Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

Hd:

as always the season of November till before Christmas is low and has been for the past 9 years.

Could you, while you´re at it, please provide a link to any resort/hotel on koh samui that has december listed as "low season".

You are just posting bogus and im on to you.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spoke to mate today who has just returned from phuket,stayed at kata beach for a sailing regatta,said the place was packed...............did n't go to patong so could n't say if that place was busy too.I think all this is sad for Samui.As everyone has said its so much cheaper to get to places like phuket and krabi,and particularly in phuket the place has a lot more to offer in way of tourist attractions,events etc,plus their beaches are far superior and the infrastructure better too.I really think those that run the island(samui)will have to wake up to the obvious that samui will not recover unless some serious money is spent on infrastructure,and air travel is made cheaper too.

REgarding BKK Airways cost i don't think getting free ticket to Samui from BKK will make any difference after having payed the ticket from europe (some airlines still charge 300E only for fuel surcharge...) :o

Last June I flew r/t Samui-BKK-Helsinki. Samui-BKK cost about one third of BKK-Helsinki. Make of that what you will.

well, i was thinking this peak season, 1200E AF/KLM/LH .....

and last year until 20 dec was low season for all medium -high resort.

this year they moved all december in high season and xmas on peak and usual 20% increase.

maybe everybody should start asking for a fixed 50% discount on everything! :D

If EVEN BKK AIR is doing the first ever discounts .....

On the south end of Lamai beach, the one with only 5 star resort, the stray dogs outnumbered the turists...

The first family with children that will go there will be happy with 5 dogs running around.

Edited by samui04

Someone just phoned my (ex's) hotel in Phuket and tried haggling for a big discount on a room, citing the airport problems, political problems etc etc.

I let them whine on for a couple of minutes before replying 'the hotel is completely full for the next 2 weeks - sorry!'

:o

Simon

and last year until 20 dec was low season for all medium -high resort.

You might be confusing PEAK season which is around the end of December and HIGH season.

Now, this is funny - I just looked at Bandara Resort and they do have low season in December - for SIX days. That's obviously something changed recently for the cancellations due to the airport in BKK being closed.

Low Season

Dec 16, 2008 -

Dec 21, 2008

http://www.kohsamui-info.com/hotels/index.html

2. as always the season of November till before Christmas is low and has been for the past 9 years.

Let me butt in here real quick and point out that there isn't a resort on the island that has December as low season.

Carry on.

Let me let you butt right out again & beg to differ with you & agree with Highdiver.They have changed the dates a bit, used to be low seaon till about the 23 rd of December,but now high season starts a bit earlier. No resort on the island? Check out Lamai Wanta.

the last 9 years have allways been quiet at the beginning of December.

while some hotels still right this as high season most of them will give agentsa low season fair for up to December 20th.

while some of our newer members seem to think this is a new phenomena it is not. it has been going on for years.

i am sure that this year will finish with higher tourist arrivals then 2007. year on year. and i am quite sure that the economic turmoil around the world will be felt in 2009. i am also sure that those involved in this sector ... (on the contrary to those who have nothing to do with it.).. will try and do anything they can to promote samui because they are invested in it and would not like to loose.

the lower fuel cost now will reduce airfares and at the end of the day a holiday in Thailand at large and samui in particular is still a fraction of any other European destination.

its is a regular thing that this debate about Samui status has taken place every low season..mid November to mid December and in the month of mid may till July.. off course every time there are those that see dooms day and there are those who know that there is a cycle here that repeat itself.

an over supply of hotels and rooms is going to make each hotel have less occupancy and this was debated as well. last year and this year again.

last year we had the same debate and the year before that as well. with the eception of a certain Scandinavian dooms day visitor who has no idea or knowledge about anything including and not limited to tourists, electric lights consumption, engineering, airline pricing etc..intact apart from ignorant inflammatory remarks his contribution to this discussion as well as other debates is limited to flaming.

if you dont like Samui and everything here is bad rotten and foul then please do something to make it better.. instead of wining all day..

