Army Chief Urged To Stage Coup

george

Would you support a coup?  

949 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GROWING UNEASE - The Nation

Capital increasingly tense as coup rumours spread

Published on November 28, 2008;Fri, November 28, 2008 : Last updated 0:52 hours

Anupong said to have exchanged phone ultimatums with Somchai

The situation in the capital was extremely tense yesterday as coup rumours prompted reaction from anti-government protesters and their rivals. Both camps mobilised their supporters for street fighting, while government and business offices suggested their staff get out early.

Newspaper offices were flooded with phone calls inquiring or giving "tips" about an imminent coup. A source claimed Army chief Anupong Paochinda had a telephone conversation with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to exchange ultimatums.

A blink could result in the prime minister's stepping down or the removal of the Army commander.

Anupong, (Paochinda, LP) who was publicly silent, reportedly cancelled a meeting of the military-run TV Channel 5 board of directors and met Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda.

post-13995-1227813220_thumb.jpg 6 months ago: Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra -R- gives a traditional greeting to Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda (L) their first meeting since the September 19, 2006 coup, during the funeral of -in WHITE uniform- Army chief Anupong Paochinda's mother at the temple in Bangkok late May 29, 2008. The 58-year-old former Thai premier returned to Bangkok in late February after his allies swept back into power in elections late last year. Photo: AFP/Getty

The coup rumour sounded true, as armoured vehicles and tanks were seen in many locations, including the Chang Building and the NBT and Modernine television stations.

However, television stations ran texts stating that the Army had announced it would mobilise its personnel and vehicles in Bangkok as part of a study course for military students.

Army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the military would not undertake a coup since it would not end the political conflict. Some anti-coup groups might come out to resist and that could result in bloodshed, he said.

The spokesman said in a press conference that the Army chief, as deputy director of the Interior Security Operations Command (Isoc), had told provincial Isoc agencies to keep a close eye on any violence.

Amid the rumours of the coup and the exchange of ultimatums, the Cabinet, meeting in Chiang Mai, rushed to clarify its position that it would not consider purging the military top brass.

Government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua, speaking at an unexpected press conference, pleaded with soldiers to remain in their barracks. The announcement inevitably added weight to the coup rumours.

Natthawut said he had come out of the Cabinet meeting to make the announcement because there was "high speculation" about a coup.

The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy, meanwhile, was cautious, suggesting the coup rumours could be a decoy designed to distract the protesters at Suvarnabhumi Airport before an operation to disperse the crowd.

People Power Party MP Suthin Klangsang told a press conference that citizens would be asked to obstruct any coup attempt, such as using their vehicles to block tanks taking part in a putsch.

There were also grave concerns that a coup attempt could spark nationwide violence involving pro- and anti-Thaksin Shinawatra mobs, as well as the military.

Suriyasai Katasila, a PAD leader, said: "A coup is the least of my concerns now. I'm worried about violence, because nobody seems to be in full control at the moment."

Some company and government office workers were told to leave home early, adding to the widespread anxiety.

Workers at ad agency Ogilvy & Mather were instructed to clear the office by 4pm. DTAC's head office issued a statement saying it was closing until the situation returned to normal.

- The Nation

LaoPo

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And on a post earlier - court is considering the appeal regarding illegal siege of Suvarnabhumi airport and whether this now means that police is not allowed to kick them out - I believe in State of emergency all people's rights are terminated, hence police has every right to storm the airport.
except that its been said violence isnt an acceptable way of solving this, it would be a blatent insult to do so, one that Somchai has already made and should have resigned over, or still could

True, however government resigning over less of 0.1% of electorate threatning and shutting down international gateways which should be protected by the army in the first place gives a very dangerous path for the future.

Government should absolutely not resign over this. Or siege of airports, shopping malls, railways stations and bus terminals will become a weekly event, as will new governments.

It is true they should have resigned earlier, before the siege. But now would be a really bad moment.

probably right, but your figure of 0.1% Im not so sure about, that might be the amount protesting but support may go beyond that I suspect, not from rural areas obviously

Pathompong urges Army chief to stage coup

BANGKOK: -- Gen Pathompong Kesornsuk, former chief advisor of the Supreme Command, urged Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda to stage coup to prevent himself from being sacked by the government.

Speaking to protesters at the Government House, Pathompong said the Army chief should not allow Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to purge him.

Coup rumours were widely spread Thursday with a lot of phone calls being made to several newspapers' editorial offices to check whether coup was being staged.

