Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

read again please I wrote

I asked the question before, but I never get an answer, so I will ask it again

To all the expatriates who seems to be in favour of Thaksin

WOULD YOU LIKE IF A GUY LIKE THAKSIN WAS PM IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY?

If not to personal you can always tell us what is your home country.

emphasize

TO ALL EXPATRIATES This is clearly not a personal question to you. That this question is asked in your topic is purely accidental.

(your mistaken post "To all the expatriates who seems to be in favour of Thaksin" in a reply to me...lumping me into the "seems to favor group", hence my reply, so no I don't need to read again, but you should post more carefully to avoid confusion next time :o )

You wrote that in your opinion Thaksin is scum. In my opinion this is meaning you are happy that Thaksin and his party is out of the game.(my happyness is short lived, because of the way it went down, I am now left wondering if both sides use dirty tactics to win is the next guy going to be different?)

So now my questions:

do you think that Thaksin and his party was out of the game without the actions of the PAD?

(yes, I believe if they went about it purely democratic way they would have gotten to Thanksin's crownies out, just not as fast)

do you really think that leaving the former government 2 or 3 years longer in power controlled by Thaksin was beneficiary for the country? (no one knows how much longer it would have been, but yes if thats what it took to do it democraticly that is whats best.

I hate BUSH with a passion and I am all for people marching the streets in protest of him, but I would never ever support people taking over airports, trains, shutting down roads, taking tv stations in a effort to force him out.)

I'm a defender of democracy, and I presume so are you.

So we only have an disagreement about what is allowed as tools in a democracy to bring a government down. I don't know your nationality (if you read my post you just quoted you would see your answer), but as an continental European I think the PAD actions where legitimate, because they where used many times in continental Europe for the same reasons, and I presume you could be agreed with me that Europe is a democracy.

(just because a country is a democracy, does not mean the actions people take are always democratic, the actions PAD took to me are not democratic)

And you can't deny that besides a few regrettable incidents they have been very peaceful and without violence or burning and damaging shops, cars and public infrastructure. (yes no major fires or destroyed shops, only the taking of 4 airports, trying to silence the TV stations that did not report in their favor...thats does not fit into being democratic, part of being democratic is letting all sides be heard and people to make up their own mind, if you silent the oposing voice how is that democratic? Yet when asked the question most PRO-PAD actions people say its ok to take over the news stations)

So make up your mind and be honest with yourself, and share us your opinion about who is better for the future of the country Abhisit or Thaksin or one of his cronies. (is Abhisit better? I don't know I hope so but, time will tell... but the way he got into power looks very negitave to me and leaves me wondering if it will just be more of the same only from the otherside, Thinking that the people up north are Bangkoks servants does not sit well with me either)

I think its a very simply question to answer.

btw I never called Thaksin scum, even I don't like him at all. (You don't like him, I called him scum so??)

//edited to remove all the nested quotes. Edited by MyphuketLife

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you can't deny that besides a few regrettable incidents they have been very peaceful and without violence or burning and damaging shops, cars and public infrastructure.

No one stops them from protesting but blocking the working building of Prime Minister and blocking airports (not only 2) are illegal.

They don't damage shops, cars.... because these are cheap. They damaged the economy and image of Thailand.

Korn tipped for Finance, Prawit to get Defence

Democrat Party Deputy Leader Korn Chatikavanij will be Finance Minister and former army chief Gen Prawit Wongsuwan will be Defence Minister in the new government, a high-ranking source in the Democrats said yesterday. The economic team will also comprise Kobsak Sabhavasu, who will be a Deputy PM in charge of economic affairs, and an outsider, Veerachai Veerametheekul, who will be a PM's Office Minister, the source said, adding that Democrat Party Secretary-General Suthep Thaugsuban will be a Deputy PM in charge of security affairs. The four names were confirmed in the Party's talks last night as it allocated Cabinet posts to members and outsiders. A source in the faction loyal to Newin Chidchob said Interior and Transport will be given to MPs controlled by Buriram politician, with Chavarat Charnvirakul confirmed as Interior Minister. Mr Abhisit said the government's first priority was to revive the economy and he would present to parliament an economic stimulus package

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/181208_News/18Dec2008_news01.php

I think most of the people in the tourist industry who blame the closure of airports for the drops in tourism find this conclusion less frightening than the prospect that their industry will suffer very hard the coming 2 or 3 years. Personally I think that because of this financial crisis many companies in the leisure industry will face bankruptcy.

