Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

"As a Thai citizen, I plead with the PAD to release the aircraft at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang. I know they are protesting for a cause, but these foreign travellers do not deserve to suffer for our domestic problems," she says.

This flight attendant forgot about one thing in her plea. The PAD leaders don't care about Thais or Thailand.

if Thai flight attendants offer homestay to broke tourists... wouldn't you run out of money? ;-)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation is slowly escalating, and the core problem is a class conflict.

As is always the case with Thai culture, what you see on the surface is not necessarily the reality. Behind the gentle wais, or traditional Thai greeting, and friendly smiles has always lurked deep-rooted social contradictions. A dynamic, burgeoning urban middle class looks down on a huge, poor rural class which has been awakened by Thaksin Shinawatra's Peronist-style populism.

There is a game going on with the "last stand" of the anti-Thaksin forces holed up in the airport. The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) - once hugely popular with the rabidly anti-Thaksin urban class - has steadily lost support with its increasingly illegal and thuggish tactics which have badly affected the economy. The PAD wants to force the hand of the players - the military to launch a coup, or the government to resign.

Yade, That was a succinct and incredibly insightful post. I have a feeling that many on this board who are PAD supporters don't realize just how negative world opinion is about the PAD for pulling this stunt. The fact that tourisim will be advresely effected for a few years is the smallest part of the fallout from this debacle. Since the military coup detat 2 years ago and now this, Thailand is being viewed more and more like some upstart african nation that is constantly overthrowing their government, and this has serious ramifications for how Thailand will be delt with on the world stage but more importantly, the investor class will think twice in the future before they put any investment money at risk in such a politically volitile and unstable country. Its really a shame because all the work that was done after 1992 to build up Thailands export sector, tourisim industry and the fact that Thailand was viewed as the rising star of S.E. Asia in an economic sense, is now to come tumbling down. Thailand made it through the economic crisis of 1997, a terrible tsunami, and even a bloodless coup, but for Thailand to sit idley by while 10-20 thousand people take the country hostage (both in an economic and emotional sense) and disrupt the lives of 160,000 tourists, and bring international commerce (as far as thailand is concerned anyway) to a standstill, this is the straw that will break the camels back. When this era is viewed in an historical perspective many years from now, Thaksin will be seen as just another corrupt leader of an Asian nation, but the PAD and Thailands military will be viewed as those who help thrust Thailand back into the third world, at a time when Thailand was begining to gain repect on the world stage and was becoming a powerful economic force in the region. While it is sad that a few thousand people would bring down their own country economy, its even sadder that the military and government stood idley by and let it occur :o

There are still buses and trains to working international airports.

Phuket, Chaingmai, Samui, Penang and Kuala Lumpur all about a day away.

Viet Nam and Cambodia, even Mayanmar also have out flights too.

Some need online visas or consulate visits, but it is not total isolation here.

Certainly not as convenient, but not locked down if you really need in or out.

Never ceases to amaze me the way you guys downplay the impact and re-write the reality......... "not as convenient"? :o:D

Unlike some, I'll confine my response to something I actually know about and know to be true. There isn't a ticket to be had for a train or bus from BKK to Chiang Mai any time in the next few days. Evidence? From 2 different Thai friends who were due to fly up this week and have been trying to book seats on anything with wheels. I rather suspect (but won't shoot my mouth off and claim) that it's the same or similar for any of the other bits of nearby geography you list so blithely.

In case you hadn't noticed, things aren't quite what they were.............. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Yeah right,

make a constructive suggestion an get flamed.

Good on you mate.

Plenty of other places than Chaingmai.

No flame involved. My point is in the first line and also relates to other posts where IMO you play up the threat to justify (most of) PAD's actions and play down the consequences. In fairness to you, my take is that you do it somewhat less than others here - and generally give a fair account of why you think as you do without resorting to others' out and out manipulation of facts.

I cited the BKK-Chiang Mai situation based on 2 separate reports given to me by people actually trying to arrange their journey this coming week. Anecdotally, I am hearing/seeing views (I'll use that word rather than "reports" - as I try to stay objective and accurate) that the same/similar applies to most other routes.

All that said, I regret the last phrase - it was unnecessary and I apologise for it.

GP, I've taken a few moments to review a sampling of your posts, which show a breathtaking lack of understanding of the situation here, both now, and historically. Your spurious and inaccurate use of the term fascist underlines this. Your assumptions about the structure here, serfdom, or surfdom, as you describe it, and your apparent lack of knowledge of how PAD came into existence, and the events prior to the coup, is also clear. Now this may be because you have chosen not to make these things explicit in your posts.

