Democrats To Form New Coalition Government

jdinasia

Democracy Thai style. And this is a change for the better???

Only in a sense that Thailand could get a working government for a change.

Things have been running fine for the past few years without any real government, personally I think they're overrated, especially in Thailand.

Well the last governments were hamstrung by people watching their every move

and howling loudly when they went off the reservation.

This created an atmosphere where it was MUCH harder

for them to screw the pooch at a national level,

with their own shenanigans. Of course they manged

dodgie doggie doings just fine on an INTERNATIONAL level...

Insert irony stir, then shake.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give them 100 GigaBaht and they will love you, is a GoGo-Bar democracy.

You don't buy one girl for short time, you buy the complete population for short time.

Is it what you really think of this country ? How can you live here ?

this is what Newin and you are saying.....It wasn't my idea to buy their love for 100 GigaBaht.

So those ignorant farmers should be completely ignored by the upcoming junta, shut up and keep tilling the rice? Just when I think your slanted comments have pushed the envelope as far as possible you always do manage to come up with another one.

Someone who sells their vote for 200 Baht should not be ignored, they are criminal and should be charged and banned from voting for lifetime. These who give the money should not be banned for 5 years, they should be banned for lifetime and all their money should be taken.

So easy is it. Who is abusing their democratic rights for 200 Baht is a criminal and damaging democracy.

By the way which junta is coming?? Do you refer to coalition lead by the Democrats as junta?

It's, perhaps, pointless saying this to you but;

How about Abhisit dishing out 40 million baht per MP, should he be banned for life too?

Edited by jasreeve17

How about Abhisit dishing out 40 million baht per MP, should he be banned for life too?

Evidence? Where did you read that?

The only thing I know is that TRT 3rd Edition is openly offering 55 Million per MP.

If found, I am not sure if it should be considered as corruption or as vote buying, but definitely both (who gives and who takes) must be removed from politic. Different than a farmer who might not full understand what he is doing, these are professionals and should put in jail.

Unfortunately it might be hard to proof. If the money is not given for MPs vote buying, if it is given to pay expenses (promotion for example) on the next election than it might be hard to proof that it was in fact vote buying.

Definitely this is a cancer in the parliamentary system, a MP should vote for what is best for the country and/or his area and not for the biggest payment. I recall the PAD calling the politicians "prostitutes" who sell themself to the who pays most.

If it can be proof that Abhisit is doing that he should be banned for life/put in jail, no question.

Evidence? Where did you read that?

The only thing I know is that TRT 3rd Edition is openly offering 55 Million per MP.

If found, I am not sure if it should be considered as corruption or as vote buying, but definitely both (who gives and who takes) must be removed from politic. Different than a farmer who might not full understand what he is doing, these are professionals and should put in jail.

Unfortunately it might be hard to proof. If the money is not given for MPs vote buying, if it is given to pay expenses (promotion for example) on the next election than it might be hard to proof that it was in fact vote buying.

Definitely this is a cancer in the parliamentary system, a MP should vote for what is best for the country and/or his area and not for the biggest payment. I recall the PAD calling the politicians "prostitutes" who sell themself to the who pays most.

If it can be proof that Abhisit is doing that he should be banned for life/put in jail, no question.

I'm glad to hear it. (Of course it's impossible to put the senior army members and their sponsors in prison.)

Ask around your Thai friends about the term 'new fridge', and who is currently giving them out. I've heard it from every quarter in the last week. They even have a joke for the roses symbolizing the fridge 'keys'...

Edited by jasreeve17

This looks more and more desperate for the Sheepocratic Party and Abhisit.

Its the sheep trying to round up the guard dogs scenario. Just as the Cliff Richard-A-Like thinks he is getting them into the pen, they will turn round and eat him.

I hope they do let him into power in the aftermath of the PAD shambles at the airport. Let them take the rap for the worst period in Thai history. It'll stop em ever been taken seriously again, even by their feeble minded brainwashed supporters.

Well you think too difficult....I never saw some difficult masterplan from the Thaksin side. Just obvious show of power.....

Newin will maintain the swing vote in the coalition, what greater power to tame the Dems agression, I for one support this scenerio where Taksin can be treated fairly, Sondthi L and PAD idiots can end up doing jail time with Mr T and that moron Prasong Soonsiri can be shipped off to a re-education camp in Laos.

