Airports Reopen: Foreign Travellers Could Drop 40%

george

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I canceled my flight on NW...had business class tickets for me and my wife...Dec 15 returning Jan 10.

Reason.....Pojaman....I do not think people realize the trouble that is brewing if she takes over the new party. Her return is the absolute worst thing that could have happened at this time.

There is absolutely no assurance we will not be in a major political war or Coup by early next year.

I have been around Thailand for almost 25 years, and have seen a lot...my wife owns 3 farms and some resort property, so we do have substantial ties to the Kingdom......and certainly the current heath of HRH plays a part in this decision.

You are a Senile Wanderer

They do not want idiots like u backin the US . They had more than their fair share for the last 8 years. You stay here and keep suckingup to your masters, Obviously , u can't do much better anyway .

Hope that Thailand gets better press from now on and the tourist numbers stabilize. Most of the tourist that will not return would not return regardless of their experience at the airports. the return tourist know Thailand well enough to continue. At least the folks I know.

I saw this report which I thought I would share. Some people's kids.

Above top Secret

:o

Edited by ilyushin

Today I canceled my flight on NW...had business class tickets for me and my wife...Dec 15 returning Jan 10.

Reason.....Pojaman....I do not think people realize the trouble that is brewing if she takes over the new party. Her return is the absolute worst thing that could have happened at this time.

And that's a big if - wouldn't she just be a powerless, non-wanted competitor to the local guys who may have just a little bit of power to pursue own ambitions?

You made some very good points there. The sex trade is unrivaled. Everything else is easy to find elsewhere.

With the global recession teetering on a global depression, I would anticipate seeing a global boom in the sex trade across all borders. As the unemployment numbers continue to go up so too will the number of prostitutes and basic economic equation of supply and demand will cause the prices of a quickie to drop. Thus the need to travel to Thailand for affordable sex will diminish.

Thailand plans events to lure tourists back

IPOH: Thailand has lined up a list of events to lure tourists back to the country after its recent problems with anti-government protesters and stranded visitors.

Tourism Authority of Thailand director (Malaysia and Brunei) Wiwatchai Boonyapak said among the activities was its New Year countdown celebrations at Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Pattaya.

“We will also have our Flower Festival in Chiang Mai in the first weekend of February and our Thai New Year in April,” he told reporters here on Saturday.

Wiwatchai urged tourists to explore other parts of Thailand, adding that the country was entering into its Visit Thailand Year.

Apologising to visitors for the inconvenience in recent weeks, he assured that everything had “gone back to normal”.

Thousands of visitors had been left stranded last week after protesters laid siege to two airports, forcing them to close.

The Survanabhumi International Airport and the domestic Don Muang Airport in Bangkok were reopened on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wiwatchai acknowledged that the recent turmoil had caused a drop in Malaysian tourist arrivals, but could not yet establish how many had cancelled their trips recently.

To a question, Wiwatchai dismissed worries that the recent turmoil would significantly dent their tourism industry, pointing out that even the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome and bird flu scares had only briefly affected the country.

“We see an increase of arrivals to Hadyaai after these periods.

“Malaysians are very brave,” he said.

- The Star (Malaysia) / 2008-12-08

==========================================================

captcpsolc41081208003339photo00phot.jpg

A passenger sits aboard an almost empty Thai Airways Airbus A-330 preparing to fly to Hanoi at the Suvarnabumhi international airport in Bangkok on December 6, 2008. Thailand's political crisis is battering the kingdom's economy just as the global financial crisis begins to bite.

AFP / 2008-12-08

Edited by sriracha john

You made some very good points there. The sex trade is unrivaled. Everything else is easy to find elsewhere.

With the global recession teetering on a global depression, I would anticipate seeing a global boom in the sex trade across all borders. As the unemployment numbers continue to go up so too will the number of prostitutes and basic economic equation of supply and demand will cause the prices of a quickie to drop. Thus the need to travel to Thailand for affordable sex will diminish.

Not in North America anyway. :o

Fourth Quarter Airport Arrivals Down Almost 50%

PHUKET (MAI KHAO): Passenger numbers at Phuket International Airport for the last three months of 2008 are expected to be down about 48% year-on-year due to global economic conditions and recent events in the Thai capital.

Phuket International Airport Director Wicha Nernlop told the Gazette that around 65 direct international flights to the airport were canceled during the10-day political standoff that resulted in the closure of Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi and Don Meuang airports.

Domestic flights during the same period were down 80% as scheduled flights from Bangkok, mostly from Suvarnabhumi, dried up.

Domestic flight schedules have since returned to normal, but six to eight direct international flights a week have been canceled.

Mr Wicha said that only 65 out of a scheduled 665 flights originating from abroad landed during the 10-day period.

More here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...8&display=1

But the main problem in Thailand is not international terrorists, but local protestors. I cannot see how armed police would get away with gunning down protestors in Thailand.

Something most intelligent life-forms would be proud of.......but heh!

TAT expects tourism's revenues to plunge 130 Billion Baht

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has mapped out plans to apply passive strategies to rebuild up the country’s tourism image after it was scraped by recent political strife.

