Are Diamonds Appreciated As Gifts By Thais?

Svenn

Is it a good idea to give my Thai gf some inexpensive diamond earrings (in the roughly $200 USD range) or do Thais generally only prefer things like 24kt gold that can be resold easily? I want it her to be able to sell it so it's not wasted money, but I'm worried cheap diamonds like that might not have a market in Thailand... thanks

Is it a good idea to give my Thai gf some inexpensive diamond earrings (in the roughly $200 USD range) or do Thais generally only prefer things like 24kt gold that can be resold easily? I want it her to be able to sell it so it's not wasted money, but I'm worried cheap diamonds like that might not have a market in Thailand... thanks

Buy Thai gold rather....

really depends on the demographic of thai person in question...ie: bargirls like the 23 carat thai gold(easily tradeable, quick face) , a high flying international thai businesswoman would probably prefer Tiffanys style white gold encrusted with diamonds

Stick to Thai gold, much better. Or even a chanot for a plot of land.

Thai gold is recognized everywhere in Thailand. A diamond to a non western girl might as well be viewed upon as cheap glass as they are not to hip to the ways of the rest of the world.

Most Thai girls will even be bummed if you get them a better grade of gold from your home country.

Crazy I know - but it is dead on & most people that live here would agree. Besides if the girl needed to get cash Thai gold is a quick sale as the country knows their gold & can resell no problem.

Give her gold!

really depends on the demographic of thai person in question...ie: bargirls like the 23 carat thai gold(easily tradeable, quick face) , a high flying international thai businesswoman would probably prefer Tiffanys style white gold encrusted with diamonds

Yeah and he is really going to get one of those for US$ 200.00... :o

Also disagree with your statement that only bargirls like Thai gold

I would disagree that only bargirls like Thai gold, but certainly gold is favoured by the lower classes.

if you can show me precisely where I stated "ONLY" ...i will buy you a diamond cod peice

(why do people take a post, then add their own words to it, and then rebut....hmmmmm)

This is what i said and my post mysteriously disapeared !.TRAFFIC WARDENS HAVE BEEN ABOUT ! :o

"Diamonds last forever".... is a sales pitch!

However, these gemstones are highly overvalued by the trade, for what they are, but thats another story.

going for ruby, sapphire, emerald or other colored stone could be asking for trouble unless you really know all about the meaning of the color and the stone in Thai!

The resale value of these items is very low compared to purchase price.

This would lower the risk of being sold, turned into cash at any chance.

As it is supposed to be a US$ 200 gift, I would go for thai gold - buys approx. one baht 1/2 ounce....and forget about it, it's a gift.

Edited by Samuian

But for the Kee Neow USD 200 you won't even be able to buy the respectable minimum of 1 Baht of gold. :wai::P

I suggest that to make an impression you should buy 3 Bahts, 2 around the neck and 1 around the wrist. Around USD 1,000 will make her happy for a day. :o:D

and then on and up the escalation ladder; Mobike, Pick up, Land, House, Dowry+Wedding :D :D :D

can we stop with the sarcastic better than thou comments?

the OP wishes to know if giving gold is better idea than diamond. you dont need to let him know if you want to spend more or less or whatever. thats what he wants to spend. if you have nothing to share on his question, you need not answer.

makes sense?

cheers everyone :o

"Most Thai girls will even be bummed if you get them a better grade of gold from your home country."

What would be a better grade of gold?

In most western countries jewelry is typically 14k or 18k gold.

I was going to say the same--whilst 22 Karat and also 24 Karat is available abroad, in general it is the 2 qualities that you mention--hence, Thai gold is generally better. I even had trouble selling UK sovereigns some years back!

But for the Kee Neow USD 200 you won't even be able to buy the respectable minimum of 1 Baht of gold. :jerk: :burp:

I suggest that to make an impression you should buy 3 Bahts, 2 around the neck and 1 around the wrist. Around USD 1,000 will make her happy for a day. :o:D

and then on and up the escalation ladder; Mobike, Pick up, Land, House, Dowry+Wedding :D:D:D

:wai::P

Thought it always started with a new telephone...then the gold, then the Mobike, land, house, Sin sot, wedding, life insurance policy...then....???

"Diamonds last forever".... is a sales pitch!

However, these gemstones are highly overvalued by the trade, for what they are, but thats another story.

going for ruby, sapphire, emerald or other colored stone could be asking for trouble unless you really know all about the meaning of the color and the stone in Thai!

The resale value of these items is very low compared to purchase price.

This would lower the risk of being sold, turned into cash at any chance.

As it is supposed to be a US$ 200 gift, I would go for thai gold - buys approx. one baht 1/2 ounce....and forget about it, it's a gift.

Actually he would get approx. half a baht= 7.5 gms, since gold is in the 12,000[=/-] baht/Baht range.

You want to give your girlfriend an expensive gift that she can later sell to recover the money?!

A rose by any other name......

Just give her the cash and save yourself another shopping trip.

[/quote

dont give her anything but her fee! she prolly not your gf anyway , sounds like an evening lady. what kind of person expects the receivee to recover the money?

Thought it always started with a new telephone...then the gold, then the Mobike, land, house, Sin sot, wedding, life insurance policy...then....???

Sorry, how on Earth did I manage to forget the muh-tuh?

I suppose the logical conclusion after the life insurance policy is you give her your life???? :o:D :D

Thai girls/Ladies across the social spectrum love Thai Gold. It shows wealth and is easily traded. Most Farangs are still on the plane on their way home when the trading takes place.................... :o

most higher educated Thai Girls know are laughing about the women who run around like a christmas tree. Just the lowest classes use a lot of gold (that gold which is sold per weight). They still like the gold as it is a safety, but they wouldn't wear big things. Only Isaan Farmer girls have these competition with the neighbors about who can hang themself more gold around the neck. They for sure wouldn't like a cheap diamond. While a Bangkok Business woman may love it.

Thai gold is a more liquid asset... so I would say that most Thai women's preference between Gold or Diamonds is directly related to their feeling of financial security.

The less secure they feel about their future financial situation, the more likely they would prefer Gold.

The more secure they feel about their future financial situation, the more likely they would prefer diamonds.

(this is the real reason... all of the Bar girl/country bumpkin/Hi-so girl freind comments above are just stereo types of people who normally fall into these two categories)

Just determine which group your girlfreind is in and that will give you your answer...

Edited by CWMcMurray

"Most Thai girls will even be bummed if you get them a better grade of gold from your home country."

What would be a better grade of gold?

In most western countries jewelry is typically 14k or 18k gold.

I actually bought her a 24kt bracelet from a vietnamese jeweler here in the states- she seemed pretty excited and i still laugh to this day remembering how she guessed the price exactly as soon as she laid eyes on it. the 24kt is so soft though, the bracelet kind of smooshed apart just with daily wear. i'm sure she can resell it