to more then 1 plane at a time...

U-Tapao airfield on the Gulf of Siam was (and probably still is) the largest airfield in Southeast Asia, 11,500 feet long

There is a massive Thai Airways rework facility there that is capable of servicing and "turning around" aircraft that land there.

True, one of the longest runways along with other runways built by the US army (Udon Thani etc).

The main maintenance centers for Thai is at U-tapao.

However the passenger terminal along with airplane handling associated with passenger travel is not very big. If I remember correctlt there are only 3 immigration boots and 1 luggage carrousel...

UTP is being used already by some airlines normally using BKK.

Says who?

I live next to the flight path and beg to differ. Yesterday I saw one jumbo on finals, that was all and nothing today.

Says who?

I live next to the flight path and beg to differ. Yesterday I saw one jumbo on finals, that was all and nothing today.

Bangkok Air has been running scheduled flights in and out of Utapao for quite some time

PATTAYA (U-TAPAO) – SAMUI Flight Departure Arrival Days PG 282 12:10 13:10 .2.4.6. PG 286 14:40 15:40 1.3.5.7 PG 284 16:10 17:10 1.3.5.7

SAMUI – PATTAYA (U-TAPAO) Flight Departure Arrival Days PG 252 10:40 11:40 Daily PG 285 13:10 14:10 1.3.5.7

there are planes coming all the time ,to utapao,from where, not sure but my mrs has been working her but off in our taxis got home 10pm last night went back at 5am dismorning,some airlines using buses to take people to bkk,she said they are coming every hour

tg795 with a customer of ours from LAX arrived 6.30am yesterday and they have been busy ever since,at first not enough taxis,,, now bkk taxis have come [too many] the russians r still coming to utapoa,

cat

Edited by catwho

Just got a call from German friends.

They had been brought from Bangkok to Utapao this morning at 6am.

Their LTU flight to Duesseldorf is scheduled to take-off at 12 noon.

The aircraft is already parked on the tarmac.

Brought from Phuket last night where is was stranded for the last 2 days.

They said there are also 3 more aircrafts and loads of Russians waiting to board their flights.

Could currents events result in the quick development of Utapau as a viable, and hopefully defendable, international airport to the long term benefit of National security and the area's economy?

Surely the runway/tower control has had a much higher capacity during it's "heydays".

What would it take to rush in a load of pre-fabs for the civil authorities and passengers and a load of concrete and cattle grids to keep the rabble out?

I was in Philippines last month. No way do you approach the terminal without a ticket or pass there.

Could currents events result in the quick development of Utapau as a viable, and hopefully defendable, international airport to the long term benefit of National security and the area's economy?

Surely the runway/tower control has had a much higher capacity during it's "heydays".

What would it take to rush in a load of pre-fabs for the civil authorities and passengers and a load of concrete and cattle grids to keep the rabble out?

I was in Philippines last month. No way do you approach the terminal without a ticket or pass there.

A good idea. I have wondered for some time why this airport is not used more. The entrance is controlled by the Military anyway so when I have flown from there, I have to give my driving license as security and they give me a big metal number that I have to return when I arrive back. Parking was about 50 Baht a day when I last used the Bangkok Airways flight to Samui earlier this year.

A good idea. I have wondered for some time why this airport is not used more. The entrance is controlled by the Military anyway so when I have flown from there, I have to give my driving license as security and they give me a big metal number that I have to return when I arrive back. Parking was about 50 Baht a day when I last used the Bangkok Airways flight to Samui earlier this year.

I have never been to Utapao airfield but considering it was a B-52 airbase during time of war, you would think the runways/tarmac/flightline could handle a few 747's. The problem would be the age of the runways, tarmac, etc....how well was it maintained over the last forty years?

I was thinking about coming to Thailand (very soon) for an extended period of time for surgery. I wonder what flights (if any) can be booked into BKK which actually land at Utapao.

We are supposed to have arrived in Pattaya last Thursday & I am supposed to be admitted to BPH Pattaya Monday 10am & then spend a vacation / home hunting stay 'til mid January.......Right now we are still in Perth listening & reading all the rumours......BUT.... according to a contact or two we have in the Travel Industry & Thai Airways , the idea was mooted ,but, only being discussed , no-one seems to want to commit.

It would appear that the same can be said of everyone of the decision makers in BKK , no one wants to commit to any decisive action........................

