Democrats To Form New Coalition Government

jdinasia

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another article they said that people were throwing shit at houses of MPs who defected to Dem led coalition.

The Reds do seem to have a fecal fetish. :o:D Perhaps a Freudian could help explain that.

Feces from the reds or used tampons from the yellows. Blockading airports and goverment buildings or blockading MPs houses. What a wonderful choice for the electorate :D

Personally think it may be in the best interests of the PTP to let the democrats form the government. I suspect Thailand may be in for a rough year or two regarding the economy and if the PTP can blame the 'democrats' for those problems, they could come back stronger than ever.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

The majority of the Thai population, who are poor, face a Double Whammy. First, the elite Royalist are doing everything possible to take away their basic democratic rights.

The majority? The fact is that the vast majority of Thai voters voted for anti-Thaksin parties. The Thaksin PPP proxy party got a bit over 1/3rd the vote. Thaksin can keep on claiming he had some kind of electoral majority but it simply isn't true, the vast majority of people are now against him.

Althought I don't expect his propoganda campaign to let up.

Your logic is askew here. Obama was soundly defeated by a landslide by McCain in the US election amongst white people. Yet, to say that white people are against him is not quite so. Most have high hopes for the Obama administration. So it is in Thailand.

Thaksin told it's all over

After his ex-wife Potjaman Damapong failed to get Newin Chidchob on the phone, former PM Thaksin Shinawatra had to make the call himself. A source at the PTP said Thaksin decided to call Newin after his once close aide refused to take calls from his wife and other key Party members. But Thaksin did not get the reply he was hoping for. Newin made it clear he would not let his faction join PTP and help form a new government. According to faction member Supachai Phosu, a Nakhon Phanom MP, Newin told his former boss: "Sir, everything is over." After not answering Potjaman's calls on Saturday, Newin had told some members of his faction "it's too late", Supachai said. His faction leader was now very selective about taking calls from members of the PTP, he

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/091208_News/09Dec2008_news02.php

Puea Thai Party plots to turn the tide

The PTP is refusing to throw in the towel, even as the Democrat Party yesterday led its new alliance to Parliament and formally requested a special session of the House to elect a new PM. Key PTP members huddled in a crisis meeting, hatching a plot to bring defecting MPs back into their camp. Under the plan, PTP MPs will team up in twos. They will be instructed by a core member and each pair tasked with convincing one defecting MP to return to the fold, a Party source said. PTP supporters in defecting MPs' constituencies will also put pressure on them to change their minds. Surapong Towijakchaikul, a PTP MP for Chiang Mai, said the meeting also mentioned the figure of two billion baht - money to be spent convincing the defectors to return and support the party in forming a government. House Speaker Chai Chidchob said he expected the House would meet in three days. After the election of a new PM he would resign as House Speaker.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/091208_News/09Dec2008_news04.php

So what happens if Thaksin buys the PM (again)? Seaport closures? Airport closures? Civil war?

*see below for a taste of what happens if he doesn't*

General fears North could be hit by unrest

Those about to lose power very unhappy

The Third Army commander yesterday expressed his worry over a looming threat of unrest by Thaksin supporters in the North. In a rare speech to scholars and community leaders in Chiang Mai province, Lt-Gen Wanathip Wongwaibegan said: "I came out to speak today because I love Chiang Mai." He said "bad things" were threatening the northern province, ranging from drug problems to ill-minded politicians, who cared only to compete for power and vested interests. He said he was worried about a report that some political groups which are about to lose power were planning to create confusion in Chiang Mai ahead of the appointment of a new government that is likely to be headed by the Democrat party, which is opposed to ousted PM Thaksin. In Chiang Rai, a group of unidentified men attacked the Doi Lai Plai Fa Buddhist meditation centre with M-16 assault rifles last night in an attack believed to have stemmed from a conflict between pro- and anti- Thaksin groups. Phra Duangdee Thitapunyo, who oversees the centre, and the other 10 worshippers who were inside the centre at the time survived the attack unscathed. However, the attackers caused damage to a water tank in front of the centre. Witnesses said a pick-up truck had been seen driving around the centre since late afternoon. At night, four men were seen getting off a pick-up and firing their guns at the centre. "We took cover inside the building for fear of being shot," said Wichian Kanarin, director for the dhamma training class at the centre. Police said it was still too early to say what motivated the attack, but Wichian believed it had something to do with the political activities of the centre's members. They earlier came to Bangkok to join the rally of the PAD and to donate food items to help the demonstrators. The ASTV news station's broadcast of the demonstration was also transmitted through a local radio station that was opened at the centre. Chiang Rai is a political stronghold of the disbanded PPP, which was connected to Thaksin. The centre was targeted by arsonists on Dec 3. The assailants torched the living quarters of Phra Duangdee. "Just let them shoot or burn. We will not react," Phra Duangdee said. The arson came after a red-clad group, led by Jiranan Jantawong, expressed dissatisfaction at the centre for allowing the radio to broadcast the PAD rally. After the arson, someone phoned the centre, threatening to set fire to shops and the worshippers' shelters if it continued to broadcast the PAD activities, Wichian said. He suspected the gunmen yesterday intended to destroy the water tank so that the centre would have no water to put out the fire if another arson attack was carried out.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/091208_News/09Dec2008_news12.php