My feeling is Newin sees things a lot further down the line than this. He intends to position as the long term arbiter of Thai politcs by controlling at least half of the Isaan, which is about the right number in terms of always being in government and niot too large to control.

He will make sure Abhisit floods the Isaan or at least the bits that interest Newin with all kinds of goodies and he will ensure the government stay in power a lot longer than people expect to try and ensure a post-Thaksin politcal climate in which the Dems will always be vying with a new and smaller PTP for government and in which Newin gets to choose and when the mood of those that count in the country changes he will be able to change sides.

However, for now Newin's bold move has been to assume a post-Thaksin politcal world is nigh and that his play is going to position him to command at least half of the Isaan. And dont forget the propoganda apparatus that spread the word of Thaksin in the southern Isaan was always the network of Newin...

Isn't Newin in the 3rd year of his 5-year ban from entering politics?

What I am sure of; Thaksin's repeated pledge in recent months/years that he's done with politics.

What a strange mix of screwballs in the halls of power in Thailand.

Additionally sad is the prospect that - the next general election won't change things. People still vote for who they're told/paid to vote for. Candidates are still appointed by their parties, so even voters who have a modicum of principles will vote, sheep-like, for the party slate.

There are no open debates and very little policy statements in Thai election campaigns. No debates, because there's too much fear of defamation suits. No policy statements for several reasons, including:

>>> people assume the big shots know best. Voters are too lazy to follow issues. Example; even when the PAD were occupying Bkk airports, all but a few TV's (I noticed) in my northern region were tuned to soaps.

>>> Politicians don't have any original or innovative ideas for solving problems. They get 18 years of schooling to sit still and learn by rote. They have had little incentive to think creatively. Voters and political candidates alike have learned that mindlessly following the herd is the way forward. If they follow a rich person, then they may get rich in the process.

There are no open debates and very little policy statements in Thai election campaigns. No debates, because there's too much fear of defamation suits. No policy statements for several reasons, including:

>>> people assume the big shots know best. Voters are too lazy to follow issues. Example; even when the PAD were occupying Bkk airports, all but a few TV's (I noticed) in my northern region were tuned to soaps.

>>> Politicians don't have any original or innovative ideas for solving problems. They get 18 years of schooling to sit still and learn by rote. They have had little incentive to think creatively. Voters and political candidates alike have learned that mindlessly following the herd is the way forward. If they follow a rich person, then they may get rich in the process.

You describe exactly why the political system in Thailand fails. And why they have the worldrecord of being a fledge democracy.

Ah come on, lighten up guys. How about a little early Xmas carol singing. Thought I would get you going with this one...

1,2,3 after me :o

Who is Abhisit’s true love?

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me a coup against my arch enemy.

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me a farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent me to Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love sent to me one in three MPs and Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to me some right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Somchai Wongsawat. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me an airport occupation, a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Somchai Wongsawat. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me PPP’s destruction, an airport occupation, a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and my new best friend Newin. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me 80 MP’s seduction, PPP’s destruction, an airport occupation, a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, 243 MPs and my new best friend Newin. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

(Rest assured, with practice this can be sung. Here is the music!)

Who is Abhisit's True Love?

Edited by cmsally

Its the sheep trying to round up the guard dogs scenario. Just as the Cliff Richard-A-Like thinks he is getting them into the pen, they will turn round and eat him.

I hope they do let him into power in the aftermath of the PAD shambles at the airport. Let them take the rap for the worst period in Thai history. It'll stop em ever been taken seriously again, even by their feeble minded brainwashed supporters.

It looks like the Dems are in (we'll know for sure on Monday), but Abhisit has sold his soul; PPP nutters / PAD nutters / army @$#*&@ / other.

He could have been a very good PM, potentially, under these circumstances he's nothing but a pawn for the 'same old *' which he will have to seve along with pleasing roguePPPers, fringe PADites and the middle class PAD / Dems who've been fooled by this entire undemocratic process.

Poor guy (though brought it upon himself, he could have waited and got the leadership through honest toil), there is no way he will have the strength to handle all these heavyweight powermongers.

This whole mess looks to have solved nothing, just (to nick a phrase of an esteemed poster;) turned up the heat on the pressure pot.

You describe exactly why the political system in Thailand fails. And why they have the worldrecord of being a fledge democracy.

