Under 50s Ex-pats

sassienie

Over the years if has become increasing difficult for ex-pats under the age of 50 to stay in Thailand for the long term.

1. Not eligible for a non-immigrant visa on the basis of retirement.

2. Married to a Thai wife, must be working and earning 40000 baht per month.

3. Working, must be working and earning 40000 baht per month in a job not prohibited by law in Thailand.

Whenever I encounter an under 50 ex-pat, I ask myself the question, is he/she here legitimately?

So for you under 50s, how do you obtain your cost of living expenses in Thailand?

I would say that most fit into :

1. Working legally in a Thai job that allows them to stay, such as teaching.

2. Working in Thailand for their expat company.

3. Independently wealthy and somehow received annual visas or continuous visitor visas.

4. Wealthy enough to have started their own companies.

5. Married to a Thai and making 40,000 Baht between them.

6. Married to a Thai, independently wealthy and can report "fake" income, and pay taxes to show 40K Baht per month.

7. Illegal in every way.

Whenever I encounter an under 50 ex-pat, I ask myself the question, is he/she here legitimately?

That's a coincidence, because I'm thinking "I wonder if he's asking himself the question 'is he here legitimately?' Perhaps I should kill him to protect my secret..?" :o

That's a coincidence, because I'm thinking "I wonder if he's asking himself the question 'is he here legitimately?' Perhaps I should kill him to protect my secret..?" :o

Please dont kill me, I`m too young to die, but old enough to be on a early retirement pension which I am.

Sorry, repeated post by error.

Edited by sassienie

"How is he staying here?" is a question I also ask myself, but rarely ask the expat.

I did ask my neighbour once, because I felt I was on friendly enough terms with him, and it turned out he was doing visa runs, but was over 50. He had no idea about the non-imm. "O" visa for over 50s, so I gave him the details.

As it turned out, he'd had enough of Thailand and was selling his house and moving back to Oz.

Over the years if has become increasing difficult for ex-pats under the age of 50 to stay in Thailand for the long term.

3. Working, must be working and earning 40000 baht per month in a job not prohibited by law in Thailand.

So for you under 50s, how do you obtain your cost of living expenses in Thailand?

gainfully employed tax payer in LOS for last 13 years...salary, bonuses etc..

Worked hard during my youth as a self-taught computer programmer. Was lucky enough to retire at a young age, subsequently visiting Thailand as a part of my "Visit All Countries Starting With The Letter 'T' Tour ." Met and married the woman of my dreams.

Well when I was under 50 and living in Thailand I was working (legally) for an MNC. Now I'm over 50 I am drifting around the region working for whoever pays the rate.

However during my time I did meet a fair few younger guys who were financially well set up from previous businesses and had no need to work (lucky b@st@ds - only joking, fair do to them). I also met a few who had businesses back in their home countries that they managed remotely only returning for a few short visits a year. There were also those that achieved early retirement and then there were those extremely dodgy characters who you just didn't ask :o .

How did they all manage to stay? I haven't a cookin' flue and never asked as it's not my business and they afforded me the same measure of privacy. But this was back in the days of unlimited 30 days exemptions so some at least of them were on that deal. Or to put it another way many faces are missing from the bars and restaurants these days.

I'd guess that those with sufficient money do the right thing and get a visa or visas and those without the money these days have no option but overstay.

When the time comes to hang up the site boots and safety hat I know I'll make the grade for a retirement visa unless they really raise the bar up into the clouds (or the world economy goes down the black hole :D ). However the bigger question is when that time comes will I still want to live in Thailand?

Those bridges, like all the others, I'll cross when I get there. :D

3. Independently wealthy and somehow received annual visas or continuous visitor visas.

6. Married to a Thai, independently wealthy and can report "fake" income, and pay taxes to show 40K Baht per month.

7. Illegal in every way.

Falling somewhere between 1 and 2..

Legal employee of a Thai Based (with US Owner) company..... with thankfully no links to teaching....

I hear too many horror stories of expats who have played the system for too long and have to go home penniless to a country where the cost of a coffee could feed a family here....

My words to them.. tough $hit... don't play with the system because while it looks slow over here, they will get you..

It's not that difficult for some of us.

22 years military service. Retired with a pension and money in the bank.

But I'm still working, as the opportunity to put more in the bank is there, and I don't qualify for the O-A Visa for a couple more years any ways, and haven't really figured out how I would spend my time in Thailand if I wasn't working.

In the army, after a certain stage in your career, we got to the point where we could submit our release/retirement papers and be "out" in 30 days.

We referred to that point as the "30-30" plan.

"30 Minute to Piss Me Off, And in 30 Days I'm gone !"

Kind of like where I am at now. I could pack up and return to Thailand. I'd be giving up a big hunk of change, but I could get by without it too.

