Short & Long Term Impact On Thailand Tourism

livinthailandos

I want to note as I have read this is by far the worst international public relations nightmare & embarrassment to happen to this country that is highly dependant on tourism for many jobs around thailand. Note I've heard tourism takes in 6% of thailands GDP. Being a farang, working and living here for the last 4 years while running my business, I was trying to figure out ways on how to get by just next year due to global slowdown, but then this happens and realistically I see no way for tourism to survive at least short term wise and possible long term wise. I do suppose though if you are a company with 1 + million dollars in the bank with no debt you will survive for a while. I have no anger towards the PAD before this happened, even now I dont hate them for the fact that I have no control over this and I can't complain anymore because the damage has been done already. How so, well all the tourist will get home eventually and will tell all there friends and family what happened and news like this spreads like wildfire and people will not come back for how long who knows. I've read posting on people calling this a terroristic attack, I feel this could be worse what would happen if or when an event like mumbai does damage to an airport like this there would be massive damage. I honestly feel more bad for those thai's in the tourism industry who will most likely lose there jobs now because of this event, I am positive thailand could revive tourism but to many factors would have to take place for this to happen, should things go good and with hope maybe 2 or more years thailand's tourism might come back who knows though. For all of those tourists still stuck here, eventually you'll get home, weither or not you come back time will only tell

I think this high season will be the worst of it. However I think Thailand will not regain it's high water mark of tourists for about a decade. Thailand's ineptness and chaos is charming in the form of an elephant walking down the sidewalk or the chili from som tam burning your eyes as you walk by. But closing the airport and stranding people amidst gun fire and overturned cars does not make people rush to the ticket counter to check out the scene. At least this time Thailand can't blame the Farang.

I was sad today to see an article in the "Bnagkok Post" saying that:

"Thailand has made the list of the Top 20 Most Dangerous Places as compiled by the Telegraph newspaper of London. The latest edition of the list puts Thailand as the seventh most-dangerous spot for travellers behind Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya, South Africa, Somalia and Sudan...It justifies the Thai spot on the list because of "major political demonstrations and a temporary state of emergency" at the two Bangkok airports.It also cites the continuing demonstrations around Government House, the Cambodian-Thai fighting on the border, and "civil unrest and frequent attacks" in the deep South. The British "Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to these areas," the newspaper said."

All this at the time I am about to apply for a retirement visa! Having spent a great deal of time in Thailand over 20+ years, I don't think that the Telegraph's depiction of Thailand is accurate for a number of reasons. But, I have to admit that their list of "events" is damning, if in some cases a bit misperceived.

Sigh..........

Short & Long Term Impact On Thailand Tourism?

DISASTEROUS

It probably will be so for Ko Phangan (as well as the other destination of coarse) which place just was turned to a "better tourist place" by so many locals, by building more expensive resorts and bungalows, to serve a more spendable tourist population here. Those cheap bungalows are mostly gone and the only people who don't worry a political situation (backpacker and hippies) can almost no more find bungalows here. Sad to see how people must learn the hard way. I'm sorry for them but also somehow thankful for the lesson given by the spirits of the universe ;-)) to us all, that money is not everything. Lucky for those guy's with more moderate whishes here. Sad for those loaded with big credit now, given by the banks for AC-bungalows and swimming pools. I'm wondering what they will do if things going out of control really. At the moment everybody is still in waiting position, things could turn very fast to very bad.

Not to imagine the long term impact!

Frankly I do believe that nothing short of full-blown civil war in Thailand (and I mean one visible to the world, in the capital, not the other one ongoing), pretty much nothing will impact tourism here in the long-term. I am sure there will be sections of the markets who will feel the impact for a very long time: corporate travel, families, etc. A good number of places will also have to adjust their service levels to their prices or the other way round.

Short-term, the global economic crisis and this one together will be desastrous. Coming off a really good year previous however, businesses who are not hit on the wrong foot because they re-invested already everything will just sail through a year.

At least down here in the south, it is not as if nobody should have forgotten the financial hit of the tsunami so easy and did not learn to have a little bit (or better lots) of money stashed for such an incidence. After being really negative for 2-3 days I am starting to look at it with a much more optimistic view.

"Thailand has made the list of the Top 20 Most Dangerous Places as compiled by the Telegraph newspaper of London. The latest edition of the list puts Thailand as the seventh most-dangerous spot for travellers behind Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya, South Africa, Somalia and Sudan...It justifies the Thai spot on the list because of "major political demonstrations and a temporary state of emergency" at the two Bangkok airports.It also cites the continuing demonstrations around Government House, the Cambodian-Thai fighting on the border, and "civil unrest and frequent attacks" in the deep South. The British "Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to these areas," the newspaper said."

So they are saying Thailand is more dangerous than Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Columbia, Mexico, and Algeria? And since they've felt the need to break Thailand into specific areas, how about New Orleans and New York City in the US?

So they are saying Thailand is more dangerous than Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Columbia, Mexico, and Algeria? And since they've felt the need to break Thailand into specific areas, how about New Orleans and New York City in the US?

