Nokia 5800 A New Iphone Killer?

livinthailandos

As an admitted Apple fan with an iPhone, I really find it hard to understand why people get so obsessed with touchscreen phones. There are a few things they are great for, namely browsing the internet and using some applications.

But they don't make great telephones, nor do they make a useful e-mail platform. I say this having tried about 10 different models (and finding the iPhone the best among them).

For a touchscreen device, the iPod Touch does the best job of anything; they need to just add bluetooth networking. Get a cheap phone to use as a phone...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the 5800 compare with the N95 (Black) 8gb version?

I have the N95 8GB Nokia and i just love it. Make sure that you have the latest firmware version on it.....31.0.015. It enhances quite a few of the apps on the phone and cures a couple of bugs. Battery life seems to be improved.

I mainly use mine for browsing the web using its GPRS EDGE (DTAC) or its WiFi abilty. Have it configured to pick up all my emails, Yahoo, Gmail etc.

The speakers on the phone are great. Often use it sat on a table to listen to music.

I,m not really a photo buff but the videos and the pictures seem pretty good to me.

Fab phone. IMO

I'm looking at buying a new phone. Main use would be standard calls, plus on occasion email checks and internet browsing (in Thailand Wifi, don't know yet for other countries while abroad once a year).

Music, pictures are nice but not really important.

Considering the quality of the sales staff in phone shops here on Phuket, anybody any suggestions what to buy?

It is a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack so any standard headphones can be connected.

I bought mine in Singapore a month ago and I really like it....

Slightly off topic...

Where can I get an adapter so i could use a 3.5 in my phone that only has a 2.5 jack?

I bought mine at a powerbuy at the Mall(i think that was it). Less than 100 Baht.

All Nokia 5800 owners might want to read:

http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/02/26/brea...ie-guarranteed/

thanks for that ballbreaker....interesting, will just wait for the speakers to go now. I can only assume a telephone boxed and ready to go on the 20 Feb would of been made before January.....so Im assuming I have one with bad speakers in it.....like the thousands of other people that lined up and got one on the 20th.... :o

Correction, I just looked on the box & it says Manufactured date 10/2/2009....so I'm no guessing this has the new speakers in it.

I cant seem to find where the telephone was made?

Edited by neverdie

I like the 5800, but as music is not my main priority, I think I will wait for the N97. I am still a die hard Nokia fan......can find a charger anywhere in the world :o

Edited by CDNinKS

I like the 5800, but as music is not my main priority, I think I will wait for the N97. I am still a die hard Nokia fan......can find a charger anywhere in the world :o

Bought mine today, used an IPhone and a N95 8 GB before. It is a very good phone and very well priced.

All I need is in it, it looks nice, it works nice. highly recommended.

I hate to spend + than 20,000 Bht for any phone, so this one is just right!!!!

Well done Nokia.

As an ex IT manager I am amazed at the 5800 and all it can do (for such a small package)

I ditched my IPSTAR (they are yet to collect the dish) for connecting to the 5800 EDGE

loads of rain in the south and still this 5800 chugs away both connected to the notebook or just the phone/internet

speed test are all good

at half the price of the iphone its a no brainer

question i need more software for it

anyone come across any good sites for d/l software?

• 3 weeks later...

many people calling me (while I am online using the internet) and SOME non DTAC calls getting diverted to the voice mail. I then have to call voice mail and then call them back. (cost)

I called DTAC to ask why I couldnt receive SOME calls (from other parties not DTAC ie AIS 12call)

They said it was the limitations of the service - i think not as they get 2 call costs from me for a diverted call.

