Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

Grandma Nium congratulates Abhisit

By The Nation Dec 18 2008

In a heartfelt telephone call on Thursday aired by Channel 7, granma Nium Phanmanee, 84, has congratulated Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and gave him a blessing to stay long in office to bring about the country's prosperity.

11-12.jpg

I share in Gran Nium Phanmanee's sentiment for a brighter, more inclusive and more unified future for all Thailand.

Deeply respectful wai to Gran Nium :o

Cue one disparaging comment from Phuket, Grandpops or Journo....

She looks like General Sanan Kachornprasart - in drag.

Never be predictable...you lose your edge that way.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a heartfelt telephone call on Thursday aired by Channel 7, granma Nium Phanmanee, 84, has congratulated Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and gave him a blessing to stay long in office to bring about the country's prosperity.

11-12.jpg

I share in Gran Nium Phanmanee's sentiment for a brighter, more inclusive and more unified future for all Thailand.

She looks like General Sanan Kachornprasart - in drag.

How dare you talk about my grandmother like that! I doubt that we'll see Grandpops comment though, she's his wife.

11-12.jpg

"I am glad you still keep my ring which I gave you with all my love and sincerity," she said.

In his reply, Abhisit has pledged not to disappoint his favourite grandma.

"I am 100 per cent committed to serve the country," he said, adding that he would reciprocate her goodwill by doing his job in developing the country.

He also wished her good health.

Nium, a villager from Muang Sam Sip district, Ubon Ratchathani, rose to prominence overnight after Abhisit mentioned her name in his speech on Wednesday following the ceremony to receive the royal command on his appointment.

He said he was reminded about his bond with Isaan people at all times after Nium gave him the ring as a memento for his engagement and commitment to the Northeast.

He met her during his campaign trial for the December 23 general election.

www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/18/politics/politics_30091324.php

Thought it better to include the entire reference for last-page readers... (hopefully the publicity won't cause Gran Nium's house to become a red-target...) :o

PS: personally, I think she's a beauty, for all the right reasons.

Edited by baht&sold

PM's SMS might violate privacy: consumer advocate

Consumer advocate Saree Ongsomwang on Thursday reminded about the possible offence on the privacy after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva chose to stay in touch with his constituents via text messaging.

Saree said under the telcommunication law, mobile phone operators are banned from releasing the list of subscribers without their consent.

She said Abhisit should opt to keep contacts with the people via television and other public communication outlets in order to avoid infringing on the consumer's right.

The Democrat Party should not place financial burden on mobile phone users, she said.

Democrat MP Korn Chatikavanij, tipped to become the finance minister, asked every mobile phone operator to transmit a text message to subscribers on Thursday.

The message read, " I am your new PM committed to lead Thailand out of the crisis. If you are interested to receive my messages, please send your five-digit postal code to telephone No 9191 (Bt3 standard rate applies)". It was signed "Your PM".

Source: The Nation - 18 December 2008

11-12.jpg

why would I give a disparaging comment about a grandma that had a very positive dealing with the new pm? I hope that he continues to work with the people like this, god or budha knows the country could use it.

I will direct a disparaging comment in your direction, as if you read any posts you would see I have not wished any ill will only that both sides be held accountable to the law...

Consumer advocate Saree Ongsomwang on Thursday reminded about the possible offence on the privacy after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva chose to stay in touch with his constituents via text messaging.

Saree said under the telcommunication law, mobile phone operators are banned from releasing the list of subscribers without their consent.

She said Abhisit should opt to keep contacts with the people via television and other public communication outlets in order to avoid infringing on the consumer's right.

The Democrat Party should not place financial burden on mobile phone users, she said.

Democrat MP Korn Chatikavanij, tipped to become the finance minister, asked every mobile phone operator to transmit a text message to subscribers on Thursday.

The message read, " I am your new PM committed to lead Thailand out of the crisis. If you are interested to receive my messages, please send your five-digit postal code to telephone No 9191 (Bt3 standard rate applies)". It was signed "Your PM".

I dont see that Abhisit has done anything wrong here, the telecom companies were asked to sent the sms's if they did it, surley it is them that are breaking the law, I could understand it if Abhisit had "Ordered" them to do it, but from what i have read they were "Asked" to do it by Korn Chatikavanij.

