Democrats To Form New Coalition Government

jdinasia

MNewsImages_17416.jpg20-4.jpg

Former PM organizes Grand Merit-Making

Former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat conducted a grand merit-making ceremony at his residence after stepping down from the post.

Somchai and his family have made merit at his house in the Chang Wattana area this morning by giving alms and the four necessities to 129 Buddhist monks from many temples in Bangkok.

Somchai's wife Yaowapa Wongsawat made worship to the Spirit House and the ancestors' shrine, saying that her family decided to arrange a big merit-making ceremony as it has been long since the last one and only a few guests were invited.

The ceremony is the first grand merit-making after Somchai ended his role as prime minister.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-09

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget Abhisit, he's a draft dodger !

Just remember the screw up caused by the last "elected" draft dodger George W Bush.

Technically, Bush wasn't a draft dodger. Bill Clinton however was...

GWB escaped by going to the national guard where he was more absent than present, there where even took disciplinary action against him. This I call dodging.

BTW what serving in the military has to do with being a good politician and ruling the country. Maggie never served in the army.

maggie thatcher wasn't expected to serve in the forces.

she was happy kids milk snatching.

george bush was a draft dodger, but all the sons and daughters of the american people, without connections, got called up.

Thatcher snatched a lot more than the kids milk. :o

You place far too much credit on Thaksin alone being able to manipulate every mind in Issan and North.

Surely Thaksin didn't manipulate "every mind" in Isan and the North all alone, he had a huge electoral machine to do that. It's as undeniable as the fact that he built a personality cult there.

While Thaksin holds many attractions to the people of the northeast, one major issue is the mountain of consumer debt currently existing. After helping to create this consumer debt (mobile phones etc.,), Thaksin is viewed as the only one who can get this debt forgiven. Debt forgiveness was a key part of the PPP's 2007 election campaign, but the PPP never got around to focusing on this as they have been more worried about themselves. Hence, for the most part, the debt remains and will in many people's eyes until Thaksin is forgiven and brought back to "save" them.

Yes, and the truth is he would probably only make it worse for them. Thaksin loosened credit and increased NPLs in Thailand to their greatest point since just before the 97 crash.

The majority? The fact is that the vast majority of Thai voters voted for anti-Thaksin parties. The Thaksin PPP proxy party got a bit over 1/3rd the vote. Thaksin can keep on claiming he had some kind of electoral majority but it simply isn't true, the vast majority of people are now against him.

Your logic is askew here. Obama was soundly defeated by a landslide by McCain in the US election amongst white people.

Yet, to say that white people are against him is not quite so. Most have high hopes for the Obama administration. So it is in Thailand.

If I'm not mistaken a majority of whites have voted for the Republican party in several elections.It's not specifically an Obama issue.But as you say I think the vast majority of Americans are supportive of Obama, regardless of the way votes were cast.In addition Obama will of course be Head of State so there is an issue of patriotism for most Americans.Finally Americans broadly have a strong belief in their constitution, and that means playing by the rules.I think the hanging chads/Supreme Court aspects of Bush's first "victory" were extremely damaging, but the strength of the American system prevailed.

In Thailand not much of this applies.Nevertheless it's not helpful to say that the vast majority voted "against" Thaksin or hypothetically (in the next election) the vast majority voted "against" the PM's party (say Abhisit).It's in the nature of coalition government everywhere...... Fact is Thaksin did have an electoral mandate and he was illegally removed.

One can argue his removal was necessary but it's intellectually dishonest to say he didn't have a mandate.The original poster claims that "the vast majority of people are against him now":obviously it's highly subjective but I would disagree.I do think he's too divisive a figure to make a come back but the game is far from over.

Obama had the 2nd largest vote count ever only surpassed by Reagan by 1/2 %,

and by far the largest for a non-incumbent. Going by percentage of population:

Obama 2008 22.62%

Eisenhower 1952 21.63

Bush 1 1988 19.99

Reagan 1980 19.32

Kennedy 1960 18.94

Carter 1976 18.73

Roosevelt 1932 18.28

Bush 2 2000 17.88

Hoover 1928 17.78

Clinton 1992 17.61

Nixon 1968 15.84

Harding 1920 15.16

But population is not all eleigible to vote and not all voted that could.