for some o f us this place is home. with all its problems and fauts its still home if you dont like it go back to where you came from and please don't come back..

while some hotels still right this as high season most of them will give agentsa low season fair for up to December 20th.

while some of our newer members seem to think this is a new phenomena it is not. it has been going on for years.

i am sure that this year will finish with higher tourist arrivals then 2007. year on year. and i am quite sure that the economic turmoil around the world will be felt in 2009. i am also sure that those involved in this sector ... (on the contrary to those who have nothing to do with it.).. will try and do anything they can to promote samui because they are invested in it and would not like to loose.

the lower fuel cost now will reduce airfares and at the end of the day a holiday in Thailand at large and samui in particular is still a fraction of any other European destination.

its is a regular thing that this debate about Samui status has taken place every low season..mid November to mid December and in the month of mid may till July.. off course every time there are those that see dooms day and there are those who know that there is a cycle here that repeat itself.

an over supply of hotels and rooms is going to make each hotel have less occupancy and this was debated as well. last year and this year again.

last year we had the same debate and the year before that as well. with the eception of a certain Scandinavian dooms day visitor who has no idea or knowledge about anything including and not limited to tourists, electric lights consumption, engineering, airline pricing etc..intact apart from ignorant inflammatory remarks his contribution to this discussion as well as other debates is limited to flaming.

if you dont like Samui and everything here is bad rotten and foul then please do something to make it better.. instead of wining all day..

for some o f us this place is home. with all its problems and fauts its still home if you dont like it go back to where you came from and please don't come back..

Yesssssssssss,well said.All these armchair critics.When you watch TV, if you don't like what you see you change channels. Same as where you are.If you don't like it, greener pastures around the corner or over the horizon. Some people just like to complain.

2. as always the season of November till before Christmas is low and has been for the past 9 years.

Let me butt in here real quick and point out that there isn't a resort on the island that has December as low season.

Carry on.

Let me let you butt right out again & beg to differ with you & agree with Highdiver.They have changed the dates a bit, used to be low seaon till about the 23 rd of December,but now high season starts a bit earlier. No resort on the island? Check out Lamai Wanta.

Nice example the Vanta.

I asked in september and they said that dec and jan was very full and the price from 16 Dec'08 - 20 Apr'09 (they have a peak seson verrry long) of the cheapest room was 2400b. Maybe they were joking, last year it was 1800b untile 16 jan, the correct end of the peak season.

But who knows, they are for sure very very full.

Your habbit of making long posts and avoiding answers dont stop. Did you or did you not go to a meeting with hoteliers and samui tourism assosiation where they claimed tourist numbers for this year is up compared to last year?

Btw, you are the one that constanty need to put flaming in your posts. I am way beyond that behavior. I am an adult and enjoy discussions. No need to be so agressive. Just answer the simple question.

You lied your heart out didnt you? You infact show very limited knowledge as usual. Samui is empty. From tourists. And i love it. This is my home aswell and i´m not dumb enough to be depending in any tourist related buisness. The ones who are is easily spotted in this thread. :o

Your habbit of making long posts and avoiding answers dont stop. Did you or did you not go to a meeting with hoteliers and samui tourism assosiation where they claimed tourist numbers for this year is up compared to last year?

hey, mattias33, just check the TAT statistics in the net to close this matter...

The bold part is my whole point. Thats what i would expect, but still i see nothing being done to bring tourists here. The taxi situation nobody care to solve, hotel pricing, airfares. Infact YOU claim you are deeply involved in this buisness and when i read your posts you seem quite happy with everything as it is. "tourist numbers are going up". Thats what scares me. If everybody in this buisness lokk at samui tourism with as rose coulored glasses as you do, no wonder hotels are closing and staff being fired everyday around here now.

Wake up and smell the reality.