Edited by sriracha john

~snip~

The whole barganing process is just another reason why political reform is necessary - politicians openly display complete lack of any ideology or convictions.

There's one for the 2007 constitution, MP's will jump ship and move whereever the wind blows, as long as the baht's are in the wind!

The corrupt Thai courts are demanding assurances from the militant, armed Paramilitary, terrorist ,fascist PAD ; and their Democrat Party instrument, that the reported 40m baht per head for the MP's to switch, will not be sourced from the their slush fund.

And again, do you have any evidence for your repeated claim, on this and other threads, that the PAD are the militant arm of the Democrats, or that the Democratic Party is an instrument of the PAD, as above. I think not ... or you would surely have posted it ? You damage the IMO-justifiable claim, that the two have some similar aims, and also your own credibility, by extending it further than justified by the facts available.

Any evidence of 40m Baht bribes, should perhaps better be sent to the E.C. or media, as it would be evidence of corruption, but where is the TRT-equivalent of the PAD, to blow the whistle when needed, on this and on corruption during the military-appointed government ?

. If you are so eductaed have you read the latest edition of the Economist, or better still read bangkok Pundit or Thai crisis or even better Absolutely bangkok and many others good websites

Has the Economist been canned in Thailand this week due to its cover story?

If so, you're not missing much, there's little new information in that story.

I thought the news, announced in the Economist article, that "police were suspected of hundreds of extra-judicial killings" in the war on drugs, was unusually sloppy reporting of what are generally accepted to have been 3,000 deaths ! But then it was in a paragraph which claimed that this was "his gravest abuse", talking about Thaksin, and "not entirely his fault". How many deaths would have been necessary, before the Economist condemned it outright, one wonders ?

The article also failed entirely to mention Thaksin's having dissolved parliament himself, then rigged the 2006-election & had it annulled by the E.C., prior to the 2006-coup, so it was hardly a full analysis of recent political-events.

But it was good, in that it said much which can't be said here, and called for increased freedom-of-information as a necessary part of any solution to the current situation.

Well done on responding.

You may not realise it but in doing so you have served democracy and free speech.Well done.

Sadly it seems I have a cross thread stalker, but as a seeker of truth and justice so be it.

Is it not true that for years now PAD/Dems have decried the thai courts as corrupt.

As you will know from my previous posts, I agree, the thai courts are corrupt.

Now I am intrigued, as a seeker of truth and justice, how , following the replacement of elected judges with appointed judges, thePAD/Dems now consider the judiciary lilly white, after they have been saying for years the courts are corrupt..

All I have seen is a barrage of one-eyed,unilateral,judgements against the democratically elected government.

So will the PAD/Dems please tell us after years of saying the courts are corrupt, why they are not corrupt.

Credibility on the line.

faschist PAD,militant PAD, armed PAD paramilitaries, anti-government terrorists!...all reported here on tv, and by the international media.

Are you denying the PAD are not armed, or hijackers, or terrorist!!

The dems know what they have got into.

No the PAD are NO terrorists. better you look to the violence by anarchists and left wing on the streets of Greece , than you can see real terror. And the international press not even call them terrorsist. I think you need some reality check before you call middle age women terrorists.

An MP source in the faction headed by Newin Chidchob said Puea Thai Party, backed by ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, had also re-sorted to new tactics to pressure MPs to leave the Democrat-led coalition.

"In some constituencies in northeastern provinces, villagers were asked to seal off the houses of MPs which have defected to the other camp [following the disbanding of ruling PPP]," the source said.