All of this is not meaning that the closure of the airports have no effect at all, but its IMHO strongly overrated.

Your predictions about the future very well might be correct, but a lot of people had already booked vacations for this year and had intended to take them. Things would not have been as lucrative as other years, but it was already obvious that it would not have been a bad high season if things in Thailand had remained stable and businesses could have save a little cushion for the low season. However, certain fascist thugs took over the airport and ruined high season for almost everybody. :o

Facist Thugs??

I only see them outside parliament wearing Red shirts and injuring people and damage property and vehicles.

phupaman

Why not let the democratic process work? It was working and working in their favor, I mean it’s not like the courts were working against the PAD, it’s got to be the first time in any countries history that the head guy gets canned for being on a TV cooking show.

1. The reason was the insistence of Somchai to re-write the Constitution, so as to eliminate the authority of the Privy counsil et al... and remove those laws the demand a 5 year ban of party officers found guilty of corruption.

2. The plan was never to seize the airport...(Look at Don Muong..just demonstrate at 1st), but they went to Suvanaphom to greet Somchai on his return from Peru. His plane was mechanically delayed, which nobody expected, and the AOT chief ordered the airport closed even though they did not try and breech the secure areas of the airport. It just sort of fed on itself, met the needs of the PAD to become the center of attention. Hence the great airport closure. Now the AOT is a political animal and ows its allegiance to the party in power. So the public statements by the AoT to the effect that it would take 15 days to restore flights, 5 days to reboot computers....etc, all was done to make PAD in the worst light possible. Even before the protest had started to wind down. they started to operate cargo flights from the airport without any delay..

So the answer is the PAD could not risk having the government put in place an new constitution, and white wash all the sins of the TRT and PPP, as well as Thaskin.

While many on this board (being overwhelmingly non-Thai) focus on the tourism aspect of what the protest cost, stepping back and looking at the overall picture of how Thailand was at the crossroads, and the next step would determine which way the country would go, it is not surprising the Thai's (PAD, Military, et al) put little emphasis on the damage to the tourism of the country.

they left BEFORE it was clear that the TRT/PPP/PTP group was not going to lead the next government.

Court cut 111 members out from TRT.

Cut some more recently in Dec.

As the result, PTP does not have many voices like they did in the past.

This was planned far ahead when they made the Constitution Law.

The key point is to punish Khun Thaksin and to reduce members of TRT/PPP/PTP.

they left BEFORE it was clear that the TRT/PPP/PTP group was not going to lead the next government.

If they really want to punish Thaksin then sign up to the international court tomorrow.... imho

"Will you just answer my questions"

"No, you answer mine first"

"Just answer...'yes' or 'no'?

"Not until you answer mine"

"You didn't read what I wrote"

"Stop taking my comments out of context"

.....shouldn't debates like this be held in Washington Square bars.

I would fly there to debate, but I am worried when the next airport closers will happen :o

The key point is that TRT/PPP were both dissolved for ELECTORAL FRAUD. They have no place in Parliament and got off pretty dam_n lightly in my view.

Thaksin's phone-in casting doubts on government and vowing to return

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra made a telephone call to his supporters on Wednesday's night raising doubts whether the government can tackle economic woes and vowing to return to his homeland.

Thaksin's phone-in happened during the fund-raising dinner for the "Truth Today" rally. It also coincided with the inauguration of the Abhisit Vejjajiva government.

Thaksin attacked the grabbing of power by concerted efforts of the judiciary, the military, and the Democrat Party.

He said he doubted whether the Democrat-led coalition would last or be able to solve any problems since it had to pay high prices in the form of money, Cabinet quotas and cars in exchange for the coalition alliance.