The rumours came a day after Anupong called on Somchai to dissolve the House Wednesday afternoon. But Somchai went on TV late Wednesday to announce that his government would not either resign or dissolve the House.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Note: Please vote in our poll above. You need to be logged in in order to vote!

Up until now, I have been somewhat sympathic to the cause of the PAD. Thaksin and the PPP's claim to power have been the result of what has effectively been vote buying in the rural, poor and uneducated north and east regions of Thailand. But, the PAD now has clearly demonstrated it has not thought their actions through. The long term economic effects of their recent actions may very well prove to be devastating to the Thai economy, and well beyond just the tourism sector, for years to come, if not permanently.

Thailand, via Suvarnabhumi, serves as a critical "Just In Time" (JIT) parts supplier of disk drives, chips and other components used by Japanese and Chinese manufacturers. There is only about a 4-5 day inventory of parts on hand at most factories. Suvarnabhumi was viewed as a reliable and critical hub to ensure the JIT concept worked. That is now out the window in all likelihood. So, in addition to the tourism sector being slammed, look for other sectors like electronics, agriculture (which also relies heavily on S'bhumi) and a host of other enterprises that need a free-flowing cargo hub to operate and thrive.

PAD is showing their true colors; a bunch of self-centered, narrow minded and unintelligent hooligans, They should be kicked to the curb.

All of you who are in favor of a coup should be ashamed. You are probably from democratic countries. This is a democratically elected government. I do not like Taksin and the fact that his brother-in-law is the present leader but hw was DEMOCRATICALLY placed in office.

I am sick of PAD. The army should assist Somchai in controlling them.

Agree.....bunch of unelected Boy Scouts beholding to a yellow dose of Anarkiss-Kiss my Ar....with big pay masters ....namely........ :D:D:D:wai: and :D

oops ...mai phut again..tit-s....the world is laughing at them......loss of face me ar.......its just so so sad.... :o

All of you who are in favor of a coup should be ashamed. You are probably from democratic countries. This is a democratically elected government. I do not like Taksin and the fact that his brother-in-law is the present leader but hw was DEMOCRATICALLY placed in office.

Agree.....bunch of unelected Boy Scouts beholding to a yellow dose of Anarkiss-Kiss my Ar....with big pay masters ....namely........ :D:D:D:wai: and :D

oops ...mai phut again..tit-s....the world is laughing at them......loss of face me ar.......its just so so sad.... :o

Yes, all this wasted bandwidth pondering the imponderables. It's not about people being elected or unelected, it's all about delaying the inevitable creation of the Republic of Thailand. It's all about Thailand growing up and facing up to reality and governing themselves democratically without the perpetual wrist slap administered by whoever is flavour of the month in the army.

A coup is just another wrist slap with all the sycophantic pardons and newly forged political and business alliances that inevitably ensue... until the next coup.

Thailand needs some blood earnestly spilled for the greater good of the nation. The nonsense of 'Thai style democracy' needs to be buried along with the old guard that defends it while lining their pockets. Thailand puts great emphasis on never being colonised and looks down it's short nose at their neighbours who have. Thailand also puts great emphasis on it's 'famous' army victories of ancient history although nobody living has any experience of losing loved ones in the true defence of their soil due to an endless litany of 'non-aggression pacts'. It's time for all those calling for the army to step in once again and sort out this particular schoolyard fight to face the reality that the rampant corruption can only really be addressed after the fuedal patronage system that prevails is dead and buried with the old guard.

A coup is just another band-aid on a festering wound that is not getting any better. It doesn't matter if it's a yellow shirt or a red shirt that you chose to wear, the end result will be devastatingly painful. But afterwards, you will appreciate the true value of your life and those of your near neighbours who rose up to shake off much heavier shackles than the Thai's have ever endured.

Can not beleive half of you are for a military dictatorship. Are you people from RUSSIA?

Talk about coruption the last time the military was in power. A run on the military bank........look it up on google

who increased the wealth and how.........some I can not mention ......do not want a knock on my door

Govt Spokesman : Cabinet does not dismiss Anupong

The mobile Cabinet’s meeting in Chiang Mai on Thursday did not consider dismissing Army Chief, while the Prime Minister dismissed coup rumour as groundless.

Prime Minister and Minister of Defence, Mr. Somchai Wongsawat said on Thursday (November 27) that coup rumour spread all day on Thursday was groundless.

“As Government, (I) want to work to protect democracy to lead to the country’s development with (people’s) happiness under His Majesty the King. We are lucky that we have the King resulting in (the country) having been in peace”, he noted.

