Bringing Goods Through Customs

loong

We often like to bring something from our home countries with us when we come to Thailand. Oxo cubes, Marmite etc.

Probably we sometimes bring things in that are not strictly allowed without knowing it. Has anyone ever had problems?

What happens if you get caught bringing something that you shouldn't. Do the customs just confiscate it or do you get a grilling and fine?

I'm obviously not talking about something that is definitely illegal, drugs, guns etc. Just something that you may bring unwittingly.

Any experiences?

Has anyone actually ever been checked going through customs? I never have yet (Famous last words)!!

Is there a full list of what is and isn't allowed anywhere?

I would like to bring some seeds for the garden in with me, but not sure if this is allowed or not. I think that plants are not allowed, but not sure about seeds

Edited by loong

I would like to bring some seeds for the garden in with me, but not sure if this is allowed or not.

I put all the gift things in one bag so if they want to look thet can, they havn't. I brought some seeds into the kingdom last trip for my father in law. Next time i travel to Phayao, if it's all covered in Canadian wildflowers, I'm leaving fast... :o

I think if the seeds are in a commercial packet the worst they would do is take them away and tell you that they are not alowed. Most countries have an option like that if they think it could hurt the agriculture or become a problem they have the right to destroy them.

Thanks for reply

I'm in Amphur Song when in Thailand, not too far from Phayao. I assume your father-in -law is Thai. Is he likely to have some seeds that he may have collected from the flowers? If so might be interested in swapping some sometime.

I have only travelled thru Phayao, but intend to pop up on the motorbike next year and have a few days there. Looks really beautiful round the gigantic reservoir.

We often like to bring something from our home countries with us when we come to Thailand. Oxo cubes, Marmite etc.

Probably we sometimes bring things in that are not strictly allowed without knowing it. Has anyone ever had problems?

What happens if you get caught bringing something that you shouldn't. Do the customs just confiscate it or do you get a grilling and fine?

I'm obviously not talking about something that is definitely illegal, drugs, guns etc. Just something that you may bring unwittingly.

Any experiences?

Has anyone actually ever been checked going through customs? I never have yet (Famous last words)!!

I would like to bring some seeds for the garden in with me, but not sure if this is allowed or not. I think that plants are not allowed, but not sure about seeds

My experience with Thai customs over the past 24 years has been excellent. I have never had a problem....even though I live here and I have brought in cameras and computers and watches for my personal use.

But, when I return to the USA I am checked about 25% of the time....and US customs takes any food stuffs and levels duties even if I am over the limit by a little bit. Once when coming through Miami I was charged about $25 for excess stuff. There was a long line so I gave the customs girl the $25 and told her I did not need a receipt. I had to wait...and I missed my connecting flight.

When I traveled to the USSR in the early '80's Soviet customs was draconian ( they took my copy of Orwell's 1984) but, at least it was predictable.

Any experiences?

My experience with Thai customs over the past 24 years has been excellent. I have never had a problem....even though I live here and I have brought in cameras and computers and watches for my personal use.

But, when I return to the USA I am checked about 25% of the time....and US customs takes any food stuffs and levels duties even if I am over the limit by a little bit. Once when coming through Miami I was charged about $25 for excess stuff. There was a long line so I gave the customs girl the $25 and told her I did not need a receipt. I had to wait...and I missed my connecting flight.

When I traveled to the USSR in the early '80's Soviet customs was draconian ( they took my copy of Orwell's 1984) but, at least it was predictable.

Opps...I mean "levies duties"

Any experiences?

:o Almost always will be a duty to pay if the item requires duty....only very

rarely will they confiscate. (Unless your dumb enough to try bringing in drugs) I once brought in 20 kilos of prime-rib for a friends restaurant. Got it thru the "nothing to declare" line. Did get a suspisous look on that one. I got a free prime-rib dinner for two for carying it in from Singapore.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I've seen all the various seed packet varities (like Burpee) I remember from the the States being sold here,... Flowers and vegetables. In the 20-25 baht range per packet.

Ajarn

Do you happen to remember where you have seen them for sale?

Very recently in Chiang Mai at Kamtiang Mkt (the flower market behind Tesco) and at a garden supply store near Pratu Suandok in Chiang Mai.

I'm assuming this is also standard in many more places, especially in places like Bkk...