New York still ranks as one of the safest USA big cities to live in. (2nd only to Honolulu)

New Yorkers are more likely to return a dropped wallet than other big city dwellers. They are also more likely to stop and help. Google the studies and see. Drop a wallet in Bangers and see if someone returns it :o

All about perceptions. People still think NYC is big dark and evil. It was cleaned it up 25 years ago. Some people think Thailand is safe as a baby and forget that death by vehicle impact and gunshot rates are two of the highest in the world outside of major war zones like the DR Congo. The current troubles will cause people to pay attention to those characteristics.

Folks , I am normally on the Pattaya forume we are trying to get IN to Thailand & trying via Singapore with flight diverted to UPT (we hope) BUT, do any of you know what is happening at BKK airport NOW??

:o

Sundaymorning (2008/11/30):

Airport still blocked, police isolating protesters.

Bangkokpost: airport closed till monday.

U Tapao - very busy due to departures, no arrivals.

Those heading to this part of the world will go to vietnam, the backpackers and sex tourists are starting to head to cambodia I guess, Sinville has a few ex pattaya bar owners setting up shop they are all awaiting the opening of the airport with baited breath.

In many ways I think Thailand has been riding the crest of a tourism wave for many years, the financial crisis has hit just at the point where too many loans had been taken out to develop projects or rather that's a symtom of the crisis. That would have caused a slowdown but the recent stupidity at the airport more or less means that the people Thailand has been developing it's hotels and resorts for are just not going to come. As I said I think Vietnam especially will benefit from Thailands misfortune.

It's always been assumed that there isn't a viable alternative to Thailand. Up until recent years it has been the case that Thailand is the only jewel in asia's crown as a place to visit for a holdays or to seriuously try to live as an expat. This was changing before the trouibles began. Now I believe it will be a permanent change. Thailand has had its day.

Even before all the troubles began (and I am going back a few years before the last military coup), other countries were slowly beginning to emerge as possible alternatives to Thailand. In the last two years particulary, there has been huge investment in Cambodia and Vietnam, who can now boast of high quality holiday resorts. The development plans for those countries are continuous and accelerating. Malaysia is also a highly attractive holiday destination, especially somewhere like Langwani with its fantastic and unspoilt beaches. These places are now being sold to customers first in British high street travel agents, before Thailand. No credible travel company will encourage holiday makers to go to Thailand, because many of their insurance policies are tied in with their holiday packages, or other insurance companies. In fact, as far as I am aware this has actually become policy with some high street travel companies. They try to sell other asian country resorts first, and then have to explain the risks of visiting Thailand (All tied in with insurance and risk).

From a business perspective, even for huge companies with massive turnovers - when businesses set up in another country, they are not necessairly interested in who is in power, or even if the govenernemt is corrupt or not; what they look for is stability. That stability has to be both political and economic. And stability must be there for the medium and longterm. Such stability does not exist in Thailand. Do you know the huge Amata Nakhon Industral estates like at Chonburi - which hosts over 300 international companies? Well, 100 of these companies have recently pulled out of Thailand - some have gone to Vietnam, China and Cambodia, others have pulled out of asia altogether. They have lost confidence, and they are dscovering alternatives with more foreseeable stability and less bureacracy. (In addition, Cambodia is now encouraging foreigners to buy both land and property by allowing them to be 100% owners.)

The present troubles, which began several years ago, have put a final nail in the coffin for Thailand. At the time of the last military coup there was talk that some comanies were prepared to stay in the hope that the elections, when they came, would bring stability. That hasn't happened. The opposite has happened. Those companies will now access other options. People who simply love Thailand or people with family ties may want to continue to visit or live in Thailand; fair enough, but people who are truely concerned about their busiensses will be stupid not to research the viable alternatives that are becoming more popular and more stable in Asia.

New York still ranks as one of the safest USA big cities to live in. (2nd only to Honolulu)

New Yorkers are more likely to return a dropped wallet than other big city dwellers. They are also more likely to stop and help. Google the studies and see. Drop a wallet in Bangers and see if someone returns it :o

All about perceptions. People still think NYC is big dark and evil. It was cleaned it up 25 years ago. Some people think Thailand is safe as a baby and forget that death by vehicle impact and gunshot rates are two of the highest in the world outside of major war zones like the DR Congo. The current troubles will cause people to pay attention to those characteristics.

i went out almost every weekend in new york, ( born and raised in connecticut ) from manhattan to the bronx and never ,once had a problem and people said thank you when you held a door open for them, new york is very, very safe.

Those heading to this part of the world will go to vietnam, the backpackers and sex tourists are starting to head to cambodia I guess, Sinville has a few ex pattaya bar owners setting up shop they are all awaiting the opening of the airport with baited breath.

In many ways I think Thailand has been riding the crest of a tourism wave for many years, the financial crisis has hit just at the point where too many loans had been taken out to develop projects or rather that's a symtom of the crisis. That would have caused a slowdown but the recent stupidity at the airport more or less means that the people Thailand has been developing it's hotels and resorts for are just not going to come. As I said I think Vietnam especially will benefit from Thailands misfortune.

well good luck, tourism in thailand they said will go down to 6-7 million in 2009 from, a high of 14 million in 2007 and 2010 and beyond will be just as bad, my brother went to cambodia and vietnam last year and loved it, his wife is cambodian, plenty of other places to go then thailand with cheap sex and booze.

