Rip Roy Michaels Aka Loy Bones

Tony Clifton

I regret to inform any of you who knew Roy Michaels, aka Loy Bones in Thailand, that he has died of cancer in Houston, Texas on September 23, 2008. He had gone back to the States temporarily, hoping he would come back to Thailand.

Most who will have known him would be in the Pattaya area. He once ran a bar called the Blue Dot on beach road, hung around with Ad Carabao some years ago and also did recordings and anything sound related in the area.

In the sixties, Roy was a member of Catmother And The All Night Newsboys (good ol' rock n roll), the only band ever to be produced by Jimi Hendrix and to ever record at Electric Ladyland, Hendrix's own studio. Google will reveal a whole lot more about his carreer than I can, youtube as well.

Rest in peace my good friend, your wonderful music lives on. :o

post-16522-1228412906_thumb.jpg post-16522-1228412917_thumb.jpg

Edited by sabaijai
spelling correction

LOY_AND_ME_AT_HEB___HAAM_2006.bmp

RIP my friend. Loy and I played music together in Austin Texas, USA for the past 3 years until he became too ill to perform. I would like to set the record straight and correct the earlier post that he died in Houston, he died here in Austin. He was staying at a house owned by a guy named Houston which might be where some confusion came in. I saw him in hospice the day before he passed, but he never woke up while I was there. I did talk to him three days before. He really loved Thailand and spoke often about going back but he couldn't get the medical care he was getting here if he left. There are some photos and a couple tunes we did on my Doppler Bob MySpace page for all interested.

Apologies for the confusion with Austin/Houston.

Roy had written his memoirs in the last few years. I sincerely hope we can all get the chance to read them some day. He was part of the sixties and seventies music scene.

I hope the same happens to the music he had written. I was lucky to have copies he gave me of the CDs he had made over the years in exchange for favors. Some of the CDs have been damaged or disappeared, Wonderful words and music. May someone make it happen that his music is available fopr all to hear somehow. It would be a great waste to never hear those songs again...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Lapsteeler, great work on Joe's by the way.

I found three of Roy's CD s after moving in here.

They all seem intact.

1 Stories from Joe's

2 Sketches

3 Ridin' the Hound.

5- Horse Badorties (Old band of his, cd is missing, was just great music))

This album was great, tape to cd recording as all that was left of the original taps had burned in a fire and only cassettes remained. Still made it to CD with the help of Roy even if the quality was so so, . :o

4??? I m missing this one still, my favorite one he had mixed in Thailand and can't remember that album's title for some stupid reason. It had been done at home, very raw, he said even with chickens outside in the background, that's what made this album great.

He must have given you a copy at some time when redoing Talking Out-Streamline-You Were Right-Rachel Corrie- and others I can t remember by title on that early CD. I'd actually change these three here for that one if I had to chose, I was hooked by that album by listening to it once.

If anyone has any contact with his sons Thom and Paht, please contact me.

I seriously hope Thom or anyone else has/will have had a chance to save Roy's work, be it written or recorded. Music was his life, it shouldn't die with him, that's not why we write music.

Maybe you can get me in contact with Austin on Houston, or was it Houston in Austin where he lived and had set up a mobile studio.

I m not online much these days but will have a look from time to time.

Tony, I will try to get music of his to you. If possible I can post MP3 files to this site, if not I will try to get them to you. He was a very special person and a great musician.

I posted the following at : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rip-Roy-Mich...83#entry2430483

They all seem intact.

1 Stories from Joe's

2 Sketches

3 Ridin' the Hound.

This album was great, tape to cd recording as all that was left of the original session tapes had burned in a fire and only cassettes remained. Still made it to CD with the help of Roy even if the quality was so so, . laugh.gif

4??? I m missing this one still, my favorite one he had mixed in Thailand and can't remember that album's title for some stupid reason. It had been done at home, very raw, he said even with chickens outside in the background, that's what made this album great. He must have given you a copy at some time when redoing Talking Out-Streamline-You Were Right-Rachel Corrie- and it seems a few others on Joe's I can t remember by title on that early CD. I'd actually change these three here for that one if I had to chose, I was hooked by listening to it once. An album everyone should have.

I seriously hope Thom or anyone else has/will have had a chance to save Roy's work, be it written or recorded. Music was his life, it shouldn't die with him, that's not why we write music.

Maybe you can get me in contact with Austin on Houston, or was it Houston in Austin where he lived and had set up a mobile studio.

Edited by Tony Clifton

• 3 months later...

Sorry my mistake, It was Catmother

He and Ole used to sit often on my balcony in the jungle and sing

Pete

Tony, I will try to get music of his to you. If possible I can post MP3 files to this site, if not I will try to get them to you. He was a very special person and a great musician.

I posted the following at : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rip-Roy-Mich...83#entry2430483

They all seem intact.

1 Stories from Joe's

2 Sketches

3 Ridin' the Hound.

This album was great, tape to cd recording as all that was left of the original session tapes had burned in a fire and only cassettes remained. Still made it to CD with the help of Roy even if the quality was so so, . laugh.gif

4??? I m missing this one still, my favorite one he had mixed in Thailand and can't remember that album's title for some stupid reason. It had been done at home, very raw, he said even with chickens outside in the background, that's what made this album great. He must have given you a copy at some time when redoing Talking Out-Streamline-You Were Right-Rachel Corrie- and it seems a few others on Joe's I can t remember by title on that early CD. I'd actually change these three here for that one if I had to chose, I was hooked by listening to it once. An album everyone should have.

I knew Roy, always liked his music. RIP.

l_24c7955951f0416d94be3c759918c458.jpg

One small correction, Cat Mother may have been the only band Jimi Hendrix produced an album for, but many bands have recorded in Electric Lady Studios, and continue to do so today. Perhaps they were the only other band to record there while Jimi was still alive.