But it is significant that there was a MUCH higher population to pull from. He got nearly 69 million votes.

Obama got more voters than the population of Thailand....

This year's Thailand election:

Total Turnout 38,981,412 or 85.38 an astoundingly high percentage

Valid votes 35,535,767 vs. Constituancy votes =71,772,667*

Which shows it to be jerrymandering BS. How can a country of 63 million at most

have 71 million of constituencey votes, the number used for the PPP win???

Thai population 62.83 million in 2007.

Proportional results

PPP 14,071,799

Dems 14,084,265

Of valid voters

PPP 39.60% (Proportional) Dems 39.63% (Proportional)

% Of population

PPP 22.39662 vs Dem 22.39577

AS for the MANDATE of the Thai population it is a statistical dead heat.

ONLY reason PPP won is the TYPE of constituancey voting used.

Which is a pro 'political machine' biased method.

if it was truly one man one vote the Dems did win....just.

But since PPP no longer exists and Puea Thai Party did NOT contest ANY elections,

the the Dems have an EQUAL POPULAR MANDATE to create a party.

And The Dems won a LARGER percentage of the population than Obama...

And much greater than McCain

Go figure.

Edited by animatic

You place far too much credit on Thaksin alone being able to manipulate every mind in Issan and North. Wake up and realise people are making up their own minds, they DON'T all think like you...........! Get it!

Do you realize how naive and misinformed you look like typing something like that? Have you been to some of the so-called talk shows/gatherings in Isaan or North? It's like mass hypnosis and the uneducated Isaans are really buying what is said. People are getting brainwashed there (besides getting the mandatory 100THB lunch money). Seeing your other posts in this forum, it is obvious your "information" comes from your Isaan friend. You definitely behave like one.

You said people are making up their own minds...joke of the day. Who do you think is instigating the violence and defamation of the Friends of Newin now? The Isaans loved them soooo much 1 month ago. Didn't they?

The only person who needs to wake up is you.

The majority of the Thai population, who are poor, face a Double Whammy. First, the elite Royalist are doing everything possible to take away their basic democratic rights.

The majority? The fact is that the vast majority of Thai voters voted for anti-Thaksin parties. The Thaksin PPP proxy party got a bit over 1/3rd the vote. Thaksin can keep on claiming he had some kind of electoral majority but it simply isn't true, the vast majority of people are now against him.

Althought I don't expect his propoganda campaign to let up.

Your logic is askew here. Obama was soundly defeated by a landslide by McCain in the US election amongst white people. Yet, to say that white people are against him is not quite so. Most have high hopes for the Obama administration. So it is in Thailand.

If I'm not mistaken a majority of whites have voted for the Republican party in several elections.It's not specifically an Obama issue.But as you say I think the vast majority of Americans are supportive of Obama, regardless of the way votes were cast.In addition Obama will of course be Head of State so there is an issue of patriotism for most Americans.Finally Americans broadly have a strong belief in their constitution, and that means playing by the rules.I think the hanging chads/Supreme Court aspects of Bush's first "victory" were extremely damaging, but the strength of the American system prevailed.

In Thailand not much of this applies.Nevertheless it's not helpful to say that the vast majority voted "against" Thaksin or hypothetically (in the next election) the vast majority voted "against" the PM's party (say Abhisit).It's in the nature of coalition government everywhere.One just has to play by the democratic rules.Fact is Thaksin did have an electoral mandate and he was illegally removed.(PAD fanatics -don't bother to react.I've heard the counter arguments a thousand times and they're full of holes.)One can argue his removal was necessary but it's intellectually dishonest to say he didn't have a mandate.The original poster claims that "the vast majority of people are against him now":obviously it's highly subjective but I would disagree.I do think he's too divisive a figure to make a come back but the game is far from over.

I agree that Thaksin was indeed removed illegally by a military coup, I even can understand the arguments that the courts are influenced to rule a verdict against him.