In my view, it would be wise to look at the history and understand more clearly where PAD comes from. This is doable, but it is a time consuming task, one which few here, even given my hiatus, appear to have the inclination so to do. Those that do contribute to the debate, those who do not, don't.

Regards

thai_protest_1130.jpg

Anti-government demonstrators carry a wounded woman to safety near the Government House in Bangkok November 30, 2008

Time Magazine / 2008-11-30

Thailand Crisis Deepens Amidst New Violence

Nearly 50 anti-government demonstrators were rushed to hospital early Sunday morning after a grenade attack on one of their protest sites in Bangkok. The attack comes on the sixth day of the anti-government occupation of Bangkok's two main airports, where demonstrators have been involved in minor clashes with the some 2000 police officers deployed there. Meanwhile, in the old quarter of the Thai capital, tens of thousands of government supporters were preparing to rally, raising concerns about a confrontation between the two opposing groups.

The opposition gathered support over the weekend, as business leaders joined the chorus calling for Thailand's democratically elected ruling party to step down from power. "The situation has gone from bad to worse," the Thai Chamber of Commerce said in statement on Saturday, "signaling that [the government] is incompetent at ensuring peace and order...coalition parties should have the political courage to withdraw from the government and allow a new government to be installed." The chamber also urged anti-government protesters to end their occupation of the two airports. Some members told the Bangkok Post they would stop paying taxes as a form of civil disobedience of the government did not resign.

The protestors' leadership, despite the injuries their ranks incurred overnight, remain resolute. Chamlong Srimuang, one of the heads of the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), told supporters at New Bangkok International Airport, also known as Suvarnabhumi, on Sunday morning that they would soon be victorious. Lawyers for the ruling People Power Party and two other political parties in the government coalition are scheduled on Tuesday, Dec. 2, to make closing arguments before the Constitutional Court in election fraud cases that could result in the parties being dissolved, effectively ending their hold on power.

It is not clear, however, how quickly the court will render its verdicts, leaving the question of how long anti-government forces intend to maintain this vigil that, in the last week, has led to the loss of millions of tourist dollars and left an estimated 100,000 passengers stranded. The PAD has been protesting since May, when the government announced it would begin amending the constitution. The protesters and other critics of the government claim it intends to change the charter in ways that would torpedo the cases against it, and also cases and convictions against former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thaksin, the ousted premier who many believe is still the real power behind the ruling party, has been convicted and sentenced to two years in jail for conflict of interest over a land deal. He fled the country in August, and has been nation-hopping since then. On Saturday, Thaksin gave an interview to a journalist in Dubai in which he demanded that anti-government protesters respect the law. "If some people are above the law...then everything is finished," Thaksin said. If everyone respects the law, he continued, the situation could end soon.

The escalating violence, however, hardly indicates the situation is headed in that direction. The grenade attack on members of the People's Alliance for Democracy took place around midnight at Government House, the office compound of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, which the protesters have occupied since August. Most of the wounded were women, four critically. It was the fourth grenade attack on the compound this past week by unknown assailants. One PAD security guard was killed and several others were wounded in the previous attacks. Two grenades and several rounds of gunfire were also fired at the offices of ASTV, a satellite television station owned by Sondhi Limthongkul, one of the protest leaders, early Sunday, and a bomb exploded at a barricade erected by the PAD outside Don Muang Airport. No one was wounded in either incident.

On Saturday, police abandoned their checkpoints leading to the international airport when several truckloads of PAD members ran the blockade to reach their fellow demonstrators. Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat had issued a state of emergency covering the two airports the day before and ordered police to clear them of the several thousand PAD protesters. So far, the police have not attempted to enter the terminals at either airport. Olan Chaipravat, an economic advisor to the government, said on Saturday that the closure of the airports could cost the country one million jobs in the tourism industry, as arrivals could drop from an expected 14.5 million this year to just six or seven million in 2009.

- Time Magazine / 2008-11-30

And Somchai is still playing golf in Chiang Mai. :o

Declaration of the European Unionon the situation in Thailand(Bangkok, 29 November 2008)

The European Union Ambassadors in Bangkok reiterate their serious concerns about the siege of the Bangkok airports, resulting in the disruption of international air traffic and already over 100 000 passengers being stranded. While respecting the right of protesting and without interfering in any way with the internal political debate in Thailand, the EU considers that these actions are totally inappropriate. They are seriously damaging the international image of Thailand.