FF

I dont see that Abhisit has done anything wrong here, the telecom companies were asked to sent the sms's if they did it, surley it is them that are breaking the law, I could understand it if Abhisit had "Ordered" them to do it, but from what i have read they were "Asked" to do it by Korn Chatikavanij.

FF

ummm... "...asked ..... to transmit a text message..." not "asked for a list of subscribers numbers..." big difference

however, even though I see this as a misinterpretation of the rules (how strange! :o ) I'm glad... I already get too much spam on my mobile... and THAT is from the mobile phone operator...

errr... so it's ok to send irrelevant unwanted unsolicited advertising (with no "opt-out" option) but not potentially important political communication... which, if it carries a "(Bt3 standard rate applies)" would automatically include an "opt-out"...

hahaha as I keep saying "all part of the fun!"

At least Toff Boris achieved his position via democratic means.he was duly elected by the people.

However Toff Abhisit achieved his position via anti-democratic means, and a fascist organisation wanting to deny the vote to the poor.

This is what leads me so say that deep down, in his heart of hearts, Abhisit knows he is a fraud.

He knows his government is based upon anti-democratic pillars, and he knows why the international community view it as illegitemate.

This wont rest easy with him, he needs elections for legitimacy.

I don't really see this as he can command a majority, so therefore has democratic legitimacy.Certainly there has been a rather odd path to power, and there's a need for less ambivalence on some issues.At some point in the near future however he will need to assert his national legitimacy by dissolving the house and calling for elections.Personally I hope will have at least have sufficient time to show what he's made of.It's not necessarily a disadvantage that expectations are low in some quarters.

I think most of the people in the tourist industry who blame the closure of airports for the drops in tourism find this conclusion less frightening than the prospect that their industry will suffer very hard the coming 2 or 3 years. Personally I think that because of this financial crisis many companies in the leisure industry will face bankruptcy.

All of this is not meaning that the closure of the airports have no effect at all, but its IMHO strongly overrated.

Your predictions about the future very well might be correct, but a lot of people had already booked vacations for this year and had intended to take them. Things would not have been as lucrative as other years, but it was already obvious that it would not have been a bad high season if things in Thailand had remained stable and businesses could have save a little cushion for the low season. However, certain fascist thugs took over the airport and ruined high season for almost everybody. :o

Facist Thugs??

I only see them outside parliament wearing Red shirts and injuring people and damage property and vehicles.

phupaman

You must have missed the ones with yellow shirts who blocked buidings, streets and airports and have ruined many peoples incomes in Thailand.

read again please I wrote

I asked the question before, but I never get an answer, so I will ask it again

To all the expatriates who seems to be in favour of Thaksin

WOULD YOU LIKE IF A GUY LIKE THAKSIN WAS PM IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY?

If not to personal you can always tell us what is your home country.

emphasize

TO ALL EXPATRIATES This is clearly not a personal question to you. That this question is asked in your topic is purely accidental.

(your mistaken post "To all the expatriates who seems to be in favour of Thaksin" in a reply to me...lumping me into the "seems to favor group", hence my reply, so no I don't need to read again, but you should post more carefully to avoid confusion next time :o )

You wrote that in your opinion Thaksin is scum. In my opinion this is meaning you are happy that Thaksin and his party is out of the game.(my happyness is short lived, because of the way it went down, I am now left wondering if both sides use dirty tactics to win is the next guy going to be different?)

So now my questions:

do you think that Thaksin and his party was out of the game without the actions of the PAD?

(yes, I believe if they went about it purely democratic way they would have gotten to Thanksin's crownies out, just not as fast)

do you really think that leaving the former government 2 or 3 years longer in power controlled by Thaksin was beneficiary for the country? (no one knows how much longer it would have been, but yes if thats what it took to do it democraticly that is whats best.

I hate BUSH with a passion and I am all for people marching the streets in protest of him, but I would never ever support people taking over airports, trains, shutting down roads, taking tv stations in a effort to force him out.)

I'm a defender of democracy, and I presume so are you.