There comes a point when the public just turn on a person, organisation, company or even a nation. My perception is Thailand has pushed people over the edge in recent times. It doesn't have any novelty value either. Further there is the pollution, floods, natural disasters, and unfavourable exchange rate. The service is generally poor too IMHO. Start of a very long downturn for Thailand.

I must admit to be falling rapidly out of love with Thailand recently. The recent airport worries (I fly in on Thursday hopefully) and the general sense of being a walking ATM have taken their toll. I've thought of trying the Philippines, but have yet to visit.

Maybe I'll feel different if I ever get back into Thailand.

Back in Europe people are kinda scared even though most of us know that this again wasn't that dramatic. I'm sure Thailand will suffer a long time because of this and the next time anyone wants to seize any airports they won't allow it to happen.

I have always found that the general public have short memories.

In a few days, this present political crisis in Thailand will be old news and soon forgotten.

Next year, if not sooner, I`m sure, the tourists will come flocking back again.

People get trapped in a way of expecting things based on past experience, but I'm sure this is a major change. Postings like this also reveal naivety about the economic slump. It is true people forget quickly, but when bad things happen again and again it sinks in deeper leading to sudden major changes.

There comes a point when the public just turn on a person, organisation, company or even a nation. My perception is Thailand has pushed people over the edge in recent times. It doesn't have any novelty value either. Further there is the pollution, floods, natural disasters, and unfavourable exchange rate. The service is generally poor too IMHO. Start of a very long downturn for Thailand.

We leave on Friday, overland to Phnom Penh as it would have cost over 500 Dollars extra one way to fly, (only option is via Siem Reap). Our booked tickets have been cancelled.

We were due back in Thailand on the 5th January for a month before flying back to the Philippines, that now seems unlikely.

If the airport is working, and the PAD leaders are locked up in jail we may come back.

Otherwise we would be stupid to return, better to buy a new ticket from KL back to the Philippines.

Edited by davee58

I must admit to be falling rapidly out of love with Thailand recently. The recent airport worries (I fly in on Thursday hopefully) and the general sense of being a walking ATM have taken their toll. I've thought of trying the Philippines, but have yet to visit.

Maybe I'll feel different if I ever get back into Thailand.

The Phillipines?

Don't they have armed guards outside McDonalds there?

Sounds a pretty safe place to me :o

I want to note as I have read this is by far the worst international public relations nightmare & embarrassment to happen to this country that is highly dependant on tourism for many jobs around thailand. Note I've heard tourism takes in 6% of thailands GDP. Being a farang, working and living here for the last 4 years while running my business, I was trying to figure out ways on how to get by just next year due to global slowdown, but then this happens and realistically I see no way for tourism to survive at least short term wise and possible long term wise. I do suppose though if you are a company with 1 + million dollars in the bank with no debt you will survive for a while. I have no anger towards the PAD before this happened, even now I dont hate them for the fact that I have no control over this and I can't complain anymore because the damage has been done already. How so, well all the tourist will get home eventually and will tell all there friends and family what happened and news like this spreads like wildfire and people will not come back for how long who knows. I've read posting on people calling this a terroristic attack, I feel this could be worse what would happen if or when an event like mumbai does damage to an airport like this there would be massive damage. I honestly feel more bad for those thai's in the tourism industry who will most likely lose there jobs now because of this event, I am positive thailand could revive tourism but to many factors would have to take place for this to happen, should things go good and with hope maybe 2 or more years thailand's tourism might come back who knows though. For all of those tourists still stuck here, eventually you'll get home, weither or not you come back time will only tell

I would worrry more about the "reporting" from outside of Thailand about this with its inaccuracies, my parents phoned me last night to tell me they had heard it was almost civil war here!!

I have always found that the general public have short memories.

In a few days, this present political crisis in Thailand will be old news and soon forgotten.

Next year, if not sooner, I`m sure, the tourists will come flocking back again.

It was forgotten almost the same day it started due to the Mumbai bombings. I think people will still come theyll only slow down if they see a Mumbai situation and even then those will realise that it has only happened in a very small segment of the country akin to the IRA in the Uk and saying its not safe to go to the Uk etc

Three words:

Devalue

The

Baht

Or even just let it float freely !

The BoT must have spent a significant part of its Dollar reserves, to hold the Baht relatively-steady, over the past few weeks, none of that has helped tourism or exporters, who are closing-down their factories in droves.

Why is it that one of the few things the PPP-led government did, in its 11 months in power, was to pursue a strong-Baht policy, and further damage the economy ? Cui bono ???

I'm sure Thailand will suffer a long time

I'm sure, too.

Everyone will think twice before visiting Thailand after the incidents. No one wants to have his holiday ruined. I bet that the number of tourists travelling to Thailand will decrease tremendously in next weeks/months/years. Even so-called Thai freaks and sex tourists will maybe reconsider their holiday plans and travel to another places with beatufil landscapes and hot chicks.