Helping Those Stranded In Pattaya

MeetJohnDoe

I was speaking to a single male tourist this morning who said that his "extended vacation" was really starting to pinch him financially (in both current expenditures and lost earnings). However, he said the companion he has been with for 2 weeks during his trip has graciously offer to put him up in her room for free during the remaining duration of his stay and he has accepted the offer. He will be loosing the air-con but that's not a problem this time of year and she has cable he said. He also said other "incidentals" were also going to be thrown in gratis :o

I wonder how much of this is going on as few/any new tourists have arrived for over a week and many that are stuck here may be running low on funds?

I was speaking to a single male tourist this morning who said that his "extended vacation" was really starting to pinch him financially (in both current expenditures and lost earnings). However, he said the companion he has been with for 2 weeks during his trip has graciously offer to put him up in her room for free during the remaining duration of his stay and he has accepted the offer. He will be loosing the air-con but that's not a problem this time of year and she has cable he said. He also said other "incidentals" were also going to be thrown in gratis :o

I wonder how much of this is going on as few/any new tourists have arrived for over a week and many that are stuck here may be running low on funds?

There might be quite a few people who are stranded and left without money for "incidentals." Staying in Thailand while short on cash can be very uncomfortable times...I've been there myself. Fortunately, those days are long gone, hopefully never to return.

There might be quite a few people who are stranded and left without money for "incidentals." Staying in Thailand while short on cash can be very uncomfortable times...I've been there myself. Fortunately, those days are long gone, hopefully never to return.

did n't realise the pattaya bar girls had a social welfare plan for farangs,thought they were more like the private hospitals "you dont get fixed up unless you pay"

did n't realise the pattaya bar girls had a social welfare plan for farangs,thought they were more like the private hospitals "you dont get fixed up unless you pay"

Actually, they were pretty good about it in my case. But those were also known assoicates at places where I would frequent and where I knew the mamasan/manager/owner.

I see two possibilities:

1) The lady in question is jai dee, and now she takes care of him who took care of her before

2) The lady is taking care of him hoping that he will send her some money later

The reality is probably some of both.

Maybe 1, maybe 2, but if the guy is running low I don't suppose he minds either way. I know if I were in that situation I'd consider it a matter of concience to send her some money when I got sorted out.

Being rational, you could get a roof over your head for Bt100 a day (Bt3000 a month) and eat for another Bt100 a day. Even staying in a cheap hotel at perhaps Bt400 a day with a few beers and food could be done for Bt1000 a day. That is only £100 a week or so and who cannot afford that ?

I see two possibilities:

1) The lady in question is jai dee, and now she takes care of him who took care of her before

Maybe 1, maybe 2, but if the guy is running low I don't suppose he minds either way. I know if I were in that situation I'd consider it a matter of concience to send her some money when I got sorted out.

That is exactly what I did. I got back home, got myself sorted out, got a job and the next time I went back to Thailand; I returned the generosity to all the people who helped me in my time of need. After all, what goes around, comes around...

This particular tourist must have had a "spend today and don't worry about tomorrow" type holiday.

His bank account back home must show a 'nil' balance, he has run out of travellers cheques and/or he has lost his Visa card.

If he genuinely is in a financial predicament I hope he plans a lot better for his next trip.

This particular tourist must have had a "spend today and don't worry about tomorrow" type holiday.

His bank account back home must show a 'nil' balance, he has run out of travellers cheques and/or he has lost his Visa card.

If he genuinely is in a financial predicament I hope he plans a lot better for his next trip.

yeah I always plan for civil war, plague, 50 year floods etc when I travel. what was he thinking :o

on my next trip back to america I just wont walk around tall buildings just in case :D

Being rational, you could get a roof over your head for Bt100 a day (Bt3000 a month) and eat for another Bt100 a day. Even staying in a cheap hotel at perhaps Bt400 a day with a few beers and food could be done for Bt1000 a day. That is only £100 a week or so and who cannot afford that ?