The number of tourists was expected to decline by 2.3 million people between December 2008 and April 2009, with an anticipated income loss of a record of between 86 Billion Baht and 130 Billion Baht, or declining around 40 to 50 per cent compared to the corresponding period in 2007.

Meanwhile, the caretaker Cabinet on Tuesday (December 9) approved a budget amounting to 1.9 Billion Baht to pay compensations to Thai and foreign tourists stranded following seizures of Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports.

Deputy Government Spokesperson Miss Suparat Nakboonnam said each tourist would receive 2,000 Baht a day for being unable to fly home from November 25 to December 9.

TAT Deputy Governor Santichai Ua-jongprasit elaborated that TAT would put its previous active strategies on hold, but would instead focus more on passive plans.

TAT’s active strategies included the campaign of ‘Seven Wonders’ by promoting the seven most attractive destinations in Thailand to the tourists. With the passive strategies, he said TAT would express its apology and regret to tourists, who were affected by the political turbulence. The message of apology would also be disseminated to all of TAT’s overseas offices.

Apart from the message, Santichai said that the passive strategies would also include disseminating messages to assure prospective tourists of sound safety provided by the new government expected to be established soon, explaining about the recent situations to global governments, and joining hands with the private sector to promote tourism in a bid to draw more tourists back to the country.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-10

Edited by sriracha john

I think it's very late in the day for "AOT to suggest arming security guards", to do this in a International Airport environment is not practical whatsoever.

They SHOULD have trained armed police officers like other International Airports, and have factored this into Suvarnabhumi's initial plans, long before it was even built.

Ermmm why is it not practical. When I came back to Thailand through Amsterdam Schiphol airport I noticed that Schiphol is patrolled by many Marechaussee (an army police branch) carrying big guns with their fingers near the trigger. If they can do this at Schiphol why can't they do it at Suvarnabhumi. And these guys are patrolling all of the building both airside and landside.

But the main problem in Thailand is not international terrorists, but local protestors. I cannot see how armed police would get away with gunning down protestors in Thailand.

But the main problem in Thailand is army and police. I cannot see how they can away with refusing orders from the government.

PHUKET (MAI KHAO): Passenger numbers at Phuket International Airport for the last three months of 2008 are expected to be down about 48% year-on-year due to global economic conditions and recent events in the Thai capital.

Phuket International Airport Director Wicha Nernlop told the Gazette that around 65 direct international flights to the airport were canceled during the10-day political standoff that resulted in the closure of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi and Don Meuang airports.

Domestic flights during the same period were down 80% as scheduled flights from Bangkok, mostly from Suvarnabhumi, dried up.

Domestic flight schedules have since returned to normal, but six to eight direct international flights a week have been canceled.

Mr Wicha said that only 65 out of a scheduled 665 flights originating from abroad landed during the 10-day period.

Phuket airport was not closed (well, only a few days eariler in the protest). How could tourist number drop by half. In fact it should INCREASE as some Swampy pax escape through Phuket.

It seems the TAT, AOT and several other organisations are ready to blame PAD for the drop in tourist arrivals.

I am sure they have heard there is a recession happening in the rest of the world and people are curtailing their holiday plans until the economy starts to recover. Nothing surprising in that surely?

Certainly the closure of the airports by PAD sent a bad signal to many people, but given time and a recovery in the economies of the major countries, the tourists will surely return.

Thailand is still a friendly country albeit with a few major problems at the moment and with good guidance will recover from this in due course.

The strong baht is not helping either. Time for some adjustment?

To the prevailing problem there is hardly anyone to blame for, but take the PAD, there you got someone for bashing!

As in this society never ever anybody makes a mistake and as a result of this nobody ever will admit to a mistake, so if there is a problem, find someone you can blame it on - done!

here we go with "Uncle Arthur"! :o

Phuket International Airport Director Wicha Nernlop told the Gazette that around 65 direct international flights to the airport were canceled during the10-day political standoff that resulted in the closure of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi and Don Meuang airports.

Phuket airport was not closed (well, only a few days eariler in the protest). How could tourist number drop by half. In fact it should INCREASE as some Swampy pax escape through Phuket.

Because Phuket is part of Thailand, and people are cancelling their thailand trips / not booking... Since Phuket is part of Thailand well thats the decrease in numbers... How much of that is a direct result in political crisis vs the econimic crisis is any ones guess.

Hotels Launch Campaign to Boost Tourism

Hotel operators plan to launch a "Buy One, Get One Free" campaign to help boost Thailand's travel industry during the New Year holiday. Meanwhile, tourism targets next year could possibly be reduced.

President of the Thai Hotels Association Prakit Chinamournphong revealed that the agency has consulted with the Tourism Authority of Thailand or TAT and airline operators to conduct a marketing promotion together.

Prakit said a 50 per cent price reduction will be applied to travel-related products; for example, hotel accommodations, air tickets, and amusement parks.