He added that he was confident he could stage his comeback and return to serve the country once again.

Of 70 Chinese banquet tables, about 30 were filled raising about 500,000 baht per table. Organisers said they collected 17 million baht, half of the targetted funds, from the event.

- The Nation / 2008-12-18

I fear he won't even be allowed to do what he thinks to be right because of the mess that the system is in right now. That said, I am not even sure he knows what HE wants to do.

He promised PAD not to adjust the Constitution Law.

He promised Newin Group to adjust it.

Now what can he do?

He promised anything in order to sneak to PM chair.

No wonder he's flopping all around angry

Why not angry when he was down by a coup?

Why not angry when they concentrate only on him because he was the PM they hate?

Why not angry when the handsome Ab- went up by using tricks?

emphasize

TO ALL EXPATRIATES This is clearly not a personal question to you. That this question is asked in your topic is purely accidental.

(your mistaken post "To all the expatriates who seems to be in favour of Thaksin" in a reply to me...lumping me into the "seems to favor group", hence my reply, so no I don't need to read again, but you should post more carefully to avoid confusion next time :o )

You wrote that in your opinion Thaksin is scum. In my opinion this is meaning you are happy that Thaksin and his party is out of the game.(my happyness is short lived, because of the way it went down, I am now left wondering if both sides use dirty tactics to win is the next guy going to be different?)

So now my questions:

do you think that Thaksin and his party was out of the game without the actions of the PAD?

(yes, I believe if they went about it purely democratic way they would have gotten to Thanksin's crownies out, just not as fast)

do you really think that leaving the former government 2 or 3 years longer in power controlled by Thaksin was beneficiary for the country? (no one knows how much longer it would have been, but yes if thats what it took to do it democraticly that is whats best.

I hate BUSH with a passion and I am all for people marching the streets in protest of him, but I would never ever support people taking over airports, trains, shutting down roads, taking tv stations in a effort to force him out.)

So we only have an disagreement about what is allowed as tools in a democracy to bring a government down. I don't know your nationality (if you read my post you just quoted you would see your answer), but as an continental European I think the PAD actions where legitimate, because they where used many times in continental Europe for the same reasons, and I presume you could be agreed with me that Europe is a democracy.

(just because a country is a democracy, does not mean the actions people take are always democratic, the actions PAD took to me are not democratic)

And you can't deny that besides a few regrettable incidents they have been very peaceful and without violence or burning and damaging shops, cars and public infrastructure. (yes no major fires or destroyed shops, only the taking of 4 airports, trying to silence the TV stations that did not report in their favor...thats does not fit into being democratic, part of being democratic is letting all sides be heard and people to make up their own mind, if you silent the oposing voice how is that democratic? Yet when asked the question most PRO-PAD actions people say its ok to take over the news stations)

So make up your mind and be honest with yourself, and share us your opinion about who is better for the future of the country Abhisit or Thaksin or one of his cronies. (is Abhisit better? I don't know I hope so but, time will tell... but the way he got into power looks very negitave to me and leaves me wondering if it will just be more of the same only from the otherside, Thinking that the people up north are Bangkoks servants does not sit well with me either)

btw I never called Thaksin scum, even I don't like him at all. (You don't like him, I called him scum so??)

//edited to remove all the nested quotes.

So if the cronies did had the change to change the constitution to make it possible that Thaksin came back to power its was OK for you, even when it was meaning ruining the country?

I respect your opinion to reject the actions of PAD, but you should think about the meaning of this old quotes.

Carl Schurz: The peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: "Our country -- when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right."

H. L. Mencken:

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.

A true patriot is the one who defend his country against the wrongdoings of his government.

unkown source

The PAD just follow those quotes.

^ ^ Thaksin is strapped for cash. He's having to resort to fund-raising dinners... :D :D .... and, at which, there is waning interest.. :o No wonder he's flopping all around angry.... :D

Word is he had his class 10 military mates handing out the threats last weekend and is trying to use them to undermine stability. It willbe interesting to see how many of them remain loyal to Thaksin. There certainly are a couiple of nasty in that side but....

