Platonic Boyfriends

Platonic Boyfriends  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am aware of a surprisingly large number of sexless relationships between long-term gay partners here in Thailand. I mean to say, there is not sex between the two partners, or boyfriends, or whatever other labelling is used- the two partners may or may not have sex outside the relationship. However, the partners still refer to themselves quite often as 'boyfriends,' so I like to think of them as 'platonic boyfriends.'

Now, I am also aware that couples way back home are quite frequently sexless after a number of years- like, a LOT of years- and the partnership remains for love, convenience, financial and business arrangements, friendship, companionship, and a whole host of other good reasons. However, it seems to happen relatively quickly here. The point of this survey is to determine- without anyone necessarily needing to identify themselves- how soon this tends to happen.

The question is in regard to the most recent Thai partner with whom you have been in a long-term relationship (let's say more than 1 year). If anyone would bravely like to discuss the matter, feel free.

Personally speaking, I don't think sex is necessarily the end-all, be-all, but it certainly is an important element in what I would regard as a committed relationship with a boyfriend.

Difficult to say exactly what happens, but I know a lot of people in sexless relationships. I used to think that was silly--but now I have a better understanding. I think a lot of gay's have a roving eye--actually, a lot of men do. How and why sex stops is sometimes a little complex, but once it stops, it seems like it stays that way for a lot of people.

I love my partner dearly, I also find the relationship convenient. I can't imagine life without him, but sexually....well, my eyes are everywhere but at home. I, make sure that others know I have a boyfriend and there will be no relationship, no lunch or dinner dates, no phone calls etc. Just not interested in that at all. It's just sex and lust.

• 1 month later...

Still active here, little over 5 years - but we could easily slip into platonic for sure - we are kind of pro active about keeping that part of the relationship going. Both str8 and gay I think face this in a relationship - easy to allow boredom to slip in.

I think both my partner and I would be content in a boy friend relationship without sex, we both really love the relationship/companionship, but neither one of us likes the idea of the other playing outside with others so we try to keep each other content :-):-) ...........

hmmm - well maybe we are not 100% successful in eliminating wandering but we at least keep it down to a minimum by staying active with each other :o

I have never had a committed long-term relationship with a Thai.

The above makes me think that maybe most of us actually value something more permanent.

I myself am more active than my partner who is not that sexual. We still enjoy the company of eachothers a lot. It might turn quite platonic at some point but who cares? I think we would still stick together. If its all about just sex that I could get anywhere in Thailand without thinking much about it. But I always wonder what we really remember about sex afterwords? Not much I guess but other things can be rather vivid in our minds.