Under 50s Ex-pats

sassienie

I understand about having a multi o if you are 50+ but i have a few friends who decide to have a year over here,and all of them are under 50.They just tell hull consulate that they are looking for a business over here and bingo a 1 year multi o.my mates are 42/41 and /46 and they have been coming for 3 years now.

The time is right now to get a visa multi o under 50 and stay for a year,they will take anybody now lol.

Under 50 ( 23 ) No visa whatsoever...Working with a oil company in the middle East , with a rotation of 5 weeks on 5 weeks off. So I recieve my entry stamp Valid for 30 days, then i get my 1 week extension at immigration every time, though this is 1900 baht! living Tax free and loving it!

Simple answer from my experience and that of some friends: (All under 40)

1. Australian company with good management

2. Can work remote and or not at all

3. Sell one company with more then 6 “0” after a “$” sign

4. Have Western based successful IT, Marketing, Web Development or BPO business

5. Using Australian Company get APEC visa valid for 3 years. Gives me 90 Day business visit visa in Thailand upon entry. Every 3 months go visit the Australia, Hong Kong, India or Manila office. After 3 years get it auto renewed for AU$80 aprox. Great thing is APEC/ABTC makes it easy to consider other APEC countries in the world if you want to move on.

6. Earning interest alone for some earns more then AUD$100k per year. Also remain liquid so that you can change your mind and move on at any time and never locked into the “System”.

7. Only bring into Thailand via ATM the cash you need for rent and anything else. Seen some guys religious at taking THB30k a day out of local ATM. Never stockpile cash for many reasons.

8. Stay low on the radar and get a good rented apartment with stable internet with more then 1 carrier for redundancy.

9. Most don’t invest and or do business in Thailand at all as to say “Liquid” ad able to move on at any time is more important. My group of friends have this as a number 1 rule in Thailand. As long as you have Internet, Laptop and an ATM in the local area no other requirements.

10. Visa issues don’t truly exist for people with “means”.

11. Many of such people I know are living in the Silom up market areas. They avoid going out too much (Or if Dot COM types, don’t go out in public at all)and do the best to blend in as if just another tourist. So funny, a friend of mine has more than $14million cash in the bank earning interest but only wears polo shirts from Silom Rd and knock off Jeans from MBK. To kill time he plays computer games and other online stock market gambling.

I think this gives you an idea about some of the people you see quite often around and wonder… “How do they stay in Thailand without a job at only 32 years old?”. When you know what to look out for they are very easy to spot.

Over the years if has become increasing difficult for ex-pats under the age of 50 to stay in Thailand for the long term.

1. Not eligible for a non-immigrant visa on the basis of retirement.

2. Married to a Thai wife, must be working and earning 40000 baht per month.

3. Working, must be working and earning 40000 baht per month in a job not prohibited by law in Thailand.

Whenever I encounter an under 50 ex-pat, I ask myself the question, is he/she here legitimately?

So for you under 50s, how do you obtain your cost of living expenses in Thailand?

Easy, working for a Company, with a work permit. :o

Living and 'making a living' in Thailand when you are in the prime of your life is the easy bit - Remaining in Thailand during the years when work and money come easy AND stashing enough in savings/investments/pensions to support yourself in old age (and meet the visa income requirements) is a tad more difficult.

Like Phil Harries, I've done the MNC route - treading water while waiting for the inevitable decision forced by finances is not an option I would choose.

As for remaining in Thailand during the prime of life living on income from investments, legacies and lottery wins. I often think the 90 day reporting rule is simply the Thais checking up on Farangs to see if their money has run out or not. When it comes to Farangs living in Thailand the term 'Independently wealthy' seem too often to mean 'a guy who quietly makes his own way home when his money runs out'.

Edited by GuestHouse

Over the years if has become increasing difficult for ex-pats under the age of 50 to stay in Thailand for the long term.

3. Working, must be working and earning 40000 baht per month in a job not prohibited by law in Thailand.

Whenever I encounter an under 50 ex-pat, I ask myself the question, is he/she here legitimately?

So for you under 50s, how do you obtain your cost of living expenses in Thailand?

No 1. Still under 50 and went there in 1995

No 2. Got divorced 10 years ago, not getting married again, X not Thai.

No 3. Was working there but now in Russia, 28 X 28, but home is Thailand GF, Dogs, Tropical Fish.

No 4. What was the next one, am I legitimately living in Thailand, As far as I am aware I am.

Unless more laws change in Thailand. Are you ? have you been all the time ? will you be in the Future ?