So we only have an disagreement about what is allowed as tools in a democracy to bring a government down. I don't know your nationality (if you read my post you just quoted you would see your answer), but as an continental European I think the PAD actions where legitimate, because they where used many times in continental Europe for the same reasons, and I presume you could be agreed with me that Europe is a democracy.

(just because a country is a democracy, does not mean the actions people take are always democratic, the actions PAD took to me are not democratic)

And you can't deny that besides a few regrettable incidents they have been very peaceful and without violence or burning and damaging shops, cars and public infrastructure. (yes no major fires or destroyed shops, only the taking of 4 airports, trying to silence the TV stations that did not report in their favor...thats does not fit into being democratic, part of being democratic is letting all sides be heard and people to make up their own mind, if you silent the oposing voice how is that democratic? Yet when asked the question most PRO-PAD actions people say its ok to take over the news stations)

So make up your mind and be honest with yourself, and share us your opinion about who is better for the future of the country Abhisit or Thaksin or one of his cronies. (is Abhisit better? I don't know I hope so but, time will tell... but the way he got into power looks very negitave to me and leaves me wondering if it will just be more of the same only from the otherside, Thinking that the people up north are Bangkoks servants does not sit well with me either)

I think its a very simply question to answer.

btw I never called Thaksin scum, even I don't like him at all. (You don't like him, I called him scum so??)

//edited to remove all the nested quotes.

do you think that Thaksin and his party was out of the game without the actions of the PAD?

(yes, I believe if they went about it purely democratic way they would have gotten to Thanksin's crownies out, just not as fast)

do you really think that leaving the former government 2 or 3 years longer in power controlled by Thaksin was beneficiary for the country? (no one knows how much longer it would have been, but yes if thats what it took to do it democraticly that is whats best.

So if the cronies did had the change to change the constitution to make it possible that Thaksin came back to power its was OK for you, even when it was meaning ruining the country?

I respect your opinion to reject the actions of PAD, but you should think about the meaning of this old quotes.

Carl Schurz: The peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: "Our country -- when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right."

H. L. Mencken:

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.

A true patriot is the one who defend his country against the wrongdoings of his government.

unkown source

The PAD just follow those quotes.

Yes, he'd still be better than the leadership where I live. Even if 15% of the state budget did mysteriously vanish.

And where do you live I ask you friendly?

Hi.

What's wrong with him asking to send SMS to everyone? I have phones on three different networks, with my boyfriend's phone that's four different networks, and among us we get a good 10 unsolicited SMS every single day... some from the network operators (specially TRUE!!!) theselves, others from all sorts of companies advertising all sorts of products and services.

If the Telco's can give our numbers to SUCH people/companies, then why not to the new prime minister??

Best regards....

Thanh

^Then you won't object to the reds doing precisely the same thing and having a big tea party on the airport approach roads.

And I trust you won't be calling for them to be evicted !

I don't see myself calling for them to be evicted.

This would be a conflcit between the govt and the people, it can't be resolved by force. I hope Abhisit won't give reds a reason to block the airport, but if they do - he'd have to negotiate, not blow them away with water cannons, or tear gas. That;s what every government does with every protesting group. Yesterday Bangna Trad road was blocked by auto workers, for example, no one even thought about dispersing them by force. It is simply not Thai way of resolving conflicts.

..the courts clearly have no intention of appling the law to any of the misdeeds of PAD (who were backed and protected by we all know who).

Don't allude to "you know who", don't use it as an argument to advance your point, it's precisely the same thing people accuse PAD of.

Regarding this subject - I'm yet to see what law the courts should apply for airport takeover. Slimdog has given some clues, but, unless disruption of airport services is written into Thai law, it will be impossible to charge PAD with that.

I don't see any big criminal/terrorist offenses, but they can sue them for damages, maybe they'll get slippers off Chamlong.

On many other, sporadic acts of violence - who are you going to sue for that? Only actual perpetrators, I"m afraid, PAD leaders don't have criminal responsibility for what their guards did, PAD had policies that prohibit such behavior, like carrying guns. That is if you can sue PAD at all - as a legal entity it doesn't even exist, afaik.