The bold part is my whole point. Thats what i would expect, but still i see nothing being done to bring tourists here. The taxi situation nobody care to solve, hotel pricing, airfares. Infact YOU claim you are deeply involved in this buisness and when i read your posts you seem quite happy with everything as it is. "tourist numbers are going up". Thats what scares me. If everybody in this buisness lokk at samui tourism with as rose coulored glasses as you do, no wonder hotels are closing and staff being fired everyday around here now.

Wake up and smell the reality.

Mattias,

Have you got so much invested in Samui to get to this state?Your questions have been answered by several posters,but you seem not to want to acknowldge any of the above responses.

:D This topic has become like a ping-pong battle between a few members with no winners.

Let's try to focus on the facts, Samui/Phangan/Tao related.

To begin with: TAT doesn't supply the tourist statistics anymore (I mentioned that a few times already); instead it's now handled by the so called Office of Tourism Development who publish the numbers they receive from the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police as well from another source which I don't know the name of, and which source publishes the so called "Guest Arrivals at Accommodation Establishments"

If one wants to study and talk tourism to the three islands it's important to realize that there are three major groups of tourists:

* Thai tourists

** Asians -South & East Asians)

*** Westerners (Europe/USA/OZ/NZ

* The number of Thai tourists is a minority coming to Samui/Phangan/Tao but they are tourists who can afford it. See numbers below. But in general, Thai tourists count for -more or less- 10% of the foreign tourist numbers.

I had a look at the statistics for Eastern Thailand, like Trad, Koh Chang, Koh Mak etc. for (Guest arrivals at Accommodation Establishments -YES they call it that way!) and the number of Thai tourists to Koh Chang for instance dropped dramatically in the period April>June with -23.14%; or: from 132.000 to 101.000 Thai tourists to Koh Chang.

The number of foreign tourists dropped slightly with 3.53% or from 48.538 to 46.827 (including Asians)

** The numbers of Asians who traveled to Koh Chang are not important as they are low, in numbers, versus the high majority of Thai and second place Westerners

*** see: *

I know it cannot be compared with Samui but the tourist numbers to Pattaya for instance are a real drama.

Pattaya: April>June 2008:

Thai: -60,56% or from 466.808/2007 to 184.088 in 2008

Foreigners: -48.46% or from 1.064.427/2007 to 548.651 in 2008

These numbers are shocking and not even part of the 2nd half of 2008; the problem is that the statistics from the new website of the Office of Tourism Development**** are a real pain to ''read'' on their website and published only after some months; TAT's website was much easier although as slow as now.

If one looks at the incoming foreign tourists for October is shows that Suvarnabhumi had almost 100,000 tourists less in 2008 than in 2007; a drop of -11% !

Phuket: April>June 2008:

Thai tourists: -23%

Foreigners: -12,7%

But: the 'good news' is :o

Samui: Jan>March 2008:

Thai: +39.31% from 15.997/2007 to 22.285

Foreigners: +6.56% from 227.116/2007 to 242.026

Samui: April>June 2008:

Thai: + 11.05% from 24.214/2007 to 26.889 in 2008

Foreigners: +4.73% from 188.936/2007 to 197.880 in 2008

Koh Phangan: Jan>March 2008:

Thai: +29,84% from 8.193/2007 to 10.638 in 2008

Foreigners: +5.97% from 85.284/2007 to 90.372 in 2008

Koh Phangan: April>June 2008:

Thai: -17.34% from 12.559/2007 to 10.381 in 2008

Foreigners: +10.90% from 75.783/2007 to 84.046

My own -personal- conclusion is that up to/including June 2008, tourism to Samui and Phangan is up, generally spoken (no figures for Tao).

BUT....the inbound tourism numbers to Samui in April>June from states/countries like Japan, Taiwan, but also Finland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain as well as the UK, dropped dramatic, with percentages from 10-60% !!!

However, the numbers from July onwards are not published yet and I fear that the overall number of tourists to Samui/Phangan/Tao for 2008 will decrease rather than increase.

WHY ? because some other numbers are already known, like inbound tourists via Suvarnabhumi but it is to early yet to draw a final conclusion for 2008 but I'll bet that overall Thai INBOUND tourism will drop, severely, versus 2007.

