How Much Is The Cheapest Reliable New Car That You Can Buy In Thailand?

garro

My brother in law will sell you one for 80,000 - 100,000 baht which he will 'guarantee' is reliable. I wouldn't buy one off him though. The last 'reliable' car we borrowed from him had no springs! It sure was a long painful drive from BKK to Hua Hin. We were meant to get to Trang but after our third flat tyre we decided to leave the car behind!

Woudn't a proton be the cheapest "new car" out there.  I thought I saw something where they were 398,000.

Proton Savy, is his name. One of the ugliest car i ever seen im my life. But if you pay 499'000 Baht you get the Proton Neo. And what i don't understand how different the two cars from the same company. Savy, typical ugly Asian style. Neo very nice looking design, looks like the 3 door Alfa Seelespeed. Inside and outside looks excellent. I guess the changed the Designer and i saw the Lotus Company is involved now. This explains to me the design change.

In my opinion you will find no better than the Nissan NV. It is basically a car but taxed like a truck thus the cheap price. Some years back I bought a new one and found it to be a great little vehicle, nimble, quick and never a problem. I don't know the price now but I paid less than 400,000 baht.

In my opinion you will find no better than the Nissan NV. It is basically a car but taxed like a truck thus the cheap price. Some years back I bought a new one and found it to be a great little vehicle, nimble, quick and never a problem. I don't know the price now but I paid less than 400,000 baht.

Agree with comments on Nissan NV.

I just saw those revolving adverts for the Protons at Tesco and I still can't believe it. One was Baht339,000 and another passenger car was Baht549,000 with CNG and 100,000km warranties. If I was in the market for a new car I'd investigate those. I mean, people may knock Protons but with CNG coversions alone costing baht60,000 those cars are worth a look. especially as next year will most likely see a return to baht40/litre petrol.

I just saw those revolving adverts for the Protons at Tesco and I still can't believe it. One was Baht339,000 and another passenger car was Baht549,000 with CNG and 100,000km warranties. If I was in the market for a new car I'd investigate those. I mean, people may knock Protons but with CNG coversions alone costing baht60,000 those cars are worth a look. especially as next year will most likely see a return to baht40/litre petrol.

If you would consider the 549,000 car mentioned above, I would also suggest you checking out the new Honda City. It isn't IMHO quite as attractive as last year's style, but they dropped the CVT tranny due to reliability problems so that's not a concern any more. Honda quality and resale value, I think pretty good bang for the buck along with Vios as mentioned.

You might be able to find something around 250,000 baht, but you're more likely looking at 300,000 baht. Also, if you buy a used car at that price, expect to put in around another 20,000 baht for preventative maintenance. Thais are notorious for running their cars into the ground without maintaining them.

And where might we find a new car at your prices :o

For regular stuff it has to be the Vios but I am not sure you get aircon at the bottom end. Bottom end trucks as well bt again, nothing fancy at the real bottom end.

Aircon as standard in all models of Vios.

No heating though and it's getting bloody cold in the mornings these days.

I recommend the new Honda Jazz, (Fit), over the Toyota Vios for sure.

Check one out at your nearest Honda Showroom.

http://www.autospectator.com/cars/files/im...z-Concept-1.jpg

I prefer the Vios as a cheap car. It have a large booth in the back and the shape is much nicer. It will be more easy to maintenance. The Jazz automatic transmission gonna very expensive it they fail one day.

Edited by stingray

Agree, Vios is a good buy in Thailand if you want cheap. Solid & reliable. The lack of heater comment tho is absurd.

I thought the same until I started to spend some tie in Buriram. Now I would have the truck ordered with a heater as per European spec. It is really very cold here some days and colder still farther north.

Agree, Vios is a good buy in Thailand if you want cheap. Solid & reliable. The lack of heater comment tho is absurd.

I thought the same until I started to spend some tie in Buriram. Now I would have the truck ordered with a heater as per European spec. It is really very cold here some days and colder still farther north.

I guess Torrenova hasn't spent a cold December night in Surin either, or been shivering at he first Tee at 06:30 in the morning.

Sometimes a heater won't be amiss even here in Bangkok, up north, where it drops to 12 degrees quite often (my guesstimate) it would be really necessary.

However the cost would not be justified - after all it's only about a month a year only.

Here's a really dumb questions - do they make heater+aircon systems for cars in mixes climates? Where I am from they never had aircons in my days, only heaters.