Whatever people may say, Thailand is still the most democratic country in Asia.

As long as we agree to disagree, freedom will reign in Thailand.

Edited by Pierrot

You don't buy one girl for short time, you buy the complete population for short time.

this is what Newin and you are saying.....It wasn't my idea to buy their love for 100 GigaBaht.

So those ignorant farmers should be completely ignored by the upcoming junta, shut up and keep tilling the rice? Just when I think your slanted comments have pushed the envelope as far as possible you always do manage to come up with another one.

Someone who sells their vote for 200 Baht should not be ignored, they are criminal and should be charged and banned from voting for lifetime. These who give the money should not be banned for 5 years, they should be banned for lifetime and all their money should be taken.

So easy is it. Who is abusing their democratic rights for 200 Baht is a criminal and damaging democracy.

By the way which junta is coming?? Do you refer to coalition lead by the Democrats as junta?

Most candidates in most countries that have gained a following are woo'd by

parties with how much that party can put behind the candidate's next re-election bid.

Candidate raiied funds are a bench mark of his power, and lobbyists desires for his ear,

but the NATIONAL parties still contribut significantly to most all major canditaes war chests,

to ensure they stay on the team pathway.

Seen it in USA and Europe.

Not surprising to see candidates being courted with re-election funds here.

Excep a lot MORE just goes in the personal pocket here.

'Most candidates in most countries that have gained a following are woo'd by

parties with how much that party can put behind the candidate's next re-election bid.

Candidate raiied funds are a bench mark of his power, and lobbyists desires for his ear,

but the NATIONAL parties still contribut significantly to most all major canditaes war chests,

Excep a lot MORE just goes in the personal pocket here. '

But we're not talking about re-election funds are we? (Funds used by a political party for advertising and marketing.)

You may, or may not, like the way American politics is influenced by party contributions, but that's got nothing to do with Thai politics, or the corruption that we are discussing here!

It's insane to use irrelevant US political rules in an attempt to justify clearly, obviously and illegally corrupt dealings in Thailand.

Abhisit is giving fridges full of (army derrived) cash to banned (due to corruption) opposition party politicians in order to get their votes for PM. You are trying to condone this, and say it's somehow acceptable. Insanity, I won't be voting for you any time soon...

I recall the PAD calling the politicians "prostitutes" who sell themself to the who pays most.

Do you know that Santa Claus doesn't really exist ?

Santa Claus exist but they canceled his visa

Most candidates in most countries that have gained a following are woo'd by

Excep a lot MORE just goes in the personal pocket here.

In many European countries the parties get funding depending on the number of votes they got in the last election, and fund raising is prohibited.

Also there is a limit how much a candidate and a party can spend on elections. After the election they must prove how much they spend for the elections. A candidate or party who spend more than the limits can be punished.

The ultimate sanction is that they loose their funding for one or two years.

People have made such a mess of things. Let's let plants and animals take back what was theirs.

Currently, there are no wild mammals in northern Thailand, other than a rare little mouse or two. While power brokers are wrangling about money & face in Bkk, any bit of wildness in Thailand is fast disappearing.

Homo Sapians have taken over everywhere, with their trash, loudspeakers, fences/walls, and barking dogs. They're so filled with self-importance, that they'll mindlessly pave all the forests and glades with concrete and tar - if that's what city fathers think will bring in the most revenue.

samgrowth, jasreeve17, Pierrot, cmsally, grandpops, (and the MIA rainman along with all the regular 'un'usual suspects) What do you want, REALLY?

Sorry gang, but as long as Thaksin seeks to return, Sam Moon via The Economist and ilk and you all, absolutely DOOM Thailand to repeat and repeat and repeat the lesson's yet unlearned imho... Me? Even as a 'farang', like most Thais, just would like to see Thailand go forward... IF only a mad-man megalomaniac whom falsely portrays himself as a 'Mandela' and THE victim in all this (but places his greed, revenge and ego above the needs of a nation) would simply call it a day...

Unfortunately he won't of course and you all seem to cheer him on (whether outright admitting it or not). Thus, you're seemingly willing to 'protect' a continuation of predictable doom and repeat lessons unlearned, at ALL costs, even a nation's. WHAT do you REALLY want? No offence intended (just perplexed) and thank you for clarifying. Cheers all and here's hoping for better days ahead. :o

At the end of the day we / you need to ask and understand why is Thaksin so h_ell-bent on being back into power, is it to reclaim his billions currently on-hold as the result of court orders or is there some other ulterior motive. He certainly doesn't seem to need the cash to live as he please, although this has been curtailed somewhat in recent times due to being banned from at least one country that I know of, and I really doubt that his seemingly fanatical endeavour is in the interest and the betterment of Thailand and its people - so what is the reason?

