Koh Phangan Visa Run Questions Under New Regulations - Help!

Hi,

Unfortunately I didn't get a visa before leaving the UK and came to Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption, under the belief that I could get it extended to 60 days at the immigration bureau here.

At the immigration bureau today they informed me that now only visa extensions of 7 days are possible. It is possible to do a visa run up to a maximum of twice, allowing a return of 15 days each time (no longer 30 days). I didn't get the 7 day extension as they advised that this would take up one of my two chances to get a 15 day entry if I did a border crossing.

My flight out of Bangkok to the UK is not until early March and as it stands, my current 30 day visa exemption expires on 7 Jan (or thereabouts) and even if I did 2 visa runs, I would still be required to leave by 5 Feb or so. I'd like to have the option to stay in Koh Phangan as long as possible.

I'd love any help figuring out

1) Do I need to leave a visa run until the last minute - i.e. the day before a visa expires, or on the actual day, to allow for the maximum time in Thailand?

2) Do I have any better options?! I am wondering whether to go to Vientienne to apply for 60 days. Does anyone know how long they take to process this in Vientienne?

3) If I max out my options for coming into the country (only 2 visa runs permitted), and then went - say - to Laos or India... would I still be able to come back in to take my flight from Bangkok? Would this mean I need to fly to Bangkok airport on the same day as my flight and shouldn't spend any time here?

Otherwise if anyone has heard anything else that could be helpful, I'd love to know.

Many thanks in advance.

x ifonlyalabama

1) Do I need to leave a visa run until the last minute - i.e. the day before a visa expires, or on the actual day, to allow for the maximum time in Thailand?

2) Do I have any better options?! I am wondering whether to go to Vientienne to apply for 60 days. Does anyone know how long they take to process this in Vientienne?

3) If I max out my options for coming into the country (only 2 visa runs permitted),

x ifonlyalabama

1. If making a border run for any reason its best to do it as close as possible to the last day to get more time. But next to last would be the shortest just incase you had a problem getting there.

2. Getting a tourist visa is best option. Vientiane, Penang and Kota Bharu give next day service. If you want a 2 entry visa Vientiane or Kota Bharu give those.

3. There is no longer any limit on the number of days you can have using visa exempt entries. And never was on the number of entries.

Edited by ubonjoe

I would also advise just going to Penang to get a tourist visa (60 days and you can extend it in Samui for another 30). Be aware that Firefly is horridly unreliable, so look up train/ferry schedules as backup, and also that you have to stay 2 days in Penang to wait for your visa.

...and it is two working days. Monday to Friday and be sure to check for both Thai and Malaysian national holidays. you can get a train to Butterworth if money is an issue. Or a bus if you are pushed. But it is a pretty long journey so flying is the best option. Also do not under any circumstances go with Chawang tours (based in Surat). many KP travel agents use them but just request that you don't. Trust me!

For a start you can do as many 15 day border runs as you want.

You can also go to Penang or Vientiene and get a 60 day Tourist Visa. 1,000 Baht. This can be extended by your friends at Samui Immigration for a further 30 days for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

Many thanks, I'm glad to hear this. For the record though, the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok did advise that 2 border runs was now the maximum. I guess there is some confusion.

Best wishes,

xifonlyalabama

For a start you can do as many 15 day border runs as you want.

You can also go to Penang or Vientiene and get a 60 day Tourist Visa. 1,000 Baht. This can be extended by your friends at Samui Immigration for a further 30 days for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

Many thanks, I'm glad to hear this. For the record though, the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok did advise that 2 border runs was now the maximum. I guess there is some confusion.

Best wishes,

xifonlyalabama

Maybe confusion on their part. Or more than likely bluff to keep you from doing border runs.

The new rules are clear in that there is no limit on entries or days on visa exempt entries.

Edited by ubonjoe

…For the record though, the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok did advise that 2 border runs was now the maximum. I guess there is some confusion…

Confusion or misunderstanding. The only relevance of the number 2 would be in saying that it now takes two border runs for what previously took only one border run to be able to stay in Thailand for 30 days.

--

Maestro