Meanwhile, Government spokesman, Mr. Nuttawut Saigua, insisted that the mobile Cabinet’s meeting on Thursday did not consider to transfer military personnels, including Army Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda.

Rumour was spread earlier that Gen Anupong would be dismissed following his calling for the premier to dissolve the lower House of Representatives to solve prevailing political impasse.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 28 November 2008

Another round of lengthy elections and the bars shut again for weekend after weekend........sure to help tourism :o

They could pass a law that foreigner are allowed to buy alcohol.

Anyway I recall to drank beer at the last election but it had to be served in tee cups.

"nong nong: A cup of beer please"

Govt Spokesman : Cabinet does not dismiss Anupong

The mobile Cabinet’s meeting in Chiang Mai on Thursday did not consider dismissing Army Chief, while the Prime Minister dismissed coup rumour as groundless.

Prime Minister and Minister of Defence, Mr. Somchai Wongsawat said on Thursday (November 27) that coup rumour spread all day on Thursday was groundless.

“As Government, (I) want to work to protect democracy to lead to the country’s development with (people’s) happiness under His Majesty the King. We are lucky that we have the King resulting in (the country) having been in peace”, he noted.

Meanwhile, Government spokesman, Mr. Nuttawut Saigua, insisted that the mobile Cabinet’s meeting on Thursday did not consider to transfer military personnels, including Army Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda.

Rumour was spread earlier that Gen Anupong would be dismissed following his calling for the premier to dissolve the lower House of Representatives to solve prevailing political impasse.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 28 November 2008

:o:D :D

Reminds me to Irak government short time before they "won" against the american troops.

--------------

Can not beleive half of you are for a military dictatorship. Are you people from RUSSIA?

--------------

Very close indeed! What choices are there?

Maintain the status quo with a lame duck government doing nothing, playing the fiddle while the ship burns.

The PM and his cronies walk away and just hand power over to the opposition! Not likely.

Another round of hastly arranged elections which will probably achieve nothing.

The military steps in, rights the ship (well as 'right' as it's going to get), and some time down the track tries to introduce a democratically elected government. Thailand goes full circle again.

IMO this poll shows that we visitors, for want of a better term, don't have a clue what to do either!

If anyone thinks a coup will help stabilize the economy, may I remind you of the sanctions the EU and USA imposed last coup. Sanctions that put a major dent in the economy including access to low cost international development funds. If anyone thinks, Thailand can turn to China like last time, think again. China's economic woes are growing and it doesn't have the money to toss around.

Imposing military rule gives PAD what it wanted - rule by the elites.

GROWING UNEASE - The Nation

Capital increasingly tense as coup rumours spread

Published on November 28, 2008;Fri, November 28, 2008 : Last updated 0:52 hours

Anupong said to have exchanged phone ultimatums with Somchai

The situation in the capital was extremely tense yesterday as coup rumours prompted reaction from anti-government protesters and their rivals. Both camps mobilised their supporters for street fighting, while government and business offices suggested their staff get out early......

A blink could result in the prime minister's stepping down or the removal of the Army commander.

Anupong, (Paochinda, LP) who was publicly silent, reportedly cancelled a meeting of the military-run TV Channel 5 board of directors and met Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda.

post-13995-1227813220_thumb.jpg 6 months ago: Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra -R- gives a traditional greeting to Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda (L) their first meeting since the September 19, 2006 coup, during the funeral of -in WHITE uniform- Army chief Anupong Paochinda's mother at the temple in Bangkok late May 29, 2008. The 58-year-old former Thai premier returned to Bangkok in late February after his allies swept back into power in elections late last year. Photo: AFP/Getty

LaoPo

A very telling photo.

That does NOT look like a very respectful wai, by the thai standards I have witnessed.

Almost looks like a dis to Prem and and by extension to the grieving Anupong too.

Not the way (wai) to make friends, influence people, and mend breaches....

Edited by animatic

While I also feel sorry for those working in the hospitality, tourisim and transportation sectors, that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as fallout goes from this debacle! The markets and foriegn investment of all types, from infrastructure to realestate to commerce will be stifled for years to come as a result of this. Perhaps Thailand came too far to fast?

่่่่่่่่่Am I understanding you right? Are you really saying the current Thai political situation will be the reason for falling markets and investments in Thailand for years? Have you forgetten the global financial and economic meltdown?