I like how you don't comment on the other points... just the court order..... can't spin the answers to the other points?

And they did storm the control tower don't you remember... They did block airplanes from leaving and only gave some permission to leave... how were they not in control?

If taking the airport was ok as you say, why is it a good idea to "special armed units to prevent this kind of airport takeover in the future"? If was ok then surely its ok for other groups to do the same?

I think I replied to all valid points related to airport takeover.

I don't remember PAD storming control tower. It was reported on the second day of the siege that they had taken control over it but later was disputed as being untrue. Anyway, I said than on the first day there appear to be nothing to charge PAD for. Later on they might have done something clearly illegal.

They didn't "block" airplanes from leaving, if you imply that they blocked the runway. There have been no reports of what exactly the AOT and the airlines were afraid of when they negotiated with PAD which airplanes were free to take off and which weren't. There have been no reports of any threats from PAD (not that they couldn't carry them out). Have you seen any?

Sure, their presence at the airport was intimidating, but can you charge them for that?

Sure, their presence at the airport was intimidating, but can you charge them for that?

Lets just agree to disagree, you think no laws were broken and its ok for a group of 2,000-5,000 people to block the airpot.

I think its not ok for 3,000-5000 people to block the airport. I hope it never comes to this but if the RED's "block" the airport I hope you don't come on here saying its not ok.... If you truely believe its ok, then its fare for both sides to do it.

But at this point you see things one way, I see them another and lets just agree to see things different.

What's wrong with him asking to send SMS to everyone? I have phones on three different networks, with my boyfriend's phone that's four different networks, and among us we get a good 10 unsolicited SMS every single day... some from the network operators (specially TRUE!!!) theselves, others from all sorts of companies advertising all sorts of products and services.

it is still SPAM, a unwanted messages that that buffoon sends around. i got one today shortly before lunch 11:29 am. came from "Your_PM".

doesn't matter how many networks your boyfriend has, one, two or much more. it is spam.

Lets just agree to disagree, you think no laws were broken and its ok for a group of 2,000-5,000 people to block the airpot.

First, I don't know which laws were broken. There might be some.

It's not ok to block the airport, however what is "ok" here?

It's government's responsibility to maintain law and order in the country. If it pissed off enough people to lose control over the airport the size of Swb, it's not a mere question of ok or not ok. It was a people's revolution, the airport was effectively under sovereignty of PAD, as was the govt house for months before that. AOT recongnised PAD's power and authority there, not government's.

It's a lot more copmlex situation than simple "ok" or not "ok", and it's extremley difficult to apply regular laws to revolutions, they are not designed for that.

A Bland, Squeaky Clean, Yuppie Politician Becomes Prime Minister

Scoop

by Richard S. Ehrlich

The last time the Democrat Party won the prime ministry was in 1992 when Chuan Leekpai, a lawyer, achieved power and led a lackluster coalition until Thailand's devastating economic crash in 1997.

The right-wing extremists are already busy discounting the truthful article by Ehrlich. They just can't stand to hear the truth. They'll start quoting the Bangkok Post and Nation pretty quick in rebuttal.

The article actually fails the first test - is what you can easily check correct? While Chuan was the previous Democrat PM, his terms were 1992-5 and 1997-2001. The return to power was a consequence of Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's government precipitating the Asian crash of 1997.

they left BEFORE it was clear that the TRT/PPP/PTP group was not going to lead the next government.

Court cut 111 members out from TRT.

Cut some more recently in Dec.

As the result, PTP does not have many voices like they did in the past.

This was planned far ahead when they made the Constitution Law.

The key point is to punish Khun Thaksin and to reduce members of TRT/PPP/PTP.

The banning of the 111 did not reduce the number of Thaksinite MPs in any parliament, though it may have reduced the administrative talent available to it. (Not sure that the latter's true, though, given the mockery being made of the banning and dissolution penalties.)

Exactly if I shoot my gun in the air, and a stray bullet kills some one.... Even though my "intention" was not to kill some one, I still did, and its still illegal.

But the offence is reduced from murder (mandatory punishment in England of life imprisonment) to manslaughter (judge-determined prison sentence).

First, I don't know which laws were broken. There might be some.

