Condo/hotel Lease Issue

gk10002000

I am in the central pattaya residence up off soi yumai. I checked in November 4 for what I thought was a routine one month. I discussed it with the man and it was a simple 7,000 baht up front, with a 7000 baht deposit. No problem. I scanned the lease and pencil whipped a few pages of the lease form. It looked routine.

There was never any doubt that I only wanted one month. The lease seemed to say that. I was just reading it over again today, and I noticed a few words in a sentence that I missed that said something about minimum of three months is the term! Now, there was never any doubt that I was only staying one month.

Any suggestions? I have no plans to fork over two months "cancelation" penalty of 14,000 baht as I don't think it applies!

I haven't talked to the man yet. I plan to do it tomorrow, as December 3rd is my expected check out date.

Who would I talk to in case he interpretes things differently and all of a sudden has a memory lapse and does not speak english any more? Would the TAT be of any use? This is clearly a misunderstanding and may involve a simple clause that I missed but I did ask about in advance as I had made my intentions very clear up front. I would even give the guy some tea money orlett him keep a few thousand baht just because I hate to argue.

I am in the central pattaya residence up off soi yumai. I checked in November 4 for what I thought was a routine one month. I discussed it with the man and it was a simple 7,000 baht up front, with a 7000 baht deposit. No problem. I scanned the lease and pencil whipped a few pages of the lease form. It looked routine.

There was never any doubt that I only wanted one month. The lease seemed to say that. I was just reading it over again today, and I noticed a few words in a sentence that I missed that said something about minimum of three months is the term! Now, there was never any doubt that I was only staying one month.

Any suggestions? I have no plans to fork over two months "cancelation" penalty of 14,000 baht as I don't think it applies!

I haven't talked to the man yet. I plan to do it tomorrow, as December 3rd is my expected check out date.

Who would I talk to in case he interpretes things differently and all of a sudden has a memory lapse and does not speak english any more? Would the TAT be of any use? This is clearly a misunderstanding and may involve a simple clause that I missed but I did ask about in advance as I had made my intentions very clear up front. I would even give the guy some tea money orlett him keep a few thousand baht just because I hate to argue.

Worst case - he won't remember and you have to argue the point and maybe only end up paying for one more month (by forfeiting your deposit). I would then discuss the issue of paying "less" than the 7K to him to walk away.

You can't go and see anyone to involve them in this, as you have signed a document commiting you to 3 months, whatever the verbal discussions.

It might be OK and he does remember the 1 month stipulation, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Worst case - he won't remember and you have to argue the point and maybe only end up paying for one more month (by forfeiting your deposit). I would then discuss the issue of paying "less" than the 7K to him to walk away.

You can't go and see anyone to involve them in this, as you have signed a document commiting you to 3 months, whatever the verbal discussions.

It might be OK and he does remember the 1 month stipulation, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

There are two sentences in the lease that say different things. One clearly says for one month, page one. Another sentence may say three, the wording is not clear. To me it is ambiguous and the two contradict each other. There is little doubt that with my standard 30 day on arrival visa and my pre-paid return ticket home with a date shortly after that the 30 day lease ended, that I only expected a 30 day stay.

I will see what happens.

There are two sentences in the lease that say different things. One clearly says for one month, page one. Another sentence may say three, the wording is not clear. To me it is ambiguous and the two contradict each other. There is little doubt that with my standard 30 day on arrival visa and my pre-paid return ticket home with a date shortly after that the 30 day lease ended, that I only expected a 30 day stay.

I will see what happens.

You left that material part out of your original post (1 page saying 1 month, 1 page saying 3). But my view does not change. That - and the ancillary evidence you refer to - would only be relevant if you want to litigate, and i doubt you want to (and I would advise that you don't).

Please let us know how you got on.

Good luck.

I will see what happens.

You left that material part out of your original post (1 page saying 1 month, 1 page saying 3). But my view does not change. That - and the ancillary evidence you refer to - would only be relevant if you want to litigate, and i doubt you want to (and I would advise that you don't).

Please let us know how you got on.

Good luck.

I understand. How about I just leave? Let him keep the 7,000 deposit. Heck, he will just rent the room the next day. Not like he is losing any money.

Anybody ever skip out before?

Well, everything worked out fine. He even liked me when I pointed out I had not been charged for water. He added that on to the bill and said come back in one hour. No problem. I know he wanted me to stay as I had the worse room in the house, right next to some shop out back that in the morning likes to act like a rooster with their loud music. I still never did figure out what it does. Looks like a bottle recycling pickup or central depot place?

This was a good lesson though. I usually read things very carefully and thought it was crystal clear.

Now, back to Holiday thoughts. Stay in Patters or head out of town for a while. I think I will just get a room for a week and see how the airports shape up. Although there do seem to be some decent monthly rentals out here. For a semi-long stay it is tough to beat 6000 or 8000 baht a month. My needs are modest. All I want is clean and quiet and a bed on the soft side. After this hotel, I am probably going to invest in a pad if I stay in one place long enough.

By the way the electric was 760 baht, and the water was 122 baht I think. Funny thing is the electric bill was all ready in the morning before I even went downstairs. So who knows what readings they were using.

I must say I stayed at the Rattakit right next door for one week. I really liked those rooms. They had a sense of substance to them and were not just white stucco. Some wood and wicker trim and chair rails. The bathroom was nice. Small kitchen area, outside balcony with sink. A bit more expensive so I picked this other place. There is construction going on out the back of Rattakit. Once that wraps up, that could be a nice condo to stay at. Both these places are off of Soi Yume, right across from Carre Four. Decent outdoor swimming pool for 50 baht a day right down the road just past Nantana Garden. Place was called Casablanca.

All in all, things are good.

Well, everything worked out fine. He even liked me when I pointed out I had not been charged for water. He added that on to the bill and said come back in one hour. No problem. I know he wanted me to stay as I had the worse room in the house, right next to some shop out back that in the morning likes to act like a rooster with their loud music. I still never did figure out what it does. Looks like a bottle recycling pickup or central depot place?

This was a good lesson though. I usually read things very carefully and thought it was crystal clear.

Now, back to Holiday thoughts. Stay in Patters or head out of town for a while. I think I will just get a room for a week and see how the airports shape up. Although there do seem to be some decent monthly rentals out here. For a semi-long stay it is tough to beat 6000 or 8000 baht a month. My needs are modest. All I want is clean and quiet and a bed on the soft side. After this hotel, I am probably going to invest in a pad if I stay in one place long enough.

By the way the electric was 760 baht, and the water was 122 baht I think. Funny thing is the electric bill was all ready in the morning before I even went downstairs. So who knows what readings they were using.

I must say I stayed at the Rattakit right next door for one week. I really liked those rooms. They had a sense of substance to them and were not just white stucco. Some wood and wicker trim and chair rails. The bathroom was nice. Small kitchen area, outside balcony with sink. A bit more expensive so I picked this other place. There is construction going on out the back of Rattakit. Once that wraps up, that could be a nice condo to stay at. Both these places are off of Soi Yume, right across from Carre Four. Decent outdoor swimming pool for 50 baht a day right down the road just past Nantana Garden. Place was called Casablanca.

All in all, things are good.

Great news. I'm glad it turned out Ok against the odds!

Best wishes,

Alan