We urge the protesters to evacuate the airports peacefully without delay in order to avoid a major consular crisis and its economic consequences for Thailand.

We call all parties in Thailand to takes steps to resolve the crisis and restore public order, respecting the rule of law and country's democratic institutions.

finish quote.

Never mind, its only the EU saying this so they can ignore it, not that they will ever read it in PADland. Not like Sondhi has spoken or anything is it!

This is a hoax, Can you give us the source of it. The EU did not give any statements like this.

French embassy website genuine enough?

http://www.ambafrance-th.org/spip.php?article1542

You're losing your time.

The PAD supporters will deny the truth even if put in front of their eyes.

Ignorance is bliss for them.

I am not pro-PAD. But I think a foreign power have no right to have a say here.

Just like when EU offer to witness the previous election.

Thailand would polite say: Por Mea Tee Kan, Khon Nok Mai Kew (Translate "Husband & Wife fighting, none of your god dam business")

Instead of give comments on Thailand, the EU and the rest of Western governments should better take some actions in East Congo where people are massacred and women get raped by the thousands, but no a few thousands tourists who are temporary blocked are for more important for them. I feel ashamed in their place.

GP, I've taken a few moments to review a sampling of your posts, which show a breathtaking lack of understanding of the situation here, both now, and historically. Your spurious and inaccurate use of the term fascist underlines this. Your assumptions about the structure here, serfdom, or surfdom, as you describe it, and your apparent lack of knowledge of how PAD came into existence, and the events prior to the coup, is also clear. Now this may be because you have chosen not to make these things explicit in your posts.

In my view, it would be wise to look at the history and understand more clearly where PAD comes from. This is doable, but it is a time consuming task, one which few here, even given my hiatus, appear to have the inclination so to do. Those that do contribute to the debate, those who do not, don't.

Regards

So put me right then. Give us the PAD guide for dummies if you think there is something missing.

The problem with you is that you think you are superior to everybody on this thread and just pop up and pontifuicate on other peoples reasoning.

If I am so deluded, stop reading my posts and post something useful yourself so we know where you stand . We might even agree with you. If it is doable, how long did it take you? Where did you look? Etc. Just post something useful for once.

You are starting to come over as a troll rather than the towering intellect you seem to be aiming for.

Edited by grandpops

Malaysia truly asia.

Thailand, nearly Burma!

TAT predicting tourists down to 6 million. thats 8 million down on this year!

8 million at 4000 baht per day is 32,000,000,000 per day of stay average loss. Average stay of tourists here is 8.16 days

So TAT are expecting a shortfall on tourist revenue in the region of 261,120,000,000 baht which is a few bob where I am from.

Thats without the loss of exports, direct investment and the loss of aid that will occur if there is a Junta or appointed government in place of an ELECTED one!

There will hardly enough money in the coffers to pay the Idle Army and all those "educated" University and school teachers in Bangkok at that rate.

Sleep tight!

Edited by grandpops

PAD agression protesters intimidate the media

Published on December 1, 2008;Mon, December 1, 2008 : Last updated 0:10 hours

Pickup of TV station staff fired at; reporters forced to take off T-shirts with peace message

A mobile TV technician and his driver almost got killed when they lost their way at an anti-government protest site yesterday.

Phanumart Jaihork, a TNN relay controller, said his pickup truck came under heavy gunfire from People's Alliance for Democracy guards at Don Mueang Airport. The vehicle carried the logos of the company and TV station on its sides and a microwave transmitter in its bed.

After getting lost, they stopped at a PAD checkpoint in front of the passenger terminal to ask the guards for directions, when bangs were heard. The guards told them to rush to a safe place in the building.

When the truck passed a second checkpoint, Phanumart and his driver heard many more shots so they speeded up. They found many bullet holes on the sides, tailgate and roof. No one was hurt.

PAD co-leader Amorn Amornratananont apologised to the two, saying the first bang misled the guards at the second checkpoint into believing that the intruders had set off an explosion to incite the protesters.

PAD supporters at rallying sites are keeping a close eye on reporters. They take photos of them and signal they should report only the good side of the PAD. Demonstration leaders designate specific areas for the media while reporters have to stay in groups for their own protection.

Ban Muang newspaper reporter Natthawut Karanyasophon said he was stunned when two PAD followers at Suvarnabhumi Airport told him to take off his white T-shirt marked with "Stop Violence". They told him the T-shirt missed the point as only the PAD was treated unfairly.

