Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

Court Issues Arrest Warrants for 6 Pro-PPP Protesters

Arrest warrants have been issued for 6 members of the red shirt protesters who threw rocks and bricks at vehicles carrying MPs as they were leaving Parliament on Monday.

A large number of red shirt or pro-PPP supporters gathered in front of Parliament on Monday to observe the nomination of the new premier. They later reacted angrily to Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva being voted as the 27th premier of Thailand.

The protesters shouted abuses at the MPs who voted for Abhisit while they were leaving Parliament. Some threw rocks and unidentified liquid, believed to be acid, at the passing vehicles carrying Democrats and non-PTP MPs. Several Democrats MPs sustained minor injuries.

- TOC / 2008-12-18

Ha ha. This is what you get is you don't have backers like PAD.

Serve them right for not wearing yellow.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in March coalition partners got cold feet when PAD took to the streets and PPP withdrew, temporarily. Later on the issue was raised again and again, testing protest limits. Eventually PPP got Weng's draft proposal that could have been voted in at any time.

If not for Parliament blockade they would have done it.

Do you think if PAD had once a month gatherings at Sanam Luang it would have persuaded PPP to drop the rewrite? Not a chance. Tthe fact is that even losing the govt house didn't stop the government, even losing the airport.

Do you need quotes from Samak saying that PAD protests are nothing, that he was going to ignore them. They were saying the same thing after PAD started live-in protests, they said the same thing after they lost the govt house, Somchai even set himself a new office, totally ignoring PAD.

In return PAD upped the ante with every govt move, gradually increasing the pressure until something else gave in - the courts. One thing is clear - PAD didn't have enough pressure to force the govt hand. I repeat - it was not ENOUGH.

However, shuting down Swampy & Don Muang has enough power to force any govt, court, PM, Thaksin, god, godess, you name it.

For gods sake no.... I did not say that I said he was the only one punished.... The whole lot should be punished.... law aplies both ways right?

The law does NOT apply both way. 6 RED will be arrested and sentenced soon. The YELLOW walks free from capturing Govt House , Don Muang & Swampy. Does the law still applies both ways?

For gods sake no.... I did not say that I said he was the only one punished.... The whole lot should be punished.... law aplies both ways right?

The law does NOT apply both way. 6 RED will be arrested and sentenced soon. The YELLOW walks free from capturing Govt House , Don Muang & Swampy. Does the law still applies both ways?

I know it doesn't that was sarcasm... I don't for one minute believe the laws have been applied both ways, rather one sided. For one side its ok for another its illegal.

"Will you just answer my questions"

"No, you answer mine first"

"Just answer...'yes' or 'no'?

"Not until you answer mine"

"You didn't read what I wrote"

"Stop taking my comments out of context"

.....shouldn't debates like this be held in Washington Square bars.

Boring pains in the @rse - they need to get a life.

"Will you just answer my questions"

"No, you answer mine first"

"Just answer...'yes' or 'no'?

"Not until you answer mine"

"You didn't read what I wrote"

"Stop taking my comments out of context"

.....shouldn't debates like this be held in Washington Square bars.

Boring pains in the @rse - they need to get a life.

You mean a life of posting such great points to a forum :o

However, shuting down Swampy & Don Muang has enough power to force any govt, court, PM, Thaksin, god, godess, you name it.

Exclude the government from that list. It didn't give up. There was not enough pressure for the government, the steam let out through other parts in the system, notably the courts and coalition partners switching sides.

...shutting down of the airport was well out of order.

And people should go to jail for it (and I don't care what Plus says !)

It's not that simple.

First, PAD didn't meant to shutdown the airport when they went there at first, that wasn't part of the plan. It has forced the judiciary to speed up their job, however. PPP would have passed the amendments BEFORE the original schedule and we can only speculate what would have happened on that day, especially if they mobilised enough reds to protect teh parliament. Two possible outcomes - Weng's draft accepted, everything reverts to 1997 constitution, courts have no legitimacy, Thaksin's conviction has no legitimacy, and so on. Unacceptable. Second outcome - there's a bloody violent fight between reds and yellows, the army moves in and takes power. Unacceptable.

Second, at that moment PAD didn't do anything illegal, they haven't broke through secure areas and confined themselves to the public areas. Charge them for obstructing traffic, at most. The decision to close the airport came from AOT. Maybe PAD has done things that were illegal AFTER the airport was closed, like walked past passport control. Charge them wih illegal entry to Thailand?

Reds smashing windows of passing cars were clearly breaking laws, there's no other way to put it.

^ Come on don't be coy..... "PAD didn't mean to shut down the airport"

But they did stick thousands of people in front of it and forbade access, and stayed put for a week.

Please don't insult our intelligence with these semantic arabesques. You undermine the valid arguments that you do raise whenever you offer such far-fetched explanations.

A person can't put themselves in a position that is highly likely to cause mayhem, and then disclaim all responsibility for the mayhem that follows. The Law in any civilised country won't accept that as a defence.