I repeat this again - there was a widespread support for a political change, the courts, the military, politicians, bureaucrats, businesses - every one had enough of PPP's nonsense, but only courts had power to legally remove it so no one else had made a move.

I believe that they had allot of support, and at the end of the day it was happening, just not as fast as PAD wanted.

Why not let the democratic process work? It was working and working in their favor, I mean it’s not like the courts were working against the PAD, it’s got to be the first time in any countries history that the head guy gets canned for being on a TV cooking show.

No, democratic process wasn't working, parliament wasn't working, courts were not working fast enough - not to satisfy PAD but to save themselves.

If not for PAD protests, PPP would have rewritten the constitution back in March and nullify all AEC work, nullify ALL investigations against Thaksin, and the Court itself. They would have made party dissolution unconstitutional, too.

They had Weng's draft on a standby on Nov 24, too, if PAD hadn't blocked that session. After that was blocked, they had scheduled next session for Dec 8 and they would have brought thousands of red shirts to shield the parliament from PAD.

Courts were never fast enough for PPP, only PAD had been able to slow them down.

captacc6a6382f7c401cb71134c24b56637.jpg
capt414c7d8d3d9c4f36b7f97923e1bcfed.jpg

capt16c86ddcb37144b4a12fe4beb0a2e68.jpg

captad0500106ade4fb5b9feae625530b24.jpg

captbdb5a8417c6f48959172520b17b1317.jpg

Police to Stop Using Tear Gas to Disperse Crowds

The city police have called a meeting of riot control police officers to clarify their power and better understand their duties after allowing red-shirt protesters to vandalise MPs' cars on the day the Lower House voted for the new PM.

The police also insist that they will no longer use tear gas to disperse demonstrations.

Deputy Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Police Major-General Ekkarat Meepreecha has admitted that the police made several errors when controlling the red-shirt protesters in front of Parliament on the day the Lower Chamber voted for the country's new PM.

Police Major General Ekkarat stated that the city police were poorly prepared for the gathering. He added that police officers were also having problems understanding their line of duty, which allowed the pro-Thaksin protesters in red shirts to vandalise vehicles belonging to MPs as well as state property.

As a result, the city police have called a meeting of riot control police officers today to create a better understanding of their duties in preparation for the day the Democrat-led government announces its policies before the House of Representatives.

The city police deputy chief believes there will be more red-shirt demonstrators protesting against the new administration on the policy announcement day than on the day the House voted for the new premier.

Police Major-General Ekkarat also confirmed that the police will apply softer measures to control the crowd and will gradually use a harsher approach, should the situation get out of control.

He also guaranteed that no one will be injured from tear gas because the Metropolitan Police Bureau has now prohibited the use of tear gas to disperse crowds.

At the same time, riot control police officers attended a practise drill for handling violent protesters in preparation for the new government's policy announcement day.

- TOC / 2008-12-17

Edited by sriracha john

emphasize

So now my questions:

//edited to remove all the nested quotes.

So if the cronies did had the change to change the constitution to make it possible that Thaksin came back to power its was OK for you, even when it was meaning ruining the country?

I respect your opinion to reject the actions of PAD, but you should think about the meaning of this old quotes.

Carl Schurz: The peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: "Our country -- when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right."

H. L. Mencken:

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.

A true patriot is the one who defend his country against the wrongdoings of his government.

unkown source

The PAD just follow those quotes.

Yes, he'd still be better than the leadership where I live. Even if 15% of the state budget did mysteriously vanish.

It would be good if UDD/PTP dropped their Thaksin affiliation and turned their democratic rhetoric in actual ideology. They might face a serious downsize but, if they are sincere, people will accept them.

So far they are only Thaksin's travelling circus, not a party.

No, democratic process wasn't working, parliament wasn't working, courts were not working fast enough - not to satisfy PAD but to save themselves.

If not for PAD protests, PPP would have rewritten the constitution back in March and nullify all AEC work, nullify ALL investigations against Thaksin, and the Court itself. They would have made party dissolution unconstitutional, too.