B....y Frustrating to say the least

:o

I have never been to Utapao airfield but considering it was a B-52 airbase during time of war, you would think the runways/tarmac/flightline could handle a few 747's. The problem would be the age of the runways, tarmac, etc....how well was it maintained over the last forty years?

I was thinking about coming to Thailand (very soon) for an extended period of time for surgery. I wonder what flights (if any) can be booked into BKK which actually land at Utapao.

Airfield - ha ha, it has one of the longest runways in the world, and it handles 747's on a daily basis, Thai airways use it as a base for the maintenainence of their fleet!

Because of the sh++e happening at Swampy, U Tapauo is now getting "media coverage", however it was decided a few weeks back to actually use it more for international flights, a move long over due IMHO, ironic eh? but good publicity none the less!!

As for booking, you need to contact your agent, a lot of flights have been diverted to UT, but as for actually booking flights to there - not sure??

Edited by LennyW

If you are coming here primarily for that purpose, why not consider

India or Sri Lanka where a like Thai doctors, they have many doctors

in those two countries educated in U.S. the UK?

I live in Huay Yai near the Phoenix golf course and this morning heard and then saw a low flying passenger plane slowly moving through the sky above my house. It was headed north. This is unusual...I sometimes hear and see military planes but usually not this. Could it have come from or be going to Utapao?

Thanks for your mail Lenny can't seem to be able to get a PM back to you..

Ok , here we go , it is necessary to be at BPH as the surgery is a continuance of a previous proceedure.

Secondly we have been approved for our Retirement visa to Thailand , we want to retire to Pattaya NOt Sri Lanka. We have taken out a 60day visa in the meantime for this Vacation/Scouting trip.

Currently , we are attempting to travel via Singapore with another Airline , several Airlines are now taking bookings to BKK via Singapore & being diverted to UTP, the last time I saw that runway was 1968 , hope it is better maintained (Joking folks don't go troppo now)

Just hope we don't get stuck in Singapore with another hiccup

Fingers Crossed

If you are coming here primarily for that purpose, why not consider

India or Sri Lanka where a like Thai doctors, they have many doctors

in those two countries educated in U.S. the UK?

Where in India would you suggest ...Mumbai ??? ......Vests & Helmets supplied ??? I would rather skirt around PAD demonstrators than be shot or bonbed to death in Mumbai by Islamics or the new Tamil attacks in Sri Lanka you could need a H..l of a lot of surgery then. Bullet holes & schrapnel wounds are s..t to repair ....................just a thought...

UTP now has commercial flights coming and going most of the day since yesterday now.

As the wind is from the North they will be approaching over the sea and taking off over land with a left turn somewhere over the Phoenix Golf Course.

I was diverted to UTP on Wednesday on Eva Air from Heathrow it took 30 minutes to get off the plane (747) because the steeps were being used on another plane at the time, going through immigration was quick no camera was used had to wait for 3 hours to get luggage we were third in line after an Israel and an Austrian flight in the end they unloaded our luggage outside beside the terminal in the dark which was a bit chaotic but at least I got here Eva Air are now flying into UTP using the same schedule as before the closure at BKK

We are finally getting in to-morrow night via Singapore to UTP , believe that Thai are running 30 flights in & out as of to-day & JetStar (Qantas ) from OZ are doing a few.

They are booking everyone to BKK & 'diverting' to UTP.

Finally...........................hope we don't get stuck in Singapore , but, it seems to be working so far.

Says who?

Getting a tad noisier now Rimmer?

The TPV have been enlisted to help at U-tapao, explaining the situation to overwrought and vexed farangs.

I drove by Utapao entry yesterday and the stream of cars, buses and taxis was pretty steady in and out for the minut or so I saw it. Also when I passed the north end of the field on Suk I could see at least 15 to 20 commercial airliners parked there where I normally would not see anything. Also saw at least 4 take-offs and landings in a span of 30 minutes.

I live in the area of Phala beach, east side of the base/field and the increase in air traffic is noticeable

I live in Huay Yai near the Phoenix golf course and this morning heard and then saw a low flying passenger plane slowly moving through the sky above my house. It was headed north. This is unusual...I sometimes hear and see military planes but usually not this. Could it have come from or be going to Utapao?

saw some Hot air balloons heading your way the other evening - now there's a good idea if the wind keeps going South! :o