Edited by Journalist

...shutting down of the airport was well out of order.

And people should go to jail for it (and I don't care what Plus says !)

It's not that simple.

First, PAD didn't meant to shutdown the airport when they went there at first, that wasn't part of the plan. It has forced the judiciary to speed up their job, however. PPP would have passed the amendments BEFORE the original schedule and we can only speculate what would have happened on that day, especially if they mobilised enough reds to protect teh parliament. Two possible outcomes - Weng's draft accepted, everything reverts to 1997 constitution, courts have no legitimacy, Thaksin's conviction has no legitimacy, and so on. Unacceptable. Second outcome - there's a bloody violent fight between reds and yellows, the army moves in and takes power. Unacceptable.

Second, at that moment PAD didn't do anything illegal, they haven't broke through secure areas and confined themselves to the public areas. Charge them for obstructing traffic, at most. The decision to close the airport came from AOT. Maybe PAD has done things that were illegal AFTER the airport was closed, like walked past passport control. Charge them wih illegal entry to Thailand?

Reds smashing windows of passing cars were clearly breaking laws, there's no other way to put it.

:D wow oh wow I am lost for words... PAD expects the courts to be legitimate when the courts rule against the PPP, but the PAD does not respect the court enough to honor the court orders to leave the government building or the airports? funny the court decisions are right and legitimate as long as they don't decide against us :o .....

^ Come on don't be coy..... "PAD didn't mean to shut down the airport"

But they did stick thousands of people in front of it and forbade access

Please don't insult our intelligence with these semantic arabesques. You undermine the valid arguments that you do raise when you do this.

A person can't put themselves in a position that is highly likely to cause mayhem, and then disclaim all responsibility for the mayhem that follows. The Law in any civilised country won't accept that as a defence.

Exactly if I shoot my gun in the air, and a stray bullet kills some one.... Even though my "intention" was not to kill some one, I still did, and its still illegal.

^ Yes i'm afraid when Plus is in this sort of frame of mind its time to switch off Thaivisa.

"PAD didn't mean to shut down the airport"

I've never heard such a daft excuse - given the way they conducted themselves. Of course the likelihood that their occupation would result in closure was part of their original game plan. In fact it was a strategic masterpiece.

My 3 year old comes up with more convincing explanations of his bad behaviour than Plus' attempts to portray PAD's every act as being righteous !

Edited by Journalist

Right...we agree on that! Sadly I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to prove the even-handedness (or not) of the courts before politicians from both sides are forced to start cleaning up their act.

PAD didn't mean to shut down the airport.

I can find a quote from Chamlong expressing his surprise at how things turned out. He said he would have done it long ago if he'd known it was so successful.

As for legality - yes, they shut down the road leading to it. So what can you charge them with? Traffic obstruction?

AOT decided to close the airport because the safety of the passengers was compromised, they coulnd't gurantee it, not because PAD had taken over control tower or something like that.

I insist they hadn't done anything illegal at that point, apart from blocking the road. There could be something during their week long stay there, like cooking in the halls or sleeping on floors.

Simply being at the airport is not an act of terrorism or even tresspassing.

Has AOT ceded control of the airport at any time during the protest? I don't think so.

Rubbish.

Makes no more sense than someone dumping 100 tons of cow manure outside your front door, then saying its not their fault when you can't get outside.

You're just making yourself look silly and nonsensical now with your poodle-like devotions and ludicrous explanations, but whatever, go ahead.....its amusing....

I can find a quote from Chamlong expressing his surprise at how things turned out. He said he would have done it long ago if he'd known it was so successful.

As for legality - yes, they shut down the road leading to it. So what can you charge them with? Traffic obstruction?

AOT decided to close the airport because the safety of the passengers was compromised, they coulnd't gurantee it, not because PAD had taken over control tower or something like that.

I insist they hadn't done anything illegal at that point, apart from blocking the road. There could be something during their week long stay there, like cooking in the halls or sleeping on floors.

Simply being at the airport is not an act of terrorism or even tresspassing.

Has AOT ceded control of the airport at any time during the protest? I don't think so.

Court ordered to leave, and you don't that’s not trespassing?

How could they not intend to overtake the airport, did they or did they not do the same exact thing in Phuket and Krabi just a month earlier? Did they not see it shut the airports down?

It was successful, he successfully shut down an airport.... :o

Remind me on that day when the airport was shut down by "aot" what was the cause of the passengers safety being compromised? I was always under the impression that it was a mob of people wearing yellow shirts, maybe I over looked the real reason please explain.

You are losing what little creditability you may have had when you post this non-sense.

Edited by MyphuketLife

Makes no more sense than someone dumping 100 tons of cow manure outside your front door, then saying its not their fault when you can't get outside.

Actually in that case you can charge them with dumping manure on a public road, but not for burglary.

There's a letter in BP today proposing setting up special armed units to prevent this kind of airport takeover in the future.

Good idea, but what if PAD, or reds, block highways leading to it? There are only two access roads - Motorway and King Keaw. AOT would be forced to shut the airport again as passengers would have no ways to go in or out.