- The Nation / 2008-12-09

Which begs the question:

Would you even consider going into business with someone

who would have villagers seal of your home to make you side with them???

This would be both gangster madness and acts of utter desperation rolled into one.

Where is that thread about Thaksin warning about bloodshed from Dubai?

I for one support a Dem backed government if they are able to put the numbers forward. What I do have a problem with is the way you are blind to the concerns of voters. You post with incredible volume, but it so one sided I think it's time that you read a few of your writings before blogging away verbatim. Have you for one second considered voters in these constituencies actually are unhappy their representatives are jumping ship to join a party they sincerely believe are not going to govern in their best interest. The same comes from Plus and Hammered in repeatedly raving about vote buying. Now if vote buying was to be questioned, Buri Rum would be your first port of call, BUT as I have said consistently over years of political discussion, voters still vote for whom they feel have their best interests at heart. They are not stupid goats, when they've had enough of a party or candidate, they will be voted out eventually. This is why the 2006 coup was totally unnecessary, and so disasterous for the 1997 constitution. If the people have been allowed to ride themselves of Taksin then we would not be were we are today and this would and could have happened. It aint going to stop until the mass of grass roots poor tell Taksin they dont want him. Villagers have a right to express there unhappiness, I believe blockaiding a property is totally unnecessary, BUT look at what they have been taught in the last 3 months of PAD protests. Your the POT conveniently calling the KETTLE black!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can tell me you live in one of the safe TRT/PPP/PTP seats in North or North-East and have consulted many locals on their personal opions and they say they are wonderfully happy their representative is now a sudo-Dem and they are happy, let me know! Short of that, why post as you have above!

The whole barganing process is just another reason why political reform is necessary - politicians openly display complete lack of any ideology or convictions.

What sort of political reform will compel corrupt men to not act corruptly?

If their core values are gutter-dirt, then no amount of well-meaning laws will change that. They'll just skirt around the laws, or harrass the people upholding the laws, or change the laws by devious means, or pay people to throw excrement at the houses of whomever might be thwarting their efforts.

Does this mean Issan folks are eating more food mixed with prunes - in order to have more ammunition?

Hold on JJJ.

People in Isan still genuinly love Thaksin and believe in his sales pitch that Democrats are out to destroy them and keep them in slavery, some of them will surely be pissed off if their MPs suddely join Democrat led coalition, others will just shrug it off.

What has it got to do with vote buying?

Thaksin and PPP invested heavily to create this bond, and they keep pouring money in it, though the bulk goes to organisers at the moment, not to the farmers on the ground, which is understandable 'cos there's no need to buy votes, only MPs.

Also to maintain that love relationship Thaksin needs to organise his regular "Truth today" shows which are not cheap but arguably more effective than directly handing out a couple of 100 baht notes instead (assuming it's an average price of one person going to Bangkok to attend a stadium performance), and you get nationwide TV coverage as well.

The majority of the Thai population, who are poor, face a Double Whammy. First, the elite Royalist are doing everything possible to take away their basic democratic rights.

The majority? The fact is that the vast majority of Thai voters voted for anti-Thaksin parties. The Thaksin PPP proxy party got a bit over 1/3rd the vote. Thaksin can keep on claiming he had some kind of electoral majority but it simply isn't true, the vast majority of people are now against him.

Althought I don't expect his propoganda campaign to let up.

Your logic is askew here. Obama was soundly defeated by a landslide by McCain in the US election amongst white people. Yet, to say that white people are against him is not quite so. Most have high hopes for the Obama administration. So it is in Thailand.

If I'm not mistaken a majority of whites have voted for the Republican party in several elections.It's not specifically an Obama issue.But as you say I think the vast majority of Americans are supportive of Obama, regardless of the way votes were cast.In addition Obama will of course be Head of State so there is an issue of patriotism for most Americans.Finally Americans broadly have a strong belief in their constitution, and that means playing by the rules.I think the hanging chads/Supreme Court aspects of Bush's first "victory" were extremely damaging, but the strength of the American system prevailed.

