Turkey Day!

cathyy

Did the whole deal today. Roasted turkey with home made dressing, cream gravy, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower, salad, and before dinner a dip with chips and cut up veggies. Pumpkin pie with home made whipped cream for dessert, but everybody was too full to have any -- people will stop by tomorrow to have a slice.

Did the whole deal today. Roasted turkey with home made dressing, cream gravy, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower, salad, and before dinner a dip with chips and cut up veggies. Pumpkin pie with home made whipped cream for dessert, but everybody was too full to have any -- people will stop by tomorrow to have a slice.

I thought it was called "Thanksgiving", thats what my American friends told me . . . . . . .

I thought it was called "Thanksgiving", thats what my American friends told me . . . . . . .

But like all feasts it is just about food nowadays... :o

It's not just a yankee celebration, it's a tradition all over the US.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Had a very good BUFFET yesterday: Turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce, great stuffing, barbecue pork ribs, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and apple pie, ice cream... for only 350 BAht!!!

Was well worth it.... :o

Was craving for it all year.

I went to Bourbon Street yesterday, they had a big spread buffet, and still have it today too. But, it was about 900 Baht. Where did you find a buffet for 350?

I did the Landmark Hotel's Atrium restaurant last night. It was 1,300 baht. The turkey was adequate when they actually had it on the line, but the stuffing was some horrible cheesey thing, and they didn't even have turkey gravy. The dessert line was lacking, too.

Oddly enough, though, the prime rib was the best I have had in BKK, and the hot cranberry sauce was unique and quite good on the mashed potatoes with the beef gravy.

I envy cathyy though. If I had the kitchen for it, I would have made my own dinner. A good brined-then-roasted turkey is hard to beat, and with stuffing, mashed potatoes, Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, well that is hard to beat as well. And the sandwiches the next day are even better.

Did anyone try Eurogourmet's deep fried turkey dinner? I am contemplating getting it for Christmas. I have always wanted to try a deep fried turkey, but I never did it as I discovered brining (which I love) and love turkey gravy. But since I can't cook a tureky in my little kitchen, and I was disappointed with the Atrium buffet, I was thinking of giving his turkey dinner a shot.

Edited by bonobo

But like all feasts it is just about food nowadays... :o

There's a reason Thanksgiving is "about food", because that's what it is commemorating...

History of American Thanksgiving

In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast which is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. This harvest meal has become a symbol of cooperation and interaction between English colonists and Native Americans. Although this feast is considered by many to the very first Thanksgiving celebration, it was actually in keeping with a long tradition of celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for a successful bounty of crops. Native American groups throughout the Americas, including the Pueblo, Cherokee, Creek and many others organized harvest festivals, ceremonial dances, and other celebrations of thanks for centuries before the arrival of Europeans in North America.

Historians have also recorded other ceremonies of thanks among European settlers in North America, including British colonists in Berkeley Plantation, Virginia. At this site near the Charles River in December of 1619, a group of British settlers led by Captain John Woodlief knelt in prayer and pledged "Thanksgiving" to God for their healthy arrival after a long voyage across the Atlantic. This event has been acknowledged by some scholars and writers as the official first Thanksgiving among European settlers on record. Whether at Plymouth, Berkeley Plantation, or throughout the Americas, celebrations of thanks have held great meaning and importance over time. The legacy of thanks, and particularly of the feast, have survived the centuries as people throughout the United States gather family, friends, and enormous amounts of food for their yearly Thanksgiving meal.

We are going tonight, and we think the price is about 400 baht. You can get good dinners in Chiang Mai, even farang food buffets, at those prices. Turkey is best roasted, IMHO as an amurikan. Mashed potatoes with two kinds of gravy, properly cooked cornbread stiffing, 6 veggies of your choice, two salads, five desserts, beverages of choices...hooray.

It's not a minor holiday in the US. The day before is the single highest air-travel day of the year, and it kicks off a 4-day weekend. For many families it is the one time a year they all get together. And don't forget the football game! For years Detroit played Dallas but now they both play a different team. I'd say it is the number one holiday in terms of who celebrates it, as Christians, Jews, Muslims, and everybody else all enjoy this secular holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

:o

It's just common slang for Thanksgiving, because everybody has turkey. christmas and Easter dinners vary, but not Thanksgiving. You'd think changing anything on the traditional family menu is a criminal act...

Our European cousins have the erroneous idea that we are all Yankees!

maybe because you're the first one to refer to Americans as such .......... old age does funny things to one's mind, or is the poor diet?

The term Yankee, sometimes abbreviated to Yank, has a few related meanings, often referring to someone of U.S. origin or heritage. Within the United States its meaning has varied over time. Originally the term referred to residents of New England as used by Mark Twain in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. During and after the American Civil War its meaning expanded to include any Northerner or resident of the states formerly on the Union side of the war, and included anyone from the Northeast (New England, Mid-Atlantic, and upper Great Lakes states). After the Civil War the term gradually reverted to its earlier meaning of New Englander, although Southerners sometimes continue to use the extended meaning.

Outside the United States, Yank or Yankee is a slang term, sometimes derogatory, for any U.S. citizen.

Wikipedia

The term Yankee, sometimes abbreviated to Yank, has a few related meanings, often referring to someone of U.S. origin or heritage. Within the United States its meaning has varied over time. Originally the term referred to residents of New England as used by Mark Twain in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. During and after the American Civil War its meaning expanded to include any Northerner or resident of the states formerly on the Union side of the war, and included anyone from the Northeast (New England, Mid-Atlantic, and upper Great Lakes states). After the Civil War the term gradually reverted to its earlier meaning of New Englander, although Southerners sometimes continue to use the extended meaning.

Outside the United States, Yank or Yankee is a slang term, sometimes derogatory, for any U.S. citizen.

Wikipedia

I suppose that in a sense it's true that it's a Yankee holiday though. Although the first Thankgiving traces back to the Pilgrims, it didn't become a national holiday in the US until during the Civil War when Abraham Lincoln declared it as a holiday. The Union army had a big feast that day, while the Confederate army of course did not. The cynical view is that Lincoln's motive in declaring the holiday was to rub salt in the Confederacy's wounds. Some view having a feast while the Confederate army was short of supplies to have been a psychological ploy intended to demoralize the South.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Did anyone try Eurogourmet's deep fried turkey dinner? I am contemplating getting it for Christmas. I have always wanted to try a deep fried turkey, but I never did it as I discovered brining (which I love) and love turkey gravy. But since I can't cook a tureky in my little kitchen, and I was disappointed with the Atrium buffet, I was thinking of giving his turkey dinner a shot.

OK, deep fried turkey dinner? sacrilege!

:o

(says the woman who hasn't had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner since my grandmother went all out for us on our visit to the US in 1991 :D )

Ah, but do you know the difference between a Yankee and a Damned Yankee? I learned it in Florida. A Yankee is somebody from up north. A Damned Yankee is one who intends to stay in the South.

No, that's a carpetbagger. A Damned Yankee is one who plays professional baseball in New York.

Edited by OriginalPoster