But this don't take the fact away that hes a pest for the country. And its better don't have such man as PM.

In the beginning of his political career my general and I admire him because we thought he could bring changes in the country. At last Thailand had an PM who act like a modern no nonsense CEO. But very soon the mask fell off. He became an CEO who act like Thailand was his private property. And there he got derailed. And even more dangerous is his hunger for power. I even think that he not even realize that he corrupted an whole nation. I even believe that all his billions are less important for him than the glory of power. Because power is a more powerful drug than cocaine.

And that's why hes a very dangerous man, who will ruin his country or himself. And I think the way hes doing now, hes really ruin himself, there is something psychological wrong with him. He don't realize and can not accept that is era is over. The powers who really control the country will do everything to brake him. And if he study a hen house he will know that all the hen pick a wounded chicken till its death. And all the politicians he like to bribe are like the bar girls in Pattaya who see an easy victim who has more cash than brains. In fact we are witnessing a human tragedy of a man who was so promising but ruin himself because hes a lousy poker player and don't understand the game, and also lost all sense of reality.

In history there have been much greater men than him who make the same mistakes. Napoleon was one of them.

hear hear WiresOK

Its taken them years to get to where we are today.

They had to have a coup and then the Junta replacing publicly elected judges with their choices

This fight is going to get dirty and NOT over by a long shot

LOL

Strangely the PAD and the Democrats have always respected the legal process here in Thailand. Even when the PAD leaders got in trouble they went to jail and then were released. When there was a court order they appealed. They in fact turned to the courts hoping that the courts would solve things legally on a suggestion :o

The Democrats are not allied with the PAD though they have had common cause in many instances when dealing with the TRT/PPP etc

I wonder which 'publicly elected judges' were replaced by the Junta? :D Can you name them?

LOL,

You said you were not reading my posts anymore, is this post a mirage, can it be believed, or have you just sobered up a bit?

Can you answer the question instead of acting like a child in every posting? This is why I really dislike so many of the 'new found stars' that joined recently to post. It's like you are all 17 year old and it's all about slagging off others instead of at least try to have a debate about something.

You place far too much credit on Thaksin alone being able to manipulate every mind in Issan and North.

Surely Thaksin didn't manipulate "every mind" in Isan and the North all alone, he had a huge electoral machine to do that. It's as undeniable as the fact that he built a personality cult there.

While Thaksin holds many attractions to the people of the northeast, one major issue is the mountain of consumer debt currently existing. After helping to create this consumer debt (mobile phones etc.,), Thaksin is viewed as the only one who can get this debt forgiven. Debt forgiveness was a key part of the PPP's 2007 election campaign, but the PPP never got around to focusing on this as they have been more worried about themselves. Hence, for the most part, the debt remains and will in many people's eyes until Thaksin is forgiven and brought back to "save" them.

And that is his biggest crime IMHO much more than his corruption. He put the ignorant and poor in even higher financial problems and debts.

[i agree that Thaksin was indeed removed illegally by a military coup, I even can understand the arguments that the courts are influenced to rule a verdict against him.

But this don't take the fact away that hes a pest for the country. And its better don't have such man as PM.

In fact we are witnessing a human tragedy of a man who was so promising but ruin himself because hes a lousy poker player and don't understand the game, and also lost all sense of reality.

In history there have been much greater men than him who make the same mistakes. Napoleon was one of them.

If I were him, I would ignore most of your reasoning and do my best to get back in power. :o

hear hear WiresOK

Its taken them years to get to where we are today.

They had to have a coup and then the Junta replacing publicly elected judges with their choices

This fight is going to get dirty and NOT over by a long shot

LOL

Strangely the PAD and the Democrats have always respected the legal process here in Thailand. Even when the PAD leaders got in trouble they went to jail and then were released. When there was a court order they appealed. They in fact turned to the courts hoping that the courts would solve things legally on a suggestion :o

The Democrats are not allied with the PAD though they have had common cause in many instances when dealing with the TRT/PPP etc

I wonder which 'publicly elected judges' were replaced by the Junta? :D Can you name them?