In Thailand not much of this applies.Nevertheless it's not helpful to say that the vast majority voted "against" Thaksin or hypothetically (in the next election) the vast majority voted "against" the PM's party (say Abhisit).It's in the nature of coalition government everywhere.One just has to play by the democratic rules.Fact is Thaksin did have an electoral mandate and he was illegally removed.(PAD fanatics -don't bother to react.I've heard the counter arguments a thousand times and they're full of holes.)One can argue his removal was necessary but it's intellectually dishonest to say he didn't have a mandate.The original poster claims that "the vast majority of people are against him now":obviously it's highly subjective but I would disagree.I do think he's too divisive a figure to make a come back but the game is far from over.

So many opinions and words from many people.

TIT this is Thailand and in the moment there is only one thing sure, we who cannot vote, can only except the outcome, that we have to deal with the not ok yellow side or with the not ok red side.

And whoever loses in the moment will not stop to make problems.

There is no other solution and we have to live with that outcome.

Whatever you write here.

Hold on JJJ.

People in Isan still genuinly love Thaksin and believe in his sales pitch that Democrats are out to destroy them and keep them in slavery, some of them will surely be pissed off if their MPs suddely join Democrat led coalition, others will just shrug it off.

What has it got to do with vote buying?

Thaksin and PPP invested heavily to create this bond, and they keep pouring money in it, though the bulk goes to organisers at the moment, not to the farmers on the ground, which is understandable 'cos there's no need to buy votes, only MPs.

Also to maintain that love relationship Thaksin needs to organise his regular "Truth today" shows which are not cheap but arguably more effective than directly handing out a couple of 100 baht notes instead (assuming it's an average price of one person going to Bangkok to attend a stadium performance), and you get nationwide TV coverage as well.

You place far too much credit on Thaksin alone being able to manipulate every mind in Issan and North. Wake up and realise people are making up their own minds, they DON'T all think like you...........! Get it!

Motion for convening special House session submitted to HM's secretary

BANGKOK: -- House of Representatives Secretary-General Pithoon Pumhirand said Tuesday that he had submitted a motion, which seeks a royal command for convening a special House meeting, to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary.

Pithoon said the motion had been verified so it was passed on to the office.

Now, the House is awaiting a royal command to approve the special session of Parliament for the election of the next prime minister.

-- The Nation 2008-12-09

What sort of political reform will compel corrupt men to not act corruptly?

You don't ask!

Is it a set up question or what?

>>>>

The system itself creates demand for corruption - MPs are not doing what they are supposed to do, voters and party leaders have different expectations from them and people are not going into politics to serve the public - there's no need and no renumeration in that.

The needs and duties of the government and parliament do no correspond to needs and aspirations of electorate, the whole basic premise how the country should be governed is outdated.

So if you want to boil it down, picking yellow or red is a typical choice of choosing the lesser of two evils and that is a very subjective judgment. Its silly to demonize supporters of either side, as both sides are clearly very flawed.

Maybe, but the PAD have cost the country and the people an amazing amount of money at the worst possible time for it.

They may not be "demons", but they are unbelievably stupid and selfish.

You place far too much credit on Thaksin alone being able to manipulate every mind in Issan and North.

Surely Thaksin didn't manipulate "every mind" in Isan and the North all alone, he had a huge electoral machine to do that. It's as undeniable as the fact that he built a personality cult there.

You place far too much credit on Thaksin alone being able to manipulate every mind in Issan and North.

Surely Thaksin didn't manipulate "every mind" in Isan and the North all alone, he had a huge electoral machine to do that. It's as undeniable as the fact that he built a personality cult there.

This is presumably your way of saying Thaksin had huge majority support for his policies.I'm not sure it's very sensitive to start criticising personality cults in Thailand.However take the USA where Obama in many areas has an almost messiah like following (soon to be disappointed by "events" I'm afraid, remarkable politician that he is.)No doubt there are right wing hobbits there mumbling on websites about "personality cults".

Irony isn’t it. Apisit has all along calling for the parliament to be dissolved, so that the people can have a fresh election to choose new MP/government. He has always voice that that PM (Somchai/Samak) step down is not the way to go, nor will it solve Thailand problems.

But now, the favor is for him to be a PM. Has he gone back his words. Does he not want the parliament to be dissolved anymore? Does he not want a new election anymore?

I am not for or against him. I am just saying that all politicians (with no exception) are slimy like an eel. Not just the ex-Chat Thai leader. That shortly whose name I can't really spell properly.