ALL figures/numbers, above are from the website below.

**** http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=25

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

'samuibeachcomber'

Simon43 said his place was booked up for the next 2 weeks.

No, that's not what he said. He said: "my (ex's) hotel."

And the post was off topic as it was about Phuket.

I am interested in the "official" figures showing increased numbers of tourists this year in Samui. Just eyeballing the situation in Lamai over the past year, it's pretty clear that all those people, should the numbers be accurate, are not staying in Lamai.

who knew a thread could go this long, most points I have to agree with high diver though. I myself have dealings with koh samui, and my business, also for me this year was much better than last year had more guests come, do believe next year though will go down but we already have plans to try to keep on going, plus finding ways of keeping costs down but guests happy. I have a large number of employee's will do the best to keep those who are good workers. I believe customers are still coming at least from advanced reservations I have by end of DEC 30th have 85% occupancy in hotel, around jan and feb I have bookings of 50% so for now good so far. Only competent, competitive, smart, good customer service, hotels will survive, those will good business plans, I Am more willing to help customers with stay but try within an amount to stay at least profitable - breaking even if possible. Remember that most people tend to forgot over time or those who have comed to thailand many times will come back, even before this incident with the hotel we had a GLOBAL RECESSION going on and will last until late 2009 early 2010. For those people who say tourism is dead or going down, maybe everyone should be more realistic as NOBODY HAS A CRYSTAL BALL and NOBODY TRULY KNOWS WHAT THE IMPACT WILL BE OR HOW BAD IT WILL BE. For those of you who whine and complain like babies about samui, here's an idea, pack your bags and go back to where your from.

I am interested in the "official" figures showing increased numbers of tourists this year in Samui. Just eyeballing the situation in Lamai over the past year, it's pretty clear that all those people, should the numbers be accurate, are not staying in Lamai.

Mark, the numbers I supplied for Samui & Phangan are the official numbers from the link I posted.

I have seen a lot of talk on this thread and so called evidence but nobody gave facts, except maybe for their own premises.

It could very well be that certain areas or beaches are more influenced by tourism than others and certain hotels/guesthouses will be better occupied than others.

BUT, we have to start somewhere, don't we ? And, as nobody else came up with real numbers, I supplied some but it's not me who invented those numbers.

Also, the numbers are for the first 6 months of 2008 and nothing is fixed or reality, as of now. We have to wait for February/March 2009 before we will know the real facts for 2008.

LaoPo

Although a few weeks ago now, I noticed Samui was very quiet, a drive down Chaweng beach the only people were the time share guys.....Hua Hin and Cha am are absolutly booming now....I think logisticaly Samui is badly placed, too far from BKK and only one very expensive airline. A return ticket for someone from the UK would now be almost 200 pounds, so a family of four.....do the maths, it just isnt worth the money any more...Samui needs cheaper air tickets and some real positive marketing, maybe then the tourists will return

The following quote was posted today on the Hua Hin forum and it is high season there.

'Hua Hin is the best it's been in years. Not much traffic and not so many annoying tourists'

Lets just keep things in prospective here it is quiet all over Thailand and remember it is still LOW season here and it will be until the week before Christmas it always has been.

Some people on this forum remind me of the undertaker in Dad's Army well forgive me if I am not joining in we're all doomed.

Tried to book hotel for someone last week in Cha Am....EVERYWHERE FULL.... had to rent a condo....

Tried to book hotel for someone last week in Cha Am....EVERYWHERE FULL.... had to rent a condo....

That doesn't necessarily mean Cha Am is full of tourists; there could have been one or more conventions or (government.....) meetings of some sort.

Statistics show inbound tourism in general is dropping since the summer.