The real downside of Thailand's current political situtation is that it does not allow the country's economists to focus on the real issue at hand, that being the global economic and financial mess every country is facing. Negative effects from the current situation in Thailand is that the impact of the global crisis is likely to be longer term here simply because Thailand is focusing its resources internally instead of finding ways to mitigate the external crisis at its door step.

If anyone thinks a coup will help stabilize the economy, may I remind you of the sanctions the EU and USA imposed last coup. Sanctions that put a major dent in the economy including access to low cost international development funds. If anyone thinks, Thailand can turn to China like last time, think again. China's economic woes are growing and it doesn't have the money to toss around.

I would suggest that any rule or government is better then what currently exists with an apparent collection of impotent leaders unable or unwilling to show credible leadership. As for the Elite running the country, then one could argue it is natural selection, after all, the so called uneducated poor are hardly able to make any sort of informed judgement are they ? That will take a further 50 years of education I suspect or thereabouts, or are you seriously suggesting that someone who can only "make their mark" on a voting slip should be able to stand as an MP ? If so what could they contiubte at National level to say foreign policy or investment ?

Democratic freedoms must develop, they can not be understood by all and consider most European countries struggled for more than 150 years to develop the democratic processes as we know now, whereas in Thailand they have only been at it for 66 years. Hence my earlier remark of requiring a further 50 years to fully develop the people and the country.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

While I also feel sorry for those working in the hospitality, tourisim and transportation sectors, that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as fallout goes from this debacle! The markets and foriegn investment of all types, from infrastructure to realestate to commerce will be stifled for years to come as a result of this. Perhaps Thailand came too far to fast?

่่่่่่่่่Am I understanding you right? Are you really saying the current Thai political situation will be the reason for falling markets and investments in Thailand for years? Have you forgetten the global financial and economic meltdown?

The real downside of Thailand's current political situtation is that it does not allow the country's economists to focus on the real issue at hand, that being the global economic and financial mess every country is facing. Negative effects from the current situation in Thailand is that the impact of the global crisis is likely to be longer term here simply because Thailand is focusing its resources internally instead of finding ways to mitigate the external crisis at its door step.

No - he's saying that this debacle is making what was already going to be a tough situation worse......... duh. :o

Talk about coruption the last time the military was in power. A run on the military bank........look it up on google

who increased the wealth and how.........some I can not mention ......do not want a knock on my door

I am more and more convinced Thailand is not ready for democracy.

this debacle is making what was already going to be a tough situation worse

Airport clsures will syurely have an impact, but overall neither the coup nor PPP govt had any significant effect on the economy.

The government, however bright or incompetent, has only little effect on the country, almost nothing if they stay for a year only and near zero if they keep changing ministers every three months.

After the last coup there were no military run on the banks and no "major dents" - there's no substance in these claims, it's all hot air.

One thing we learned yesterday is that the government do not have the confidence or power to remove the army chief. A removal order was reportedly prepared for the PM to sign and backed by MPs but in the end the government spokesperson came out begging for no coup. That leaves us in a position where the army chief can still dictate the tempo and shows the government dont think their position is that strong.

With this, it becomes increasingly likely that the PPP hardliners will up the grenade attacks and try to call out the red shirts this weekend. Put that in with a police assault on the airports and things become very unpredictable and better create the conditions for a an intervention. The government also need to return to Bangkok and show themselves publically there as a failure to do so makes them look weak and hidden, but do they have the courage to do this? There is a lot of psychological warfare going on right now.

A couple of things to consider in this by priority:

1) Airport. Combined with a 'news blackout' and the rest of the world watching the madness in India, well;

They are going to HAVE to make a move now and most likely are. Clean up the aftermath, open on Monday.

2) If further pockets of resistance occur, the military will escalate their actions.

They (both sides) are at a point of no return. 50-60 Baht to a dollar anyone?

"It is a ill wind that doesn't blow someone some good". Bernard Trink

:o

What sanctions? I can't recall any beside blocking some money for weapons.

Although I do not straighout support a coup I believe the answer is simple.

The governments immediately takes decisive action and restores order .

The present government is declared incompetent. The Army takes action and restores order.

The Peolpe return to the polls vote in another goverment - The whole cycle starts again.

Pretty simple.

The sad part is it may take some bloodshed to break the cycle.

Hope they can free the airports soon.

My wife tells me that the group in yellow says that if it is cleared from the airports that it will then close down traffic with thugs in over 40 places in Bangkok. thus they will of course wreck everything and still kill tourism.

When two sides disagree so profoundly, it is nearly impossible to reach a compromise.