DTAC said 3G will be the saving grace and then Thailand communications will all seamlessly integrate - all hail the holy 3g

My thinking is all calls can be accepted but are blocked by DTAC

Any ideas on this

As an ex IT manager I am amazed at the 5800 and all it can do (for such a small package)

I ditched my IPSTAR (they are yet to collect the dish) for connecting to the 5800 EDGE

loads of rain in the south and still this 5800 chugs away both connected to the notebook or just the phone/internet

speed test are all good

one software i bought was JOIKU professional

it WIFI's the signal from the Nokia

so sit the phone in the corner and then use the notebook to pick up the signal

works well and only 14.99 us bucks

the free light version blocks SKYPE, mail, and few other things

ALSO

i downloaded and installed SKYPE for Nokia N96

it works but some touch screen functions do not

ALSO you can use FRING

this software keeps you in touch like in messenger

however when you want to make contact you get the choice of messaging them, calling them on SKYPE call out, SKYPE free.

It works as I talked with someone in France, USA and Australia

many people calling me (while I am online using the internet) and SOME non DTAC calls getting diverted to the voice mail. I then have to call voice mail and then call them back. (cost)

I called DTAC to ask why I couldnt receive SOME calls (from other parties not DTAC ie AIS 12call)

They said it was the limitations of the service - i think not as they get 2 call costs from me for a diverted call.

DTAC said 3G will be the saving grace and then Thailand communications will all seamlessly integrate - all hail the holy 3g

My thinking is all calls can be accepted but are blocked by DTAC

Any ideas on this

speed test are all good

seems that callers on 900 are sent to voicemail

while 1800 callers are put through

MSN comes through while on line as well

• 2 weeks later...
How does the 5800 compare with the N95 (Black) 8gb version?

I have the N95 8GB Nokia and i just love it. Make sure that you have the latest firmware version on it.....31.0.015. It enhances quite a few of the apps on the phone and cures a couple of bugs. Battery life seems to be improved.

I mainly use mine for browsing the web using its GPRS EDGE (DTAC) or its WiFi abilty. Have it configured to pick up all my emails, Yahoo, Gmail etc.

The speakers on the phone are great. Often use it sat on a table to listen to music.

I,m not really a photo buff but the videos and the pictures seem pretty good to me.

Fab phone. IMO

Bought mine today, used an IPhone and a N95 8 GB before. It is a very good phone and very well priced.

All I need is in it, it looks nice, it works nice. highly recommended.

I hate to spend + than 20,000 Bht for any phone, so this one is just right!!!!

Well done Nokia.

I have the n95 8gb. Can I get it to sync with my macbook to carry/listen to my downloaded podcasts from itunes? Or is the iphone/ipod touch/ipod my only choice for this?

one software i bought was JOIKU professional

it WIFI's the signal from the Nokia

so sit the phone in the corner and then use the notebook to pick up the signal

works well and only 14.99 us bucks

Thats a nice feature, does it use up alot of the phone's battery when you do that?

I have the n95 8gb. Can I get it to sync with my macbook to carry/listen to my downloaded podcasts from itunes? Or is the iphone/ipod touch/ipod my only choice for this?

Why use itunes?

I download podcasts on my N95 using the preinstalled podcasting app, just connect via gprs or wifi and your away.

The N95 has a 5megapixel camera, and GPS using Nokia maps (including voice navigation) as well as being able to get email from exchange and POP3 accounts, plus because it has a Symbian OS it has a stack load of third party apps, games etc.

The only other phone I'd consider is a N97, and then only if my trusty N95 died

Edited by quiksilva

Hello,

Does anybody know url's of internet phoneshops in Thailand to check price and stock of the new Nokia 5800?

I asked in the local Nokia shop in Udonthani but nobody there could give any information.

Reading articles telling me that it will be available in januari 2009 in the phoneshops. Same story, nobody in the phoneshops can give an answer.

If anybody knows something, please post your comment here. I read about a selling price in MBK for 20.000 THB. This would be even more expensive than in Europe.

Thanks. :o

http://www.siamphone.com/home.htm

Why use itunes?

I download podcasts on my N95 using the preinstalled podcasting app, just connect via gprs or wifi and your away.

The N95 has a 5megapixel camera, and GPS using Nokia maps (including voice navigation) as well as being able to get email from exchange and POP3 accounts, plus because it has a Symbian OS it has a stack load of third party apps, games etc.