When the red shirt fans going to put something constructive, because till now 99,9 % of their comments is ranting and bashing.

What an incredibly naive non-contribution ---- AND the audacity to nominate "ranting and bashing" from others.

Very well said.... :o

Yes well said indeed, I agree 99.9%. (BITB Ha Ha )

Ah come on, lighten up guys. How about a little early Xmas carol singing. Thought I would get you going with this one...

1,2,3 after me :o

Who is Abhisit’s true love?

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me a coup against my arch enemy.

On the second day of Christmas my true love sent to me a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love sent to me a farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love sent me to Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love sent to me one in three MPs and Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to me some right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Samak Sundaravej. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the ninth day of Christmas my true love sent to me a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Somchai Wongsawat. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the tenth day of Christmas my true love sent to me an airport occupation, a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and Somchai Wongsawat. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me PPP’s destruction, an airport occupation, a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, one in three MPs and my new best friend Newin. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me 80 MP’s seduction, PPP’s destruction, an airport occupation, a cook-show PM sacking, right royal backing, PAD attacking, 243 MPs and my new best friend Newin. A farcical referendum, a brand new constitution, a party dissolution and a coup against my arch enemy.

(Rest assured, with practice this can be sung. Here is the music!)

Who is Abhisit's True Love?

CMSallly, this is classic, a new Christmas classic has been written. I am saving it to my favorites and beginning to practice it on my ukelele right away!!!! :D

At the end of the day we / you need to ask and understand why is Thaksin so h_ell-bent on being back into power, is it to reclaim his billions currently on-hold as the result of court orders or is there some other ulterior motive. He certainly doesn't seem to need the cash to live as he please, although this has been curtailed somewhat in recent times due to being banned from at least one country that I know of, and I really doubt that his seemingly fanatical endeavour is in the interest and the betterment of Thailand and its people - so what is the reason?

Even tho your question is likely rhetorical, I'll venture an answer:

Thaksin wants to get back in the power seat because, for a man like him, no amount of wealth or power is enough.

He insatiably lusts after riches and the power he can wield over others. Thailand, to him, is like a grand game of chess. He's also been known to dress in royal robes while he was PM. I know first hand, because there was at least one gargantuan billboard in my town (Chiang Rai) showing just that. Unless it was a doctored photo, it as Thaksin himself draped in royal regalia holding royal-type objects (scepter, diploma, etc) - standing solemnly. I can't recall if there was a caption, but I wish I'd had a camera at the time.

I recall the PAD calling the politicians "prostitutes" who sell themself to the who pays most.

Actually I know that he does exist, as he was just in front of me in the queue at Immigration last week, arguing that he was only in-transit, so wouldn't need a work-permit for passing out presents while in the country ! And Customs really went through his red sack in detail too !! Then the traffic-cops wanted a 'bung', because he didn't use water-buffalo or a chang, to pull his vehicle along !!! :D

May I also agree with h90 that, if there is proof of Abhisit passing 40-million Baht bribes, he should suffer the consequences. And if 40m gets you life, would Thaksin/TRT/PPP/PTP get life-and-a-half for 55 million ?

Corruption is corruption, and needs to be exposed & punnished, wherever it is found. :o

I'ld like to ask an other question. Why is Sondhi ready to spend millions just to make sure Thaksin won't come back? Come on, when people describe Sondhi as an angel of purity fighting the evil Thaksin, it just makes me laugh. It's maybe time to realize that something very personal is going on between these two guys and we are just caught in the middle.

Actually I know that he does exist, as he was just in front of me in the queue at Immigration last week, arguing that he was only in-transit, so wouldn't need a work-permit for passing out presents while in the country ! And Customs really went through his red sack in detail too !! Then the traffic-cops wanted a 'bung', because he didn't use water-buffalo or a chang, to pull his vehicle along !!! :D

May I also agree with h90 that, if there is proof of Abhisit passing 40-million Baht bribes, he should suffer the consequences. And if 40m gets you life, would Thaksin/TRT/PPP/PTP get life-and-a-half for 55 million ?