Other protesters surrounded Natthawut as they thought he was bullying them. PAD co-leader Saranyu Wongkrachang stepped in and moved the media's work centre to another area of the site.

Natthawut said the Thai Journalists' Association encouraged reporters to wear the T-shirt while they covered stories at Government House to call for peace. Although he did not fear the protesters, he changed to another T-shirt to avoid more trouble.

On Saturday night, PAD supporters also forced a woman reporter to take off her T-shirt with the same message.

Co-leader Somkiat Pongpaiboon said PAD's supporters at Suvarnabhumi do not carry lethal weapons and a weapons-check was very strict.

However, they are engaged in warfare and the protesters might fly into a rage at anytime so it would be hard to guarantee anybody's safety, he added.

-The Nation

LaoPo

As is always the case with Thai culture, what you see on the surface is not necessarily the reality. Behind the gentle wais, or traditional Thai greeting, and friendly smiles has always lurked deep-rooted social contradictions. A dynamic, burgeoning urban middle class looks down on a huge, poor rural class which has been awakened by Thaksin Shinawatra's Peronist-style populism.

One of Asia's most vibrant intelligentsia and unfettered media co-exists with probably the world's most conservative and powerful monarchy. A fractious, corrupted political elite manipulating elections for its own gains co-exists with a military elite which has staged more coups than elections.

There is a game going on with the "last stand" of the anti-Thaksin forces holed up in the airport. The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) - once hugely popular with the rabidly anti-Thaksin urban class - has steadily lost support with its increasingly illegal and thuggish tactics which have badly affected the economy. The PAD wants to force the hand of the players - the military to launch a coup, or the government to resign.

The elected government is pushing the military to take action against the PAD. The military is asking the government to resign and call new elections, which is an odd thing for an arm of a government to do. All the while, the emboldened PAD is fast becoming reminiscent of the proto-fascists in Germany and Italy before World War II.

I didn't highlight this. It's how most thinking people see this.

This is an ongoing revolution and the Fascist PAD are fighting a rearguard battle on behalf of a morally bankrupt Elitist group whose time is coming to an end.

Let the Bankok rich lose their money. Isaan and the North is poverty as usual, only this poverty is not as acute as it was pre Thaksin. The PAD pot must be nearly empty now as they are more and more desparate to provoke this coup.

Four straight election wins against all odds and all the might of the Junta Appointed Court with the Junta ammended constitution.

Army not fancying a war in the south and a major insurection in the North. Besides, the Government is still in the country and the worlds media, politicians and almost the entire north of Thailand are on their side. In any event if they coup, they will have no money in the coffers as the country is shafted now by their inaction.

The fight against Fascists must always be fought and if the sheep of the PAD want to be fodder for Sondhi, what is the rest of the country supposed to do?

Perhaps if the worlds media had sent Indian and Black presenters to interview these "educated" PAD followers, they would have seen the horrified looks on the faces of the white Chinese Thais. The same look we see from them when they tell us that dark skin thais are "lo-so" and that burmese and Indians are dirty and smelly and criminals.

Check the threads on TV about the condo blocks that will not allow indian residents to live there because they smell. Those of you who live in Thailand will know this to be a true summary of how the whiter skinned bangkokians view others.

Very good post.

These fascist thugs must never be allowed to force a legally elected government and then stack the deck so that a majority elected government will never again gain power.

It makes me wonder why other people here on TV pronounce their allmost fanatical suport for the PAD.

What is their agenda?

I suspect it is the same as the fascists, that is...the rural majority were begining to be empowered and that meant their little serfdoms where slowly coming to an end.

People like this rainman should simply be banned from it, and there are a few more that I feel so sad to hear what goes on in their mind.

Why? Because I write the truth? I write nothing but the truth. If you can't accept it, I can't help you.

Tell me if I'm lying when I'm saying that 1 million Thais have lost their jobs in the last week.

Tell me if I'm lying when I'm saying that Thailand and its people have lost billions in damages every single day.

Tell me if I'm lying when I'm saying that whether the airport is blocked or not, the PPP will be dissolved on Tuesday anyways.

To me, the PAD are a mob of armed domestic terrorists. To you, they may be your best friends. To each his own. The PAD are forcing their opinions upon others. Why should others stay quiet?

rainman,

you seems to know many things, so maybe you can inform

what was the debt rate of Isan people before Thaksin came to power and what is their debt after all the handouts and so called free loans Thaksin gave to them.

