Looking For A Volunteer

metice

I currently help out with an AIDS orphanage not far from Bangkok. We are making a feature length documentary about a project that the children are involved with. We are looking for someone who speaks Thai and can help with interview translations etc... Also, it would be great if they could double-up as a boom mic operator (no experience needed). Filming continues until next spring and is mostly at weekends. PM me for more details.

I currently help out with an AIDS orphanage not far from Bangkok. We are making a feature length documentary about a project that the children are involved with. We are looking for someone who speaks Thai and can help with interview translations etc... Also, it would be great if they could double-up as a boom mic operator (no experience needed). Filming continues until next spring and is mostly at weekends. PM me for more details.

If you were to find someone with that level of English and Thai skills, I doubt they would also want to play the role of "gopher." (boom mic operator/coffe getter etc)

I assume no work permit is provided. Good job for a Thai citizen to do.

If it is volunteer, then is a work permit needed?

I have done some volunteer work at an orphanage, and I never even considered needing a work permit (I have one now, but I didn't then.)

If I could speak Thai well enough to serve as a translator, I would certainly consider this. "Payment" comes in many forms, money only being one of them. Feeling good about yourself can sometimes be worth more than anything else.

And ain't that just one of the great things about the system. They can nick you for volunteering unless you cough up money for the right paperwork. Now if they had enough cash themselves to provide all the services the volunteers provide ............. ! Of course, no profit in that !

Bonobo, take a look at this recent thread. It says something about volunteering and workpermits.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Volunteer-Wo...mp;hl=volunteer

Well, I don't know what to say.

I have rather enjoyed playing with the kids, especially the HIV kids, but I don't know if I should risk it now. What a shame.

But then again, are work permits job-specific? I have my permit for my factory. Would that cover me for something like this?

Bonobo, take a look at this recent thread. It says something about volunteering and workpermits.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Volunteer-Wo...mp;hl=volunteer

Well, I don't know what to say.

I have rather enjoyed playing with the kids, especially the HIV kids, but I don't know if I should risk it now. What a shame.

But then again, are work permits job-specific? I have my permit for my factory. Would that cover me for something like this?

Yes they are job specific and location specific. They even wanted a picture of the desk where I work!

Let the Thais do it. Their country, their laws, their responsibility, their karma. They can do it, they even understand the language, culture, and food.

If the Thai government makes it too difficult by requireing a work permit, so be it. Then by default, it will be mostly Thais helping other Thais.

But your reasoning here is somewhat baffling. The world is full of both secular and non-secular relief organizations, and most, in my opinion, do a lot of good. CARE, HOPE, the Tzu Chi Foundation, the Catholic Childrens Fund, Islamic Relief USA, Doctors Without Borders--these are just a few of the many organizations which provide international aid, and I think this is admirable. Aid should be given by those who have to those who have not, and not just in one's own country.

Let the Thais do it. Their country, their laws, their responsibility, their karma. They can do it, they even understand the language, culture, and food.

If the Thai government makes it too difficult by requireing a work permit, so be it. Then by default, it will be mostly Thais helping other Thais.

But your reasoning here is somewhat baffling. The world is full of both secular and non-secular relief organizations, and most, in my opinion, do a lot of good. CARE, HOPE, the Tzu Chi Foundation, the Catholic Childrens Fund, Islamic Relief USA, Doctors Without Borders--these are just a few of the many organizations which provide international aid, and I think this is admirable. Aid should be given by those who have to those who have not, and not just in one's own country.

I hate to confuse a bonobo.

I did charity work, off and on, and NGO and religious charitable work, paid and unpaid, all my life. Even taught English for free to Thai orphans. Charity work is good, righteous, good karma, etc. But if it is illegal, I have 99% less incentive to do it. We are not discussing cash donations. Work is illegal, so let the Thais do the work.

"work" means engaging in work by

exerting energy or using knowledge

whether or not in consideration of wages

or other benefit;

Working of Aliens Act B.E .2551

Section 5

I have a work permit for IT work in my office so I can post in ThaiVisa.

Are you a legal poster?

anyone.gif

I hate to confuse a bonobo.

I did charity work, off and on, and NGO and religious charitable work, paid and unpaid, all my life. Even taught English for free to Thai orphans. Charity work is good, righteous, good karma, etc. But if it is illegal, I have 99% less incentive to do it. We are not discussing cash donations. Work is illegal, so let the Thais do the work.

OK, that makes more sense, considering the general tone of your body of posts here in TV.

So, what about all the moderators on this Forum who live in Thailand? Do they all have work permits for moderating these forums? I can guess that some of them get a salary and some newbies are volunteering for free. And remember too that a work permit is only valid for the one location of employment.

Moderating forums is also a job.

Edited by ThaiEye

You forgot their culture to, so according to them these aids victims got what they deserved from their previous life no doubt?

Since reading the topic about the poor sod who's car broke down and got busted because he tried to fix the car himself at a gasstation I rarely I hold up doors for others or give money to beggars. The law is the law, and it is written in such way that if you are on a tourist visa you are only allowed to engaged in holiday activity. Personally I don´t consider holding doors to others and giving money to beggars holiday, besides who dare to take the risk? Mind you I rarely pour my own drink because of this law...

PS A real bad attempt to be ironic DS

Edited by Hawkup2000

Since reading the topic about the poor sod who's car broke down and got busted because he tried to fix the car himself at a gasstation I rarely I hold up doors for others or give money to beggars. The law is the law, and it is written in such way that if you are on a tourist visa you are only allowed to engaged in holiday activity. Personally I don´t consider holding doors to others and giving money to beggars holiday, besides who dare to take the risk? Mind you I rarely pour my own drink because of this law...

sarcasm maybe, ironic, too early to tell mate. let me drink on it.

And ain't that just one of the great things about the system. They can nick you for volunteering unless you cough up money for the right paperwork. Now if they had enough cash themselves to provide all the services the volunteers provide ............. ! Of course, no profit in that !

so true how crazy to have to get a work permit to volunteer,in some areas of thailand especially up near the burmese border they need all the help they can get.

I hope he wasnt driving the car as well a s a Thai could do that job (chauffeur), come to think of it who wipes his Ar*e? as a Thai could do that too although maybe not to same standard and it may require several attempts. Just when is something you can do for yourself NOT a job according to Thai law, I'd like to know?