LOL,

You said you were not reading my posts anymore, is this post a mirage, can it be believed, or have you just sobered up a bit?

Can you answer the question instead of acting like a child in every posting? This is why I really dislike so many of the 'new found stars' that joined recently to post. It's like you are all 17 year old and it's all about slagging off others instead of at least try to have a debate about something.

almost makes one think they're all coming from the same keyboard, eh?

I review this thread about once a day. I look for lese majeste statements, and for the occasional news bulletins. I cannot believe that Taksin will let the Democrats take control. He will not allow it. I fear that Taksin will spill the blood of Thais not related to his family, before he stops fighting for total control of this kingdom.

[i agree that Thaksin was indeed removed illegally by a military coup, I even can understand the arguments that the courts are influenced to rule a verdict against him.

In fact we are witnessing a human tragedy of a man who was so promising but ruin himself because hes a lousy poker player and don't understand the game, and also lost all sense of reality.

If I were him, I would ignore most of your reasoning and do my best to get back in power. :o

When an German blue blood officer ( von Stauffenberg) who sworn loyalty to his commander, leader of the country (Hitler) tried to assassinate him was in fact an act of high treason and by law totally illegal, but could you blame him for doing so. Because he was doing this to protecting the nation for further misery.

I would emphazise that I don't compare Hitler with Thakisn, I only made an comparisation.

I agree that Thaksin was indeed removed illegally by a military coup, I even can understand the arguments that the courts are influenced to rule a verdict against him.

In the beginning of his political career my general and I admire him because we thought he could bring changes in the country. At last Thailand had an PM who act like a modern no nonsense CEO. But very soon the mask fell off. He became an CEO who act like Thailand was his private property. And there he got derailed. And even more dangerous is his hunger for power. I even think that he not even realize that he corrupted an whole nation. I even believe that all his billions are less important for him than the glory of power. Because power is a more powerful drug than cocaine.

And that's why hes a very dangerous man, who will ruin his country or himself. And I think the way hes doing now, hes really ruin himself, there is something psychological wrong with him. He don't realize and can not accept that is era is over. The powers who really control the country will do everything to brake him. And if he study a hen house he will know that all the hen pick a wounded chicken till its death. And all the politicians he like to bribe are like the bar girls in Pattaya who see an easy victim who has more cash than brains. In fact we are witnessing a human tragedy of a man who was so promising but ruin himself because hes a lousy poker player and don't understand the game, and also lost all sense of reality.

Could not agree more. It's like holding a pair of 3's and knowing the other player holds a pair of Kings and still think one can win.

PeaceBlondie that pretty much sums up my feelings too.

The guy is dead bent to retake control

and there are 76 billion reasons why that's

ALL he can think of at this point.

AND THAT MAKES HIM A DANGER TO THIS COUNTRY,

because the human toll of those both for an against him

is barely in his calculation...

When an German blue blood officer ( von Stauffenberg) who sworn loyalty to his commander, leader of the country (Hitler) tried to assassinate him was in fact an act of high treason and by law totally illegal, but could you blame him for doing so. Because he was doing this to protecting the nation for further misery.

I would emphazise that I don't compare Hitler with Thakisn, I only made an comparisation.

A valid comparison.

My biggest fear is Thaksin regaining control via a bloody fight.

He will likely then be moving toward a much closer Hitler comparison.

He has his brownshirts already, just in Red livery.

He has a target to supress too.

Someone to blame for 'his side's' lack of success in life.

Divide and conquer, create an 'us against them' environment,

then appeal to men's baser instincts vs their own country men

to maintain power over them. This is Thaksin's MO to a T.

Are those reports of changling 'MP's house's being sealed off in the north'

as a way of pressuring them back to Puea Thai, true?

If so it's madness starting.

Taking control in this way would lead to MANTAINING control in the same way.

His CLEARLY displayed paranoia would be a deathnell for peaceful coexistence in Thailand.

Edited by animatic

I review this thread about once a day. I look for lese majeste statements, and for the occasional news bulletins. I cannot believe that Taksin will let the Democrats take control. He will not allow it. I fear that Taksin will spill the blood of Thais not related to his family, before he stops fighting for total control of this kingdom.

