How Much Are Xenon Light Bulbs?

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Do you kknow how much to add some Xenon lights to a Toyota car and if the lights sold are as good as they are on a brand new cars ?

Where in Bangkok or Pattaya can they install these lights ?

Thanks.

What Toyota?

Most OEM HID/Xenon setups use 35W Ballasts and 4000 Kelvin bulbs. These are available in the aftermarket for anything from about 3,500 Baht (for no-name) up to ~15,000 Baht for name brands like Bosch, PIAA etc.

However, in most cases that's not the only thing you'll need to acheive a true "factory" equivelant setup. Most factory HID system use projectors (the only exception that springs to mind is the 2nd gen Yaris [NCP91], which was available with factory HID's using only reflectors in the Taiwan domestic market).

Then in most cases again, the full setup also includes headlamp washers and auto-levelling, as these are required for HID/Xenon to be road legal in most Western markets.

How far and how safe did you want to take it?

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hi,

Do you kknow how much to add some Xenon lights to a Toyota car and if the lights sold are as good as they are on a brand new cars ?

Thanks.

What Toyota?

Most OEM HID/Xenon setups use 35W Ballasts and 4000 Kelvin bulbs. These are available in the aftermarket for anything from about 3,500 Baht (for no-name) up to ~15,000 Baht for name brands like Bosch, PIAA etc.

However, in most cases that's not the only thing you'll need to acheive a true "factory" equivelant setup. Most factory HID system use projectors (the only exception that springs to mind is the 2nd gen Yaris [NCP91], which was available with factory HID's using only reflectors in the Taiwan domestic market).

Then in most cases again, the full setup also includes headlamp washers and auto-levelling, as these are required for HID/Xenon to be road legal in most Western markets.

15000 bht. ohmy.png for <deleted> head lights.

Hi,

Thanks.

What Toyota?

That's just for the bulbs and the ballasts (ballast = the "transformer" that runs them).

The projector housings that most HID/Xenon setups use (which is additional to the bulbs & ballasts) run around 30,000-60,000 Baht/pair as a genuine spare part (or 6K-20K/pr for aftermarket copies).

Hi,

Thanks.

What Toyota?

That's just for the bulbs and the ballasts (ballast = the "transformer" that runs them).

The projector housings that most HID/Xenon setups use (which is additional to the bulbs & ballasts) run around 30,000-60,000 Baht/pair as a genuine spare part (or 6K-20K/pr for aftermarket copies).

Christ, will stick to my candles or stay at home after dark eh. cowboy.gif

Christ, will stick to my candles or stay at home after dark eh. cowboy.gif

Yep. If you're going to do it correctly, you're definitely best off buying a model variant that already has them - doing it aftermarket (properly) is never going to make financial sense.

Says me who fitted xenon foglamps with projectors to my wife's old PJS, LOL ;)

Thanks, I want it cheap for an old Toyota Corolla that we only use sometimes (not a main car).

So to got cheap what should I buy ? 10000k is a maximum.

As noted, you can do a simple bulb upgrade for as little as 3500 Baht, but if using the existing reflector housings you will be one of those "<deleted>" who blinds oncoming traffic even on low beam, due to light bleed wink.png

There are some cheap-ish aftermarket projector housings for some Corolla's (Projectors won't blind oncoming traffic with HID/Xenon fitted), but you'd need to know the model before I could recommend a vendor/price.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I don't want to be one of these ass...

Toyota is 1995 Corolla, I'm ok to change complete projector if possible and doesn't look too good on this old car (don't want to look like one of these axxholes with a very old car that they try to improve!) but it's ok, this car is used few months a year only and mostly not by me :-)

1995 is right on the cusp of a major model change, so hard to know if it's an AE100 or AE111...

The good news is that projector housings for these models are cheap, the bad news is you will look like "one of these axxholes with a very old car that they try to improve" :)

Links:

http://www.rstyleracing.com/index.php?ProductID=Product-100601184368819

http://www.rstyleracing.com/index.php?ProductID=Product-100123150161832

Toyota is 1995 Corolla, I'm ok to change complete projector if possible and doesn't look too good on this old car (don't want to look like one of these axxholes with a very old car that they try to improve!) but it's ok, this car is used few months a year only and mostly not by me :-)

1995 is right on the cusp of a major model change, so hard to know if it's an AE100 or AE111...

The good news is that projector housings for these models are cheap, the bad news is you will look like "one of these axxholes with a very old car that they try to improve" smile.png

Links:

http://www.rstylerac...100601184368819

http://www.rstylerac...100123150161832

You must fit a rear wing to finish the job. biggrin.png Saw one the other day and it was fitted upside downcowboy.gif , think he wanted to go flying in it.laugh.png

What happened to the Halogen bulbs you could use as straight replacements at small cost?

Or am I showing my age now violin.gif

It's if you want to look trendy, remember the trendy wear dark sun glasses 24/7 so they need the big lights eh. laugh.png

My factory lights are really good, even with my own biological failing lamps. wai.gif

Hi,

Thanks.

ad Th spec Honda Accord 2008 and later

Hi,

Thanks.