Look for things to get worse.

Results will see the baht going to 45 to 55.

Tourism will collapse.

World standing will fall.

Economic disaster will hit.

All of these will happen if they continue to fight.

Of course the army could take over for the 20th time in the last 100 years. But likely Thailand would be hit with major trade sanctions and made into a Burma like wreck then.

Short the baht.

Short all Thai stocks.

Mine as well make money as we cry.

Somchai won't resign unless he's told to by Thaksin and Thaksin won't tell him to. This is part of Mr. T's strategy. After the last coup the Army were hailed as national heroes for getting rid of Mr. T and his corrupt cronies for the benefit of the country. Now Mr. T will have his revenge on the army. By telling Somchai and his police buddies to do nothing with the PAD protesters Thaksin is forcing the army's hand against their best judgment. With the airports closed this can not be allowed to continue indefinitely like the occupation of Government House. Thaksin must be very pleased the PAD has made this move to the airports. Somchai will sit on his hands as long as Thaksin tells him to.

The army can't justify a coup as easily this time as Somchai hasn't done the things Thaksin was accused of. All Somchai is guilty of is being ineffective and stubborn. Hardly reasons for the army to justify a coup. Anupong no doubt realises this and is backing away from a coup because this time around the army will not be seen as the good guys rescuing the country. Even freeing up the airports of PAD protesters would be hard for the army to justify as reason for a coup both locally and internationally. Righfully this is the job of the police. Somchai and Anupong both must know this.

IF THE ARMY STAGES A COUP IT GIVES GREAT CREDIBILITY TO THAKSIN'S CLAIMS THAT THAILAND IS UNDEMOCRATIC, THAT HE IS BEING PERSECUTED FOR HIS POLITICS AND THAT THE CHARGES AGAINST HIM ARE UNFAIR. BY STAGING A COUP THE ARMY PLAYS A LOOSING HAND IN THE GAME THAKSIN IS PLAYING WITH THAILAND AND THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY.

Thaksin's game plan is for the army to stage a coup and discredit themselves in the process particularly in the eyes of the international community. There will be casualties but probably not by the army but by the as yet unidentified bombers among the PAD crowd planted there to make things worse than they otherwise would be. It won't matter who's responsible for the protester casualties the army will be blamed by the pro-government crowd and it will stick. Thailand becomes more fractured in the process. The more fractured Thailand becomes the more power and appeal Thaksin has to return as the mesiah. Thaksin wants to be begged to return, as in "Please come back. We need you. All is forgiven."

The only value in a coup is if the army takes the opportunity to clean up the rotten political core of this country. It proved too difficult last time. It can't be done without exiling, jailing and killing and it will take years. Certainly a lot longer than the time in which the international ciommunity will expect democracy to be restored. What's needed is something like a 10 year transition period where those who are corrupt want to leave can do so in the first few months after which a "Truth Commission" is empowered to investigate and punish the corrupt who remain. So it should be "pack your bags, go now and never come back, or stay and accept the consequences." At the same time the civil service should also be purged of anyone with a political connection or who was politically appointed. When elections are finally held anyone who has previously been a politician or has political connections should be banned from being a candidate.

Sound extreme ? Sure. But without it any house dissdolution, coup, new election, new political party or anything else will have no effect beyond the short term. Given that the extreme solution needed has absolutely no chance of happening why do the PAD, the army or anyone else bother ? Nothing they do will change anything, unfortunately. Democracy will not function in Thailand until the economic shackles, and with them educational and intellectual constraints, are removed from the voters.

Sorry PeaceBlondie, I didn't manage to get even one in.

Well put.

And for once Thaksin is right: Thailand is undemocratic. But: it has never been a real democracy anyway, so what is there to lose?

Something needs to be done right now, and the only option is a coup or resignation of the PM. The latter will however lead to problems again within a few months, the former in maybe a few years.

Although I do not straighout support a coup I believe the answer is simple.

The governments immediately takes decisive action and restores order .

The present government is declared incompetent. The Army takes action and restores order.

The Peolpe return to the polls vote in another goverment - The whole cycle starts again.

Pretty simple.

The sad part is it may take some bloodshed to break the cycle.

One reason we may not have had a coup yet is that this time if there is one there will not be a return to the usual cycle but a complete change in what comes next.

Earlier this week Gen. Anupong said if I as army chief launch a coup it will be final and resolve everything. That can be read in many ways but does seem to imply he is aware that it will be a win or lose situation and that he recognizes bloodshed will happen.