I think Thaksin will try, nay is trying exactly that, but it really seems as if his power is evaporating. (thanks to Newin).

I look forward to the press release from Puea Thai party et al later today.

Pure speculation time: I wonder if we will see an attack on Abhisit or will they be smug? This will be very telling.

The latest comment by ex-prime minister Somchai Wongsawat: "The new leader I heard is someone who's handsome and kind. All the best to the new government. Everyone should start playing by the rules now because our problems were priminarily caused by the country's rules not being respected. As for me, it has been neither a loss nor a gain, just a great experience."

- The Nation / 2008-12-09

I think Thaksin will try, nay is trying exactly that, but it really seems as if his power is evaporating. (thanks to Newin).

Pure speculation time: I wonder if we will see an attack on Abhisit or will they be smug? This will be very telling.

I have to agree.....Thaskin knows what he wants, and his ego will not allow him to accept that he has drawn a loosing hand this time...While the great Pojaman, (the master manipulator), is working to save the day, I think a lot of the politicians finally see the light, and if they go with Thaskin, it will only be for a moment in history, as the government will not stand, and if the PAD do not bring it down, the military will. (as much as they are reluctant too).

When the major players are reported to refuse to even talk with Pojaman, and Newin tell him..."Yes boss, I know, but it is too late, let us go our seperate ways".

For me this has been one of the best things to happen to Thailand, and yes the Issan people are brain washed, (I know, my wife and myself deal with the people around her village, and they are fed all sorts of stories that are just far fetched)..(The south will rule Thailand, and demand we all be Muslims", "Thaskin paved the road into the village with his own money". But just the general awaking of the people to what is happening in Thailand is a healthy thing.

The plain fact is if the government does not have the backing of the industrial and monetary centers of Thailand, then it will fail. (And if permitted, there is -------------------------

The DADD will do as they promise, but since it is with a serious threat of violence, and not peaceful protest, they will be suppressed.

It should be an interesting New Years.

Adolf Hitler was a racist madman who had slaughtered millions of people for no reason that made any sense and was about to destroy his own country by ordering them to fight to the death with forces that he had no chance of defeating.

Thaksin has been accused of killing a bunch of drug dealers which most Thai people and many foreigners agree with and other than that, he is pretty much like every other local politician, only a lot more successful.

I really can't understand why he is so hated by some people and so loved by others.

You place far too much credit on Thaksin alone being able to manipulate every mind in Issan and North. Wake up and realise people are making up their own minds, they DON'T all think like you...........! Get it!

Do you realize how naive and misinformed you look like typing something like that? Have you been to some of the so-called talk shows/gatherings in Isaan or North? It's like mass hypnosis and the uneducated Isaans are really buying what is said. People are getting brainwashed there (besides getting the mandatory 100THB lunch money). Seeing your other posts in this forum, it is obvious your "information" comes from your Isaan friend. You definitely behave like one.

You said people are making up their own minds...joke of the day. Who do you think is instigating the violence and defamation of the Friends of Newin now? The Isaans loved them soooo much 1 month ago. Didn't they?

The only person who needs to wake up is you.

I fully agree with you.

However, to be fair, PAD/ASTV/Sondhi did the same, which resulted in airports closure. Not just Swampy & Don Muang, but also Phuket, Had Yai, Krabi.

I have to agree.....Thaskin knows what he wants, and his ego will not allow him to accept that he has drawn a loosing hand this time...While the great Pojaman, (the master manipulator), is working to save the day, I think a lot of the politicians finally see the light, and if they go with Thaskin, it will only be for a moment in history, as the government will not stand, and if the PAD do not bring it down, the military will. (as much as they are reluctant too).

When the major players are reported to refuse to even talk with Pojaman, and Newin tell him..."Yes boss, I know, but it is too late, let us go our seperate ways".

For me this has been one of the best things to happen to Thailand, and yes the Issan people are brain washed, (I know, my wife and myself deal with the people around her village, and they are fed all sorts of stories that are just far fetched)..(The south will rule Thailand, and demand we all be Muslims", "Thaskin paved the road into the village with his own money". But just the general awaking of the people to what is happening in Thailand is a healthy thing.