Ahh yes, thanks :)

Note that in both cases, the reflectors used with HID/Xenon are very different to the reflectors used by models with halogen bulbs though (i.e. a totally different part with different beam pattern).

You should never retrofit HID/Xenon into a reflector housing designed for halogens - the light pattern will be wrong, and it will blind oncoming traffic.

On the same token though, if your car comes with OEM projectors but halogen bulbs, retrofitting HID/Xenon is fine, so long as you adjust the beam height correctly, and re-adjust it again as necessary when the vehicle is loaded.

My factory lights are really good, even with my own biological failing lamps. wai.gif

That's what I always thought too, but after owning 3 cars with factory projectors/xenon's, I'm hooked.

In fact, one of the reasons I haven't gone and made a booking for the new Ranger is because no models are available with projectors (hopefully a minor change will rectify that).

But before anyone suggests it, no, I won't by an Isuzu just to get projectors, and no, I won't buy a Chev, ever again wink.png

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

That's what I always thought too, but after owning 3 cars with factory projectors/xenon's, I'm hooked.

In fact, one of the reasons I haven't gone and made a booking for the new Ranger is because no models are available with projectors (hopefully a minor change will rectify that).

But before anyone suggests it, no, I won't by an Isuzu just to get projectors, and no, I won't buy a Chev, ever again wink.png

well to be fair Vigos factory lights are good for halogene, due to the very large relfectors

BT50 larger reflectors over Ranger is one small weight on the scale making me book a bt50

any factory halogen gain huge imrovements in light output by providing powersupply directly from battery. stock its 12,75 volt, directsupply in 2,5mm2 cabels is 13,8 to 14,4 volt depending on how good alternator is. up to 100% light output gained

even my mazda2 has got this treatment. I find this light better than crap HID/xenon solutions

well to be fair Vigos factory lights are good for halogene, due to the very large relfectors

BT50 larger reflectors over Ranger is one small weight on the scale making me book a bt50

any factory halogen gain huge imrovements in light output by providing powersupply directly from battery. stock its 12,75 volt, directsupply in 2,5mm2 cabels is 13,8 to 14,4 volt depending on how good alternator is. up to 100% light output gained

even my mazda2 has got this treatment. I find this light better than crap HID/xenon solutions

When you look at the thought that has gone into the factory reflector on the Vigo it's easy to see how they got the stock bulbs to do so much work.

What happened to the Halogen bulbs you could use as straight replacements at small cost?

Or am I showing my age now violin.gif

The car in question likely already has halogens - they've been out for a while now wink.png Xenon is several magnitudes brighter than halogen.

Yeah but you can also get an HID system that ups the wattage on halogens so that you can use higher watt bulbs and it's quite cheap in comparison and does provide upgraded lighting without going over the top, it comes with a ballast of some sort and wiring harness..

Don't know where they're available unfortunately but I just bought a car that had it already installed and at first I thought it was another one of those times there were minor problems with the lighting and a Thai had bypassed the OEM wiring but more investigation proved otherwise.

Hi,

Thanks.

Ahh yes, thanks smile.png

Note that in both cases, the reflectors used with HID/Xenon are very different to the reflectors used by models with halogen bulbs though (i.e. a totally different part with different beam pattern).

You should never retrofit HID/Xenon into a reflector housing designed for halogens - the light pattern will be wrong, and it will blind oncoming traffic.

On the same token though, if your car comes with OEM projectors but halogen bulbs, retrofitting HID/Xenon is fine, so long as you adjust the beam height correctly, and re-adjust it again as necessary when the vehicle is loaded.

I found out that this isn't just due to the light pattern, first off where does one even get headlamps properly aimed here?

Secondly who actually even does that on their own vehicle once? It's required back home or used to be anyways..

Thirdly When aiming my own headlamps on a blank wall with a tape measure I noticed that the headlamps are not made to be aimed on right drive cars they're standard for left drive cars and as a such the aiming adjustments are very limited when trying to aim to the left as they should be to avoid the eyes of oncoming traffic..

This is one of those universally applicable cost cutting measures they can get away with as they're adequate but not correct so no one produces right drive specific headlamps..

sure there are RHD azymetric headlights available, all my new car purchses in Th have had them, even my Ninja has it

adjusting light, at DLT and main dealers and at some bike dealers

No they're not on older vehicles, can't say about newer ones, besides I thought this thread was about cars? It's a fair bit less costly on a motorcy and easier to make available..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The good news is that projector housings for these models are cheap, the bad news is you will look like "one of these axxholes with a very old car that they try to improve" smile.png

Links:

http://www.rstylerac...100601184368819

http://www.rstylerac...100123150161832

Thank you so much ! Yes, quite cheap, but I might never drive this car again with these projectors ! hahahaha......

Is there any other solution as adding HID on the front lower part of the car (Don't know how are these small round shape lights called ) ?

Thanks you so much again !