They had Weng's draft on a standby on Nov 24, too, if PAD hadn't blocked that session. After that was blocked, they had scheduled next session for Dec 8 and they would have brought thousands of red shirts to shield the parliament from PAD.

Courts were never fast enough for PPP, only PAD had been able to slow them down.

Back in march, where the PAD blocking airports, or taking over TV stations? or did they stop the constitution re-write in a peaceful democratic protest? I think that proves my point....

Edited by MyphuketLife

Hmmmmm.......you mean instead of ' I saved the world ' Gordon Brown ??? :o Thats a tricky one . Er....

eeny meany miney moe ......etc

Frankly yes in the unfortunate event that Thaksin made his way back to power, the people during the next voting cycle have the ability to correct the wrong if the majority feels it’s wrong. But that’s a big what if, do the majority of Thai people not want Thaksin or his crownies in power? Would Thaksin have made it back into power? no one knows for sure.

But again if the airports were not closed, and if Thaksin managed to make it back into power, the voting people have the ability to decide if they want to "correct it" during the next voting cycle.

The only way I would ever support or agree with the actions the PAD took is if the government took away their rights to vote... Put someone in power and decided the country would never have any other elections.... then I am all for bringing things to a grinding halt.... but that did not happen (PAD are the ones that want to suppress peoples votes oddly enough)

Edited by MyphuketLife

Back in March coalition partners got cold feet when PAD took to the streets and PPP withdrew, temporarily. Later on the issue was raised again and again, testing protest limits. Eventually PPP got Weng's draft proposal that could have been voted in at any time.

If not for Parliament blockade they would have done it.

Do you think if PAD had once a month gatherings at Sanam Luang it would have persuaded PPP to drop the rewrite? Not a chance. Tthe fact is that even losing the govt house didn't stop the government, even losing the airport.

Do you need quotes from Samak saying that PAD protests are nothing, that he was going to ignore them. They were saying the same thing after PAD started live-in protests, they said the same thing after they lost the govt house, Somchai even set himself a new office, totally ignoring PAD.

In return PAD upped the ante with every govt move, gradually increasing the pressure until something else gave in - the courts. One thing is clear - PAD didn't have enough pressure to force the govt hand. I repeat - it was not ENOUGH.

Don't worry about these figures...

More are on the chopping board.

You can consolidate the total figures later. :D

ps

The key point is not to 'punish' Toxin. If he did no wrong in the first place, do you think he is what he is (at) today? The more he struggle, he more he is going to get entangled . The net has closed on him.

We should fry him and raise some funds !

Cheers! :o

CNN interview Mark V. As usual Dan Rivers give Mark a hard time. But with his diplomatic charm and good English, Mark managed to pull through all right. Unlike Samak.

Much better than Samak - but that's not difficult. Not sure about "a hard time" - but that's a matter of subjective opinion. Anyhow, IMO well worth watching the whole interview - this bit caught my attention:

DR: Why then did senior Democrats and other politicians go and visit the army commander - General Anupong? What has he got to do with this political situation?

A: I'm not aware of, er, that kind of meeting........ but the army chief has said..... that he has expressed views on how the country should move forward and he wasn't partisan.

DR: But did you consult General Anupong?

A: I've never consulted -

DR: Never? You've never...... never consulted with him in the last few weeks about the situation?

A: No, no.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/200...ref=videosearch

Court Issues Arrest Warrants for 6 Pro-PPP Protesters

Arrest warrants have been issued for 6 members of the red shirt protesters who threw rocks and bricks at vehicles carrying MPs as they were leaving Parliament on Monday.

A large number of red shirt or pro-PPP supporters gathered in front of Parliament on Monday to observe the nomination of the new premier. They later reacted angrily to Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva being voted as the 27th premier of Thailand.

The protesters shouted abuses at the MPs who voted for Abhisit while they were leaving Parliament. Some threw rocks and unidentified liquid, believed to be acid, at the passing vehicles carrying Democrats and non-PTP MPs. Several Democrats MPs sustained minor injuries.

- TOC / 2008-12-18