:o

Simple answer from my experience and that of some friends: (All under 40)

1. Australian company with good management

2. Can work remote and or not at all

3. Sell one company with more then 6 “0” after a “$” sign

4. Have Western based successful IT, Marketing, Web Development or BPO business

5. Using Australian Company get APEC visa valid for 3 years. Gives me 90 Day business visit visa in Thailand upon entry. Every 3 months go visit the Australia, Hong Kong, India or Manila office. After 3 years get it auto renewed for AU$80 aprox. Great thing is APEC/ABTC makes it easy to consider other APEC countries in the world if you want to move on.

6. Earning interest alone for some earns more then AUD$100k per year. Also remain liquid so that you can change your mind and move on at any time and never locked into the “System”.

7. Only bring into Thailand via ATM the cash you need for rent and anything else. Seen some guys religious at taking THB30k a day out of local ATM. Never stockpile cash for many reasons.

8. Stay low on the radar and get a good rented apartment with stable internet with more then 1 carrier for redundancy.

9. Most don’t invest and or do business in Thailand at all as to say “Liquid” ad able to move on at any time is more important. My group of friends have this as a number 1 rule in Thailand. As long as you have Internet, Laptop and an ATM in the local area no other requirements.

10. Visa issues don’t truly exist for people with “means”.

11. Many of such people I know are living in the Silom up market areas. They avoid going out too much (Or if Dot COM types, don’t go out in public at all)and do the best to blend in as if just another tourist. So funny, a friend of mine has more than $14million cash in the bank earning interest but only wears polo shirts from Silom Rd and knock off Jeans from MBK. To kill time he plays computer games and other online stock market gambling.

I think this gives you an idea about some of the people you see quite often around and wonder… “How do they stay in Thailand without a job at only 32 years old?”. When you know what to look out for they are very easy to spot.

Thanks for that Camoo, this picture you paint of '30 something' millionaires skulking around in the shadows, and staying at home playing computer games lest they get caught enjoying life has cheered me up no end.

GH, I always assumed that you are a more mature guy who was well over fifty.

Now you have me feeling all curious.

Maybe it's just the dead guy you have as an avatar that causes this impression :o

Maybe it's just the dead guy you have as an avatar that causes this impression :D

The feeling is mutual, I nearly fell off my chair when I read the other day that you are a mere 39 years old.

That said, your post suggest that your avtar does not misrepresent you :o

Maybe it's just the dead guy you have as an avatar that causes this impression :D

The feeling is mutual, I nearly fell off my chair when I read the other day that you are a mere 39 years old.

That said, your post suggest that your avtar does not misrepresent you :o

Even as a baby people would comment that it was like I had lived before :D .

Under 50 ( 23 ) No visa whatsoever...Working with a oil company in the middle East , with a rotation of 5 weeks on 5 weeks off. So I recieve my entry stamp Valid for 30 days, then i get my 1 week extension at immigration every time, though this is 1900 baht! living Tax free and loving it!

I'm on Non-imm 'o'

Oil and gas boomer semi-retired at 30 and work contracts when I pick and choose in the offshore/onshore industry. Independently wealthy.

Saved up the coin and now just keep myself occupied moving about and exploring in LOS seeing where the other cool expats are.

To be frank, I've never had it this good (touch wood). :o

Easy to stay here if you prepare and keep a low-profile. Easy to spend a ton and have to skulk back to the UK, but not if you discipline yourself. :D

6 months on, 6 months off working a bit. :D

Edited by JimsKnight

They should also employ decent western consultants to look at the positive impact of foreign small business people here who have to bend the rules or avoid them because the costs are fairly flat and not pro rata to the profitability of the business. For example, a small bar could provide a moderate lifestyle for a guy. His Thai partner would have a job and he perhaps directly employs 10 people. Those 10 people perhaps directly support another 2 or 3 each and with money going round the economy through their spending, that one guy could indirectly put food on the table for perhaps 50 people. He cannot get a WP but is not taking a job from a Thai. He also has to spend lots of money to fly around and get visas. Surely it makes more sense for the government to give him an annual visa, report every 90 days and tax him moderately on his income. In my mind, everyone there comes out a winner. Piss him off and he leaves for Cambodia or Vietnam. Then 50 people go hungry. Utter madness.

There is no reason why in the situation you described, the bar owner couldn't get a WP and Visa based upon his business.

I am 27, married, with a baby girl on the way (my first)..

I have a Non-Imm O Multi Entry Visa, don't mind the 90 days as I like to shop for DVD's in Mae Sai to get the newer titles.

I teach at a government school (work permit) and I tutor at a language center 2 days a week. I bring in close to 40,000 baht a month but my only expenses are food, the money I give my wife, and paying off past debt from the early credit years (19-24.)