One of Asia's most vibrant intelligentsia and unfettered media co-exists with probably the world's most conservative and powerful monarchy. A fractious, corrupted political elite manipulating elections for its own gains co-exists with a military elite which has staged more coups than elections.

The elected government is pushing the military to take action against the PAD. The military is asking the government to resign and call new elections, which is an odd thing for an arm of a government to do. All the while, the emboldened PAD is fast becoming reminiscent of the proto-fascists in Germany and Italy before World War II.

This is an ongoing revolution and the Fascist PAD are fighting a rearguard battle on behalf of a morally bankrupt Elitist group whose time is coming to an end.

Let the Bankok rich lose their money. Isaan and the North is poverty as usual, only this poverty is not as acute as it was pre Thaksin. The PAD pot must be nearly empty now as they are more and more desparate to provoke this coup.

Four straight election wins against all odds and all the might of the Junta Appointed Court with the Junta ammended constitution.

Army not fancying a war in the south and a major insurection in the North. Besides, the Government is still in the country and the worlds media, politicians and almost the entire north of Thailand are on their side. In any event if they coup, they will have no money in the coffers as the country is shafted now by their inaction.

The fight against Fascists must always be fought and if the sheep of the PAD want to be fodder for Sondhi, what is the rest of the country supposed to do?

Perhaps if the worlds media had sent Indian and Black presenters to interview these "educated" PAD followers, they would have seen the horrified looks on the faces of the white Chinese Thais. The same look we see from them when they tell us that dark skin thais are "lo-so" and that burmese and Indians are dirty and smelly and criminals.

Check the threads on TV about the condo blocks that will not allow indian residents to live there because they smell. Those of you who live in Thailand will know this to be a true summary of how the whiter skinned bangkokians view others.

Very good post.

These fascist thugs must never be allowed to force a legally elected government and then stack the deck so that a majority elected government will never again gain power.

It makes me wonder why other people here on TV pronounce their allmost fanatical suport for the PAD.

What is their agenda?

I suspect it is the same as the fascists, that is...the rural majority were begining to be empowered and that meant their little serfdoms where slowly coming to an end.

Just because the govt was legally elected it don't mean they are necessarily good for the people. Take Hamas for example in Palistine, they too were legally elected and yet no one respects them, why should Thais be expected to support Toxin's terrorists with their drive by motorbike bombings and such?

At least 30,000 had gathered by 9 p.m. (1400 GMT), most wearing the red that is associated with their cause. They carried Thai flags, red flags and red heart signs with Thaksin's picture.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/i...lBrandChannel=0

any other source can confirm that??

I would be highly surprised if this large group of people don't attempt to go to the airport to confront the demonstrators there.

If the police would be doing their job, they wouldn't need to.

I think the government is being held back by lets say "higher authorities"

Very good post.

What is their agenda?

Just because the govt was legally elected it don't mean they are necessarily good for the people. Take Hamas for example in Palistine, they too were legally elected and yet no one respects them, why should Thais be expected to support Toxin's terrorists with their drive by motorbike bombings and such?

How about we use George Bush's 04 victory as an example? They're probably the worst US Administration in history, but was elected in a (somewhat) democratic process. During that time, the country was just as polarized as Thailand is now.

Were the people who voted for Kerry extremely pissed off? Sure they were. But did they barricade themselves inside airports and hold the country hostage till Bush resigned? No. They did it the smart way. They spent the next 4 years educating the population, smearing Bush, and concentrated on bringing people to their side for the next election. They made sure their mistakes wouldn't happen again.

That's the civilized way of doing it. Not taking over airports and demonizing those who don't agree with you.

PAD agression protesters intimidate the media

Published on December 1, 2008;Mon, December 1, 2008 : Last updated 0:10 hours

Pickup of TV station staff fired at; reporters forced to take off T-shirts with peace message

A mobile TV technician and his driver almost got killed when they lost their way at an anti-government protest site yesterday.

Phanumart Jaihork, a TNN relay controller, said his pickup truck came under heavy gunfire from People's Alliance for Democracy guards at Don Mueang Airport. The vehicle carried the logos of the company and TV station on its sides and a microwave transmitter in its bed.

After getting lost, they stopped at a PAD checkpoint in front of the passenger terminal to ask the guards for directions, when bangs were heard. The guards told them to rush to a safe place in the building.

When the truck passed a second checkpoint, Phanumart and his driver heard many more shots so they speeded up. They found many bullet holes on the sides, tailgate and roof. No one was hurt.

PAD co-leader Amorn Amornratananont apologised to the two, saying the first bang misled the guards at the second checkpoint into believing that the intruders had set off an explosion to incite the protesters.