While Thaksin holds many attractions to the people of the northeast, one major issue is the mountain of consumer debt currently existing. After helping to create this consumer debt (mobile phones etc.,), Thaksin is viewed as the only one who can get this debt forgiven. Debt forgiveness was a key part of the PPP's 2007 election campaign, but the PPP never got around to focusing on this as they have been more worried about themselves. Hence, for the most part, the debt remains and will in many people's eyes until Thaksin is forgiven and brought back to "save" them.

So what happens if Thaksin buys the PM (again)? Seaport closures? Airport closures? Civil war?

*see below for a taste of what happens if he doesn't*

General fears North could be hit by unrest

Those about to lose power very unhappy

The Third Army commander yesterday expressed his worry over a looming threat of unrest by Thaksin supporters in the North. In a rare speech to scholars and community leaders in Chiang Mai province, Lt-Gen Wanathip Wongwaibegan said: "I came out to speak today because I love Chiang Mai." He said "bad things" were threatening the northern province, ranging from drug problems to ill-minded politicians, who cared only to compete for power and vested interests. He said he was worried about a report that some political groups which are about to lose power were planning to create confusion in Chiang Mai ahead of the appointment of a new government that is likely to be headed by the Democrat party, which is opposed to ousted PM Thaksin. In Chiang Rai, a group of unidentified men attacked the Doi Lai Plai Fa Buddhist meditation centre with M-16 assault rifles last night in an attack believed to have stemmed from a conflict between pro- and anti- Thaksin groups. Phra Duangdee Thitapunyo, who oversees the centre, and the other 10 worshippers who were inside the centre at the time survived the attack unscathed. However, the attackers caused damage to a water tank in front of the centre. Witnesses said a pick-up truck had been seen driving around the centre since late afternoon. At night, four men were seen getting off a pick-up and firing their guns at the centre. "We took cover inside the building for fear of being shot," said Wichian Kanarin, director for the dhamma training class at the centre. Police said it was still too early to say what motivated the attack, but Wichian believed it had something to do with the political activities of the centre's members. They earlier came to Bangkok to join the rally of the PAD and to donate food items to help the demonstrators. The ASTV news station's broadcast of the demonstration was also transmitted through a local radio station that was opened at the centre. Chiang Rai is a political stronghold of the disbanded PPP, which was connected to Thaksin. The centre was targeted by arsonists on Dec 3. The assailants torched the living quarters of Phra Duangdee. "Just let them shoot or burn. We will not react," Phra Duangdee said. The arson came after a red-clad group, led by Jiranan Jantawong, expressed dissatisfaction at the centre for allowing the radio to broadcast the PAD rally. After the arson, someone phoned the centre, threatening to set fire to shops and the worshippers' shelters if it continued to broadcast the PAD activities, Wichian said. He suspected the gunmen yesterday intended to destroy the water tank so that the centre would have no water to put out the fire if another arson attack was carried out.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/091208_News/09Dec2008_news12.php

Snoh warns Abhisit of great upheaval

Pracharaj Party Leader Snoh Thienthong Tuesday warned Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva of a great upheaval if he becomes the next prime minister.

Snoh repeated his call for the establishment of a government of national unity whose prime minister must not be anyone from both the Democrat and Puea Thai Parties.

He said the social divisiveness was now serious that northeastern MPs could not visit homes just because their names were mentioned as the ones who would vote for Abhisit as the next prime minister.

- The Nation / 2008-12-09

This is presumably your way of saying Thaksin had huge majority support for his policies.I'm not sure it's very sensitive to start criticising personality cults in Thailand.However take the USA where Obama in many areas has an almost messiah like following

Everytime I see a Che Guevara like rendition of Obama I want to puke.

I'm sure there will be plenty of "bash Obama" games and skits on the likes of South Park very soon.

Cabinet expected to discuss House's dissolution

The Cabinet's meeting today (December 9) has shown potential towards discussing a possible lower House's dissolution.

The Cabinet meeting today will take place at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and be presided over by caretaker Prime Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul. Speculation has arisen that Chavarat may bring up the issue of lower House of Representatives' dissolution.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-09

Irony isn't it. Apisit has all along calling for the parliament to be dissolved, so that the people can have a fresh election to choose new MP/government. He has always voice that that PM (Somchai/Samak) step down is not the way to go, nor will it solve Thailand problems.

But now, the favor is for him to be a PM. Has he gone back his words. Does he not want the parliament to be dissolved anymore? Does he not want a new election anymore?

The man wipes Sondhi's behind.

412156523mt3ky9.jpg