The plain fact is if the government does not have the backing of the industrial and monetary centers of Thailand, then it will fail. (And if permitted, -----------------------.

The DADD will do as they promise, but since it is with a serious threat of violence, and not peaceful protest, they will be suppressed.

It should be an interesting New Years.

Such stories are the perfect tool to go into a civil war. Like in Yugoslawia people friends are killing each other......Fighting for their religion is the best tool to create violence.....

Adolf Hitler was a racist madman who had slaughtered millions of people for no reason that made any sense and was about to destroy his own country by ordering them to fight to the death with forces that he had no chance of defeating.

Thaksin has been accused of killing a bunch of drug dealers which most Thai people and many foreigners agree with and other than that, he is pretty much like every other local politician, only a lot more successful.

I really can't understand why he is so hated by some people and so loved by others.

They tell about 50 % of the dead hadn't anything to do with drugs. So an estimate 1500 inocent people.

Thaksin did not sepperate between drug dealer and drug user. Someone with one marriuhana joint or that southern leafs some people eat was guilty.

Think someone shoot your wife or your child...mai pen rai....war against drugs.....did not had drugs....mai pen rai

This is presumably your way of saying Thaksin had huge majority support for his policies.I'm not sure it's very sensitive to start criticising personality cults in Thailand.However take the USA where Obama in many areas has an almost messiah like following

Everytime I see a Che Guevara like rendition of Obama I want to puke.

I'm sure there will be plenty of "bash Obama" games and skits on the likes of South Park very soon.

On that I can agree.

They tell about 50 % of the dead hadn't anything to do with drugs. So an estimate 1500 inocent people.

Thaksin did not sepperate between drug dealer and drug user. Someone with one marriuhana joint or that southern leafs some people eat was guilty.

Who is "they"? :o

ALeqM5jzcEXmdAU4fPXciN7U2Dg5XXn1Gg.jpg

Yinglak Shinawatra (center) attends a Puea Thai party meeting

AFP

Thai parties seek support as nation awaits new PM

BANGKOK (AFP / 45 minutes ago) — Thailand's two main political parties on Tuesday lobbied for support ahead of a crucial vote for a new prime minister which both the toppled ruling party and the opposition claim they can win.

The Democrat Party, the second largest in parliament, says it has wooed enough smaller parties and defectors from the former ruling People Power Party (PPP) to form a government with leader Abhisit Vejjajiva as premier.

It is vying to fill the vacuum created when a court last week dissolved the PPP over vote fraud charges, although the PPP's MPs have simply moved into a party known as Puea Thai (For Thais) and insist they can cling on to power.

The Democrats have called for an emergency session of parliament to prove their parliamentary majority and nominate the 44-year-old, Oxford-educated Abhisit.

The request is awaiting royal approval, which could take days.

The fierce power struggle comes after the November 25 to December 3 blockade of Bangkok's main airport by a royalist anti-government protest group, which brought Thailand to a standstill and badly dented the nation's image abroad.

"I am still confident that we are ready to find a solution for the country," Abhisit told reporters.

"Currently there are many types of pressure and lobbying, but I am still convinced that all parties and groups will give the Democrat Party a chance to lead the country out of this crisis," he added.

Democrat Party leaders claim to have won over about two-thirds of the 447 lawmakers currently sitting in parliament.

But Puea Thai -- which is made up of allies of ousted and exiled premier Thaksin Shinawatra -- continues to insist it has the support of at least 220 MPs in the House of Representatives.

Spokesman Pormpong Nopparit said the party may nominate a prime ministerial candidate from one of the five smaller parties to calm heated political tensions in the kingdom.

"Our principle is if Abhisit becomes prime minister or a Puea Thai member becomes prime minister there will be opposition from both groups of supporters," Pormpong told AFP.

"We are still discussing who should be nominated -- there are many people who qualify."

Yet your post did, if you are not comparing Hitler with Thaksin, then don't post something that is comparing the two....