PAD supporters at rallying sites are keeping a close eye on reporters. They take photos of them and signal they should report only the good side of the PAD. Demonstration leaders designate specific areas for the media while reporters have to stay in groups for their own protection.

Ban Muang newspaper reporter Natthawut Karanyasophon said he was stunned when two PAD followers at Suvarnabhumi Airport told him to take off his white T-shirt marked with "Stop Violence". They told him the T-shirt missed the point as only the PAD was treated unfairly.

Other protesters surrounded Natthawut as they thought he was bullying them. PAD co-leader Saranyu Wongkrachang stepped in and moved the media's work centre to another area of the site.

Natthawut said the Thai Journalists' Association encouraged reporters to wear the T-shirt while they covered stories at Government House to call for peace. Although he did not fear the protesters, he changed to another T-shirt to avoid more trouble.

On Saturday night, PAD supporters also forced a woman reporter to take off her T-shirt with the same message.

Co-leader Somkiat Pongpaiboon said PAD's supporters at Suvarnabhumi do not carry lethal weapons and a weapons-check was very strict.

However, they are engaged in warfare and the protesters might fly into a rage at anytime so it would be hard to guarantee anybody's safety, he added.

-The Nation

LaoPo

Perhaps the army should be obliging them with this warfare.

Another day in PADland I am afraid and this is truly the voice of a madman.

And this is from a PAD supporting newspaper! Can't be long now before even the Army are ordered to grow some backbone and shoot some of these thugs.

With the global financial crisis in full swing, now is an especially dangerous time for Thailand to fall into political disarray. The country depends on tourism and exports, both of which are suffering big hits from the airport closures. Economic growth next year is expected to fall below 3%. :o

:D it might be a nightmare

the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228068180...mod=wsj_article

Phanumart Jaihork, a TNN relay controller, said his pickup truck came under heavy gunfire from People's Alliance for Democracy guards at Don Mueang Airport.

So much for peaceful unarmed protestors. How much will it take for everybody to notice that these are armed domestic terrorists?

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang meets City police chief Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew on Sunday to ask him to provide security following daily attack on protesters. is this a joke or what the nation

You mean this?

30089823-01.jpg

Explains a lot, doesn't it.

Edited by rainman

With the global financial crisis in full swing, now is an especially dangerous time for Thailand to fall into political disarray. The country depends on tourism and exports, both of which are suffering big hits from the airport closures. Economic growth next year is expected to fall below 3%. :o

:D it might be a nightmare

the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228068180...mod=wsj_article

I think a projection of growth in 2009 for economies like Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, and Indonesia of 0-2% is realistic, probably not even reaching 2%.

The nowadays protesters will suffer......bad and it will bounce back on the PAD and it's supporters, from the paid ones to the middle classes, elite and higher up.

Matter of time.

LaoPo

And you are not exagerating. No never.

My opinions of Thaksin are based on his own quoted words.

And his verifiable actions, convictions and historic motus operandi.

I see what I see, and that has been enough.

Your mileage does vary, doesn't mean my observations are wrong.

Maybe you just don't understand them. Not my problem.

I just had minor surgury on both hands and a foot,

and the meds are kicking in. I will not be doing long posts right now.

I can hear the sighs of relief and delight in some quarters.

Your "eye" avatar already suggests what you think of yourself. There's no need to rub it in by sarcastically indicating that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is unwise.

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang meets City police chief Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew on Sunday to ask him to provide security following daily attack on protesters. is this a joke or what the nation

You mean this?

30089823-01.jpg

Explains a lot, doesn't it.

With all the evidence of crimes committed to date: intimidation, kidnapping, trespass, inciting violence... not only does the Police chief not arrest the guy, he joins him for a friendly social catch-up!!

Law and order in Thailand has clearly now collapsed, alarming given the vacuum created by there being no Government in control and no leadership left...

And now for some good news:

Thais embarrassed by politics: Abac Poll

(BangkokPost.com) - A survey conducted by Abac Poll Research Center revealed that many Thai people were ashamed of the political turmoil and they preferred to stay politically neutral.

According to the poll, 76.5 per cent felt very embarrassed about the local political turbulence and the negative views of foreigners toward Thailand.

65.1 per cent said they would have less pride in the country, if the situation turns violent and intensifies. 92.3 per cent believed political problems can be solved by the justice system. 58.4 per cent said they will not take sides in politics.

This gives me hope that the majority of the population are still sane.