Really it's not a lot of money to have, just about $1,000 per month, but I live on about 300 dollars and the rest goes to pay off my debt.

I am at crossroads truthfully, I am not going to stay in Thailand for much longer because I am just not making enough to save for my future (retirement) but prospects in the States haven't proven much better for me. I have 3,000 more dollars of debt to pay off then I suspect that I am done with Thailand.

I came here at 24 looking for something different, now three years later I am looking to start a career or finish law school. If anyone that works for a corporation needs an educated young family man to join your team, let me know.

With the baby on the way, I am thinking a lot different from a year ago.

They should also employ decent western consultants to look at the positive impact of foreign small business people here who have to bend the rules or avoid them because the costs are fairly flat and not pro rata to the profitability of the business. For example, a small bar could provide a moderate lifestyle for a guy. His Thai partner would have a job and he perhaps directly employs 10 people. Those 10 people perhaps directly support another 2 or 3 each and with money going round the economy through their spending, that one guy could indirectly put food on the table for perhaps 50 people. He cannot get a WP but is not taking a job from a Thai. He also has to spend lots of money to fly around and get visas. Surely it makes more sense for the government to give him an annual visa, report every 90 days and tax him moderately on his income. In my mind, everyone there comes out a winner. Piss him off and he leaves for Cambodia or Vietnam. Then 50 people go hungry. Utter madness.

WORD

I am 43. I retired when I was 37, when it was clear that my savings plus the proceeds of my house in London would get my enough to live in Thailand. I have an annual extention on investment grounds which means I have to keep 3,000,000 baht in a Thai bank account. This option was removed for new applicants two years ago but is still available for those already in the system.

don't drink/smoke and eat bok bok

I am 27, married, with a baby girl on the way (my first)..

I have a Non-Imm O Multi Entry Visa, don't mind the 90 days as I like to shop for DVD's in Mae Sai to get the newer titles.

I teach at a government school (work permit) and I tutor at a language center 2 days a week. I bring in close to 40,000 baht a month but my only expenses are food, the money I give my wife, and paying off past debt from the early credit years (19-24.)

Really it's not a lot of money to have, just about $1,000 per month, but I live on about 300 dollars and the rest goes to pay off my debt.

I am at crossroads truthfully, I am not going to stay in Thailand for much longer because I am just not making enough to save for my future (retirement) but prospects in the States haven't proven much better for me. I have 3,000 more dollars of debt to pay off then I suspect that I am done with Thailand.

I came here at 24 looking for something different, now three years later I am looking to start a career or finish law school. If anyone that works for a corporation needs an educated young family man to join your team, let me know.

With the baby on the way, I am thinking a lot different from a year ago.

A very good post. Best of luck with the new baby and the future.

Judging by the very few responses on this thread, my view is more leaning to that many under 50 year old Farangs staying in Thailand are iffy and prefer to keep a low profile.

Total <deleted>.

I had to ask my driver to pull over so I could answer this one. Even though these new Mercedes S550's are smooth as silk you still feel the BKK roads some times. I agree with the OP. I mean how could someone under 50 have any ability to survive outside their mothers womb much less their own country. First of all trying to do something legal like work of all things and be able to budget and plan for expenses is something that can never be learned much less achieved. When I came here it was a struggle just to open an anonamous bank accout having to bribe the bank VP nearly $50,000 US just to be able to wire $15,000,000.00 US under the radar from one of my non OECS island accounts.

Ill admit I'm a ripe old 32 and am having some trouble with the language. Just the other day I was floating in my negative edge pool in my penthouse and asked one of my bodyguards for my cook to make me one of those tasty mango drinks and I swear they look at me the same way one of my dobermans look at my answering machine when it hears my voice on it. To actually live legaly here one would have to be nuts. If it wasn't for the Thai's ability to jazz up the guidance boards from the North Korean Taopedong missiles, I dont think I'd have a dam_n thing left to sell to the Russians.

Two years into a 5 year career-break,authorised by my employers in the UK.Been

Thats a pretty good deal, I've only heard of this once before.

I've heard of it a few times, it's called a dismissal.

Not if you work for the police and maybe some other Government departments.

Two years into a 5 year career-break,authorised by my employers in the UK.Been

Fascinating. Are you a mobster?

Did you perform a hit on a rival gang boss two years ago?

Have your employers told you to lie-low until the heat dies down?

You woke up this morning. Got yourself a gun.

Mama always said you'd be the Chosen One.

She said: You're one in a million you've got to burn to shine,

But you were born under a bad sign, with a blue moon in your eyes.

You woke up this morning all the love has gone,

Your Papa never told you about right and wrong.