Blocking roads is a usual Thai pastime, they do it for all kinds of reasons, no one is ever charged.

As I said - it's not so simple to charge PAD with anything serious. They didn't block the runways, for example, didn't seize the control.

Court also gave them fifteen days to appeal, they didn't have to go anywhere during that time.

Waste of time trying to enlighten Plus.......the courts clearly have no intention of appling the law to any of the misdeeds of PAD (who were backed and protected by we all know who). Discharging firearms in the street, murdering dissenters in cold blood, who cares? PAD can do anything they like, and get away with it.

Wait and see how swiftly and harshly the same courts will punish the few Reds who broke a few car windows. (Strange how all those Democrat MP's could afford Mercs - I thought they were all squeeky clean? :o )

Just for reference:

Protocol for the Suppression of Unlawful Acts of Violence at Airports Serving International Civil Aviation

source: http://www.nti.org/e_research/official_doc...pdfs/civair.pdf

Signed by Thailand and in effect since 13.06.1996

source: http://www.icao.int/icao/en/leb/Via.pdf

Compliance and Enforcement: The convention requires states to make the offenses punishable by severe penalties, and it lays out guidelines for custody of suspects. States Parties are required to either extradite the offender or submit the case for prosecution. States Parties are also required to assist each other in connection with criminal proceedings brought under the convention.

Supplementary to the Convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against the Safety of Civil Aviation Done at Montreal on 23 September 1971

source: http://www.ciaonet.org/cbr/cbr00/video/cbr...cbr_ctd_35.html

Article II

destroys or seriously damages the facilities of an airport serving international civil aviation or aircraft not in service located thereon or disrupts the services of the airport, if such an act endangers or is likely to endanger safety at that airport."

Article 82 of The Constitution of Thailand 2550 (2007)

The State shall promote relations and cooperation with other countries and shall adhere to the equal treatment principle and comply with treaties related to human rights to which Thailand becomes a party as well as international obligations made with other countries and international organisations.

Grandma Nium congratulates Abhisit

By The Nation Dec 18 2008

In a heartfelt telephone call on Thursday aired by Channel 7, granma Nium Phanmanee, 84, has congratulated Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and gave him a blessing to stay long in office to bring about the country's prosperity.

11-12.jpg

"I am glad you still keep my ring which I gave you with all my love and sincerity," she said.

In his reply, Abhisit has pledged not to disappoint his favourite grandma.

"I am 100 per cent committed to serve the country," he said, adding that he would reciprocate her goodwill by doing his job in developing the country.

He also wished her good health.

Nium, a villager from Muang Sam Sip district, Ubon Ratchathani, rose to prominence overnight after Abhisit mentioned her name in his speech on Wednesday following the ceremony to receive the royal command on his appointment.

He said he was reminded about his bond with Isaan people at all times after Nium gave him the ring as a memento for his engagement and commitment to the Northeast.

He met her during his campaign trial for the December 23 general election.

www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/18/politics/politics_30091324.php

Actually in that case you can charge them with dumping manure on a public road, but not for burglary.

There's a letter in BP today proposing setting up special armed units to prevent this kind of airport takeover in the future.

Good idea, but what if PAD, or reds, block highways leading to it? There are only two access roads - Motorway and King Keaw. AOT would be forced to shut the airport again as passengers would have no ways to go in or out.

Blocking roads is a usual Thai pastime, they do it for all kinds of reasons, no one is ever charged.

As I said - it's not so simple to charge PAD with anything serious. They didn't block the runways, for example, didn't seize the control.

Court also gave them fifteen days to appeal, they didn't have to go anywhere during that time.

I like how you don't comment on the other points... just the court order..... can't spin the answers to the other points?

And they did storm the control tower don't you remember... They did block airplanes from leaving and only gave some permission to leave... how were they not in control?

If taking the airport was ok as you say, why is it a good idea to "special armed units to prevent this kind of airport takeover in the future"? If was ok then surely its ok for other groups to do the same?

^Then you won't object to the reds doing precisely the same thing and having a big tea party on the airport approach roads.

And I trust you won't be calling for them to be evicted !

The reds have already proved time and time again that they're incapable of anything as civilised as a tea party. They'd be standing in the road hurling bricks at the traffic.

In a heartfelt telephone call on Thursday aired by Channel 7, granma Nium Phanmanee, 84, has congratulated Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and gave him a blessing to stay long in office to bring about the country's prosperity.

11-12.jpg

I share in Gran Nium Phanmanee's sentiment for a brighter, more inclusive and more unified future for all Thailand.

Deeply respectful wai to Gran Nium :o

11-12.jpg

I share in Gran Nium Phanmanee's sentiment for a brighter, more inclusive and more unified future for all Thailand.

Cue one disparaging comment from Phuket, Grandpops or Journo....

11-12.jpg

Cue one disparaging comment from Phuket, Grandpops or Journo....

She looks like General Sanan Kachornprasart - in drag.