However, the programme will be communicated to the public via a campaign "Buy One, Get One Free", which is expected to take between two and three months, or beyond, to increase the number of tourists visiting the kingdom.

He said he expects that over 500 hotels in the 3-to-5 star range will join the campaign, since the average occupancy rate for Bangkok's large-scale hotels in December is currently below 10 per cent, compared with 70 percent in the same period in the past, and 100 percent during Christmas and New Year festivities earlier.

He added that TAT will organise an event on December 22nd and 23rd, with special offerings of hotels, air fares, and tour packages at half price, to boost the domestic travel market.

Meanwhile, TAT Deputy Governor for Marketing Santichai Euachongprasit said the agency projects that the number of foreign tourists will fall by 40 to 50 percent or around 2.3 million people between December 2008 and April 2009, causing a loss of 86 billion to 130 billion baht in potential revenue; therefore, TAT is planning to revise its 2009 tourism targets downward, from 14 million visitors or 5 percent growth.

- TOC / 2008-12-09

Hotel operators plan to launch a "Buy One, Get One Free" campaign to help boost Thailand's travel industry during the New Year holiday. Meanwhile, tourism targets next year could possibly be reduced.

Does this promotion extend to bg? Don't mind a sandwich made to order. Chuwit, where are you?

Does this promotion extend to bg? Don't mind a sandwich made to order. Chuwit, where are you?

The way Sriracha John is popping these items out makes me wonder if his nest egg is getting the bums rush following the PAD synchronised idiocy events.

My new years wish is that the good Burgers of Bangkok bear the brunt of this financial hit. Next time, they may be less sheeplike in their following of Sondhi.

Happy new year yellows and may you not have a pot to P1ss in come the end of Janaury.

He said he expects that over 500 hotels in the 3-to-5 star range will join the campaign, since the average occupancy rate for Bangkok's large-scale hotels in December is currently below 10 per cent, compared with 70 percent in the same period in the past, and 100 percent during Christmas and New Year festivities earlier.

Do those occupancy rates include those of us who took advantage of the government's offer to provide food and accommodation for 'stranded' passengers ??

Do those occupancy rates include those of us who took advantage of the government's offer to provide food and accommodation for 'stranded' passengers ??

That's already in. Counted.

“Amazing Thai Travel 2008” organized by TAT to stimulate domestic market

A press conference was held yesterday for “Amazing Thai Travel 2008” organized by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and six tourism associations. The event was also sponsored by tourist business owners and merchandise producers all in hopes of stimulating the tourist industry in the final weeks of 2008.

The press conference, held at the Queen Sirikit Convention Center, was attended by TAT Board Chairman Wanchai Saratulthat, TAT Deputy Governor for Domestic Marketing Vunsadej Thavarasukha, Chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries Kongkrit Hirankij, and Deputy Chairman of the Thai Hotels Association Suraphong Techarhuwichit.

The event honed in on having tourist business operators showcasing their goods alongside providing information about tourism in the various regions of Thailand.

“Amazing Thai Travel 2008” will take place from December 20th to 21st at the Queen Sirikit Convention Center. The event will serve as a stimulus of the domestic market which itself comprises one third of the tourism industry.

The current economic climate has made it integral that Thai citizens travel within the nation with business operators presenting new and innovative travel experiences and increasing the opportunities for purchases with special discounts.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-12

' the average occupancy rate for Bangkok's large-scale hotels in December is currently below 10 per cent

The way Sriracha John is popping these items out makes me wonder if his nest egg is getting the bums rush following the PAD synchronised idiocy events.

My new years wish is that the good Burgers of Bangkok bear the brunt of this financial hit. Next time, they may be less sheeplike in their following of Sondhi.

Happy new year yellows and may you not have a pot to P1ss in come the end of Janaury.

My feelings exactly, Grandpops!

The red shirts are not sheeplike in their following of Taxin then?Mind you I dont like either of them both are power hungry and ruthless demagogues.The main difference between them is that Taxin is a successful businessman and Sondhi not.Both want their money back Taxin the frozen part and Sondhi the money which he claimed he lost because of Taxin.They are very similiar in their character.

The red shirts are not sheeplike in their following of Taxin then?

Thaksin's sheep don't singlehandedly destroy the whole countries" economy at the worst possible time. :o

OK.Taxin sheep white Sondhi sheep black.They did not destroy the whole countries economy they damaged for a certain time the tourist intustrie.The bad economy is not only the fault of the PAD.It is at the moment a world wide happening.As I said before I do not like both of these greedy shepherds.

It seems the TAT, AOT and several other organisations are ready to blame PAD for the drop in tourist arrivals.

PAD had a very negative effect on tourism and deserve lots of blame for getting rid of the tourists who decided to come here despite other negative factors. Shame on them!

Don't over react Sir, even a Tsunami had no major effect on tourism to Phuket. Yesterday I was looking for a ticket in March or April, almost all flight where fully booked during that period.

So one week of closing an airport will have almost no effect at all.

If there will be a drop in tourism it will be because the financial crisis, but NOT because Suva was closed for a week.