LaoPo

Although a few weeks ago now, I noticed Samui was very quiet, a drive down Chaweng beach the only people were the time share guys.....Hua Hin and Cha am are absolutly booming now....I think logisticaly Samui is badly placed, too far from BKK and only one very expensive airline. A return ticket for someone from the UK would now be almost 200 pounds, so a family of four.....do the maths, it just isnt worth the money any more...Samui needs cheaper air tickets and some real positive marketing, maybe then the tourists will return

The following quote was posted today on the Hua Hin forum and it is high season there.

'Hua Hin is the best it's been in years. Not much traffic and not so many annoying tourists'

Lets just keep things in prospective here it is quiet all over Thailand and remember it is still LOW season here and it will be until the week before Christmas it always has been.

Some people on this forum remind me of the undertaker in Dad's Army well forgive me if I am not joining in we're all doomed.

completely another situation: Hua Hin is dominated by Thai tourists, who mostly come from BKK by car/bus/train. On Samui Thai Tourists are a minority.

completely another situation: Hua Hin is dominated by Thai tourists, who mostly come from BKK by car/bus/train. On Samui Thai Tourists are a minority.

Birdman: better check the facts before you write something like that.

Cha Am is dominated by Thai tourists; 3 to 1 more or less in the period Jan>March 2008 or 307.000 versus 115.000 western tourists.

Hua Hin was equal in Thai<>Western tourists in 2007 (both around 115.000 in the period Jan>March) whilst in 2008 in the same period Western tourists surpassed Thai: 132.000 versus 122.000 Thai.

Check the link I supplied.

For Samui, you're right, as I already wrote in my previous post, Thai tourists are just about 10% of total tourism to Samui :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

"Guest Arrivals at Accommodation Establishments"

LaoPao,

Is this indicative of the only method of reporting now?Because, many smaller hotels do not supply immigration with all the required paper work & I am sure that no rental properties report either.

So maybe this method has a reflection on the accurate numbers.

'samuibeachcomber'
Simon43 said his place was booked up for the next 2 weeks.

No, that's not what he said. He said: "my (ex's) hotel."

And the post was off topic as it was about Phuket.

Not many package tourists in Lamai. The vast majority stays in Chaweng, that is clear. But also in the North, e.g. in Bobhut, there is suddenly one middle/high class resort after each other. The place changed gigantic in the last years. Contrary to Lamai.

"Guest Arrivals at Accommodation Establishments"

LaoPao,

Is this indicative of the only method of reporting now?Because, many smaller hotels do not supply immigration with all the required paper work & I am sure that no rental properties report either.

So maybe this method has a reflection on the accurate numbers.

Of course I have to rely on the numbers supplied in the link below. I have (also of course) no idea if many smaller hotels/guesthouses supply their (obligated ?) numbers to the responsible organization (TAT I suppose) or not.

That is the same (of course again) for people who rent out their apartments/houses/villas but I'm not sure if agents supply the rental numbers to the TAT. Maybe some will and some don't.

I think however that the majority IS reported because the majority of foreign tourists are pre-booked in the country of origin, except backpackers and free travelers.

On the other hand, ALL foreign travelers do come to Thailand, one way or another and have to stay somewhere and that number is the overwhelming majority.

We also should not forget that more than 60% of ALL FOREIGN tourism to Thailand is from (South or East) Asia and the vast majority of Asians travel pre-booked and in groups and will thus be registered in "Guest Arrivals at Accommodation Establishments".

It's something else for Thai tourists but in the link below, one can also find statistics for Domestic Thai tourism.

It will certainly influence the numbers as published by the Office of Tourism Development but not in great numbers I think.

http://www.tourism.go.th/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=25

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Thai or Foreign....who cares, they all spend money, thats what counts... :o

It does matter...

In 2006 a Thai spent Baht 1.795/day and staid 2.65 days on average on a trip in his own country.

In 2006 a Foreigner spent Baht 4.048/day and staid 8,62 days on average in Thailand

In 2006, 13,82 Million foreigners spent Baht 482 Billion in Thailand

In 2006, 81.49 Million* Thai made trips/holiday and spent Baht 322 Billion.

* of course the 81.49 Million is the total number and include repeating Thai tourists, making several trips per year.

LaoPo