Corruption is corruption, and needs to be exposed & punnished, wherever it is found. :o

I agree with your sentiments.

Additionally, on the one hand, we have posted a PTP MP confirming in a newspaper article the offers of money as a source, and only some unsubstantiated blog speculating that the Democrats have made offers of money. If there are additional sources (or even perhaps a missed post by me) that can expound on the above, please post.

Edited by sriracha john

I find myself agreeing with grandpops, that whoever is in charge over the next year will be blamed, for the economic-storm now hitting the country, unless they have some master spin-merchants on their team. Policies to help the poor, in Isaan and other parts of Thailand, are in-order, whoever now forms the government.

But what is the alternative to the Democrats ? The Presidential-Thaksin-Party with its personality-cult baggage ?? There is no centrist party, to step in now, and try to heal the split in society. The Dems have kept their hands squeaky-clean, over the past couple of years, unless you believe that they really do pull the strings on the PAD, so it is time to give them a try.

With fingers-crossed for a peaceful short-term future. :o

The problem is "reponsability". Society is less and less tolerant to corruption and wrong doing. But it can be a double edge sword. Two examples (real):

Small cities in France now have difficult time finding a mayor. Why ? Kids play in the street, one of them is hurt by a basketball loop that wasn't well fixed, the parents sue the mayor. Mayors in small towns can't afford lawyers, so now people think twice before accepting responsabilities.

A surgeon has a very promising cure for a debilitating illness. One patient really looks the ideal guy that can benefit from the treatment. Problem ? He's a lawyer. The surgeon won't take the risk.

Now if on top of that people use the law as a political tool ...

Meanwhile... Thaksin still has not "quit"... in fact... pointing out, that this is to be Thailand's New Prime Minister...

Pracha_promnok.jpg

Former Thaksin Cabinet Minister and current Puea Pandin Party Leader Pracha Promnok

In the proposed Democrat Coalition Cabinet there seems to be a fair and equitable distribution of seats and it's good that there's a lot of shared responsibility in that its makeup will depend on the various parties to submit valid candidates that are suitable and appropriate for their position and ministry (and FOR ONCE, THAT WOULD BE GREAT).

Comments for the following post:

Edited by sriracha john

Puea Thai Party pins hopes on Thaksin

Democrat Cabinet lineup emerging

The possible line-up for a Democrat-led government is emerging, but the Puea Thai Party (PTP) still hopes to break up this new alliance with a phone-in speech tomorrow by former PM Thaksin Shinawatra. The political gamesmanship is certain to intensify now that House Speaker Chai Chidchob has called a special session on Monday to elect a new PM. The Democrat-led alliance, comprising four small parties and a powerful faction led by Newin, has agreed in principle on the allocation of Cabinet seats. The Democrats have agreed to give 5 or 6 seats, including portfolios of Transport, Deputy Transport and Deputy Interior Minister to the Friends of Newin faction. The Democrats have agreed with Banharn that his new Chart Thai Pattana party will retain five Cabinet seats. Puea Pandin, which is said to be bargaining hard, expects five portfolios. It also hopes to enlist five more MPs, from the dissolved PPP, and will then negotiate for extra seats. Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana wants two seats - Energy and Deputy Finance Minister - while the dissolved Matchima Thipataya Party, which is looking to re-register as a new Party, has proposed switching the Natural Resources and Environment portfolio for the Commerce Minister's seat. A source in the PTP said the Party expects to take in at least 10 more MPs after Thaksin's phone-in. The Party has been pushing, through Pracharaj leader Sanoh Thienthong, for Puea Pandin Party Leader Pracha Promnok to be PM. Natthawut Saikua, of PTP, said MPs should listen hard to what Thaksin has to say. "They should also realise who had them elected as MPs in the first place," he said. Pongpan Sunthornchai claimed Pracha and Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana Party Leader Chettha Thanajaro have agreed to form a government with PTP, after being approached by Thaksin. The Democrats have asked their allies to be careful in picking candidates for Cabinet posts, he said. They should all be well-respected and qualified. "The goal of the formation of the government is to serve the public's needs," he said. Details of the allocation of Cabinet seats would be finalised after the selection of the PM.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/121208_News/12Dec2008_news01.php

Edited by sriracha john