The only other phone I'd consider is a N97, and then only if my trusty N95 died

That's interesting and all very well. But I find it much more convenient to use itunes to browse and download podcasts on my macbook with which I'd like my portable device to sync. I used to sync the macbook with the ipod, but the latter recently died - and my palm pda soon will die too I'm now trying to figure out what my new purchase should be to get me back as neatly as possible to where I was, ie basic pda functions, podcast, and phone functions - and with the fewest devices - given that I have a macbook and an n95 8gb. Should it be iphone, ipod touch, a new palm, a new ipod - or which combination and why.

And I agree the n95 has a great camera - the best of any of the above.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a new phone lately and after all I've seen so far, I think the 5800 will be my next. When 3G will be available in Thailand, I will maybe rethink about the iPhone 3G, until then, my 13k will go on a Nokia 5800 XM and that's it. This way I will be able to avoid the pain of walking around with a ping pong bat in my pocket also

I bought a 5800 3 days ago for my g/f and have to admit its quite a package even more so considering I gave 11,900Baht for it. The GUI takes some getting used to but the combination of input methods is great. I had a play with an E75 which looks better in real life and has a solid feel to it. But the 320x240 screen coupled with a non fat fingered friendly qwerty put me off quite quickly.

I've currently got, and love my E66 easily the best Nokia and IMO better than the 5800 BUT after playing with the 5800 the N97 coupled with a qwerty keyboard has to be a massive winner. I'm curious on the release price seems the lack of tourists is making part-ex'ing your old phone almost not worth while. The shop where I paid 16k for my E66 3 months ago offered me 4k against a new phone, sorry would rather smash it up the wall than accept the 4k.

Any news on the Thai release date/price for the N97????

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, I dislike Itunes, bloatware on a par with windows software, and I really dislike itunes selling drm. I do not have an Ipod and their insistence on selling DRM music that is difficult (possible but a pain) to convert to a regular MP3 that I can play on my MP3 player makes me avoid their products.

Hint: MANUALLY MANAGE YOUR IPOD AUDIO AND VIDEO CONTENT!!!!!! No prob, no worry about DRM, get your MP3s on to your i-device however you want!

I love my iPhone. I have fourtrack - which is a four track recorder app, works great when I am working on song ideas at the piano. I can put down a piano, guitar, and a couple voices in a snap. Just one of the 10 apps I almost daily use. Where are the plethora of beautiful and useful apps for the Nokia?

I was a devout Nokia guy til a couple months ago. Now the iPhone is my main squeeze.

[second reason is that I can't imagine a phone that can't snap a picture and send it in an instant, instead of fuc_king around with e-mail then calling people to check their inboxes, and 99% never configure their phones to download e-mails anyway.

MMS and many other cool features will be available next week with the iPhone OS3 update....can't wait!

• 1 month later...

So ive been salivating a lot recently at the 5800 and thinking to finally unlock the purse strings to buy one (i prefer the term "frugal"..OK! :D) . Read a lot of reviews comparing the iphone to the 5800, but most seem to focus on the music side of things. Interested to know how the 5800 compares to the iphone for web browsing and net applications using wifi. Any thoughts? Love the iphone interface and design, but the 5800 seems packed with a lot of features and at under 12,000 baht now, its definitely value for money. Hows the iphone with the new OS3 update?

Deliberating whether i should pay a bit more for the iphone, or if the 5800 is still winning hands down.

Cheers for any feedback! :)

Also, at present i use a pay as you go sim from 12call. Might go for a package, but it suits me for now. Any problem with features on either phone using a pay as you go sim?

I posted this information on another thread.

Got a Nokia 5800 on the release date in Bkk. So that was about 5 months ago.

The phone has never been dropped or abused in any way. From new it had a few minor niggling problems where it locked up, but very occassionally.

Earlier this month the telephone started to malfunction and after two visits to Nokia care the phones touch screen mechanism was replaced that the phones program was also upgraded.

Anyway, other than that it is a great little phone.