Possibilities For Having A Sabbatical Year In Thailand?

im 24 yo citinzen of the netherlands and will at the end of 2009 going to Thailand for

a year vacation, how and what kind of visa should i apply for and where?

i have no high education level so a visa for work is not a possibility

and it should be more like a sabbatical(vacation) year.

at the end of 2009 i should have between the 15.000 and 20.000 euros to spend.

in march i go to thailand again for a 3 week vacation so i can sort some things out,

but maybe you can guys can give some info about what i already can prepare there on my vacation for my sabbatical?

A multiple entry non immigrant "O" visa is what you want. You will get 90 days each time you come into Thailand and will have to leave every 90 days. This is good for up to 15 months if you make the last border run just before the visa expiry date.

If you were offered a job you could obtain a work permit on this visa.

Is this correct ?

In the recent past I obtained a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa. I once requested a longer visa and was told that none was available and that the 6 months option was my only option. (This was from the UK).

I’m not sure that being ‘not married to a Thai’ or under 'retirement age' whether or not the Op can obtain a type O visa.

Someone will know for sure – But to the Op, my belief is that the best way is to be honest and contact your local Thai Consulate. As they will be the ones issuing your visa you will get the information you need without speculation.

ive read on a dutch website of the thai embassy

that if i can show a contract of rented house i can get a non immigrant visa(90 days)

and i probaly could exchange it for a year visa, but i have to do that in thailand.

but there are some terms, but its not saying what kind of terms there are,

anyone who can tell me more about that?

i dont have the time to go to the thai consulate or thai embassy,

because of my work.....

but i will make time if i dont get the info i need here.

this way is more easier and helpful for others with the same plans.

thats the ground base of this forum.

otherwise we can say to everyone to go to the consulate. :o

Edited by Sylvester24

When you arrive in Thailand with a single-entry non-O visa you receive permission to stay for 90 days. You cannot change this visa to “a year visa” in Thailand but if you meet any of the conditions for extension of stay listed in Police Order 777/2549 you can apply for an extension of stay at an immigration office in Thailand. Rental of a condominium does not qualify you for an extension.

--

Maestro

You could go for an ED visa (see adverts at page top) and learn to speak Thai.

However a little alarm bell has gone off in my mind. You say by end 2009 you should have 15 to 20k euro? Is this all the collateral/assets you will be able to gather and are you planning to blow the lot? I would suggest you leave a reasonable amount behind for your return and rehab into Dutch society. You will be going back to no job, and the prospects for work in the future are anything but rosy at present, so you will need a safety net. There will be those who'll say "don't bother with all that <deleted> I came here in 2001 with ten euros in my pocket and have done alright". The world has suddenly changed and unfortunately not for the better and nobody wants to be reading about a Dutch beggar on Sukhumvit back end of '09.

Best of luck and, assuming you go through with it, enjoy your time in Thailand.

thanks for the tip of the ED visa by that school,

when im there on vacation in march i will visit it and see how it works there.

at the end of the year i have 15-20 k, i couldnt find the right words at the time of typing it.

then i will still have a car here in holland and the car is worth around the 15k

so that will be enough to back me up, if i hit the ground for some reason.

i will found it out in march

but if i understand the website well

i pay for the education, send the things they need and can go to the thai consulate for an ED visa

without going to thailand

so i dont have to go to thailand with a tourist visa

and arange the ED visa in a neighbour country

i can arange it all from holland?

Hi Sylvester,

Ed visa is a reliable solution to stay in Thailand for one year.

I represent a Thai Language School called My Thai Language School and you can see our advertising in the Thai Language section of this website.

You're welcome to visit us at anytime if you're interested to apply for non-immigrant ED visa and at the same time get quality Thai Lessons.

Feel free to contact me in private message if you have any enquiry.

Regards.

MTL Ae from My Thai Language School.

Non imm O or non imm B multiple entry visa should be easily obtainable in the Netherlands. Have someone that owns a registered company with the KvK (Chamber of Commerce) write a letter that you are stationed in Bangkok to source products for the company in the Asia-Pacific region and/or are required to meet with businesspartners in the region. Clearly state that you are stationed in Bangkok with your residential address. Also take some documentation of the company with you. In the letter state that the company is financially responsible for you.

Should be very easy, you should get a non imm B multiple. I have been doing this for years. Be polite dress well, prepare all documents in advance and you should have the visa on the same day or the next working day.

Attendence is one of the requirements to get an extension so if you do not attend class you will not get your extension every 90 days. Some schools will be more flexable on this but I am sure most will want you to attend at least some of your classes.