Abhisit Urges Thaksin To Return Home

Jai Dee

New PM Abhisit urges Thaksin to return home

New Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva urged on Thursday convicted ex-PM Thaksin Shinawtra to return home to face corruption trials.

Abhisit guaranteed that Thaksin will be treated honourably as a former premier. But every legal process will proceed according to law.

"First of all, however, Khun Thaksin has to accept the country's legal procdures," Abhisit said.

Speaking in an interview with a news talk programme of Channel 7, he said Thai people have mercies and are ready to forgive if one accepted his guilt.

Commenting on reports that red shirt protesters prepared to rally against him, Abhisit said it was their rights to express their dissatisfaction, they can come out to protest.

"However it will not be acceptable if they plan or intend to harm other peoples. They must not do that because those moves would not help anything and most people do not want to see," he said.

He said he has no problems with demonstrations because Thailand is a democratic country, he said, adding he will try to understand those who had disagreement.

He accepted that Thais may not be able to be united within three to six months, but people will feel relieve that Thai political conflicts were not escalated to more violence.

Source: The Nation - 18 December 2008

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

he can be very content with the thai jurisdical system (which the old money part of ruling class still control) and with taking power back into their hands that easily, and on this base making an offer to taksin and prognosing his government chanses of existance for the next 3-6 months - but we can only see how history will develop. I think he is too optimistic

Edited by londonthai

Just keep on dreaming. To face a kangaroo court it will never happen

Well he had no problem facing a kangaroo court when he was in power - why now can't he do the same? Oh, that's right - this time he can't determine the outcome. He'll wait until he feels he can. Let's just hope that day never comes.

1) You really shouldn't insult the courts here.

2) Thaksin said he respected and trusted the courts ... shortly before they convicted him.

Maybe the new PM read ThaiPaully's advice here on ThaiVisa. Taksin comes home, serves time in jail, and emerges as a humble, virtuous Thai saviour to lead Thailand into the 22nd centuiry...after he has served all his consecutive terms, I might add. In the footsteps of Czechoslavakia's Havel, South Africa's Mandela, India's Mohandas Gandhi, and M. L. King, Jr.

Maybe the new PM read ThaiPaully's advice here on ThaiVisa. Taksin comes home, serves time in jail, and emerges as a humble, virtuous Thai saviour to lead Thailand into the 22nd centuiry...after he has served all his consecutive terms, I might add. In the footsteps of Czechoslavakia's Havel, South Africa's Mandela, India's Mohandas Gandhi, and M. L. King, Jr.

Second time in as many days you've made the Gandhi Thaksin comparison. Are you feeling ok PeaceBlondie?

Second time in as many days you've made the Gandhi Thaksin comparison. Are you feeling ok PeaceBlondie?

I was beginning to think the same thing myself.

Thaksin is in the company of Suharto,Marcos, Berlusconi & Chen Shui-Bian not the above mentioned statesmen. Please. :o

I was just about to ask the same question

Thaksin's conviction and sentence by the courts could in reality be meted out to practically any of the ruling clique that own this country.

His offence is of little consequence in the scheme of things but his real transgression that cannot be forgiven without some punishment is his disrespect for the establishment that truly fears empowerment of the masses at their expense.

Whatever one thinks of Thaksin personally he did manage to do the right thing, recognising the poor of Isaan as a constituency upon which to build power, albeit for the wrong reasons. In a land of dubious ethics that was some progress but a worrying step for the elite.

The guy knows this and would be quite to foolish to return now at a time when the establishment has retrenched itself so firmly. Perhaps when Newin Chidchob's cabal achieves greater influence within the coalition we might see a deal struck more to his liking.

I was wondering if you were just thinking of asking the same question, Fred.

I can see the comparison. Maybe Thaksin, who is apparently very well liked in certain parts of Thailand, can re-invent himself, Maybe he'll learn to redirect his obvious powers of influence to do some good for the people of Thailand. I doubt it, but let's try to add some positive influence to the idea.

1) You really shouldn't insult the courts here.