It's not ok to block the airport, however what is "ok" here?

It's government's responsibility to maintain law and order in the country. If it pissed off enough people to lose control over the airport the size of Swb, it's not a mere question of ok or not ok. It was a people's revolution, the airport was effectively under sovereignty of PAD, as was the govt house for months before that. AOT recongnised PAD's power and authority there, not government's.

It's a lot more copmlex situation than simple "ok" or not "ok", and it's extremley difficult to apply regular laws to revolutions, they are not designed for that.

So, you would have me believe that the PAD are "revolutionaries"? Ha Ha Ha and they wielded so much "Power" and "Sovereignty" that the AOT humbled itself before them? The AOT had no option other than to close the Airports because of passenger safety! It is the role of the Police to maintain law and order, NOT the government! and if required the Army. Niether the Police nor the Army would intervine, that is where the power was, NOT with the PAD Thugs! I am sure that you prostrate yourself before them for their pleasure (and possibly yours).

FF

It's the Army and the Police's responsibility to follow the government's orders.

By what chain of command do you believe the Thai Army should follow the orders of any minister or committee of ministers?

In the UK there has been much principled opposition to the idea that the police should follow the government's orders. Does the President of the USA have any power of command over state police?

It's the Army and the Police's responsibility to follow the government's orders.

By what chain of command do you believe the Thai Army should follow the orders of any minister or committee of ministers?

In the UK there has been much principled opposition to the idea that the police should follow the government's orders. Does the President of the USA have any power of command over state police?

I would not compare to USA because this would not have happened there.... :o Plus Thailand and the united states have things set up different.

The closest thing we had to this type of thing in recent times is the Rodney king "protestors", and man were they unruly.... but the police tried and could not contain, army stepped in.... problem solved. They did not overtake the trains, government buildings, or LAX... they just burt down their own neighborhood....

Edited by MyphuketLife

it is still SPAM, a unwanted messages that that buffoon sends around. i got one today shortly before lunch 11:29 am. came from "Your_PM".

doesn't matter how many networks your boyfriend has, one, two or much more. it is spam.

Well...

My point is that i rather get a SMS from a politician every then and when than this stupid spam.

However they can't have sent too many of them... let's see... i got two active Hutch, two active True, one active D-TAC and one Cambodian Mobitel that's currently roaming on True. My boyfriend got one active True and one active AIS.

NONE (!!) of them received the SMS from "Your_PM".

Neither did anyone at my office (True, AIS and D-TAC present, accumulated some 20+ phones).

My opinion? Lotsa hot air.

Best regards....

Thanh

I would not compare to USA because this would not have happened there.... :D Plus Thailand and the united states have things set up different.

The closest thing we had to this type of thing in recent times is the Rodney king "protestors", and man were they unruly.... but the police tried and could not contain, army stepped in.... problem solved. They did not overtake the trains, government buildings, or LAX... they just burt down their own neighborhood....

The Rodney King riots were ages ago,

we get plenty of riots and street stuff,

it' just usually doens't get pres over the seas.

And states of Emergency get called.

And for Katrina the heads at the top was the real problems to be solved.

Right now Thailand finally has some thinking heads at the top,

instead of just talking heads.

Finally the ration of TVF talking heads is greater t

han Thai Government talking heads.

Thought I caught some of PM Abhisit's talk on CNN in the hotel

and he was quite lucid and credible. A breath of fresh air for sure.

So much :o is about to hi the fan were best to just let him

just get to work and not pig pile on more trouble to deal with :D

Edited by animatic

Wrong about that too MyPhuket --- in fact the riots spread and did affect public transportation centers as far away as Altanta Ga

But your problem is you are comparing Thailand to the US all the time"

The thai politics and usa politics are diffent and no the 1992 riots did not effect public transit centers in Atlanta...

Yup that is my problem I am always comparing Thailand to USA especially in this thread... every one of my posts has :o .... I have only responded to those bringing up America or answered the question what country are you from... get real spindoctor

Wrong again ... they shut down MRTA in Atlanta at 5 points station (I was there)

And yes you keep saying "this is a crime" and it "should be this way" .. not based upon what Thailand IS but on your western bias.