I'd have to get an ED visa though, or else move to Ban Laem and rent a house for a couple of years. :o

No. 3, but you misstate Thai law. There is no requirement that you earn 40,000 baht/month when you are legally employed with a WP under a Non-B visa. I came here, under age 50, with a substantial amount saved for retirement. Rather than go the investment/business route, I decided to teach. It keeps me busy and I enjoy it. I might open a restaurant if I get bored with teaching. I stopped eating into my savings about 1 year ago, when I moved out of Pattaya, and adjusted my way of life to the ex-pat mode.

point 1, correct.

point 2... many people have 1 year multi entry Non imm O visas and are content to come and go every 90 days for a breath of fresh air until their visa expires and then get a new visa each year, easy..no permit extensions, reporting, re-entry permit crap to deal with. Further more, 40K a month is a pittance for many who need to get 1 yearly permit of stay extensions, they do not even need to work as their passive income (investments ,cash interest etc...) is more than adaquate. I know several people in their 20's in this position even.

point 3...mostly accurate, but the salary bands differ per nationality.

there are also many other Non immigrant categorys that people use , most notably being those that come as students and those in diplomatic postings.

i also know a few under 50's that have an "immigrant visa", commonly referred to as permanent residency.

I earn a living through teaching. It allows me to stay legally in Thailand and more importantly it is a job I enjoy. It is also a job which I am qualified to do. I am 39 so who knows what the future will bring. I also make a small amount of money from writing, but not enough to live on; maybe one day.

Lucky enough to have saved enough to retire and live in Thailand with my Thai wife.

Currently here on a multi entry non-o but now they have reinstated the 400k bht option for married to a Thai may go that route instead of waiting for retirement extension.

I earn a living through teaching. It allows me to stay legally in Thailand and more importantly it is a job I enjoy. It is also a job which I am qualified to do. I am 39 so who knows what the future will bring. I also make a small amount of money from writing, but not enough to live on; maybe one day.

Same same (except for the writing) I am 39, and I have a wife and baby. Non B and WP. My wife has a small business . I worked in health care for years before moving here and manged to build up a little "emergency cushion" that I can access if needed. Planning on taking my wife and baby back to the States in a few years.

I would never even think of buying property here. I have come to realize that nothing is certain in the land of uncertainties so I take it as it comes, and right now that's year by year.

Edited by mizzi39

Private assets outside Thailand and businesses in Thailand though sold most off in the last 12 months. I came here when at a loose end in my 30's and said to myself that if I could break even in business in the first year I would give it a try. That was quite a few years ago.

It is short sighted of Thais to think that everyone under their retirement age is broke. Before their retirement age was 60, then 55 and now 50. I think they should basically open it up to people of all ages who qualify under a financial threshold and remove the wording or thought of retirement.

They should also employ decent western consultants to look at the positive impact of foreign small business people here who have to bend the rules or avoid them because the costs are fairly flat and not pro rata to the profitability of the business. For example, a small bar could provide a moderate lifestyle for a guy. His Thai partner would have a job and he perhaps directly employs 10 people. Those 10 people perhaps directly support another 2 or 3 each and with money going round the economy through their spending, that one guy could indirectly put food on the table for perhaps 50 people. He cannot get a WP but is not taking a job from a Thai. He also has to spend lots of money to fly around and get visas. Surely it makes more sense for the government to give him an annual visa, report every 90 days and tax him moderately on his income. In my mind, everyone there comes out a winner. Piss him off and he leaves for Cambodia or Vietnam. Then 50 people go hungry. Utter madness.

point 3...mostly accurate, but the salary bands differ per nationality.

Isn't it also true that there is no income requirement for immigrants working for the government (i.e., foreign teachers who earn under 40,000 baht/month)?

Otherwise, all the Filipino and government school teachers would be living and working illegally in Thailand, because very, very few of them meet the income requirements for their country of origin.

Thanks for this thread, as it is something I have to consider for myself come February,

Presently I am legal and go back and forth so I haven't had to worry much but some of the suggestions are interesting.

retired at 32 (dot com boomer) and have a Non-Imm Ed, studying Thai, will do for many years, if they don't screw around with the laws. Not that hard to undersatnd.

Oz

That's the best advice I have gotten in a long time. I just have to make sure I don't get expelled for academic results.

I'm Under 50 (31). Own a business, non-o b visa and work permit. Pay tax.

I have cusotody of my two kids following a divorce custody case, I won, in the Thai courts. So am divorced to a Thai with child custody, so can also apply for a type o.

It's not rocket science to stay in the Kingdom under 50. You have to work, for those that don't I think the education visa is the way to go.

I fall into category #2. Feel like a kept man and the 1 year visa's a breeze.

EDIT: Now there's sods law - having just typed the above I visited the Visa section to see that the rules have changed again. Urghhh...

Edited by bkkmick

7. Illegal in every way.

1,and part of 7.

Edited by Neeranam

Probably no 3 if anything.Living here totally legally with all visas and reportings correct.Neither of us work, don't have kids.Neither of us has ever been asked about a single baht of income,bank accounts etc.Not sure if this will change with the new regs however-so far so good!