2) Thaksin said he respected and trusted the courts ... shortly before they convicted him.

Or: "1) You really shouldn't insult the kangaroos." :o

If Abhisit can have his boss make a deal with the military courts, I think Thaksin will return.

Who is the boss of Abhisit and you know that the courts have nothing to do with the military in Thailand?

Sorry, you'll have to look further than ASTV for the answer, my friend. Don't be afraid of the international press.

I was wondering if you were just thinking of asking the same question, Fred.

I can see the comparison. Maybe Thaksin, who is apparently very well liked in certain parts of Thailand, can re-invent himself, Maybe he'll learn to redirect his obvious powers of influence to do some good for the people of Thailand. I doubt it, but let's try to add some positive influence to the idea.

You must be confused. it is all about money and power and has nothing to do with doing /influencing good for Thai people or Thailand

If Abhisit can have his boss make a deal with the military courts, I think Thaksin will return.

Who is the boss of Abhisit and you know that the courts have nothing to do with the military in Thailand?

Sorry, you'll have to look further than ASTV for the answer, my friend. Don't be afraid of the international press.

Yet again ... 'unmentionable people'

siam4ever --- you know how lame it is to keep making these assertions with nothing to back it up, right?

siam4ever --- you know how lame it is to keep making these assertions with nothing to back it up, right?

Turn down the Fox News parody ASTV station screaching propaganda eternally and read an international journal with an open mind and you'll find it unnecessary to keep trying to justify an extreme right-wing power play.

Of course there's nothing to back it up...of course not; and you know it.

The unmentionable, PAD, military and elite...they are in power, nobody else. Abhisit is the face.

LaoPo

Turn down the Fox News parody ASTV station screaching propaganda eternally and read an international journal with an open mind and you'll find it unnecessary to keep trying to justify an extreme right-wing power play.

I haven't looked at ASTV since the PAD left the airport. But tell us Mr All Knowing ... who is the PM's 'boss'?

You know you have nothing but innuendo and when called to the carpet for it you still hide.

LaoPo --- who is in power? I think it is the Dem's in a sadly far too loose coalition. Maybe you know more wherever you are in the world than we know in Thailand?

I was beginning to think the same thing myself.

Thaksin is in the company of Suharto,Marcos, Berlusconi & Chen Shui-Bian not the above mentioned statesmen. Please. :o

You forgot Idi Amin, Milosevic, Pol Pot, Mugabi and a number of others. :D

"First of all, however, Khun Thaksin has to accept the country's legal procdures," Abhisit said.

According to recent polls more than 90% of Thais have faith in courts.

Like it or not, but the courts act very much in sync with the rest of the country, whether it is run by kangaroos or elf wizards, and Thaksin has to accept that.

I'm pretty sure if he was caught in the west for insider trading, share concealment or tax evasion, he'd be locked away for a very very long time. Here he might still walk away a free man, after all.

how would your explain that estimated 10% prisoners in thailand are sentensed on trumped up charges. Police is corrupt, politicians are corrupt - don't think differently of courts

Like it or not, but the courts act very much in sync with the rest of the country, whether it is run by kangaroos or elf wizards, and Thaksin has to accept that.

I'm pretty sure if he was caught in the west for insider trading, share concealment or tax evasion, he'd be locked away for a very very long time. Here he might still walk away a free man, after all.

You've just won the ThaiVisa award for the #1 NAIVE post of 2008! Congratulations!

Was that an ABAC poll or what? Was that 90% of the military?

Sure there aren't any crooks involved in financial services in the West?

You've just won the ThaiVisa award for the #1 NAIVE post of 2008! Congratulations!

Was that an ABAC poll or what? Was that 90% of the military?

Sure there aren't any crooks involved in financial services in the West?

Regarding the poll I can't agree with you more... where is this poll can you send a link to the poll and results?

On the second point I can't believe I am defending him.... But he did not say or imply that the west had no crooks in financial services.... He said if a man in the west was commenting finincial fraud they would be in jail when they got caught..... Mr. T commented financial fraud was convicted but has not yet spent time in jail.....