Who cannot afford that? A guy partying a la MM's scenario, all cash gone, CC maxed out never a thought for holding back a contingency allowance. It happens all too often, just hope he's got the taxi fare to the airport. Also he needs to consider his visa or visa exempt validity. I believe immigration are giving extensions of stay out for free for genuine cases.

He's just an average "Joe Tourist," works in the war zone in Iraq...not rich and not poor. He's been here a couple weeks (been before so not a newbie) and spent his time with just one lady. Doesn't drink much but just budgeted for 2 weeks and has had to stay about a week more already. He even did the trip "upcountry" for a few days.

He seems the friendly type and not foolish with his money. I think he was fair and so his companion is just returning the favor. As no new guys have been able to get to town for a week also, she's probably figures just hang onto the one she's got for now...not losing anything in the deal anyway.

The only looser is the hotel...he said the manager was complaining big time about all the money/ bookings he was loosing.

I see two possibilities:

As would I...pay my expenses + a nice tip.

And I would be sure to look her up on the next trip.

Depends if you have blown your whole budget on the assumption of going back to work to earn the next holiday! I know I always used to be down to my last travellers cheque before going home when I came on holidays.

He's just an average "Joe Tourist," works in the war zone in Iraq...not rich and not poor. He's been here a couple weeks (been before so not a newbie) and spent his time with just one lady. Doesn't drink much but just budgeted for 2 weeks and has had to stay about a week more already. He even did the trip "upcountry" for a few days.

Hmmmm. Most of the guys I know working in Iraq are making beaucoup $$ (big money). Like me, most get paid holidays, so we are banking bucks even when we are spanking......never mind. :o

He could have other reasons for being short (on money), but these days ? Good job, good money, ATM cards, Credit Cards.

If you have a good credit history, even if you've maxed out your card, a quick call the issuer can often get your limit bumped up quite a bit. When I was making a whack of withdrawals on my MC and Visa cards to pay for the Harley back in April, the payments I had been making (in advance of the withdrawals) weren't being processed fast enough.

As a result, even though I was technically in a "credit" balance, to the card companies it looked like I was maxed out. I called each of them up, explained what I was doing and bingo, both limits were raised over $2,000 each.

(It ended up taking 10 days for all the withdrawals and payments to finally catch up and put me back at "0" balance).

I mentioned in another thread, I learned a bit of lesson about money on my first trip to Thailand and ever since I always travel prepared. Hopefully this lad will have learnt a lesson as well. Sounds like he's gotten a bit lucky (in more ways than one) already.

Should always have some back up money in case of emergencies when you are traveling. I would never dream of going to the other side of the world with just enough spending money and nothing for emergencies.

Come on now. I've seen your pictures. You could probably travel around the world, have a great time, come home with lots of gifts, and not spend a penny of your own money ! :D

But you are right. Always have something stashed away. If you don't need it great, save it for the next trip. But if the unexpected happens, it's there when you need it most.

(I don't know if anyone will take that $20 dollar bill I've had hidden in my shoe for the last 2 years though !) :o

Why didn't he take the 2000 baht per day allowance the TAT have been offering stranded tourists?

He seems the friendly type and not foolish with his money. I think he was fair and so his companion is just returning the favor. As no new guys have been able to get to town for a week also, she's probably figures just hang onto the one she's got for now...not losing anything in the deal anyway.

The only looser is the hotel...he said the manager was complaining big time about all the money/ bookings he was loosing.

If it was the hotel I was staying at, I hope they do feel the pinch. Stayed there in July, 500 bht a day, back in November 700 bht day for so called high season ( despite many empty rooms and very quiet all over ).

Why didn't he take the 2000 baht per day allowance the TAT have been offering stranded tourists?

Have you seen the "fine print" for this offer? From what I have read in the press, it's more like vaporware or vapor-assistance! More a public relations stunt and comes with lots of conditions. Does anyone know of someone who has actually received this assistance?

I see two possibilities:

Yes i agree, there is no such thing as a free lunch ( or accomadation ) in those circles :o

I see two possibilities:

Yes i agree, there is no such thing as a free lunch ( or accomadation ) in those circles :o

But there is plenty of jai dee to be found, even in those circles, if a person looks for it.