Pr And Retirement Extensions

I have seen a few times postings which state that you can not apply for PR if you have been staying on retirement extensions. Is this an absolute prohibition or is there a way around it?

I get an occupational pension paid in the UK with tax deducted at source by the UK Inland Revenue. I could elect to pay the tax in Thailand and avoid the UK tax under the double taxation treaty between the two countries.

I would therefore be paying tax in Thailand, which is one of the requirements for PR. However this would be pointless if I am disqualified because I have been staying on retirement extensions.

I know there are plenty of other hoops to jump through, but at this stage I am just interested if it is a complete non-starter or not.

The problem with retirement is that you don't pay tax. Paying (a fair amount of ) tax is a key element in getting PR. So if you can choose to pay tax in Thailand instead of the UK then you would qualify. The amount of tax you pay will be taken in consideration.

The problem with retirement is that you don't pay tax. Paying (a fair amount of ) tax is a key element in getting PR. So if you can choose to pay tax in Thailand instead of the UK then you would qualify. The amount of tax you pay will be taken in consideration.

Criteria for PR from Thai immigration web site http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/do...tion4extend.doc

Criteria for PR from Thai immigration web site http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/do...tion4extend.doc

Thanks for that.

I have already read this and this doesn't, as far as I can see, preclude those whose extensions have been based on "retirement" applying. Obviously there many other conditions that have to be met.

My point is that I have seen a number of posts wherein it has been stated that those on "retirement" extensions can't apply for PR. It may be that the posts were inaccurate and should have said that those who do not pay income tax can't apply. However this is a crucial point for me and I want to be as clear as I can be on this.

Do you have a specific reason for thinking of doing this?

I take your point about the desirability of PR. For me the main reason would be peace of mind; they can always change the rules on retirement extensions, but PR is for keeps.

Right now I am just trying to establish if PR is a possibility. If it's not available to me then I won't waste any more time thinking about it.

Do you have a specific reason for thinking of doing this?

I take your point about the desirability of PR. For me the main reason would be peace of mind; they can always change the rules on retirement extensions, but PR is for keeps.

Right now I am just trying to establish if PR is a possibility. If it's not available to me then I won't waste any more time thinking about it.

PR is definitely worth having for peace of mind.

Immigration has a habit of making abrupt rule changes, normally making it more and more difficult to stay, that could quite conceivably see any retiree find himself or herself unable to renew a Non-Imm visa and have to leave the country. Picture getting told you have to relocate in your sunset years. Also, PR holders do not have to report every 90 days, and assuming they don't want to leave the country never have to travel to immigration. PR holders while residing in Thailand only need to visit their local police station every 5 years and keep their passport current.

With PR, you can stay forever, no matter what new criteria are imposed on temporary resident Non-Imm visa holders. If I was old and getting frail, that would be a very important consideration to me.

I was always of the understanding that tax payments is a consideration for PR, thus precluding retirees. It's a long time since I went through the PR process, and I did not apply as a retiree, so others on this forum might like to add their comments. Or, better still, go and find out the latest at immigration - they are usually helpful if you are polite to them.

Until recently it was impossible to get a work permit on a retirement extension. Now it is possible in some provinces. The type of annual extension is not a criterion, but local income with taxes paid on it is.

--

Maestro

Varying Exchange rates also make retirement a difficult option. :o

A good tax record is a requirement for a PR and that is where most retirees will fail.

However your plan may suffice.

Good luck

The type of annual extension is not a criterion, but local income with taxes paid on it is.

--

Maestro

That really is the crucial point.

Thanks for all your help guys. I can now ponder my situation at leisure while I get my Thai up to speed!